Scale of 1 to 10 what is your confidence level in Darnold?

It’s just one game, but after seeing his whole body of work since we drafted him, I’m thinking he just is what he is, which is a not very good QB who sometimes makes spectacular plays to get everyone’s hopes up. Not seeing growth. He makes the same boneheaded plays he’s been making since the first pass he threw in the NFL. I think Joe D will be drafting a QB in the first round next year, and I also think the Jets are officially in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. 

It's pretty low but I'm trying to be real and just simply remember it's week 1 playing behind an entirely new OL with nothing but scrubs really around him.  He missed plays, they dropped balls, the OL missed blocks, there was just a little bit of everything but man, that was ugly.  Sometime I think he knows he's all we got and he just tries to do too much.

4 - I'll go with 4.  He's adjusting to a lot of new pieces and no preseason games.  Josh Allen has a lot more stability around him and they added Diggs who is awesome and Moss looks like he's going to be a player as well.  Just drastic differences in development and structure of those 2 young QB's.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

It's pretty low but I'm trying to be real and just simply remember it's week 1 playing behind an entirely new OL with nothing but scrubs really around him.  He missed plays, they dropped balls, the OL missed blocks, there was just a little bit of everything but man, that was ugly.

4 - I'll go with 4.  He's adjusting to a lot of new pieces and no preseason games.  Josh Allen has a lot more stability around him and they added Diggs who is awesome and Moss looks like he's going to be a player as well.  Just drastic differences in development and structure of those 2 young QB's.

Plus Buffalo has a much better HC than we do.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Plus Buffalo has a much better HC than we do.

I've always maintained Gase scares me more than Darnold but now I think it's just toxic.  The way he tries to force his offense on a team that clearly cant execute it with a QB that it clearly deosnt fit his skill set is reminiscent of Mangini trying to run the 3-4 w/ 4-3 personnel. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I've always maintained Gase scares me more than Darnold but now I think it's just toxic.  The way he tries to force his offense on a team that clearly cant execute it with a QB that it clearly deosnt fit his skill set is reminiscent of Mangini trying to run the 3-4 w/ 4-3 personnel. 

Im not sure Darnold can fit into anything he's got terrible mechanics and makes terrible decisions. Even if things are going bad you just throw the damn ball away and come back the next play. At some point this kid has to step into a throw and he just does not unless conditions are totally Ideal and TBH conditions are NEVER totally ideal in the NFL. We all know you either have it or you don't as a QB and this kid just does not have it and it gets so bad at times he loses his situational awareness as well. being in year 2 of Gase's system he should be the guy out there directing things and he can't even get himself straight

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

Im not sure Darnold can fit into anything he's got terrible mechanics and makes terrible decisions. Even if things are going bad you just throw the damn ball away and come back the next play. At some point this kid has to step into a throw and he just does not unless conditions are totally Ideal and TBH conditions are NEVER totally ideal in the NFL. We all know you either have it or you don't as a QB and this kid just does not have it and it gets so bad at times he loses his situational awareness as well. being in year 2 of Gase's system he should be the guy out there directing things and he can't even get himself straight

Probably so but I still just feel like Gase is asking these guys to do things they cant and it's impacting Darnold to get into any rhythm or confidence.  Then he starts pressing and its bad.  I literally called that pick in the game thread. 

23 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Started at 9. Down to 8.

Trying not to overreact to one bad game after the way he finished last year. But Sam was bad today, no disputing that.

Of the guys Sam played with last season only Crowder and Bell (half the game) were the same today I believe. The other 8 were all different. That’s no excuse but in a season with limited practices it can make it challenging... as does the Bills defense. 

Probably around here. He was bad today, but it's one game where the whole team seemed off in a season with no preseason games against real comp. 

It's gonna be even tougher next week against the 49rs. They need a serious turn around and I'm not sure where he is going to find help either. 

