Does Gregg Williams now deserve an airplane banner?

jetstream23

I don't think so, but his D was crap today.  Josh Allen ran and threw wherever he wanted.  The Buffalo QB took a snap, completed a crossword puzzle, then threw a completion.

Do we hold Gregg accountable or do we use the same personnel/roster excuse that we don't like to hear used for Gase?  I'd argue that the Buffalo D is better than the Buffalo O.

Curious at the thoughts on this.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think so, but his D was crap today.  Josh Allen ran and threw wherever he wanted.  The Buffalo QB took a snap, completed a crossword puzzle, then threw a completion.

Do we hold Gregg accountable or do we use the same personnel/roster excuse that we don't like to hear used for Gase?

And with a roster full of Pro Bowl D players no less..:getgreen:

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The defense isn't very talented to begin with. It's basically Bless Austin, Marcus Maye, and a couple of decent run defenders. 

We still don't have edge rushers. We still have to bring extra men to get to the QB. It's just not a very talented unit. 

Agree 100%.  Is it much worse than Chris Hogan, Frank Gore, Le'Veon Bell for one-half, etc. on offense?

The only reason the Bills offense slowed down was because of Allen's second fumble. The bills stopped using designed runs for Allen and he stopped scrambling forward and very clearly was trying to stay behind the line of scrimmage and throw the ball away instead of running it. They shut it down and the Jets still couldn't get them off the field. 

The Bills controlled the time of possession in the first half, having the ball for more than 20 minutes (40 minutes for the game), while the Jets only had the ball for nine minutes. 

Williams has had poor defense for years and years. He had a great year last season, but he generally doesn't do as well in the 2nd season. That's not going to be good with an offense this atrocious. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Gregg Williams has a resume he can point to that contains continued success in the NFL. Gase has the exact opposite. Williams deserves the benefit of the doubt, Gase does not.

Bingo.

If this keeps up for the season then Williams will definitely have some things to answer for, but for today, it's a bit different when a horrific performance is mostly an outlier for one (Williams) and a complete standard for the other (Gase).

• Upvote 2

At least GW has a track record overall and was even good here last year.  We can make the excuse that we were ridiculously short on LBs and that affected our ability to stop Josh Allen's running.  Then we went overboard to try to prevent it, which affected our pass rush.

I'm not ready to pile on GW right now but I am getting very tired of making excuses for this team. 

45 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Do we hold Gregg accountable or do we use the same personnel/roster excuse that we don't like to hear used for Gase?

I don't know? Is the D talent any better? They don't seem so. Just because the Jets have drafted heavily on D doesn't mean they've made good picks or developed them. The problem is that for multiple administrations (sport or politics pick either) the Jets haven't built a roster. They've randomly taken BPA at stacked "on paper" positions and acted like that was a good idea as the roster fell apart. Idzik at least cleared the cap even though he couldn't identify talent for sh*t. Coffee Boy passed time making BPA picks for five years. Bowles suffered from that poor gm'ing, but apparently never said anything about it.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Gregg Williams has a resume he can point to that contains continued success in the NFL. Gase has the exact opposite. Williams deserves the benefit of the doubt, Gase does not.

This. Gregg Williams has fielded good defenses in his career including with the Jets last year. I’m confident he’s not the problem.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Do we hold Gregg accountable or do we use the same personnel/roster excuse that we don't like to hear used for Gase?  I'd argue that the Buffalo D is better than the Buffalo O.

If this is an attempt to defend Gase it's ridiculous.  This game was on Darnold but the 2nd and long run up the middle is getting to be old. Gase's play calling is VERY predictable and the Bills staff was one step ahead of him all game. And yes,  personnel matters.  What are the weakest parts of the Jets roster? WR on offense and CB/Pass rush on defense.  The Bills attacked all of those weaknesses over and over and were successful. There was no magic formula as to why the Bills did whatever they wanted against the Jets defense.  They threw and threw and threw and threw bc the CBs suck and the Jets don't have a pass rush. Then they stacked the line on defense and dared our mistake prone QB to throw to our below average WRs.

55 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Greg Williams has had a top 10 defense in yards allowed 8 times in 22 years as a HC and DC and top 10 in points allowed 5 times in 22 years. This idea that's he's been a great defensive coach his whole career is asinine. Even the year in Cleveland he filled in as HC the defense was not good.  I'll give him credit for last year but that was the exception, not the norm. Both coaches need to go if this is what we see most of the year. The players looked very unprepared on both sides of the ball. The QB looked like hot sh*t all game.  Besides missing wide open receivers 5 or more times I didn't see him audible once out of a play even when the Bills Had 8 in the box to stop the run. Just terrible terrible game management by Darnold.  That can't be overstated. 

• Upvote 1