Jump to content

Overreaction


Jetster
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

18/39 - 150- 1 interception. Tom Bradys stat line last year in Buffalo.

They are a very good team 4 years into their rebuild. This is our 1st year really (JD has had 1 draft). 

Also darnold’s games vs buffalo have been much like yesterday.  1 td in last year’s opener and 1 td in last year’s season finale.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Also darnold’s games vs buffalo have been much like yesterday.  1 td in last year’s opener and 1 td in last year’s season finale.  

Buffalos defense I believe was #1 in pass defense last year. 
We had 4 new Olinemen, 2 new WRs, a TE playing his 1st game in 1 & 1/2 years & 2 old RBs & no preseason games. 
Bills D had it easy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MS jets Fan said:

Ok my 2 cents.  It's the first game and we have a nonstop turnover of coaches and staff.   JD has his first draft class and the sky is falling is the same knee jerk reaction I see year on year here from some.    If anything these hamstring injuries are a big concern because it's major problem with this team.   I don't have a great answer to fixing the Jets yet I really think JD will get this team turned around.   I liked the draft class they just need to see these young guys get some action.   So is it an overreaction? some will say no and some will say yes.  For me I'm tired of overreacting to a game that's suppose to be fun to watch for entertainment purposes.  

I was surprisingly calm yesterday & enjoyed my beer, saw the scoreboard at 21-0, oh well, watched the game on Gamepass, came away that they played as about a bad of a game that can be played all around. 
But, the Oline wasn’t terrible, we missed a lot of tackles where the play was there to be made, our 9 penalties all hurt badly, Herndons fumble, non fumble, fumble was par for the course of the day & we have guys we’ve yet to see (Mims & Perine) and basic fundamentals can be fixed ie. Catching the ball, not fumbling the ball, Sam making more accurate throws, making tackles not missing them. 
Josh Allen is 1 hell of a runner! He’s becoming Cam Newtonish without the stupid Superman sh*t. He ripped apart the Vikings in Minny doing that sh*t & quick short game looks very good now that he’s got Diggs snagging those rockets. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Sounds worse when you say it that way. let's go with we are in the running to be a top finisher in the draft next year. 

We're gonna end up at Pick 6 again, aka no-mans land, and SAR I is going to spend all offseason bragging about the Jets winning 5 of their final 10 games after starting 0-6.

Can't wait!

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, peebag said:

How's this for an overreaction:

Watching the game yesterday gave me the same vibes as the first game of the 1996 season vs. the Broncos.

It was that bad.

Good analogy.

I was at that game at Mile High.  Neil O'Donnell. They were pathetic.  Totally non-competitive.

Broncos fans are often, shall we say, less than cordial.  They took pity on us that day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody seems to reacting to how bad this defense is. That’s the real disconcerting thing here.

Darnold will have better games, the OL/ Becton will improve, Herndon played his first game in almost a whole season, we won’t play top 5 defenses every week. However, the defense has no upside. Desir/ Hairston is a problem, Cashman and Williamson are injured, no pass rusher on the inside or outside. The defense is bad.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

From what I saw in the game, if Herdon doesn't get that (rediculous call of it being a catch and then reversal then not), we have a chance to win the game even if that drive which was at the 50 yard line winds up in a FG. We could have been within 8 points with most of the 4th qtr still to play and we had all the momentum. Just wasn't meant to be.

And this is just another one of those plays that didn't go our way that could have been the difference in the game.  Our cynical fan base is acting like we were the Browns getting demolished by the Ravens yesterday 38-6.

There is no sugar coating that there is very little to like about the game, but the team got it together with a critical turnover and by putting up a FG before halftime, that was a huge momentum shift, and it was the break the team needed to get a little confidence.

That call on Herdon was BS, he never made a football move, should have been overturned, and at that point in the game the offense was starting to put it together.

Football is a complex game, 16 other teams lost, some whose expectations are sky high like Brady and the Bucs looked awful.
 
No pre-season, so many variables that go against us and many teams.  It was one game, nobody should be judging this team until after the first 4 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JetsRay said:

The overreaction was just ridiculous.  Even writing off this season after one game is ridiculous.  Yes, there were many parts of the game that were ugly.  From Darnold's poor play, which did include dropped passes on multiple 3rd down plays that would have extended drives.  It was a perfect storm of breakdowns that put the Jets behind initially.  I'm actually happy the Jets made a game of it.  Injuries to key players once again hurt us.  We could never get a momentum shift in the first half.  Also have to give Buffalo defense credit.

