Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?

TuscanyTile2

Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?

• Nope, I still have faith in the guy
    • Not yet but I'm legitimately worried about him being a bust
    • Stick a fork in him. It's time to move on.
    • Let's give him a little more time before making this judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/20/2020 at 04:17 PM

6 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Doubted, doubted, doubted more, more and more and more and more...and now the case is closed.

Fair enough. 

I don't think anyone is as bad as their worst game. This was his worst ever game. So i'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm interested to see how he recovers from this. It'll reveal his character.

• Upvote 1

I think you obviously have to give him the rest of this season. How the season plays out -- both in terms of our draft position and what he shows -- will determine what we do.

If the offense looks like it did yesterday and we go 2-14 or 3-13 then I think you to draft Trevor Lawrence. The guy is a Luck/Manning type prospect who is perfect for the modern game. In this scenario you assume Gase is gone too. Clean slate, new offense.

If he bounces back and has a similar season to last year (maybe slightly better stats, we go 6-10) I think you continue to build the offense through the draft while scouting the next round of QBs. He's probably not the guy but you probably let him play out his rookie deal without picking up his 5th year option.

If yesterday was an aberration (the Bills are legitimately nasty and as we get healthy the offense starts to look good) and he takes a leap obviously you feel pretty good about his future here. You pick up the 5th year option and look to continue to add pieces around him.

• Upvote 1

Sam's career arc is looking very much like Jim Plunkett's.

Incredible athlete coming out of college, gets drafted by a perennial doormat who throws him to the lions without any protection and gets pummeled by both the fans and opposing teams.

Right now, it looks as though the Jets are 2-3 years out from being competitive.  They may be forced to actually get rid of Sam and move on just for that fact.

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If he bounces back and has a similar season to last year (maybe slightly better stats, we go 6-10) I think you continue to build the offense through the draft while scouting the next round of QBs. He's probably not the guy but you probably let him play out his rookie deal without picking up his 5th year option.

If yesterday was an aberration (the Bills are legitimately nasty and as we get healthy the offense starts to look good) and he takes a leap obviously you feel pretty good about his future here. You pick up the 5th year option and look to continue to add pieces around him.

My only worry is that maybe us 'patient types' are somehow failing to spot the obvious. 

I remember this happening with Sam Bradford...he had a sh*tload of talent, was a highly rated prospect, but like Darnold - he had terrible luck to start his career. The media, and the fans repeatedly made excuses for him, but ultimately, the results never came. 

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Teams are no longer bound to QBs anymore, you can easily move onto the next one. 

21 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Fair enough. 

I don't think anyone is as bad as their worst game. This was his worst ever game. So i'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm interested to see how he recovers from this. It'll reveal his character.

not even being cute, but I feel like we say this about Sam after every 2 or 3 games he plays

4 minutes ago, Jet hustle said:

not even being cute, but I feel like we say this about Sam after every 2 or 3 games he plays

We do. The Monday night Patriots game was his worst game ever & now this is? No, the Patriots game is still his worst and this bullsh*t we seen yesterday isn’t far from the same level of play. He held on to the ball extremely too long, he took sacks, he threw a pick when he could of ran 4 yards. It’s very clearly Sam Darnold is not a good QB in the face of pressure...ANY pressure.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We do. The Monday night Patriots game was his worst game ever & now this is? No, the Patriots game is still his worst and this bullsh*t we seen yesterday isn’t far from the same level of play. He held on to the ball extremely too long, he took sacks, he threw a pick when he could of ran 4 yards. It’s very clearly Sam Darnold is not a good QB in the face of pressure...ANY pressure.

The reason why i give Darnold the benefit of the doubt is because he was really good under pressure in college. He made big plays in big games. But college is college...and he hasn't shown the same quality in the NFL. I would normally assume that the supporting cast is the problem, not the player, who was a damn good prospect. 

Maybe he just doesn't have it? 

3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

The reason why i give Darnold the benefit of the doubt is because he was really good under pressure in college. He made big plays in big games. But college is college...and he hasn't shown the same quality in the NFL. I would normally assume that the supporting cast is the problem, not the player, who was a damn good prospect. 

Maybe he just doesn't have it? 

He was able to get away with running around in a circle, looping back around & throwing a bomb to the sideline in college. He was able to throw without discipline in his mechanics & footwork with zero consequences. You can’t do that in the NFL. These defenders are too good to not be in position to take advantage of an even semi-poorly thrown pass. Maybe Sam’s magic just doesn’t translate enough on the next level? That & Gase has made him a pocket passer and barely rolls him out.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Fair enough. 

THIS WAS NOT HIS WORST GAME

Do you watch the Jets or nah?

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, it might be. The seeing ghosts Pats game and the rookie meltdown in Miami are the only ones that are close, but given the circumstances and his just flat out awful throws yesterday I think you can argue this was worse.

I mean, if you think this was "his worst game", you haven't watched the last 26 starts...

