All Pundits Unanimous - Jets Were A Joke & Gase Is The Cause

THE BARON

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

The groundswell of negativity against Gase in the media and the fan base is going to get louder and louder as this season progresses to the point where ownership will be forced to listen and ultimately make a move.  Unfortunately, I don't think they will have the stones to make a move until the season is over and another year of Darnold on a rookie contract is lost.

It will become obvious very soon that Gase has to be fired based on the sheer regression of Darnold alone.  He’s going to get wrecked next week against the 9ers and what little shred of confidence he might still have will circle the drain.

I don’t think his head is in the game anymore ie jogging out of bounds and taking a loss instead of just throwing it away.  He knows what a sh*t hand he was dealt from Day 1 and now he might be close to mailing it in.

Footwork is atrocious.  Throwing the ball up for grabs in the middle of the field.

Only the Jets could hire an “offensive guru” who takes their Offense to LAST in the league and ruins the most important player on the roster.  The player he sold the idiot owners he would take to next levels.

I can’t blame Gase for everything, due to one of the worst rosters I’ve ever seen at the pro level, but what has happened to Darnold is inexcusable.

• Post of the Week 2

38 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

@SAR I

I like your point on Jordan Palmer.  The one concerning thing to me is that Josh Allen is in that same program and he seems to be developing the mental aspect of the game while Sam is not.  

The inflection of his cadence is a perfect example.  Josh Allen is picking up the small nuances and Sam is not yet they train together 9 months out of the year.  Adam shouldn't have to tell Sam to do/recognize that.  Why do you think this is happening?

I don’t want to think this as I am a huge Darnold supporter, but maybe he isn’t a franchise quarterback.  He didn’t look poised or smart yesterday.  Year 3.  Year 2 in the same playbook.  No excuses for those **** ups.  

As for Allen, he has an element of his game that Darnold does not-  he is a running back.  Darnold is asked to pass from the pocket and is more dependent on his supporting cast where Allen is free to run and make plays on his own.  It takes longer to develop a passing quarterback and less time to let the best athlete on the field run around. 

SAR I 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

The Padres are maybe the best young team in baseball. Any baseball fan with a clue pays them a lot of attention. Funny that you missed the mark so badly in two sports in one post.

I wasn't talking about fans, I was talking about the media.

For sportswriters in Chicago who know a lot about their local teams and the top teams in the NFL, they boil down the likes of the Browns and Jets to one sentence and they repeat that sentence over and over again as their Monday morning hot take.  "Adam Gase is blah blah" is the boilerplate sentence opener for the Jets.

Gase doesn't look very good after yesterday.  Williams and Darnold look worse and that's far more concerning.  Believe me, I'd love nothing more than a coaching change to fix what happened yesterday, but that's not the answer.  Strategy and preparation are important, but ultimately Williams is solely responsible for the defense and Darnold is solely responsible for reads, decisions, audibles, and accuracy and both sh-t the bed yesterday.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

It will become obvious very soon that Gase has to be fired based on the sheer regression of Darnold alone.  He’s going to get wrecked next week against the 9ers and what little shred of confidence he might still have will circle the drain.

Or how about after 33 preseason and regular season games Darnold's regression is on Darnold and/or his Personal Quarterback Whisperer at Jordan Palmer's School Of Bachelor Nation.

There is nothing that Adam Gase did to make Sam Darnold miss open receivers, throw off the wrong foot, throw across the middle while running toward the sideline, audible incorrectly, and hold onto the ball while running out of bounds.  That's high school s***. 

Eventually, the young player is expected to be an adult player and it becomes obvious the problem isn't the coach.  It's the player.  I don't recall Jets fans screaming for Rex Ryan's head or Brian Schottenheimer's head when Mark Sanchez started floundering in Year 3..  They just wanted to throw him under the bus and get a new quarterback.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Or how about after 33 preseason and regular season games Darnold's regression is on Darnold and/or his Personal Quarterback Whisperer at Jordan Palmer's School Of Bachelor Nation.

There is nothing that Adam Gase did to make Sam Darnold miss open receivers, throw off the wrong foot, throw across the middle while running toward the sideline, audible incorrectly, and hold onto the ball while running out of bounds.  That's high school s***. 

Eventually, the young player is expected to be an adult player and it becomes obvious the problem isn't the coach.  It's the player.  I don't recall Jets fans screaming for Rex Ryan's head or Brian Schottenheimer's head when Mark Sanchez started floundering in Year 3..  They just wanted to throw him under the bus and get a new quarterback.  

SAR I

All valid points, and I agree with them.

So how long a leash do you give Gase?