But take a step back, no pre-season, game on the road, the off-season has been anything but normal, and the Jets are rotating a lot of new into the roster and on the field than Buffalo was, that has an affect on a team.  Buffalo had that edge, an offense and defense with little roster turn over at key positions.  Darnold has all new weapons, a returning Herndon, a completely brand new OL.  And say what you want about Darnold and the offense in the first half, but the defense couldn't get off the field.  Multiple 3rd down plays they should have made a stop.  Cashman going down early hurt the middle of the defense.  And the penalties killed us, like I said, a perfect storm of breakdowns, nothing went right, it wasn't just one player, one unit, or one thing.  One less penalty on a critical 3rd down could have made a big difference.

Now they have a full game under their belt, the injuries were minimized.  We probably lose Bell and Cashman for a couple of weeks, but we get back Mims and Williamson next week...

Let's be patient for the first several games and see what they do before we start calling for regime change.  Fickle fans don't realize that firing the coach every other game is NOT a solution!

It's actually comforting knowing that no matter what happens in the world, some things simply never change.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rarely is a team as bad (or good) as it may seem. I think it should take at least 2-3 weeks to have any idea how bad this team is. The sky is falling stuff - particularly about Sam is a bit of an overreaction in my book. Fortunately, we don't run the team, so we are free to overreact all we want. In fact, with a team as historically bad as the jets, venting and overreacting is really one of the few 'comforts' we have had (other than talking about the next draft in week 1).

Vent, overreact, throw a fit. I think we have all earned it. Let's hope next week is better - if not there is always black monday and draft day to look forward to :-)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

And now all of the reasonable and rationale fans come out of the woodwork to call out the 'over reactors'.  If yesterday's game wasn't reason enough to 'overreact' then running out of bounds to voluntarily take a 5 yard sack was!  Or completely losing sight of the clock AFTER A TV TIMEOUT for a penalty certainly was!  

It IS time to overreact.  It is a time to be fed up with Gase.  There is absolutely no excuse for yesterday's sh*tshow.  It is time to be fed up with STILL seeing free agents stinking up the field!  Desir, McGovern, Van Roten, Perriman ALL STUNK.  Rookies can't get out of the trainers rooms and onto the field!  It's time to complain.  LOUDLY!

I watched a lot of football yesterday.  And funnily enough, none of them had a the luxury of a real training camp, pre-season games, et al.  Some of them were breaking in new players and new coaches (i.e., Washington, Bengals) and yet I didn't see any team as unprepared and talent-less as the Jets.

Stop overreacting to overreacting.  It's time to demand more.

 

So true. I had the same impression. The Jets looked like a team that was playing its first pre-season game, while the Bills were season ready and efficient. And other teams I saw looked pretty prepared. How did the Jets manage to be so disjointed and out of sync? Some of that is on the coaching certainly, as well as the players. It was painful to watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

I have no problem saying I was overly optimistic, but what I saw yesterday was a Buffalo team putting the final pcs into place for a Super Bowl run vs a team without draft picks that have stuck for 10 years & every Free Agent purchase total busts, Trumaine Johnson, CJ Mosely, Le'veon Bell. 

LET'S ADD THE LOW PRICED FREE AGENTS TO THAT LIST.  VAN ROTEN WAS ROTTEN.  DESIR WAS TRUMAINE 2.0.  PERRIMAN WAS, WAIT, DID PERRIMAN PLAY YESTERDAY?

Thank God Joe Douglas is in charge. Right now we are definitely one of the teams that will be fighting for 2021s #1 pick. Pretty much every team we'll play this year has some continuity & none of them have as many individual changes that this team has gone through. I live down south, watched games (not Jets), saw it later on Gamepass, and these guys know football, some played at high levels & when I mentioned the Jets had 5 new starters on their Oline they couldn't believe it. That's unheard of in the NFL. 

IT WASN'T JUST THAT THEY ARE ALL NEW.  TERRIBLE PLAY CALLING, PENALTY AFTER A TV TIMEOUT???  TAKING A 5 YARD SACK VOLUNTARILY!!!

And if a team has a rash of injuries & inquires about Bell he'll dump him in a NY minute because realistically we all know he's not part of our future. The Oline played pretty good against a top 3 defense. They'll get better, Herndon will play himself back into sync, Mims will be back, Vincent Smith, Avery. I'm riding with JD to eventually right this ship. As of now the veterans don't want to play here, it's hamstring central, but everything starts in the trenches & works out from there. We got a long way to go (longer than I thought) but thank god he's sticking to the plan to avoid the Clowneys & any other high priced mercenaries. The long haul really sucks for fans but in truth it's never been taken here with any GM (never). Last year I thought Sam Darnold was the only safe player, now? No one should be safe in the eyes of our GM. Year #2 for Joe, we have to remember that since he came in after Maccs last draft. .

