If you're Joe Douglas, do you add anyone?

AFJF

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

They are $50M under the Cap, refused to re-sign Robby Anderson, ignored players like Everson Griffin and Jadeveon Clowney in FA, traded away the team's best player in Adams.

No, he won't add people of consequence.  Joe D is doing a bottom up rebuild here.  You may see some more rookie FAs and guys come up from the practice squad for some evaluation (Huff, Cager, etc.) but the Jets aren't spending any kind of $$$ or Draft capital to make any kind of serious improvement right now.  The only thing I think he'd do is plug a hole on the OLine if he had to (similar to Kalil last year) because he's trying to assess Darnold.

I think if Joe D had his way he'd be a SELLER and not a buyer towards the trade deadline.  Was probably hoping the Jets could showcase Bell a little these first two months so he could try to trade that contract.

Totally agree

He's not going to spend big on anyone until he builds a core of players he drafted. Hopefully he knows what he's doing when it comes to evaluating talent. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

They are $50M under the Cap, refused to re-sign Robby Anderson, ignored players like Everson Griffin and Jadeveon Clowney in FA, traded away the team's best player in Adams.

No, he won't add people of consequence.  Joe D is doing a bottom up rebuild here.  You may see some more rookie FAs and guys come up from the practice squad for some evaluation (Huff, Cager, etc.) but the Jets aren't spending any kind of $$$ or Draft capital to make any kind of serious improvement right now.  The only thing I think he'd do is plug a hole on the OLine if he had to (similar to Kalil last year) because he's trying to assess Darnold.

I think if Joe D had his way he'd be a SELLER and not a buyer towards the trade deadline.  Was probably hoping the Jets could showcase Bell a little these first two months so he could try to trade that contract.

I could love with the process, but not getting a WR this year really irks me. Whether Diggs in Buffalo or Hopkins in Arizona, if we weren't going to resign Robby, I wanted a material upgrade...

• Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

My guess he knew the ceiling of this team was crap... it's why he didn't waste the money.  He knew the rebuild would be worse before it got better.

This really is it imo. JD is bringing in the beginning parts to the greater whole. Becton, Mims, Clark Davis, Perine. Even Fant and some others like Bryce Hall and Mann.  

There is no reason to bring a bunch of high priced vets in here to muddy up the water for his evaluation process. Sure that can be frustrating for us fans, but we have to remember JD has been here just a bit over a year. He is not worn and weather beaten from years of sucktitude.  He's got fresh legs. 

He has a crop of young players here and I'm betting he would rather see what they can actually do over the course of a full season than rent J Clowney and have him take playing time away from Zuniga, Huff and the like.  If we suck it's a better draft position. If we end up being good, it will be because his young guys are playing well and he'll know he has some legit parts to the machine. 

The real issue of the season is whether or not Sam can make lemonade this year. The OL played fairly well and will get better as they gel. That was the priority. JD is building from the ground up.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him dump a few more guys to injury needy teams that are playing for something this season.

He's got money and he's got draft capital. I see him adding more unless the Jets start winning. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, Vader said:

If the above is true — The rational move here then may be to trade Darnold 

Can't really do that yet.  Wouldn't get any kind of return.  He's still on a rookie contract so the likely path would be a Trubisky-like situation where they don't pick up the 5th year option and let him play out his deal, maybe fielding offers in Year 4 if he looks decent but not starting caliber.

For the record, I still think Darnold is a starting caliber QB in this league.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Can't really do that yet.  Wouldn't get any kind of return.  He's still on a rookie contract so the likely path would be a Trubisky-like situation where they don't pick up the 5th year option and let him play out his deal, maybe fielding offers in Year 4 if he looks decent but not starting caliber.

For the record, I still think Darnold is a starting caliber QB in this league.

