A rare great article by Manish on how the Jets brass have failed Sam

The Bills are two years ahead of the Jets on their rebuild, so it's not fair to compare the fortunes of the two quarterbacks when it comes to team performance.

You couldn't find a single GM who would pick Allen over Darnold if they had their choice of either one this very day.  Allen is a running back.  Darnold is a quarterback.

SAR I

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Bills are two years ahead of the Jets on their rebuild, so it's not fair to compare the fortunes of the two quarterbacks when it comes to team performance.

You couldn't find a single GM who would pick Allen over Darnold if they had their choice of either one this very day.  Allen is a running back.  Darnold is a quarterback.

SAR I

I disagree on that. I personally think Allen is better than Darnold.

As for GM’s, I did see an article from a former GM that said Sam is a good year behind Allen as far as development goes. I don’t remember his name though.

Edit: found it...

“In my opinion, he's (Darnold) a year behind Josh Allen on the learning and developing curve.” - Former Saints & Dolphins GM, Randy Mueller

Edited by DonMaynardFan
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Good QBs make WRs it’s not the other way around. Brady’s first year his wrs receivers were Troy Brown and David Patten. Then Deon Branch who did nothing when he was on Seattle. Darnold makes people around him better. Run the offense through the TE and running backs Brady made a living on that.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Once something else comes along Manish will be moving on. This is more about trying for a graceful exit than anything else.

(One more hit-piece as he is shoved through the door, also published today, going after Joe Douglas and Christopher Johnson too)

Jets brass is punting on 2020 season as players hope to break third-longest playoff drought in NFL

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
SEP 12, 2020 AT 6:30 AM

If you look at the other article he published today, looks like he wanted one more hit-piece as his outro, going after Christopher Johnson and Joe Douglas now:

The Jets are keeping their fingers crossed that they will remain afloat during a seemingly never-ending rebuild. The propagandists will roll out predictable talking points, but actions scream louder than words for the 2020 Jets.

They don’t particularly care about this season.

Gang Green hopes that they can be competitive to end a nine-year playoff drought, but dig up Wonder Woman to lasso the truth out of the brain trust. They’ll all tell you variations of the same truth: It’s likely going to be tough sledding with the significant roster turnover, dearth of pillars, mercurial head coach and pandemic restrictions that altered their preparation for the season.

“I would disagree that we’re punting on 2020,” general manager Joe Douglas said.

With all due respect, I would disagree with that disagreement.

Ownership and financial gatekeepers placed cash-flow restrictions in Douglas' first full offseason. The result: An influx of subpar to mediocre players, who will likely reveal themselves to be who they’ve always been.

The Jets opted to sit on a mountain of salary cap space (about $35 million) rather than add quality players in obvious areas of need despite losing their two top defensive players via trade (All-Pro Jamal Adams) and COVID-19 opt-out (Pro Bowler C.J. Mosley).

Even the most ardent supporter would agree that the organization didn’t exactly operate with a sense of urgency this offseason. There’s a fine line between selling the farm to recklessly go all-in and being strategically aggressive to move a rebuild along. The Jets have placed a greater emphasis on 2021 rather than make earnest attempts to break the NFL’s third longest playoff drought.

“Our goal is always going to be playing in January,” head coach Adam Gase said. “Always going to be the goal. A lot of things happen. We have to adjust. We have to do everything we can to make sure that’s where we end up. We’re always going to be shooting to do that and that’s going to be the goal this year. You want to get to January where a lot of good things are happening.”

It’s a critical season for Gase, who underwhelmed by every objective measure in his first year in charge after pushing out the man who helped hire him when nobody else would to usher in his preferred choice of general manager.

In a year when CEO Christopher Johnson hailed Gase as an “innovator” who was “coaching football to where it’s going,” Gase’s offense finished 31st or 32nd in scoring, total yards, rushing, first downs, third-down conversion, Football Outsiders' rushing, passing and overall efficiency rates.

Gase, who has had three consecutive losing seasons in his four years has an NFL head coach, has plenty to prove given a nearly two-decade long track record of losing. He’s been a part of a team with a winning record just four times in 17 seasons.

Three of those four winning campaigns came with future first-ballot Hall of Famer Peyton Manning running the show. In other words, Gase has been a part of one winning team in his NFL career without Manning.

