Let's give Josh Allen credit

He's improved over the years. He's got good talent around him which good organizations give their QB's.

Sam on the other hand looks like the same player he was as a rookie. Part of that is on him, part is the coaching, and part is the talent around him.

But i'm not giving him passes anymore when he has games like this. Guys were open out there and he missed them all day long. He took a freaking sack by running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he could have just tossed the ball out of play. He still makes a ton of mistakes. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

COMP/ATT 33/46

PASS YDS 312

RUSH YDS 59

PASS TD/INT 2/0

2-YD RUSH TD

2 FUMBLES

He looked like a quarterback you can build around. I was wrong. If he ever gets those fumbles under control watch out. 

Well he did play the Jets so...

The thing that bothers me is that Josh seems to be held to a much higher standard than most other young QBs when it comes to his progress and success.

Is he a finished product? No. Is he a surefire, no-doubt-about-it franchise QB? No, not currently.vBut has he improved consistently since coming into the league, shown elite traits at times, made plays with his arms and legs, and shown that you can win games with him under enter? Absolutely. Has he piled up 4th quarter comebacks, game winning drives, and become just the second QB in NFL history to record 30 passing TDs and 15 rushing TDs across his first two seasons? Why yes, yes he has. Still, the haters always seem to be out in full force.

If Darnold had scored 29 TDs and thrown 9 INTS while bringing the Jets to the playoffs in his second season, then opened his third season with the stat line Josh Allen put up today, I can't help but think Jets fans would be ecstatic! If Baker Mayfield put up Allen's stats today, the NFL media would be right back to riding his jock like they did his rookie season.  And yet...with Allen? I'm guessing all I'll see on Twitter all week are GIFs of his fumbles and the two bad passes he made. 

Many people made over-the-top pre-draft judgements about Allen, and they're sticking to them come hell or high water. I'm not sure at what point -- if ever -- certain people will just say "you know what? I was wrong. He can play football". As it is, he was called a "parody of a QB prospect" coming out by one analyst. He has ALREADY proven that his floor in this league is much higher than most suggested, and we still don't know his ceiling.

Thanks to those who actually gave a little credit where it's due today. Not being sold on him yet? I totally get that. Still holding on to the laughable notion that he's a complete bust who can't play in this league? Just silly.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

54 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

COMP/ATT 33/46

PASS YDS 312

RUSH YDS 59

PASS TD/INT 2/0

2-YD RUSH TD

2 FUMBLES

He looked like a quarterback you can build around. I was wrong. If he ever gets those fumbles under control watch out. 

Guy looked great aside from a few bad misses & the fumbles but he owned a big piece of the impact on their offense. Guy showed up today. Never thought he was going to be much. He proved me wrong.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's improved over the years. He's got good talent around him which good organizations give their QB's.

Sam on the other hand looks like the same player he was as a rookie. Part of that is on him, part is the coaching, and part is the talent around him.

But i'm not giving him passes anymore when he has games like this. Guys were open out there and he missed them all day long. He took a freaking sack by running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage when he could have just tossed the ball out of play. He still makes a ton of mistakes. 

Geno special 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Team archer said:

He looked like a quarterback with help.

Dude stop it. People would of been building church’s for Darnold in NJ if he would of put up the numbers Allen did.

yes Allen has lots of help & lots of support. He also has a coach who can ply to his strengths but Allen made the throws. He made the reads. He played well. 

From one die hard jets to fan to the rest of you...get over yourselves. Allen is legit.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, JoshAllenSZN said:

The thing that bothers me is that Josh seems to be held to a much higher standard than most other young QBs when it comes to his progress and success.

It’s because he has shown more promise & is more lethal than the other QB’s in his class (Other than the 2019 MVP) with more success (playoff spot) media puts high expectations on guys. Consider it a good thing.

• Upvote 1

I’ve gotten bashed by many people for saying Allen is better but he just flat-out is.

It’s really hard to defend a QB with Allen’s type of skills.

Its not just the running, it’s his escapability. He can make blitzers miss with ease and it’s infuriating.

Then he can throw a ball on a rope to the sideline, AFTER the receiver made his cut. You shouldn’t be able to do that. That’s supposed to be a recipe for being intercepted. But his arm is so damn strong he can do it.

Yeah, the fumbles suck, but the pro’s outweigh the cons. I’d trade Darnold for Allen any day of the week ... though Buffalo’s GM would probably laugh at the offer.

Sam is just so damn “average” at everything. He has no one legit dominant skill. Boring as all get out. Like white rice.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DonMaynardFan said:

I’ve gotten bashed by many people for saying Allen is better but he just flat-out is.

It’s really hard to defend a QB with Allen’s type of skills.

Its not just the running, it’s his escapability. He can make blitzers miss with ease and it’s infuriating.

Then he can throw a ball on a rope to the sideline, AFTER the receiver made his cut. You shouldn’t be able to do that. That’s supposed to be a recipe for being intercepted. But his arm is so damn strong he can do it.

Yeah, the fumbles suck, but the pro’s outweigh the cons. I’d trade Darnold for Allen any day of the week ... though Buffalo’s GM would probably laugh at the offer.

Sam is just so damn “average” at everything. He has no one legit dominant skill. Boring as all get out. Like white rice.

As much as I’m off the Darnold wagon... Sam’s still got insane arm talent...he just keeps making the same mistakes that hold you back from winning football games. I think Allen presents the same challenge at times because he fumbles on those QB runs...but he clearly was way more impactful for his team. 

• Upvote 1