How bad was Sam really? Every passing snap analyzed

Y3k

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The pick is indicative of his decision making which has not improved since he was a rookie. He's making the same mistakes over and over. 

How about not checking out of a run with 8 men in the box on 2nd down? He had zero control of the offense today. It was awful. 

It was a bad decision but it ultimately had very little impact on the game. The jets got the ball back shortly after. The other option on that play was to get tackled short of the first and punt- he did not have a lane to run for a first. You can criticize the play all you want but the fact is the matter is that the jets were down 21-0 and were about to punt again... at that point you kind of want your QB to force something to happen no?

5 minutes ago, Y3k said:

It was a bad decision but it ultimately had very little impact on the game. The jets got the ball back shortly after. The other option on that play was to get tackled short of the first and punt- he did not have a lane to run for a first. You can criticize the play all you want but the fact is the matter is that the jets were down 21-0 and were about to punt again... at that point you kind of want your QB to force something to happen no?

No,  it was the 2nd quarter.  Your don't want your QB to throw a pick at midfield already down 21. And this bad decision is one he's been making since he was a rookie.  That's the issue. Stop looking at this mistake in a vacuum. It's a pattern of bad decision making that started on his very first throw as a professional and is continuing in year 3.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

No,  it was the 2nd quarter.  Your don't want your QB to throw a pick at midfield already down 21. And this bad decision is one he's been making since he was a rookie.  That's the issue. Stop looking at this mistake in a vacuum. It's a pattern of bad decision making that started on his very first throw as a professional and is continuing in year 3.

This is true. But he completed that exact throw to Robby last year (only that time he actually HAD room to run for the first down). 

It was a mistake both times, but the moment I saw him open his shoulder I knew what he was trying to do...

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You are the only person looking at things in a vacuum. You are taking a play that had no impact on the game and acting like it was the reason we lost. 

Regardless, my point is not to defend that play.. it was simply to correct the false narrative that he could have ran for a first... he couldn’t

7 hours ago, Y3k said:

You are the only person looking at things in a vacuum. You are taking a play that had no impact on the game and acting like it was the reason we lost. 

Regardless, my point is not to defend that play.. it was simply to correct the false narrative that he could have ran for a first... he couldn’t

Every turnover has an impact in the game. You don't know that if he ran for 4 yards and it ended up 4th and 2 that the Jets wouldn't have went for it.  You're also assuming he doesn't make a guy miss and pick up the first down. To say that an Int has no impact on a game is ridiculous.  It can change momentum,  it can change the psyche of a team,  it can change play calling,  it can change many things within a game. Just bc they didn't score means nothing.  The Bills were able to chew up an additional 4 minutes of time before the half as well on that following drive. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Every turnover has an impact in the game. You don't know that if he ran for 4 yards and it ended up 4th and 2 that the Jets wouldn't have went for it.  You're also assuming he doesn't make a guy miss and pick up the first down. To say that an Int has no impact on a game is ridiculous.  It can change momentum,  it can change the psyche of a team,  it can change play calling,  it can change many things within a game. Just bc they didn't score means nothing.  The Bills were able to chew up an additional 4 minutes of time before the half as well on that following drive. 

He was behind the line of scrimmage and a defender had him dead to rights. The only other option was getting tackled for a loss and a punt. Sorry to break it to you. 

8 hours ago, choon328 said:

The pick is indicative of his decision making which has not improved since he was a rookie. He's making the same mistakes over and over. 

How about not checking out of a run with 8 men in the box on 2nd down? He had zero control of the offense today. It was awful. 

Brett Favre’s mentality with Chad Pennington’s arm.

• Sympathy 1

He was bad and missed a good number of passes that would have went for first downs.

The fear is real folks. We’re treading to bust territory and the NYJ organization has no one to blame but themselves. Out of the 4 top rated QB’s in his draft, Sam was seen as raw and in need of proper coaching development.

They kept Bowles and promoted Bates as the OC who was previously out of the league for many years and currently still is.

They then hire Adam Gase, a coach with a career losing record, no history if developing a QB, and refuses to hire an QB coach to fine tune one of Sam’s weakness, mechanics.

We added to true offensive playmakers in all the years Sam’s been here, supplied an awful OL for 2+ years, and let his favorite WR walk in free agency.

What did everyone think was going to happen?