I know he has been dealt a sh*t hand with this roster, same as Darnold, but when do you ask yourself whether this guy can win when his QB is not named Peyton Manning but also put up a consistently competitive offensive product on the field?  Notice I did not say Winning product.  At this point I’ll just settle for an offense that looks like it belongs in the NFL...sad.

22 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

All valid points, and I agree with them.

So how long a leash do you give Gase?

While we may have hired him to be an offensive guru, I believe his actual strength is as a head coach.  He is a straight-shooter, he is not a politician, he doesn't play nice with the media, he holds his players accountable, and he is the established boss, all things you want in a head coach.  These guys have to be hard assed a-holes yet command respect and loyalty in the locker room, not an easy skillset.  Gase has this.

Great head coaches are hard to find and none want to come to the Jets, so you have to find a) someone who has been a head coach before and b) give him a second chance in order to find the next great one.  Gase hasn't done enough to be fired as a head coach this season and he did a great job last season; if offensive coordination is the problem, let's hire a new offensive coordinator.  If quarterback is a problem, let's find a new quarterback.  Gase's value as a head coach may be the only thing good that comes from the Darnold era.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

This arrangement hasn’t worked out, so Gase will need to go. But if anyone thinks this franchise’s problems will be solved with a new coach, you’re fooling yourself. The Jets problem has been neglecting offense for two decades and overall poorer drafting than is fathomable. And on that topic, Joe Douglas hasn’t improved this team one iota, for what it’s worth. 

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

This arrangement hasn’t worked out, so Gase will need to go. But if anyone thinks this franchise’s problems will be solved with a new coach, you’re fooling yourself. The Jets problem has been neglecting offense for two decades and overall poorer drafting than is fathomable. And on that topic, Joe Douglas hasn’t improved this team one iota, for what it’s worth. 

Yes, lets fire Douglas and let the Johnson's hire a new GM.  Should work out great!

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, lets fire Douglas and let the Johnson's hire a new GM.  Should work out great!

Definitely not in favor of firing the guy. But he shouldn’t be above criticism. He’s got his handprints on this team. It’s entirely possible that we could've had Diggs and Robby on the outside yesterday, along with another rookie recover. Maybe he doesn’t believe in Darnold like some have been saying. 

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

Definitely not in favor of firing the guy. But he shouldn’t be above criticism. He’s got his handprints on this team. It’s entirely possible that we could've had Diggs and Robby on the outside yesterday, along with another rookie recover. Maybe he doesn’t believe in Darnold like some have been saying. 

Getting Diggs would have very possibly meant no Becton.  You can only play with the cards you're dealt.  Giving up draft capital was never going to be a thing for Douglas entering the 2020 draft.  He needed MORE picks in that draft, not less.

Douglas offered Robby Anderson the same or more money than Carolina did, btw.  

Adam Gase is a proven loser (30-34 lifetime record to date and falling), who isn't very good at his area of supposed expertise, Offense (24, 25, 31, 32 and so far in 2020 26th rankings so far). 

His only modicum of success as an NFL Head Coach was in his very first year, 2016, his only winning season, where he led a roster of mostly someone else's chosen players in a one and done campaign.

His record with QB's is poor, with Tannehill producing much less with Gase than before of after Gase.  Darnold TBD but looked lost yesterday in a way people here swore would never happen again after the Patriots "Ghosts" game.

And his teams are consistently one of the most injured in the league, for whatever that is worth.  we're on track for that again this year.

And based on yesterday, we're headed the wrong direction as a Franchise.  Worse, not better.  

Gase will be fired, sooner or later (likely later knowing the Johnsons and Head Coach salaries), so I'd wager we will have to suffer through another bad/losing year this year, and at least one more next year as well before Gase is rightfully removed.

With that said, while Gase is a horrible Head Coach, he's not the only problem.  Darnold is probably not a franchise QB in the making.  All of his many issues coming out remain as bad or worse today than they were were he declared.  He has poor mechanics, poor decision making, very questionable accuracy and poor feel with happy feet.  Yes, he is under pressure alot, but he also makes bad decisions alot.  Young or not, he's a third year starter who looks to be on a trajectory lower than our previous USC QB at this point.  Only time will tell, and he's running out.  He has 2020 and 2021.  Then he's gone to the realm of failed starter backups (a la Geno and Sanchez) if he's not much better by the end of that time.

And finally, our organizational structure needs fixed, it's an absolutely must.  Douglas may or may not be the Man, but the Head Coach MUST work for the GM, not for the Owner directly.  This split is ridiculous, and continues to cause measurable problems of split vision for the team and Coaches working with GM's they undercut, and GM's stuck with Coaches they may or may not wish to retain if given their own choice.  It's a broken structure the Johnsons must fix.  And frankly, I think they have to stop hiring rookie or near-rookie-but-failed Head Coaches.  Imagine what a legit Coach like Ron Rivera might do here.  he certainly has made meaningful improvements to that DC team.  