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

My only worry is that maybe us 'patient types' are somehow failing to spot the obvious. 

I remember this happening with Sam Bradford...he had a sh*tload of talent, was a highly rated prospect, but like Darnold - he had terrible luck to start his career. The media, and the fans repeatedly made excuses for him, but ultimately, the results never came. 

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Teams are no longer bound to QBs anymore, you can easily move onto the next one. 

Certainly a legit concern but it's not like we have any better option at the moment though anyway.  If we stink up the joint then I'm fine drafting Trevor Lawrence.

57 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If Darnold is going to refuse to scramble/run then there’s no point in moving forward with him. He’s not a traditional passer, he’s also a decent athlete.  Not sure if it’s the spleen thing, but he’s not nearly good enough to not scramble if he needs to. 

is his speen fixed?

I don't want to be ready to move on from Sam but I feel his mistakes are mostly mental and in year 3 if we're still dealing with that problem being as prominent as it is, then maybe moving on is the best option. Sam was raw and we haven't really done right by him at all, but mentally he needs to be better.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This is true. The old standard was 19 starts. Sam has blown past that and still looks like a mush

How about our HC?  He's lost 8 out of his 17 games here by double-digits.  So he gets 2 more games before you call him out as a mush too?  Or does the excuse train keep rolling along for him?

Choices B and D are somewhat redundant. In particular, choice B is probably unnecessary, since I imagine virtually everyone who agrees that we need to give Sam more time is also at least a tad bit worried after watching him in his 27th start yesterday afternoon. 

Listen, we might be overreacting a bit from week 1, but this is a huge year for Darnold. It's time for him to either take a step forward or step aside.  And the bottom line is that he got off to a really bad start yesterday.

Yes, it was only one game. Yes, week 1 has misled us before (e..g scoring 48 in Detroit in 2018). But, again, Darnold just made his 27th start. While he has certainly shown flashes of brilliance along the way, he just hasn't put it all together yet and he did not play anywhere near as well as many of us expected.  

Realistically, he's getting the rest of the season, so he still has time, but that's the other thing: Look at this schedule. Look at the supporting cast he has. What happens if/when an angry SF defense dominates our offense and we get trounced for a second straight week? We'll be starting at 0-2 with a trip to Indy and very likely 0-3. 

It just feels to me like the wheels are about to come off the Darnold train very quickly.

This is a HUGE week for him. HUGE. You can make an argument that the next two games are the biggest of his career, thus far. It's time to ball, Sam. 

He's got the rest of the season to prove he's not a bust. After that, he's done here. No more excuses. I want to see either 1) he plays his ass off and proves beyond all doubt that he's the guy, or 2) he completely falls off a cliff and puts us in position to draft Trevor Lawrence. Please, for the love of God, nothing in between. I don't want to see him suck for the first half of the season, then "turn it on" in the second half and brings us to 7-8 wins, while leaving us to question his inconsistency. Just either be really really good, or really really bad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’m curious to know what people think an “offense tailored to Darnold’s strengths” actually looks like.

People are going to say some words that include "designed roll outs" and "quick reads" or some nonsense.  But, this is exactly it.

"Ability to improvise" is a bonus, not a core strength.  This is only slightly less absurd than when we all tried to pretend that Chad Pennington was somehow meaningfully better than the rest of the league at selling a play-action fake.  It's why Allen, who isn't good, is so much better.  There's one or two things that Allen does in fact do well.  The Bills and he can maximize that.

Sam Darnold has no pure strength to his game.  His arm talent is middling at best, his ability to understand defenses and work through progressions is below average, his vision is poor, his deep ball is horrific, his footwork is poor, his maneuverability is solid.  There's not a thing to point to and say, he does this better than just about anyone, and that's what we're going to build around.  He needs to improve in a half a dozen ways.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

If Darnold is going to refuse to scramble/run then there’s no point in moving forward with him. He’s not a traditional passer, he’s also a decent athlete.  Not sure if it’s the spleen thing, but he’s not nearly good enough to not scramble if he needs to. 

This is how I've felt.  He's a decent athlete who's playing QB.  He's not a QB.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

No.... I want to see Sam's performance after he escapes from Gase.  That was all Tannehill needed. 

Joe Douglas... DO YOUR JOB.  FIRE ADAM GASE. 

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. The only way Gase gets fired after this season is if the team totally collapses and we go like, 2-14, which means that Darnold most likely blew chunks, and we'll be in position to draft Lawrence anyway, and that would mean the end of Sam's career as a Jet.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m curious to know what people think an “offense tailored to Darnold’s strengths” actually looks like.

See Jeremy Bates offense towards the end of his rookie year. Outside of yesterday, Darnold is the most accurate on the move thrower I’ve seen. Bates designed a roll out to his freaking left because he knew he had the ability to make they throw. Darnold is deadly in space, not being a statue in the pocket.