Adams' admission to the News before he was traded that “I don’t feel like [Gase] is the right leader for this organization to reach the Promised Land” was a stinging indictment of the coach who needed his defense to rally the team to a 7-9 finish last season.

Losing Adams and Mosley will undoubtedly put more stress on Gregg Williams' defense that was remarkably efficient in 2019 despite a spate of injuries. It’ll be incumbent upon Gase’s offense to hold up their end of the bargain for the Jets to have a prayer of making the postseason for the first time since Rex Ryan made a second consecutive AFC Championship Game run in the 2010 season.

“The first thing we talked about was making sure the locker room was right, making sure those guys are all working together,” Gase said. “You want the kind of locker room when adversity strikes, you’re looking for the guys that are going to put their head down and go to work, not the guys that are going to kind of get in little cliques and talk amongst each other and disrupt.”

A re-worked offense that includes four new offensive linemen and two new wide receivers must gel quickly to give Sam Darnold a chance to take a significant leap in his third season. A slimmer and re-focused Le’Veon Bell, coming off his worst season, declared that “I’m ready to show this is the best Le’Veon Bell that has every played in the NFL.”

But will Gase deploy him in the best way to maximize his prodigious skillset?

“There is a different vibe,” Darnold said. “There are going to be ups and downs throughout the season. There always are. For us, it’s continuing to stay positive… If a quarter doesn’t go where we want, if I throw a pick or someone fumbles, it’s like, we just have to sustain that positive energy.”

Players and coaches are hard-wired to win now, but decision makers appear to have prioritized the future over the present.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-2020-preview-main-20200912-y7rmthwb35feflm6tq2ga33zly-story.html

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I can't read it without paying for it. Please paraphrase.

Basically, both players were drafted the same year, within 4 picks of one another, yet their teams are drastically different. The Bills built their time wisely and quickly and the Jets signed an expensive older RB, gave Sam no receivers, traded their best player, etc etc. Said Bills are Super Bowl contenders while Jets are not even playoff hopefuls yet they were both picking top 10 a few years ago.

I guess I misread the room, but I thought it was a pretty good article and that he made some good points.

26 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Basically, both players were drafted the same year, within 4 picks of one another, yet their teams are drastically different. The Bills built their time wisely and quickly and the Jets signed an expensive older RB, gave Sam no receivers, traded their best player, etc etc. Said Bills are Super Bowl contenders while Jets are not even playoff hopefuls yet they were both picking top 10 a few years ago.

I guess I misread the room, but I thought it was a pretty good article and that he made some good points.

Does Manish mention in that same article that he thought that signing Bell, the aforementioned "expensive older RB", was a brilliant move? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DonMaynardFan said:

Um, don't ask Jets fans to clink on a link to a Manish article. The dude lost his credentials because he likely did crap that lacked integrity as it related to his job as a Jets beat writer. 

• Upvote 2

Darnold has enough weapons and a better O line. Two good pass catching TE’s and Bell, Crowder, Perriman and Hogan are enough to work with.  Darnold has to take the reigns and make it happen. Run for a 1st down when needed. Audible into the right play. Do whatever is needed to make it work. It’s on Darnold. Sure the O line needs time to jell. Sure we could use Mims and another top receiver but there is enough to make it happen. Time for him to prove he’s better than Allen and can be our franchise QB.

• Upvote 4

I don't want to believe they're punting on the season, but a million kickers who are more proven than Sam Ficken shook loose and I don't think one of them was brought in for a look.  

Also terrible handling of the WR position.  Darnold is going to start this game today with two guys he has thrown a pass to in an NFL game in Crowder and Berrios.  Why not bring DT back to possibly offer some stability?

I won't say they're punting on the season, but they are running a QB draw on 4th and 25.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

There is one reason for the Jets not having adequate talent around Darnold and his name is Mike Macaggnan.

So because Mac was a sh*tty GM, it's his fault that the Jets didn't take advantage of a historically deep WR class?  How so?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

Whoever they would’ve gotten in the draft in mid rounds wouldn’t be any more NFL ready than Chris Hogan.   That’s not the issue here.

Fair point.  Trying to upgrade from the immortal street free agent Chris Hogan in this class would have been impossible.

