Game Observations (BUF)

KRL

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Good analysis of a horrible game and horrible effort.

Players I was pleasantly surprised by. 

Bless Austin, Becton, Langi, Gore.

Disappointed by:

Darnold, Bell, Perriman, Herndon, Q, Jenkins, Desir.... The list could probably go on for a very long time.

Langi is on my sh*t list. I thought he was terrible today. 

Austin looked like a legit CB. 

With the Jets WRs and the Bills secondary, I never would have thought the Jets WRs were going to get separation.  

My hope was that we could ground and pound and throw to the TEs/RBs/Slot to keep the game interesting and allow Darnold to execute some plays.   Maybe that would have opened up the deeper stuff.  That is not what Gase and the Hobbit brought to Buffalo.  It was a repeat of last year’s Cincinnati plan, which is what I was afraid of.  

McDermott was a great DC and he came to Buffalo and has Leslie Frazier as his DC.  Gase has the Hobbit. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, usapaw said:

Yes they were awful. It was a soft camp and I never liked the Gase hire. I think they will gel a few weeks in and be OK, barring the injury bug. Scream all you like, it's a little early in the season fro me. Bills were the better prepared team and have a lot more reps (and talent) with each other. Might still end up with 4 wins, or less, but they need to progress.

A team that ends up with four wins is still a sh*tty team that requires you reboot your coaching staff and find a new QB.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

There was not even that. This could be Sam if the ball was coming out late or he wasn't  looking off defenders but everything was contested and there were a lot of dropped balls on too of it

The WR were horrible

The offense looked unprepared, and worse, it looked as if they knew they were overmatched.  I think darnold gets into a mode during games where the jets are far behind where he feels he’s got to do it all himself, instead of just trying to get first downs.  But these coaches should have designed some shorter pass plays to get them going early on.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trading John Abraham was OK.  Being so scared of drafting another Vernon Gholston that you don't draft one with a high pick for over a decade is not. 

There's absolutely no reason why Abraham had to be the last legit pass rusher for this franchise for the last 15 seasons.

That’s been the problem with the Jets for so so long.  They’re managed by either pure morons like Maccagnan or if they have any intelligence they are c*nts or sometimes a combination of BOTH.  At worst you have a Maccagnan who was stupid and a c*nt, destroying 5 consecutive drafts.  Now with him gone you’ll just see more “play scared” and “CYA to try to protect your job”.

But the greatest problem of course is their OWNERS have the SAME pedigree as Maccagnan.

At some point this season with this particular schedule you’re going to wish for the NY Jets to be dissolved as a Franchise...or move to Canada.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm going to watch the All 22 tomorrow night because I didn't see these wide open receivers everyone is talking about.

I did see four horrible drops (3 by Crowder) in the first quarter.

Crowder had an awesome day, but he's a big part of why we went three and out the whole first half. 

I'm beginning to accept the fact that Sam is a pussy, but it's still a freaking shame on how they've supported him.  

There's no easy completions on this team.  Every yard is fought for until they call off the dogs at the end of the game.

Damn, I hate this fu king team. 

Where do you get the all 22?  I need that. 

Ask anyone who has ever coached football. On offense, success and failure is primarily dictated by the O line.

1st, 4th, 5th, undrafted, undrafted. That is the Jets O line. While likely an upgrade over last year (what wouldn’t be?), it is not a recipe for success. You cannot build an O line through free agency. It takes at least 3 drafts. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

There was not even that. This could be Sam if the ball was coming out late or he wasn't  looking off defenders but everything was contested and there were a lot of dropped balls on too of it

The WR were horrible

Chris Hogan was open on a 15 yard in route and Darnold threw it 5 yards over his head. He had nobody within 3 yards of him.  

36 minutes ago, choon328 said:

We should all just agree that Gase is a bad and predictable play caller which is compounded by a QB who is a bad decision maker with the football. 

Hate to say it...3rd year and the Kid’s head is swimming.  What I saw today was someone’s Rookie DEBUT not a 3rd year player.  

Horrible coaching, the Jets NEVER gave him either the coaching or personal to succeed, exactly what I worried about the second he was drafted, and thats exactly what has gone down.

i saw many attributes in Darnold that lots of previous Jet QBs did not have but I don’t see how the Jets will be able to continue with him after this year’s 1-15 disaster.  Their schedule dictates that.  There are not only so few players on the Jet roster I’d consider pros after watching today but there is also zero depth so 1-15 is not a gloom and doom forecast.  It’s probable realty.

So what happens?  Draft Trevor Lawrence? Let him get beat down same as Darnold?

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Hate to say it...3rd year and the Kid’s head is swimming.  What I saw today was someone’s Rookie DEBUT not a 3rd year player.  

Horrible coaching, the Jets NEVER gave him either the coaching or personal to succeed, exactly what I worried about the second he was drafted, and thats exactly what has gone down.

So what happens?  Draft Trevor Lawrence? Let him get beat down same as Darnold?

Thank you!!!!!

57 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Chris Hogan was open on a 15 yard in route and Darnold threw it 5 yards over his head. He had nobody within 3 yards of him.  

Yes he missed a pass. Missed 3 in total actually I watched the whole game. Didn’t know the standard for this Guy was perfection. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Yes he missed a pass. Missed 3 in total actually I watched the whole game. Didn’t know the standard for this Guy was perfection. 