I DON'T THINK SIGNING THE LOW PRICED MERCENARIES IS WORKING EITHER.

I just love the 'let's not overreact' crowd and their excuses.  Yesterday's sh*tshow was inexcusable.  They were not prepared.  Simply no excuse for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

So true. I had the same impression. The Jets looked like a team that was playing its first pre-season game, while the Bills were season ready and efficient. And other teams I saw looked pretty prepared. How did the Jets manage to be so disjointed and out of sync? Some of that is on the coaching certainly, as well as the players. It was painful to watch.

2 of their WRs could practice & 1 couldn’t play. The defense is not good, holes at edge & CB. I don’t think the Niners D is near good as Buffalo. We’ll see. 
I just wish that Sam could play with all of his WRs once in his career. Someone’s always injured or dinged up. 
Herndons rusty as hell, gonna take a few games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I just love the 'let's not overreact' crowd and their excuses.  Yesterday's sh*tshow was inexcusable.  They were not prepared.  Simply no excuse for that.

Actually yes there is. A team with this many changes needed preseason football. It’s a valid excuse. They also need everyone healthy because they are young & have no depth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Actually yes there is. A team with this many changes needed preseason football. It’s a valid excuse. They also need everyone healthy because they are young & have no depth. 

If there was an entire preseason they still would have taken a penalty AFTER a TV timeout.  He still would have taken a voluntary sack instead of just throwing the ball away.

No excuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

If there was an entire preseason they still would have taken a penalty AFTER a TV timeout.  He still would have taken a voluntary sack instead of just throwing the ball away.

No excuses.

Definitely not excusing those stupid things just the overall play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It’s not overreaction. It’s reality. This roster is full of JAGs. They weren’t competitive one bit. 

This is simply FALSE!  Not competitive doesn't come back from 21-0 to make the game competitive.  If that Herdon fumble gets overturned as it should have been, there is a good chance we score on that drive to get within a score at that point in the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

This is simply FALSE!  Not competitive doesn't come back from 21-0 to make the game competitive.  If that Herdon fumble gets overturned as it should have been, there is a good chance we score on that drive to get within a score at that point in the game.

How many times have you seen games where a team is dominated & loses? Not often but it does happen. 
Your right, that fumble was ridiculous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JetsRay said:

The overreaction was just ridiculous.  Even writing off this season after one game is ridiculous.  Yes, there were many parts of the game that were ugly.  From Darnold's poor play, which did include dropped passes on multiple 3rd down plays that would have extended drives.  It was a perfect storm of breakdowns that put the Jets behind initially.  I'm actually happy the Jets made a game of it.  Injuries to key players once again hurt us.  We could never get a momentum shift in the first half.  Also have to give Buffalo defense credit.

But take a step back, no pre-season, game on the road, the off-season has been anything but normal, and the Jets are rotating a lot of new into the roster and on the field than Buffalo was, that has an affect on a team.  Buffalo had that edge, an offense and defense with little roster turn over at key positions.  Darnold has all new weapons, a returning Herndon, a completely brand new OL.  And say what you want about Darnold and the offense in the first half, but the defense couldn't get off the field.  Multiple 3rd down plays they should have made a stop.  Cashman going down early hurt the middle of the defense.  And the penalties killed us, like I said, a perfect storm of breakdowns, nothing went right, it wasn't just one player, one unit, or one thing.  One less penalty on a critical 3rd down could have made a big difference.

Now they have a full game under their belt, the injuries were minimized.  We probably lose Bell and Cashman for a couple of weeks, but we get back Mims and Williamson next week...

Let's be patient for the first several games and see what they do before we start calling for regime change.  Fickle fans don't realize that firing the coach every other game is NOT a solution!

Gase sucks, it is time to move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

imo all games are winnable.  basically the jets did two things wrong.  first they failed to contain allen who hurt them with runs even though he did fumble twice.  second they were unable to get anything going offensively.  this has been something that's been going on for at least 10 seasons to place the blame on gase alone is foolish.  the oline needs to play together and they haven't had enough opportunity yet.  they'll get straightened out and we'll be seeing an improved team as the weeks go on.

That comes from a long line of drafting defense in the first round 9 out of 10 years.  Gase is a joke, and hasn't proven anything but an ability to suck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

And now all of the reasonable and rationale fans come out of the woodwork to call out the 'over reactors'.  If yesterday's game wasn't reason enough to 'overreact' then running out of bounds to voluntarily take a 5 yard sack was!  Or completely losing sight of the clock AFTER A TV TIMEOUT for a penalty certainly was!  

