Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?

TuscanyTile2

Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Are you ready to move on from Sam?

• Nope, I still have faith in the guy
    • Not yet but I'm legitimately worried about him being a bust
    • Stick a fork in him. It's time to move on.
    • Let's give him a little more time before making this judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/20/2020 at 04:17 PM

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m curious to know what people think an “offense tailored to Darnold’s strengths” actually looks like.

Lot of shotgun, and running hurry up.

Saw a stat that had him as the 2nd best hurry up QB in the league, and was barely behind Jackson at #1.

He's certainly not very good right now, but Gase should try adjusting for the first time in his career. 

I’m curious to know what people think an “offense tailored to Darnold’s strengths” actually looks like.

One where the coach stops calling senseless plays like run out of bounds behind LOS, take a delay of game and over throw the receiver obv

I still love his talent but its year 3. No matter what you cant be missing those throws and showing such awful mechanics.

Let him play out the rest of the season. If we're bad enough to get a QB then we take a QB. If he somehow pulls it together and plays like a franchise guy then we stick with him. It solves itself. Unless we reach the doomsday scenario...

Like I mentioned before, the worst possible scenario is not the one where he completely busts in flames. The worst scenario is him being totally mediocre and stringing us along for hope, while never being good enough to be the guy and just winning enough games to stop us from getting a top flight QB replacement.

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

Fair enough. 

I don't think anyone is as bad as their worst game. This was his worst ever game.

Except for 2019 New England, or even Jacksonville, or Cincinnati, and last year's Buffalo finale wasn't much better.

Or, 2018 in Cleveland, or Jacksonville, or Minnesota, or at Miami, or at New England.

• Upvote 2

Aggressive man blocking.  Regular line shifts.  Misdirection.  Counter gap.  Counter trey.  Play action passing.  This would also help Lev Bell. 

• Upvote 1

Strong running game, designed roll outs, mix in some RPO concepts, allow him to run more.  Basically stuff that's not sustainable over the course of a long-term NFL career.

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Except for 2019 New England, or even Jacksonville, or Cincinnati, and last year's Buffalo finale wasn't much better.

Or, 2018 in Cleveland, or Jacksonville, or Minnesota, or at Miami, or at New England.

Those games didn't count though because reasons. This one did

For now anyway.

Until the narrative changes to COVID caused limited TC being inherently more challenging to offensive chemistry and even more challenging for a young QB with many new parts. Did i mention how young he is? 

He's young you know. Like really young

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

honest question what was Sam Darnold's best game? 

Green Bay? the guy doesn't exactly have any signature wins or moments 

not since the Rose Bowl 

Cowboys game last year. 

On his good days, he's really efficient, and you get the feeling he can run it up on anyone. But we don't see those games often enough. 

1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

Cowboys game last year. 

On his good days, he's really efficient, and you get the feeling he can run it up on anyone. But we don't see those games often enough. 

this is probably true

the Cowboys went 8-8 last year 2nd in the NFC East - their first non-winning season since 2015 

that is to say

even when he has these games they are against suspect defenses 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is probably true

the Cowboys went 8-8 last year 2nd in the NFC East - their first non-winning season since 2015 

that is to say

even when he has these games they are against suspect defenses 

he wasn't under any real pressure to win. Jets were massive underdogs, and he was coming off mono. 

Easier to do well when nobody expects you to. What's worrying about darnold is how he drops down a level just when you're starting to get excited about him. 

It's what i was saying earlier; he has no consistency in his game. You could put this down to the crappy offense he has to work with, but i'm firmly of the belief that a QB makes the receiver, not the other way around. 

I think its more of a mentality thing. He can definitely play the game, no doubt about that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Those games didn't count though because reasons. This one did

For now anyway.

Until the narrative changes to COVID caused limited TC being inherently more challenging to offensive chemistry and even more challenging for a young QB with many new parts. Did i mention how young he is? 