Of course he is starting caliber. He would light it up with the right coach and personnel. Question is Is he on JDs timeline — doesn’t seem so

2 minutes ago, Vader said:

Of course he is starting caliber. He would light it up with the right coach and personnel. Question is Is he on JDs timeline — doesn’t seem so

The right coach and better personnel are the key things to consider.  But I think Gase comes back next year, almost no matter what.  Douglas and ownership know that they kept their hands in their pockets during FA except for the OLine, they didn't sign any kind of pass rushers, they traded away the team's best player, they're saddled with bad contracts for Bell, CJ Mosley, etc.  We're putting guys like Frank Gore and Chris Hogan on the field and giving them significant roles.  This all tells me that they have low expectations for this year as they continue a complete rebuild.  I don't think they're going to hold that against Gase.....even if Gase should still be criticized.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This really is it imo. JD is bringing in the beginning parts to the greater whole. Becton, Mims, Clark Davis, Perine. Even Fant and some others like Bryce Hall and Mann.  

There is no reason to bring a bunch of high priced vets in here to muddy up the water for his evaluation process. Sure that can be frustrating for us fans, but we have to remember JD has been here just a bit over a year. He is not worn and weather beaten from years of sucktitude.  He's got fresh legs. 

He has a crop of young players here and I'm betting he would rather see what they can actually do over the course of a full season than rent J Clowney and have him take playing time away from Zuniga, Huff and the like.  If we suck it's a better draft position. If we end up being good, it will be because his young guys are playing well and he'll know he has some legit parts to the machine. 

The real issue of the season is whether or not Sam can make lemonade this year. The OL played fairly well and will get better as they gel. That was the priority. JD is building from the ground up.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him dump a few more guys to injury needy teams that are playing for something this season.

He's got money and he's got draft capital. I see him adding more unless the Jets start winning. 

It does provide some grist for the Rumor Mill though concerning his relationship with Gase though.  Douglas had to know that next year would have been difficult enough with the COVID crisis and the lack of playmakers  He's got five years left on his contract.  Chris Johnson only promised Gase through the end of next season and everybody knows that's directly tied to how his offense looks under Darnold's direction.  Taking only one WR in a rich draft and settling for an inconsistent "never was" like Perriman when he could have traded for a better option.  IDK.  Just seems like if they were both were together on this they would have covered their asses better.  Literally every move Douglas has done is projecting past this year.  But Gase's future is directly tied to how the offense looks this year.  With this schedule.... even three games seems difficult.  You can't hide a franchise QB that isn't developing.

• Upvote 1

If Mims can actually come back by week 4, then they have no choice but to ride it out and hope for 1-3.

If Mims is out much longer, Douglas might have to make a trade like Mike Tannenbaum made in 2009 to add Braylon to a weak WR group.  That helped save the season.  Not that this team is anywhere as good, but a trade for a real starting caliber NFL receiver might be needed to prevent the wheels coming off the wagon. 

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The right coach and better personnel are the key things to consider.  But I think Gase comes back next year, almost no matter what.  Douglas and ownership know that they kept their hands in their pockets during FA except for the OLine, they didn't sign any kind of pass rushers, they traded away the team's best player, they're saddled with bad contracts for Bell, CJ Mosley, etc.  We're putting guys like Frank Gore and Chris Hogan on the field and giving them significant roles.  This all tells me that they have low expectations for this year as they continue a complete rebuild.  I don't think they're going to hold that against Gase.....even if Gase should still be criticized.

Just spitballing here...

Or maybe they brought in a slew of guys that Gase likes. Tall athletic OL Fant, Becton, McGovern.  RB's that hit the hole fast like Frank Gore and drafted perine. Tall fast WR's like Perriman and Denzel Mims etc. Cut ties with guys Gase didn't like such as Robby, Jamal, Beachum etc and think that Gase has been given enough to be respectable and if he can't get to that tier it's an excuse to cut ties and move on.   Maybe JD didn't want to bring in anymore of Gase's guys because he didn't want to commit any more than he has in a dead man walking. 

I think this Joe Douglas character just might be cold blooded. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/13/2020 at 11:36 PM, GREENBEAN said:

Just spitballing here...