Just now, JiF said:

Probably so but I still just feel like Gase is asking these guys to do things they cant and it's impacting Darnold to get into any rhythm or confidence.  Then he starts pressing and its bad.  I literally called that pick in the game thread. 

gase needs to get darnold into an early rhythm and he did a much better job of it last year.  throw in that buffalo has a good D and the jet weapons are subpar and the jets really have no running game and you wind up watching an offense where every first down is a grind.  hogan gets no separation.  the rbs have no burst.  herndon sucked today.  the jets are very easy to defend, especially now that anderson is gone.  where does darnold go with the ball besides crowder?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Could be very possible and it could be they are both train wrecks ...being the Jets and all I would say it 2 trains on the same track on a collision course going 80mph

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

gase needs to get daolsed into an early rhythm and he did a much better job of it last year.  throw in that buffalo has a good D and the jet weapons are subpar and the jets really have no running game and you wind up watching an offense where every first down is a grind.  hogan gets no separation.  the rbs have no burst.  herndon sucked today.  the jets are very easy to defend, especially now that anderson is gone.  where does darnold go with the ball besides crowder?

For sure, very easy to defend.  Hogan is terrible.  Perriman is terrible.  Crowder and Bell are the only decent WR's and Bell went down.  The Herndon hype was a pure let down.  It's bad, for sure but so was Sam.  Just so many bad throws and mental mistakes.

• Upvote 1

honestly?

About 3-4

Eyetest shows that he just does not have the footwork, arm strength, accurracy or intangibles

So many people on this board have been crying out that they finally found the FQB that I have been (and still am) hoping that it was so but to my inexpert eye, it doesn't look it to me. Problem is that I trust you all rather than my own estimation even though I have been watching this game for well over 5 decades. 

What a shame    

39 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Darnold has a ton of talent in him, he just seemingly lacks one very important trait in a QB. The killer instinct. The cool under fire. The clutch ability. He always plays scared and overwhelms himself when too much weight falls on him. I believe that he is a better passer than Allen, but Allen has that cold-blooded trait. Darnold does not. Big games always scare him at a certain point. The only time where I haven't seen this is against the Texans and Cowboys. He just gets shaken too easily, can't have that. 

I agree.  Sam is not cut throat.  All the great QB's are relentless.  He makes the same mistakes over and over.  Can't stand his throwing mechanics.  

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Could be very possible and it could be they are both train wrecks ...being the Jets and all I would say it 2 trains on the same track on a collision course going 80mph

I think it's a bad fit, I think the team sucks and I think it's highly possible, Sam is a bust. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

For sure, very easy to defend.  Hogan is terrible.  Perriman is terrible.  Crowder and Bell are the only decent WR's and Bell went down.  They Herndon hype was a pure let down.  It's bad, for sure but so was Sam.  Just so many bad throws and mental mistakes.

qbs make bad throws.  the drops were horrible at the beginning, darnold needed those to get into a rhythm.  he also needed anderson for a home run threat.  the starting offensive personnel today was horrible.  there's no elusiveness or deep speed on display today.  just a group of plodding veterans who don't get much separation and inevitably darnold is running around throwing to guys who are not open and of course he forced his obglitory int.  watch redzone and you see how much worse the jets starting offense is.  there's nobody the bills had to worry about today.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, JiF said:

I think it's a bad fit, I think the team sucks and I think it's highly possible, Sam is a bust. 

I tried real hard not to say that last year and even in his rookie year, you know I'm the QB optimist. This year however I just cant do it and I agree he may just be a bust and the reason I think that is I'm seeing the same things over and over for 3 years now.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

I tried real hard not to say that last year and even in his rookie year, you know I'm the QB optimist. This year however I just cant do it and I agree he may just be a bust and the reason I think that is I'm seeing the same things over and over for 3 years now.

when you watch how bad the entire offense is, i wonder more and more if the douglas plan was to suck this year and draft lawrence.  the on-field talent is just brutal.

• Sympathy 1