Sign in to follow this  
playtowinthegame

Scale of 1 to 10 what is your confidence level in Darnold?

It's pretty low but I'm trying to be real and just simply remember it's week 1 playing behind an entirely new OL with nothing but scrubs really around him.  He missed plays, they dropped balls, the OL missed blocks, there was just a little bit of everything but man, that was ugly.  Sometime I think he knows he's all we got and he just tries to do too much.

4 - I'll go with 4.  He's adjusting to a lot of new pieces and no preseason games.  Josh Allen has a lot more stability around him and they added Diggs who is awesome and Moss looks like he's going to be a player as well.  Just drastic differences in development and structure of those 2 young QB's.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Plus Buffalo has a much better HC than we do.

I've always maintained Gase scares me more than Darnold but now I think it's just toxic.  The way he tries to force his offense on a team that clearly cant execute it with a QB that it clearly deosnt fit his skill set is reminiscent of Mangini trying to run the 3-4 w/ 4-3 personnel. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Im not sure Darnold can fit into anything he's got terrible mechanics and makes terrible decisions. Even if things are going bad you just throw the damn ball away and come back the next play. At some point this kid has to step into a throw and he just does not unless conditions are totally Ideal and TBH conditions are NEVER totally ideal in the NFL. We all know you either have it or you don't as a QB and this kid just does not have it and it gets so bad at times he loses his situational awareness as well. being in year 2 of Gase's system he should be the guy out there directing things and he can't even get himself straight

Probably so but I still just feel like Gase is asking these guys to do things they cant and it's impacting Darnold to get into any rhythm or confidence.  Then he starts pressing and its bad.  I literally called that pick in the game thread. 

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

gase needs to get daolsed into an early rhythm and he did a much better job of it last year.  throw in that buffalo has a good D and the jet weapons are subpar and the jets really have no running game and you wind up watching an offense where every first down is a grind.  hogan gets no separation.  the rbs have no burst.  herndon sucked today.  the jets are very easy to defend, especially now that anderson is gone.  where does darnold go with the ball besides crowder?

For sure, very easy to defend.  Hogan is terrible.  Perriman is terrible.  Crowder and Bell are the only decent WR's and Bell went down.  The Herndon hype was a pure let down.  It's bad, for sure but so was Sam.  Just so many bad throws and mental mistakes.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Could be very possible and it could be they are both train wrecks ...being the Jets and all I would say it 2 trains on the same track on a collision course going 80mph

I think it's a bad fit, I think the team sucks and I think it's highly possible, Sam is a bust. 

55 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is exactly how I feel.  Today is the first time I feel like he is not going to be our franchise QB.

Gase is an awful coach and that is evident in not just the offense but the entire team.  And I understand the lack of continuity with our players and the lack of separation from the WRs, but Sam isnt improving the little things.  Back foot throws, poor mechanics, bad interceptions - its been 3 years and he is still making those mistakes.  

Watching as much football as I did yesterday, its ridiculous how bad our play design and play calling is.  Teams around the league are consistently getting players open or out in space.  Our best play yesterday was a WR screen where Crowder almost ran into his own guy and happened to break free.  On the biggest 3rd down we ran a TE screen?????????????? that turned into a fumble.   I really dont understand how Gase can be this bad.  

You didnt need to even look around the NFL, just look at the other side of the field and what Buffalo does to get their offense going.  Screens to multiple players all over the field, boot legs, roll outs, play actions (they werent running the ball well yet still effective), motion, outlets, misdirections....they had guys wide open all over the field by using creative play calls.

Buffalo has done an outstanding job of creating an offense built for Josh Allen (similar to what Balt. has done for Lamar Jackson) and here we are with Gase, running a complicated, slow, boring offense, predicated on WR's getting open down field and NONE of them can create any meaningful separation and when they did Sam missed them or they dropped it or they had a defender literally in their back pocket. 

Then you look at the Jets and we do NOTHING to make the game easier on Sam and easier on the absolutely atrocious weaponz he has, even the plays that we did scheme Bell open the level of difficulty on those throws is so high it stupid. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   I posted in another thread last night that nothing comes easy for this offense.  Nothing.  It’s a poorly constructed offense with players that are either not fits for it or are simply bad players.   Gase as a play caller has zero feel for what is happening on the field.  When Sam scrambles and gets outside the pocket, none of his receivers break off their routes and come back towards him, they just continue on the route as called.   This has to be coaching, if you were coaching them to adjust to the pressure and the scramble we wouldn’t see this happening.  

Even Gase’s screen game is simplistic and ineffective.  Look at what Sean Payton runs in New Orleans, his screen game is so creative, obviously it helps having the players he has, but the structure of the plays are so effective.  I think we are in a really bad situation where the roster and the play caller are just bad.   

lol - when they went 3 and out in back to back drives to start the game, Sam looking clearly rattled, brand new OL looking a bit shaky in pass coverage,...how did they respond on the next drive?  5 wide on 1st down, threw it 3 straight times, used 10 seconds of clock.  3 and out.  I mean, what the actual **** is wrong with you as a play caller in that situation?   Then next drive, 2 beautiful runs to start the drive?  1st down, maybe play action, get an easy look for Sam?  Nope, telegraphed the run, ran it straight up the gut and stuffed for no gain.  Like you said, no feel. 

Payton uses everything, with loaded weapons!!!  The Sanders TD, created beautiful motion, got the mismatch, wide open, I could have thrown that TD.  Did you see any of the Chargers game?  Completely different offense for Tyrod Taylor than what Rivers ran.  The Jags?  Completely retooled the offense for Minshew.  He had more TD's than incompletions. 

The Jets breaking in 8 new offense players this season from last, did nothing different.  Nothing.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company