Darnold taking the blame. He was bad, he knows it. We're on to next week.

jetstream23

All this talk about leadership and personality is stupid. You know a qb who was a great leader and had a great personality? Ryan Fitzpatrick. But he sucks cause he has a noodle for an arm and makes bonehead decisions. It's the same for Darnold, it's not leadership that's running him out of the league, it's the fact that his mechanics are sh*t and he's inaccurate along with struggling to read defenses. Doesn't help that his arm strength seems to have taken a nose dive from his college days for some reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Y3k said:

Where on the earth are you getting this from? 

It's the way Darnold plays.

Body language.  Never runs for a 1st down.  Heck, even the other softy,  Mark Sanchez, used to try to run a guy over to get to the marker.  Remember?  Jets fans used to yell "slide" at the TV!

Darnold never gets heated about anything.  Completely flat.   Has never led the team in a come from behind victory.  Maybe once?!?  We've all seen kids who hate to lose at ping pong.  Soccer. Video games.  Whatever.  

It simply does not look like he hates to lose.  And worse yet, Darnold's teammates play with the exact same lackadaisical demeanor.   Focus drops.  Missed tackles.  Dumb penalties.

He leads by example.  And his example SUCKS.

I didn't care for Jamal Adams, a total schmuck.  But that guy hates to lose. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This is best case scenario at this point with Darnold 

After watching that tape someone posted, this was my take away as well.  He missed a lot of plays we've seen him routinely make and I think it's because of all those things he mentioned.  7 new starters on offense.  That's a big adjustment.  But again, the bigger concern were the brain dead decisions.  

I'll be honest, I'm a little less concerned today but I'm still nervous.

hold me

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

It's the way Darnold plays.

Body language.  Never runs for a 1st down.  Heck, even the other softy,  Mark Sanchez, used to try to run a guy over to get to the marker.  Remember?  Jets fans used to yell "slide" at the TV!

Darnold never gets heated about anything.  Completely flat.   Has never led the team in a come from behind victory.  Maybe once?!?  We've all seen kids who hate to lose at ping pong.  Soccer. Video games.  Whatever.  

It simply does not look like he hates to lose.  And worse yet, Darnold's teammates play with the exact same lackadaisical demeanor.   Focus drops.  Missed tackles.  Dumb penalties.

He leads by example.  And his example SUCKS.

I didn't care for Jamal Adams, a total schmuck.  But that guy hates to lose. 

How on earth are you equating your warped read of Darnold's body language to his lack of wins, while simultaneously praising Jamal for "hating to lose" when he literally had double the losses to wins with the Jets (16-32 record here)?

You know who else never ran for a 1st down, never got heated about anything, was completely flat, and never looked like he hated to lose? Eli Manning. He won two super bowls against the greatest HC/QB combo ever. 

Just say you're done with Darnold. That's a perfectly fine take given that he hasn't given us much to believe in. But trashing his personality or competitive fire is plain stupid.

19 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

anyone know where to watch gase's post game? More of the deflecting? Less of the "I probably shouldn't have designed pass plays that take more than 3 seconds to develop against a defense that gets to the QB in less than 3 seconds especially when I know my QB makes bad decisions under that type of sustained pressure"?

What concerns me is Tannehill's success now. Are we seeing in Gase a QB Destroyer. I get the sense that the problem with Darnold is absolutely Gase.

10 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

How on earth are you equating your warped read of Darnold's body language to his lack of wins, while simultaneously praising Jamal for "hating to lose" when he literally had double the losses to wins with the Jets (16-32 record here)?

You know who else never ran for a 1st down, never got heated about anything, was completely flat, and never looked like he hated to lose? Eli Manning. He won two super bowls against the greatest HC/QB combo ever. 

Just say you're done with Darnold. That's a perfectly fine take given that he hasn't given us much to believe in. But trashing his personality or competitive fire is plain stupid.

Thanks. 

I am not trashing his personality.  His personality is fine, just not for an NFL QB.  I am, however, definitely trashing his total lack of competitive fire. 

Kudos for finding the one, totally obvious btw, glaring example of a successful "flat" QB.  We already went through that with Brady and Rodgers being from Cali. 

There are exceptions to almost everything.

I have been comparing Darnold to Rex Grossman.  I thought of a better one.

Cade McNown.  Another West Coast beauty.

9 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Thanks. 

I am not trashing his personality.  His personality is fine, just not for an NFL QB.  I am, however, definitely trashing his total lack of competitive fire. 

Kudos for finding the one, totally obvious btw, glaring example of a successful "flat" QB.  We already went through that with Brady and Rodgers being from Cali. 

Yep.  For every "exception" there's at least 50 or so other QB's who sucked and always sucked. 

His (seemingly) lack of a competitive drive may not be a thing, nor is it necessarily the reason why he's failed so far in his career.  But it doesn't help.  

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Stefon Diggs on Josh Allen:

“He’s still got a little bit of a kid in him,” Diggs said after the game. “So when he’s out there, he’s out there having fun and I enjoy it. I’m always in his ear kind of like, ‘Keep that positive energy going,’ just because I can’t imagine how hard it is to play quarterback. But when I see him out there having a good time, it gives me a little bit of a push in the back and a a little bit motivation to say, you want to play for this guy. You want to go hard for this guy because he’s damn sure gonna go hard for you.”

