### NY Jets 2020 Season Opener vs Bills ### - The Official Game Thread

Maxman

1 minute ago, jacarter220 said:

Josh beat that ass! Should have beat you by 40, but showed mercy.

If by mercy you mean fumbling twice & missing row extremely easy chip shot field goals, then sure, tons of mercy & stuff! 

will give it to you. Josh Allen looks better & Darnold looks like sh*t. still didn’t look like a playoff team to me.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If by mercy you mean fumbling twice & missing row extremely easy chip shot field goals, then sure, tons of mercy & stuff! 

will give it to you. Josh Allen looks better & Darnold looks like sh*t. still didn’t look like a playoff team to me.

One of which was actually good, as documented by the CBS crew. Yeah. Should have been 35-0 at the half. You're welcome for not making it too embarrassing.

Gase isn’t a good coach but darnold isn’t the answer either. A third year quarterback can’t make this volume of mental mistakes. Throwing the ball up for grabs, delay of game, running out of bounds when he should throw it away. He’s just not a smart quarterback. It’s Geno Smith all over again. Get him out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

10 runs in the 1st half against an at best, average, run defense. 35 passes to 16 runs for the game. That means only 31.3 percent of the plays were runs. Is the Jets passing offense really that prolific? 

No reverses, not many outside runs. Nothing to bring the heat off on the QB...who struggles under pressure.

Yes, Darnold's play is a problem, but Gase operates like he doesn't have to do anything because it's "Darnold's fault!"

I was on board with giving Gase a chance, but I’ve seen enough now. His only success in the NFL is being OC for a HOF QB who essentially called his own plays. The Fins fired him because he failed and we’ve now seen enough to call him a failure with the Jets.

To those blaming Darnold. He was bad in this game, but he’s looked good before, and unless you think Gase is a really good HC who is being held back by Darnold, the young man deserves a look while playing for a real NFL HC.

24 minutes ago, ausman said:

Lucked out.  Met game is on so no post game until much later.  Nothing like having to re-experience vomit right after it happens.  Oh... and the Mets are losing too!

Maybe the Jets and Mets will party tonight with a bunch of trashy Niagara Falls ho's and all of them get Covid, ending each other's seasons.

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Sam is NOT the problem. PERIOD!!!!!!!!

I am a BIG BIG Sam booster but he didn't play well!  Those are the facts....

Indeed I have posted the following more than a dozen times..... that Darnold is 7-1 when having AVERAGE OL Play with a QBR of 107 according to PFF...

But he didn't play well today..

That is reality....

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Sam is NOT the problem. PERIOD!!!!!!!!

Normally I would agree with you.

This was an extremely bad Darnold performance today.  Completely unacceptable.  First time I've been disappointed in him and hold him entirely responsible for a loss.  This is as bad as it gets at QB.  It's Year 3.  The receivers, while not great, are much better than what he had last year.  The OL, did a good job for the most part.  He missed wide open WR's, he made bad decisions in throwing into tight coverage, and running the ball out of bounds for a loss?  That's just awful.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Jets QB Sam Darnold still making the same mistakes | Observations from ugly loss to Bills

Updated 4:12 PM; Today 4:12 PM 
Sam Darnold Jets

New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold (14) is sacked by Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Addison (97), center rear, and Harrison Phillips, right, during the second half of an NFL football game in Orchard Park, N.Y., Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020.Jeffrey T. Barnes | AP Photo

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Sam Darnold saw the pocket collapsing before rolling out to the left, buying himself time as he gazed downfield.

The Jets quarterback saw a defender standing between himself and the first-down marker, so running on third down wasn’t going to move the chains.

Instead, Darnold twisted back and threw a pass across his body and over the middle for Jamison Crowder. As the ball floated through the air, it was easy to predict where it was landing.

Buffalo Bills linebacker Matt Milano jumped with Crowder, and he pulled down the interception with 5:48 left in the first half. The Jets already trailed 21-0, and things weren’t getting any better.

Nothing went right for the Jets in the first half, and despite a decent third quarter, the Bills were never threatened in a 27-17 victory on Sunday at Bills Stadium. 

The Jets had issues across the field. Penalties on both sides of the ball, a lack of pressure on Bills quarterback Josh Allen, dropped passes and the lack of a running game all played a role in a miserable first half.