No, sadly I think we're in for years more of this same old same old before we ever get a chance to be anything but the butt of other NFL Fans jokes.  

And make no mistake, today we remain the laughingstock of the NFL.  The worst franchise in the league.  A joke.  I, for one, am tired of it and would like to see some god damn accountability.  

FWIW - these bozos you're listening to get it wrong, all the time, every single year.  This is the week of media overreactions where almost all of them walk away with many feet in their hot air filled mouths.  This is the time of the year where typically they're all writing off Brady or Manning or this team or that team only to be on their knees giving verbal felatio as those teams head into the playoffs.

Not to say they're wrong here but just saying.  What will be the storyline if they beat the 49'ers? 

3 hours ago, shawn306 said:

What is Gase's offense ? Seriously

I heard Bart asking that question in the post game I had no answer other than ($hitty)

Is the trying to implement a west coast offense ?

Spread ?

Run and work off play action.

Any answers would be greatly apprieciated.

In Year 2, would expect this would be a serious offensive attack, focused on getting the ball upfield. Instead, it's east/west, dumpoffs with no hope of doing anything. What is the plan here? The OL is in fact improved; if the pass is bogged down, road grade it. Kinda worked on their 1st first down. Darnold doesn't feel the rush, doesn't step up, doesn't roll out Would not have had a problem being run heavy early yesterday when the pass wasn't there, and trying to play action off that. Instead, we got delayed handoffs up the middle against fast defense; screen passes: and bombs. 3rd down passes nowhere near the stick; what's the point? And to have a delay of game coming out of a TV timeout, WTF. Know I'm rambling. But this team is making people including me think if caring about this team is worth their time at all. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

What will be the storyline if they beat the 49'ers? 

This happens now two years in a row:  The experts say we have one of the worst rosters in the league, the experts say we can win no more than 6 games, the experts say we are a 6 point underdog on the road, and the fans all agree that the experts are right.

And when we track to be no more than a 6-win team and when we lose by more than 6 on the road, they blame Adam Gase.  For meeting their own expectations.  It's either hysterical or it's dumbfounding, haven't decided which yet.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Mo Lew said:

@SAR I

I like your point on Jordan Palmer.  The one concerning thing to me is that Josh Allen is in that same program and he seems to be developing the mental aspect of the game while Sam is not.  

The inflection of his cadence is a perfect example.  Josh Allen is picking up the small nuances and Sam is not yet they train together 9 months out of the year.  Adam shouldn't have to tell Sam to do/recognize that.  Why do you think this is happening? 

Oh come on, are you trying to tell me Josh Allen eating a ham sandwich while looking over the field vs a Jet defense without 2 of their best players (Mosely & Adams) & no pass rush is equal to Sam going against a top 3 defense? 

Just now, Jetster said:

Oh come on, are you trying to tell me Josh Allen eating a ham sandwich while looking over the field vs a Jet defense without 2 of their best players (Mosely & Adams) & no pass rush is equal to Sam going against a top 3 defense? 

allen had ridiculous time yesterday.  and even when the jets got close to him, allen was faster.  it never really looked like allen thought the jets could catch him.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

What does that have to do with pre snap cadence? Or not throwing the ball away. I’m not expecting greatness but basic game strategy should be covered by now. 

he’s making the same mistakes and that’s disheartening. 

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

In Year 2, would expect this would be a serious offensive attack, focused on getting the ball upfield. Instead, it's east/west, dumpoffs with no hope of doing anything. What is the plan here? The OL is in fact improved; if the pass is bogged down, road grade it. Kinda worked on their 1st first down. Darnold doesn't feel the rush, doesn't step up, doesn't roll out Would not have had a problem being run heavy early yesterday when the pass wasn't there, and trying to play action off that. Instead, we got delayed handoffs up the middle against fast defense; screen passes: and bombs. 3rd down passes nowhere near the stick; what's the point? And to have a delay of game coming out of a TV timeout, WTF. Know I'm rambling. But this team is making people including me think if caring about this team is worth their time at all. 

Run behind #77. Simple game.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Amen. Darnold needs to start taking this sh*t seriously! He’s heard too much no weapons. Now it’s a crutch, throw the effing ball on time & accurate, get in some guys faces if you have to & for god sake, I thought we were over that sh*t of running out of bounds instead of throwing it away when we got rid of Geno! 
Sam needs to pick up the damn pace & show some f*cking excitement out there. 
I felt like I was watching a old guy mailing it in!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Run behind #77. Simple game.

No argument here. Even worked a few times. To offensive genius Adam Gase, that isn't fancy enough. Best way to slow down a pass rush is run it down their throats. Which is why the OL got upgraded.