Don't hear that about Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Stefon Diggs on Josh Allen:

“He’s still got a little bit of a kid in him,” Diggs said after the game. “So when he’s out there, he’s out there having fun and I enjoy it. I’m always in his ear kind of like, ‘Keep that positive energy going,’ just because I can’t imagine how hard it is to play quarterback. But when I see him out there having a good time, it gives me a little bit of a push in the back and a a little bit motivation to say, you want to play for this guy. You want to go hard for this guy because he’s damn sure gonna go hard for you.”

Don't hear that about Darnold. 

Nice find.  So true.

Darnold doesn't look like he is having any fun, even when he has played well.

Not.  Good.

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He looked weak an afraid. 

Agreed. Did not look comfortable at all. Hesitant, doubtful, overthrows, didn’t run when had the chances, just totally off kilt the entire day. Wasn’t even s reaming at his teammates when balls were dropped. Brady would have had veins popping from his head. Looked like he was frightened he might get mono again.

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

What concerns me is Tannehill's success now. Are we seeing in Gase a QB Destroyer. I get the sense that the problem with Darnold is absolutely Gase.

It's like judging Perriman on his last 5 games last year instead of the 3.75 yrs that were NOT those 5 games.

He had a hot streak. He was able to win a playoff game throwing 7/14 for 88.....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Nice find.  So true.

Darnold doesn't look like he is having any fun, even when he has played well.

Not.  Good.

Something tells me Sam does not like being on the East coast. He’s a Southern Cal kid and just seems to be misplaced.  He may just go FA after his contract runs out and sign with a WC team. 

• Sympathy 1

What is Palmer teaching him? 

Why does he start out so slow? Have you ever seen Brees warm up for a game? Maybe Sam needs a better routine, he comes out like he's sleep walking. 

After watching film of those 1st 3 three & outs, Sam was to blame. Gase has a point! If you don't convert, you can't get into a play calling rhythm. We ran the ball 15 times, that's unaccceptable & happens when your punting all the time. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Crowder being that open makes this play so much worse for Sam I didn’t even see it during the game 

That's horrible.  If anything, Darnold makes throws into much worse situations while scrambling.  Not pulling the trigger here is almost inconceivable for someone like him who, if anything, chucks it around a bit.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  For every "exception" there's at least 50 or so other QB's who sucked and always sucked. 

His (seemingly) lack of a competitive drive may not be a thing, nor is it necessarily the reason why he's failed so far in his career.  But it doesn't help.  

The first mistake here is intimating a supposed lack of competitive drive, and then assigning it as a rule for why he's failing.

Hint: Lack of competitive drive does not allow for a guy to switch from LB to QB halfway through high school, select to go to a university and beat out the 5 star recruit starter considered the best prospect in his class, lead them to a win from down 14 in the rose bowl, get drafted 3rd overall, come to an organization drowning in ineptness from Macc to Bowles to Gase to the owners, and still have him suit up every week trying to win. Lack of competitive drive would have turned 1-7 last year to 1-15. 

Again, just say you're done with him because like me, you feel betrayed that he hasn't lived up to what he was supposed to be. It's a perfectly fine take. Saying that his personality or lack of fire are why he's failing is terribly misguided as it discounts his sh*tty play on the field as well as all of the bullsh*t he's surrounded by

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The first mistake here is intimating a supposed lack of competitive drive, and then assigning it as a rule for why he's failing.

Hint: Lack of competitive drive does not allow for a guy to switch from LB to QB halfway through high school, select to go to a university and beat out the 5 star recruit starter considered the best prospect in his class, lead them to a win from down 14 in the rose bowl, get drafted 3rd overall, come to an organization drowning in ineptness from Macc to Bowles to Gase to the owners, and still have him suit up every week trying to win. Lack of competitive drive would have turned 1-7 last year to 1-15. 

Again, just say you're done with him because like me, you feel betrayed that he hasn't lived up to what he was supposed to be. It's a perfectly fine take. Saying that his personality or lack of fire are why he's failing is terribly misguided as it discounts his sh*tty play on the field as well as all of the bullsh*t he's surrounded by

I mean, I feel like we can, and should, take the whole deal into the equation.  I already stated I don't think his personality/competitive drive is at all a major part of the deal.  But I'm not going to sit here and say its definitely 0 %.  

Saying what people can and cannot criticize him for is silly.  This is someone who needs to be trying to prove he's worth $30M+ per season.  It ALL should be discussed and considered.  

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Crowder being that open makes this play so much worse for Sam I didn’t even see it during the game 

This deserves its own thread.  Seriously.  You should.  We were all disgusted he took a 5 yard loss instead of throwing it away.  We couldnt see it was WAY worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's horrible.  If anything, Darnold makes throws into much worse situations while scrambling.  Not pulling the trigger here is almost inconceivable for someone like him who, if anything, chucks it around a bit.

Unfortunately that tells me he is getting gun shy and is more worried about making mistakes than he is about making plays.  That trend needs to reverse it itself ASAP.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This deserves its own thread.  Seriously.  You should.  We were all disgusted he took a 5 yard loss instead of throwing it away.  We couldnt see it was WAY worse.

I just posted it idk why he didn't make that throw