8 hours ago, Y3k said:

Trying to defend Sam's performance yesterday is humorous.  I am/was  Sam supporter but doubt is starting to creep in.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

Some good insights in this, also appears Sam adjusted the play on the 3rd and 9 to Hogan. Troubling start but we've got a long way to go still

Pretty stupid actually. Yea, he had a terrible cold streak to start the game. Missed a couple of throws. Throws that hes proven he can make in his sleep. The Hogan play... was a pre snap decision, it didn't work out. Hindsight is 20-20 on those plays, I can find examples from Aaron Rodgers and Peyton where they've made the wrong line check too. 

• Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Trying to defend Sam's performance yesterday is humorous.  I am/was  Sam supporter but doubt is starting to creep in.  

No one is defending anything. I am simply not going to jump of the ledge because a QB had a bad game. 

9 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Pretty stupid actually. Yea, he had a terrible cold streak to start the game. Missed a couple of throws. Throws that hes proven he can make in his sleep. The Hogan play... was a pre snap decision, it didn't work out. Hindsight is 20-20 on those plays, I can find examples from Aaron Rodgers and Peyton where they've made the wrong line check too. 

Our 3rd year QB adjusting the play on 3rd and 9 to a 1v1 with Chris Hogan is bad no matter which way you spin it. You also can't blame the HC for this play like you did above when in reality our QB made a bad adjustment. Sam has to be better and make the throws that a #3 overall pick should be able to make but there's still 15 games to get it together

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, choon328 said:

These were the passes that herndon and crowder dropped.  

the song remains the same - there isn’t a qb in the league that can win consistently with a lousy ( and in the jets case really lousy) supporting cast - i am beyond disappointed with the lack of quality receivers on this team - maybe when mims returns it helps i don’t know - and like most others on this board i am dumbfounded as to how adam gase keeps his job as offensive coordinator- maybe he can be a good “ ceo” head coach but at the least they need a coordinator who can manage personnel and play calls on game day - gase just doesn’t put darnold or anyone else on offense in a position to succeed - for example why did it take so long to split bell out? why did it take till end of game to throw to perriman downfield? wait i think perfect utilization of perriman is throwing him the ball at line of scrimmage and having him make something of it - you know probably the fastest player on the field - make sure you don’t stretch the field with him - wouldn’t want to put too much pressure on defense - that wouldn’t be good sportsmanship - don’t expect any coaching changes till next season but i’m far more down on gase than darnold

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Our 3rd year QB adjusting the play on 3rd and 9 to a 1v1 with Chris Hogan is bad no matter which way you spin it. You also can't blame the HC for this play like you did above when in reality our QB made a bad adjustment. Sam has to be better and make the throws that a #3 overall pick should be able to make but there's still 15 games to get it together

Yes he made a bad adjustment, it will happen form time to time, it does to all quarterbacks.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This stance includes the notion that Sam Darnold has not looked like exactly this player for a large portion of his career.

He hasn't. I don't think ive seen him be inaccurate on a running throw in 2 years. Show me an example if you can find it. 

7 minutes ago, Y3k said:

He hasn't. I don't think ive seen him be inaccurate on a running throw in 2 years. Show me an example if you can find it. 

Yeah, I'm not doing homework for you.  There's not a QB on the planet who hasn't "been inaccurate on a running throw in 2 years," so your premise is silly.  Big, objective, picture, the standard metrics say he's bad, the advanced metrics say he's bad, the Jets record says he's bad, the Jets offensive performances say he's bad.  Your hopes, dreams, and gumdrop fantasies say he's good.  We know that he's a meaningful improvement over Luke Falk, and about nothing more.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yeah, I'm not doing homework for you.  There's not a QB on the planet who hasn't "been inaccurate on a running throw in 2 years," so your premise is silly.  Big, objective, picture, the standard metrics say he's bad, the advanced metrics say he's bad, the Jets record says he's bad, the Jets offensive performances say he's bad.  Your hopes, dreams, and gumdrop fantasies say he's good.  We know that he's a meaningful improvement over Luke Falk, and about nothing more.

I'm serious. My Jaw was literally on the floor when Darnold missed those throws. If you consider it such a recurring problem you'd think you could conjure an example from memory no? The guy is more accurate on the move than from the pocket... 

The thing that scared me was the nice sideline pass he made to Leveon was with his feet moving all over the place and somewhat off the back foot.  As others above said, that's coaching and he obviously needs some because he is talented. I'm afraid this could turn into another typical Jets eff up, coach this kid up before it's too late

• Post of the Week 1

Your analysis is meh. But I will say this, Sam Darnold has a bad game, he has previously bounced back. Quarterbacks have bad games and the Bills defense is good. If next week he’s just as bad and is repeated the errors of today then we have real issues. If it carries into the Colts game then this season is over and so is Sam. So yes, be worried but nothing is guaranteed after one game.