But when Darnold had the ball in his hands — for the most part — he had time. He was able to roll out and buy time when needed, and he got off plenty of clean passes before pressure reached him. 

His early throws were frequently off target, forcing receivers to reach forward or back for the ball. Prior to his interception, the Jets went three-and-out on their first three drives, and the fourth ended in five plays after one first down.

Darnold ended the first half with his best pass of the day — a lofted throw to Le’Veon Bell downfield for 30 yards on a wheel route — and he added a 69-yard touchdown on a screen pass to Jamison Crowder in the third quarter.

But those throws came with the Jets far, far behind on the scoreboard. And the poor decisions and throwing miscues continued into the second half. 

When the Jets had the ball in the dwindling seconds of the third quarter — the game suddenly back within reach at 21-10 — Darnold rolled right, doing a good job buying time. As he raced closer to the sideline, it was clear nothing would be open downfield. But instead of throwing the ball away, Darnold was sacked by Tyrel Dodson for a five-yard loss.

On the opposite sideline, Bills quarterback Josh Allen collected the first win of his third NFL season. Allen, who went four spots behind Darnold in the 2018 NFL Draft, finished with a career-high 312 passing yards against the Jets on Sunday, completing 33 of 46 passes for two touchdowns and no interceptions. He also burned the Jets for 59 rushing yards and another touchdown on the ground.

Allen fumbled twice to kill two drives in Jets territory, and he missed a couple of easy throws that could have put away the game much earlier. But despite his mistakes, he showed the flash that makes the Bills offense dangerous.

Darnold still hasn’t done that with the Jets. And if New York wants to make anything out of 2020, Darnold needs to be the driver behind that play.

Other observations

- Running back Le’Veon Bell left the game in the third quarter with a hamstring injury, and he was listed as doubtful to return. He finished with 14 yards on six carries and 32 yards on two catches.

- Cornerback Pierre Desir appeared to be benched during the second quarter. Desir was replaced by Nate Hairston, and no injury update was provided on Desir, indicating he was indeed benched. The Jets signed Desir to be their No. 1 cornerback this season, and while he missed most of training camp with a hamstring injury, Desir committed a holding penalty in the end zone that set up the Bills' first touchdown, and he committed a pass interference penalty that sparked another touchdown drive.

- Linebacker Blake Cashman exited the game in the first quarter with a groin injury. He was listed as doubtful to return. 

- Marcus Maye, building off a strong training camp, had a terrific debut. He had 10 total tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

This was an extremely bad Darnold performance today.  Completely unacceptable.  First time I've been disappointed in him and hold him entirely responsible for a loss.  This is as bad as it gets at QB.  It's Year 3.  The receivers, while not great, are much better than what he had last year.  The OL, did a good job for the most part.  He missed wide open WR's, he made bad decisions in throwing into tight coverage, and running the ball out of bounds for a loss?  That's just awful.

SAR I

crowder and herndon sucked in the first half and herndon gave the game away in the 2nd half with that fumble.  the jets have terrible rbs and no running game, no speed at rb and now without robbie no legit deep threat.  every first down for the jets is a grind, they still have one legit offensive weapon in crowder.  the offensive talent is pathetic before you consider the qb.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

Gase isn’t a good coach but darnold isn’t the answer either. A third year quarterback can’t make this volume of mental mistakes. Throwing the ball up for grabs, delay of game, running out of bounds when he should throw it away. He’s just not a smart quarterback. It’s Geno Smith all over again. Get him out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm not at all convinced of Darnold right now, but Gase's horrific track record makes it beyond question that he needs to be the first of the two to go.  There's been way too many instances of players performing significantly better without Gase than with him, Tannehill obviously being the most significant example in this case.

That certainly doesn't mean Darnold should be assumed capable of turning it around with another coach, but it definitely is enough to say that Gase should never be allowed anywhere near another Jets' QB.  Ultimately, you first find yourself a coach who isn't a long-proven disaster at the job, and then give him (with Douglas) the opportunity to make the decision on how to proceed at the position as he sees fit.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not at all convinced of Darnold right now, but Gase's horrific track record makes it beyond question that he needs to be the first of the two to go.  There's been way too many instances of players performing significantly better without Gase than with him, Tannehill obviously being the most significant example in this case.