6 hours ago, tfine said:

Good QBs make WRs it’s not the other way around. Brady’s first year his wrs receivers were Troy Brown and David Patten. Then Deon Branch who did nothing when he was on Seattle. Darnold makes people around him better. Run the offense through the TE and running backs Brady made a living on that.

And the best OL coach in the league... Give me a break with that sh*t... Brady was protected his whole career. 

• Upvote 1

The article is exactly right.

Two things here to note....

1) Mac was entirely incompetent, so what he did had no strategy behind it.  Really no way to know what was going through his mind when he traded away a major picks to move up and take a QB at #3 overall and then go on to put the rest of the team’s resources into defense.  Just no excuse or explanation.

2) JD seems to have a plan, whether it will work or not is a different question - at least it’s a plan.....But it’s clear Sam isn’t his guy, or - at best = isn’t sold on him.  

This team wasn’t built for A 3rd year franchise QB to succeed.  This team is being built to succeed two years from now.  When Sam is no longer the QB.

That fact has become obvious to most outsiders paying attention, except, once again, to the people on JN.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gase, who has had three consecutive losing seasons in his four years has an NFL head coach, has plenty to prove given a nearly two-decade long track record of losing. He’s been a part of a team with a winning record just four times in 17 seasons

Never forget that Manish's choice for HC over everyone else was Gase. His breathless fawning telling us "we got the right guy" sure has turned a corner, no?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

(One more hit-piece as he is shoved through the door, also published today, going after Joe Douglas and Christopher Johnson too)

Jets brass is punting on 2020 season as players hope to break third-longest playoff drought in NFL

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
SEP 12, 2020 AT 6:30 AM

If you look at the other article he published today, looks like he wanted one more hit-piece as his outro, going after Christopher Johnson and Joe Douglas now:

The Jets are keeping their fingers crossed that they will remain afloat during a seemingly never-ending rebuild. The propagandists will roll out predictable talking points, but actions scream louder than words for the 2020 Jets.

They don’t particularly care about this season.

Gang Green hopes that they can be competitive to end a nine-year playoff drought, but dig up Wonder Woman to lasso the truth out of the brain trust. They’ll all tell you variations of the same truth: It’s likely going to be tough sledding with the significant roster turnover, dearth of pillars, mercurial head coach and pandemic restrictions that altered their preparation for the season.

“I would disagree that we’re punting on 2020,” general manager Joe Douglas said.

With all due respect, I would disagree with that disagreement.

Ownership and financial gatekeepers placed cash-flow restrictions in Douglas' first full offseason. The result: An influx of subpar to mediocre players, who will likely reveal themselves to be who they’ve always been.

The Jets opted to sit on a mountain of salary cap space (about $35 million) rather than add quality players in obvious areas of need despite losing their two top defensive players via trade (All-Pro Jamal Adams) and COVID-19 opt-out (Pro Bowler C.J. Mosley).

Even the most ardent supporter would agree that the organization didn’t exactly operate with a sense of urgency this offseason. There’s a fine line between selling the farm to recklessly go all-in and being strategically aggressive to move a rebuild along. The Jets have placed a greater emphasis on 2021 rather than make earnest attempts to break the NFL’s third longest playoff drought.

“Our goal is always going to be playing in January,” head coach Adam Gase said. “Always going to be the goal. A lot of things happen. We have to adjust. We have to do everything we can to make sure that’s where we end up. We’re always going to be shooting to do that and that’s going to be the goal this year. You want to get to January where a lot of good things are happening.”

It’s a critical season for Gase, who underwhelmed by every objective measure in his first year in charge after pushing out the man who helped hire him when nobody else would to usher in his preferred choice of general manager.

In a year when CEO Christopher Johnson hailed Gase as an “innovator” who was “coaching football to where it’s going,” Gase’s offense finished 31st or 32nd in scoring, total yards, rushing, first downs, third-down conversion, Football Outsiders' rushing, passing and overall efficiency rates.

Gase, who has had three consecutive losing seasons in his four years has an NFL head coach, has plenty to prove given a nearly two-decade long track record of losing. He’s been a part of a team with a winning record just four times in 17 seasons.

Three of those four winning campaigns came with future first-ballot Hall of Famer Peyton Manning running the show. In other words, Gase has been a part of one winning team in his NFL career without Manning.