He's young you know. Like really young

#PracticallyARookie

#HackAttack

• Haha 1

I chose "Not yet but I'm legitimately worried about him being a bust"

I think the level of investment means we have to give him the rest of 2020 and likely all of 2021.

I wouldn't go into 2021 without a backup I felt I could start tho, I will say that.

I think both Gase and Darnold have two years left.  2020 and 2021. 

2022 and beyond will be decided by how 2020 and 2021 go, for each of them.

I went with no but seriously worried.  Like I said in a few other threads, after seeing some of his snaps again, he just looked off.  Timing, trust, etc.  just not there with no preseason.  7 new starters.  That's a lot of change vs. a very good defense on the road.  I'm willing to see if he bounces back before I go on the search for our next QB.  I know everyone loves Lawrence, I dont but as we all know to well, this finding a QB thing, seems to plague the Jets.

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

1) If Darnold plays the rest of the season the way he did yesterday, he's done.

2) Regarding yesterday's game, the first half was worse than the second half, when he got into a better groove.

3) Regarding the horrific start,

a) No OTAs or preseason games

b) limited reps this summer with Perriman and Hogan, his 2 starting outside WRs yesterday.

c) Hogan looks done and Perriman looks like he has his entire career outside of a 5 game stretch at the end of last year.

d) Buffalo was a top 3 defense last year.

Given all that, should we be surprised Darnold started off so cold? I don't think so.

You forgot that the O line is still bad. Not 2019 bad, but still bad.

• Upvote 2

if you are a Jetfan and not gravely concerned, you are on mind altering substances....

the idea of " don;t RUIN Sam"  is is a false narrative....it was always, do his flashes outweigh his very obvious flaws...

fromJan 2018...  3.5 yrs ago...  he does the same sh*t...   I feel there is an extremely high likelihood that his muscle memory cannot be undone.

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

No.... I want to see Sam's performance after he escapes from Gase.  That was all Tannehill needed. 

Joe Douglas... DO YOUR JOB.  FIRE ADAM GASE. 

Why do some people on this board insist on disregarding the fact that GASE DOESN'T REPORT TO JD, AND JD CAN'T FIRE HIM?

It's up to the Dumb and Dumber brothers; JD can't do anything about Gase unless Dumb and Dumber fire him.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure if Darnold is better than an ok QB when surrounded by a good team in the mold of Sanchez. I am far more confident that no matter what his ceiling might be he's never going to get there with Gase running the team. 

JD can't fire Gase but he should absolutely be making the case to the Johnsons that they need to move on and step number one is to start courting his replacement early in the season. 

For 2021, do the Jets:

1. Sign an expensive FA QB and try and trade Darnold?
  2. Draft a new QB and try and trade Darnold, and go with Flacco, Morgan, etc and draft pick.
  3. Sign a mid-priced FA QB to push/backup Darnold and roll with that?  

I am kind of thinking that options 2 and 3 are what work for the Jets in 2021.  The Jets are not the Vikings from a few years ago who can sign Cousins and then have a playoff team.  

Put me in the “not yet but the clock has started” category....

Sam was bad yesterday but I still feel that Coaching and offensive talent are bigger problems.....finding a new QB tomorrow does nothing to fix that. 

With that being said it’s alarming some of the throws/decisions he made yesterday...in his 3rd year...and reportedly working his ass off in the off-season.......maybe he would be farther along in a much better situation IDK......Jets as an organization has proven time and time again they have no clue how to develop a QB....such a shame Joe Douglas walked into a sinking ship and may have to draft a QB of his own in year or two 

8 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Fair enough. 

I don't think anyone is as bad as their worst game. This was his worst ever game. So i'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm interested to see how he recovers from this. It'll reveal his character.

The “seeing ghosts” game at home vs Pats last year was much worse then yesterday but I get your point 

8 hours ago, peebag said:

Right now, it looks as though the Jets are 2-3 years out from being competitive.  They may be forced to actually get rid of Sam and move on just for that fact.

Yup. This is the fear because that’s how stupid of a franchise the jets are by putting themselves in this situation. Anyone with half a brain could have avoided this