It IS time to overreact.  It is a time to be fed up with Gase.  There is absolutely no excuse for yesterday's sh*tshow.  It is time to be fed up with STILL seeing free agents stinking up the field!  Desir, McGovern, Van Roten, Perriman ALL STUNK.  Rookies can't get out of the trainers rooms and onto the field!  It's time to complain.  LOUDLY!

I watched a lot of football yesterday.  And funnily enough, none of them had a the luxury of a real training camp, pre-season games, et al.  Some of them were breaking in new players and new coaches (i.e., Washington, Bengals) and yet I didn't see any team as unprepared and talent-less as the Jets.

Stop overreacting to overreacting.  It's time to demand more.

 

Ashtyn Davis sucked, how is this guy a S?  He looks like Braden Mann could kick his ass.   

Could our edge rushers (Jenkins and Basham) have performed worse?

Neville Hewitt and Harvey Langi are NOT NFL caliber LBs.

Pierre Desir looked worthy of this year's Vance Joseph award.

Other than Becton, the OL looked mediocre. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

Did Sam suck? Definitely, did the team suck? Definitely. Is it going to be a long season? Definitely. 

I have no problem saying I was overly optimistic, but what I saw yesterday was a Buffalo team putting the final pcs into place for a Super Bowl run vs a team without draft picks that have stuck for 10 years & every Free Agent purchase total busts, Trumaine Johnson, CJ Mosely, Le'veon Bell. 

Thank God Joe Douglas is in charge. Right now we are definitely one of the teams that will be fighting for 2021s #1 pick. Pretty much every team we'll play this year has some continuity & none of them have as many individual changes that this team has gone through. I live down south, watched games (not Jets), saw it later on Gamepass, and these guys know football, some played at high levels & when I mentioned the Jets had 5 new starters on their Oline they couldn't believe it. That's unheard of in the NFL. 

Not having preseseason football for this Jet team was detrimental. This team needed live practice, Buffalo? Not so much. Right now we're a terrible team. Look at Herndon. The guy missed his entire Sophmore year & hasn't played a real game in forever. This season will be a total evaluation for JD from Gase, to even Darnold. If you don't think JD would be evaluating taking Trevor Lawrence & trading Sam Darnold if the Jets ended up with the 1st pick overall & pull an Arizona you haven't been paying attention. 

And if a team has a rash of injuries & inquires about Bell he'll dump him in a NY minute because realistically we all know he's not part of our future. The Oline played pretty good against a top 3 defense. They'll get better, Herndon will play himself back into sync, Mims will be back, Vincent Smith, Avery. I'm riding with JD to eventually right this ship. As of now the veterans don't want to play here, it's hamstring central, but everything starts in the trenches & works out from there. We got a long way to go (longer than I thought) but thank god he's sticking to the plan to avoid the Clowneys & any other high priced mercenaries. The long haul really sucks for fans but in truth it's never been taken here with any GM (never). Last year I thought Sam Darnold was the only safe player, now? No one should be safe in the eyes of our GM. Year #2 for Joe, we have to remember that since he came in after Maccs last draft. 

This whole thing has made it easier on me regarding the NFL & the politics I don't like. My viewing this year will be reduced immeasurably. I'll continue to just watch the Jets on Gamepass to evaluate the players, watch the rookies ect. But as far as my full attention like most years, this year I'll find better things to do on Sundays, and I fall asleep on the late games anyway.

giphy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Rarely is a team as bad (or good) as it may seem. I think it should take at least 2-3 weeks to have any idea how bad this team is. The sky is falling stuff - particularly about Sam is a bit of an overreaction in my book. Fortunately, we don't run the team, so we are free to overreact all we want. In fact, with a team as historically bad as the jets, venting and overreacting is really one of the few 'comforts' we have had (other than talking about the next draft in week 1).

Vent, overreact, throw a fit. I think we have all earned it. Let's hope next week is better - if not there is always black monday and draft day to look forward to :-)

giphy.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JetsRay said:

This is simply FALSE!  Not competitive doesn't come back from 21-0 to make the game competitive.  If that Herdon fumble gets overturned as it should have been, there is a good chance we score on that drive to get within a score at that point in the game.

And if Sam actually hit half his throws and didn’t panic in the pocket and made smart decisions, there’s a good chance we win! 
 

And if we had any sort of pass rush, there’s a good chance we don’t let Josh Allen sit back there for 20 seconds. 
 

And if Gase has any feel for the game and actually used played to our strengths, there’s a good chance we don’t embarrassed. 
 

But...it didn’t happen. And here we are. Faced with reality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...