It's not about errant passes all of the time.  It's about checking out of bad plays,  finding the open receiver.  He threw into tight coverage many times today when he could've taken a safer option by either running or checking down. His first 8 drop backs he had over 3 seconds to throw in the pocket 6 times and completed 2 passes.  It's about throwing the ball up wildly into the middle of the field for an interception just as the Jets were gaining momentum and only down 11. Or running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage instead of throwing the ball away. All of these little things add up to losses.  You'd expect these mistakes from rookie QBs not an alleged franchise QB in his 3rd year. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's not about errant passes all of the time.  It's about checking out of bad plays,  finding the open receiver.  He threw into tight coverage many times today when he could've taken a safer option by either running or checking down. His first 8 drop backs he had over 3 seconds to throw in the pocket 6 times and completed 2 passes.  It's about throwing the ball up wildly into the middle of the field for an interception just as the Jets were gaining momentum and only down 11. Or running out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage instead of throwing the ball away. All of these little things add up to losses.  You'd expect these mistakes from rookie QBs not an alleged franchise QB in his 3rd year. 

He had over three second to throw because he was scrambling to create time. There were no open recievers that he didn’t throw to, I re watched the whole game. I did see two different occasions where his check down receiver tripped over their own feet though. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Y3k said:

He had over three second to throw because he was scrambling to create time. There were no open recievers that he didn’t throw to, I re watched the whole game. I did see two different occasions where his check down receiver tripped over their own feet though. 

6 seconds to throw in the pocket, not scrambling. And if you just re-watched the TV broadcast there is no way you can tell if other recievers were open or not. You need the All-22 for that. 

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

6 seconds to throw in the pocket, not scrambling. And if you just re-watched the TV broadcast there is no way you can tell if other recievers were open or not. You need the All-22 for that. 

Didn’t know you had the all 22 to make that criticism then

27 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Connor Hughes is a hack. I've muted him and most of the other Jets beat guys on twitter for a reason. They no longer break Jets news (Schefty/Rap do that) and they peddle in negativity. No thanks. 

We all know Darnold had a bad game. He said it himself. The tweet seems to infer that Gase was not a problem on Sunday which masks the greater problem. Either the play calling sucks or Gase isn't properly developing Darnold> Either way, the buck stops with the Head Coach/OC when the offense looks this bad. 

4 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

It looks like Joe Douglas setup this year for Lawrence. He'll probably be moving on from Sam & Adam.

Well it's good thing he drafted James Morgan.  How long before the "WE want Morgan!" chants start? He couldn't be much worse than Sam was today. 

Just now, Y3k said:

Didn’t know you had the all 22 to make that criticism then

-1st play of the gave he missed an open Herndon 20 yards down the field.  He had about 2 yards of separation 

-3rd play of the game misses a wide open Crowder for a 1st about 10 yards down the field

3rd Drive 2nd play: Misses a wide open Perriman crossing the field 15 yards down the field. 

That's just the 1st quarter.  3 huge would be chunk plays that he missed to wide open receivers. Should I keep going?

Just now, choon328 said:

-1st play of the gave he missed an open Herndon 20 yards down the field.  He had about 2 yards of separation 

-3rd play of the game misses a wide open Crowder for a 1st about 10 yards down the field

3rd Drive 2nd play: Misses a wide open Perriman crossing the field 15 yards down the field. 

That's just the 1st quarter.  3 huge would be chunk plays that he missed to wide open receivers. Should I keep going?

1st play of the game is only a play because Darnold escapes a collapsed pocket and flicks a throw on the move 20+ yards, it still managed to hit Herndon in the hands- needs to catch that 

yes he missed crowder and Perriman in those two throws...  but he threw to them it’s not like he didn’t seem them, just a bad throw... he had 1 other missed throw the rest of the game. 

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Connor Hughes is a hack. I've muted him and most of the other Jets beat guys on twitter for a reason. They no longer break Jets news (Schefty/Rap do that) and they peddle in negativity. No thanks. 

We all know Darnold had a bad game. He said it himself. The tweet seems to infer that Gase was not a problem on Sunday which masks the greater problem. Either the play calling sucks or Gase isn't properly developing Darnold> Either way, the buck stops with the Head Coach/OC when the offense looks this bad. 

The thing with that Hogan throw. If that's pretty much any other starting qb in the league the obvious reaction is "obvious miscommunication there, QB clearly thought that was a different route or expected receiver to break differently given situation." That would only make sense since these people have like known each other for a week or something. 

Instead, we have Hughes, actually one of our most level headed beat writers taking Darnold to town for it. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Y3k said:

1st play of the game is only a play because Darnold escapes a collapsed pocket and flicks a throw on the move 20+ yards, it still managed to hit Herndon in the hands- needs to catch that 

yes he missed crowder and Perriman in those two throws...  but he threw to them it’s not like he didn’t seem them, just a bad throw... he had 1 other missed throw the rest of the game. 

He threw the ball short to Herndon and it was a difficult catch.  There is no reason that ball has to be low. That is a throw that an NFL QB has to make. As far as him scrambling that means nothing, he still missed a wide open target. 

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

1. Bell needs to just sit.  YES!

2.  Sam seems to sort of play like his first few passes. If he has success he gets better as the game goes on.  The Jets really need to script this for Sam. YES!

5. Bless was excellent. YUP

6. Q should be traded tomorrow.  YES YES YES

Nice points