Or maybe they brought in a slew of guys that Gase likes. Tall athletic OL Fant, Becton, McGovern.  RB's that hit the hole fast like Frank Gore and drafted perine. Tall fast WR's like Perriman and Denzel Mims etc. Cut ties with guys Gase didn't like such as Robby, Jamal, Beachum etc and think that Gase has been given enough to be respectable and if he can't get to that tier it's an excuse to cut ties and move on.   Maybe JD didn't want to bring in anymore of Gase's guys because he didn't want to commit any more than he has in a dead man walking. 

Well.  He's very much letting Gase sink or swim on his own merits.  I also think he's very much old fashioned as far as front office guy in how he views talent and player relations.  What can be vold blooded is probably the way of the teams he worked for.  Something I remember a scout saying about Douglas was that he got really pissed off when Howie Roseman accorded the Eagles analytics department so much say in the draft process.  It was probably a good reason why he came here.  But I don't think he plans to changes his methods or long term plans for anything.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Just spitballing here...

Solid take.  This could certainly be the case.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know who said it, but I found it to be dead on balls accurate and so I'm going to repeat it.

We should have known exactly what J.D. thought of the current roster when he drafted a punter.

the punter did pretty well yesterday.  it wasn't his fault they lost and i doubt if edwards would've done any better.

11 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Not sure I agree wholheartedly about the OL. Protection was decent but a lot of pressure up the middle and even when he had "time" to throw- that magical 3s the pocket was being compressed so it was not really good protection of the QB...however Becton looked OK (2 pressures, 1 sack) Fant -(havent seen statistics yet) seemed really solid we just didnt do well up the middle. but I think this group can develop well. Not convinced Pollack is the guy TBH

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree, with the exception that they offered more money for RA than Carolina did from what was reported.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

Do you even bother calling a guy like Prince Amukamara , or do you just say "Screw it, let's got a top 5 pick, hire my own coach and move on"?

For 2020?  No, I don't.

If I am Douglas, I do the following:

1. I fire Gase at the end of the Season.  I do not see him ever being a Super Bowl type Coach, so he's gone.

2. I replace him with someone legitimate, with a record of some success somewhere as a Head Coach.  I prefer a Pro, but I'd take an exceptional college Coach if I had to.

3. I hoard draft capital.  I dump expensive placeholder Vets like Bell and Gore.

4. I build through the Draft, and no Free Agency.  I focus on Offense, specifically QB, WR and O-line.  I draft Defense only in later rounds for a year or two minimum.

5. I sign selective, young, big upside free agents only.  If you're not going to be a rock star for three years+, I don't sign you.  if you will, I overpay (because we'll have to) to get you in our building, but ONLY guys with character and leadership and team-first skills/attitudes.  No malcontents.

And then I hope it all works, because who knows really.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't entirely agree with this. I think he would definitely sell pieces that he doesn't view as part of the long term plan, but I also think he would buy a player, and even sign that player long term, if he felt he could help this team going forward (aka Juju). 

It's definitely more likely that we sell players like Maye and there is no way they trade away a 1st for anyone, but rebuilding in the NFL is a 1-2 year process. GMs don't have 5 years to fix things anymore.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - there isnt a single player available to acquire that is going to do anything to help this team

And rightly so. Build from the trenches which he’s doing with the Oline, with all their draft picks he can continue & look for pass rushers. A guy like Juju might be available. 
Sam Darnold wasn’t close to being as prepared for the NFL like an Eli Manning & it took Eli longer than 3 years to hit his stride. 
We’re all fans, we have no patience because it’s been 10 years, but JD knows signing Clowney, trading for OBJ aren’t going to help this team long run. Jet fans have to accept the fact we’re gonna rebuild the right way with solid drafting & only adding value free agents until we’re just a few key players away. 
Bills are king of the hill now in the AFC East, we need to do this right & JD has had 1 draft. 15 more games for evaluation, let’s hope we can see Mims, Perine, Huff, Zuniga, Hall. 

• Sympathy 1