Adams' admission to the News before he was traded that “I don’t feel like [Gase] is the right leader for this organization to reach the Promised Land” was a stinging indictment of the coach who needed his defense to rally the team to a 7-9 finish last season.

Losing Adams and Mosley will undoubtedly put more stress on Gregg Williams' defense that was remarkably efficient in 2019 despite a spate of injuries. It’ll be incumbent upon Gase’s offense to hold up their end of the bargain for the Jets to have a prayer of making the postseason for the first time since Rex Ryan made a second consecutive AFC Championship Game run in the 2010 season.

“The first thing we talked about was making sure the locker room was right, making sure those guys are all working together,” Gase said. “You want the kind of locker room when adversity strikes, you’re looking for the guys that are going to put their head down and go to work, not the guys that are going to kind of get in little cliques and talk amongst each other and disrupt.”

A re-worked offense that includes four new offensive linemen and two new wide receivers must gel quickly to give Sam Darnold a chance to take a significant leap in his third season. A slimmer and re-focused Le’Veon Bell, coming off his worst season, declared that “I’m ready to show this is the best Le’Veon Bell that has every played in the NFL.”

But will Gase deploy him in the best way to maximize his prodigious skillset?

“There is a different vibe,” Darnold said. “There are going to be ups and downs throughout the season. There always are. For us, it’s continuing to stay positive… If a quarter doesn’t go where we want, if I throw a pick or someone fumbles, it’s like, we just have to sustain that positive energy.”

Players and coaches are hard-wired to win now, but decision makers appear to have prioritized the future over the present.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-2020-preview-main-20200912-y7rmthwb35feflm6tq2ga33zly-story.html

SAR I

This is another accurate article by Manish that JN doesn’t want to accept. 

There is no question this is a punt year for the Jets (As Manish called it)

It’s clear JD is not trying to win this year.  They’re not exactly “tanking” Or trying to lose - but they’re certainly not trying to win either.  This year is not about wins and losses for JD.  It’s about cleaning house of all things Mac - seemingly including Sam.

• Thumb Down 1

This is another accurate article by Manish that JN doesn’t want to accept. 
There is no question this is a punt year for the Jets (As Manish called it)
It’s clear JD is not trying to win this year.  They’re not exactly “tanking” Or trying to lose - but they’re certainly not trying to win either.  This year is not about wins and losses for JD.  It’s about cleaning house of all things Mac - seemingly including Sam.

I don’t believe this at all. JD has said repeatedly that the organization needs wrap there arms around Sam. You don’t completely rebuild the oline in one offseason if you weren’t trying to protect and nurture your QB.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, tfine said:

I don’t believe this at all. JD has said repeatedly that the organization needs wrap there arms around Sam. You don’t completely rebuild the oline in one offseason if you weren’t trying to protect and nurture your QB.

Rebuild the o-line?

cone on.  
Other than center he just took other teams backups and replaced our starters. 
we have no idea what Becton will be. New doesn’t mean better.  

I hope they are but he didn’t exactly build an all pro line.  

• Upvote 1

JD operated like a guy with a six year contract. He did not want to follow the same path as Mike McCagnan and have to tear down the roster two years into his GM tenure. 

It’s 100 percent the right approach, but Manish is right in that notion that you need be able to adequately evaluate Darnold. If you determine he’s not the answer you better be right about that:

1) You are going to need to invest significant assets to obtain a new QB

2) If Darnold resurfaces and puts it all together elsewhere you will have egg on your face. 

That said, Manish is a little early in his criticism:

1) let’s see how the season plays out 

2) It’s tough to see a scenario in which Darnold is not on the team next season. Even if this season is a disaster the Jets will get another year to evaluate him. 

Rebuild the o-line?
cone on.  
Other than center he just took other teams backups and replaced our starters. 
we have no idea what Becton will be. New doesn’t mean better.  
I hope they are but he didn’t exactly build an all pro line.  

Yes rebuild the Oline and your statement is false. He also replaced the RT (fant was a starter) and Van Roten who was a starter for CAR and blocking for mcaffery and drafted a franchise left tackle. So I mean if your idea of rebuilding the OL is signing 5 pro bowl OLman I could see your disappointment, but to say JD is sitting back and wanting Darnold to fail because he’s not “his guy” is pretty irresponsible

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app