That certainly doesn't mean Darnold should be assumed capable of turning it around with another coach, but it definitely is enough to say that Gase should never be allowed anywhere near another Jets' QB.  Ultimately, you first find yourself a coach who isn't a long-proven disaster at the job, and then give him (with Douglas) the opportunity to make the decision on how to proceed at the position as he sees fit.

Truth.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If I was a betting man, I'd say the Jets will be moving on from him this off-season if he doesn't make huge leaps the rest of this season.

Hats off to JD if he actually does.  History of this franchise indicates his play will continue at this level, and we’ll give him an extension.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Hats off to JD if he actually does.  History of this franchise indicates his play will continue at this level, and we’ll give him an extension.

jd couldn't say it this offseason but i'm sure he was thinking about it when he dealt adams.  look at all the teams in the league, there are only a few who should be as bad as the jets who could need qbs - washington, jax, indy.  the jets have 2 firsts and 2 3rds.  douglas would be a fool not to take lawrence if he's got the first pick.  

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Allen handed the Jets the game and the Jets didn't do anything with it. 

I wouldn't take any victory laps if I were you.  A playoff team would have beaten the Jets by 50 today, not 10. 

SAR I

THAT is really what we are going with here? This was a sloppy game all the way around and there might be a couple more to get into form but thats kinda predictable.  From someone like you Id expect something better than the ol 'well my team didnt do well and we beat ourselves rather than you beating us'. Im not here for a victory lap, and fortunes can change so im not a rub it in your face kind of guy. I just expected something a little better honestly. I feel a little let down.

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Welp, SAR said it, so I know I’m not crazy.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, jacarter220 said:

One of which was actually good, as documented by the CBS crew. Yeah. Should have been 35-0 at the half. You're welcome for not making it too embarrassing.

We’re welcome? Dude, nobody comes into the game & shows mercy on purpose lmao.

“okay, we’re up 21-0, I invited Gase over for dinner tonight, Miss these field goals & fumble the ball twice.”

Y’all won the game, no reason to make yourself look stupid by defending the turnovers & missed opportunities. I still don’t see a playoff team as of today. Kudo’s to Josh Allen for improving, Brandon Beane for being a good GM who got good talent for him to grow around (as well as some nasty defensive pieces) & props to McDermott for being a steady & solid coach. The Bills have got it right. I have no issue saying that about our divisional rival if I’m telling the truth...but dude..y’all made some really bad mistakes..playoff team in 2020? I’ll wait a few weeks. Still a little too early to beat on your chests 2020 AFC East champs lmao.

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1212 said:

THAT is really what we are going with here? This was a sloppy game all the way around and there might be a couple more to get into form but thats kinda predictable.  From someone like you Id expect something better than the ol 'well my team didnt do well and we beat ourselves rather than you beating us'. Im not here for a victory lap, and fortunes can change so im not a rub it in your face kind of guy. I just expected something a little better honestly. I feel a little let down.

You guys are on the right path & I can’t hate on y’all for that or say anything negative. Let’s see how the rest of the year plays out. You guys outclassed us in every category today tho.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

i said lmfao...

people here were syaing Perriman was an UPGRADE...  he's not...  he's a downgrade....   but i was slayed for saying it....

Just now seeing this. Agree 100% thought you were serious about Perriman lmao. 

and you might of been on point with Sam. I think it’s time for this board to be honest & stop calling you & @Trolly McTrollface haters.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Just now seeing this. Agree 100% thought you were serious about Perriman lmao. 

and you might of been on point with Sam. I think it’s time for this board to be honest & stop calling you & @Trolly McTrollface haters.

Sam is a GREAT YOUNG KID. earnest af. Cant "hate" him....     am looking at what he does on teh field vs. what the hype was and wehat i THOUGHT i coild EXPECT. so far. pretty disappointing.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Sam is a GREAT YOUNG KID. earnest af. Cant "hate" him....     am looking at what he does on teh field vs. what the hype was and wehat i THOUGHT i coild EXPECT. so far. pretty disappointing.

Will it reflect the rest of the year? Probably not, still don’t think the jets “chosen one” misses wide open early that often. That 0-1 looks ugly & it stings.

• Upvote 1