I’d take Rex in a heartbeat right now

Viermoo

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Rex and Sanchez gave us the best two years of Jets football in the last 20 years.  That earns them some respect in my book.

Chris Johnson said Adam Gase was coaching where football was going.  As each game gets played, that statement is ringing more and more ridiculous.  Uptight, inflexible anti-social white guy from Michigan is coaching where football is going?   Really?

The NFL is in the entertainment business.  The number of double-digit losses and uncompetitive Adam Gase coached games is staggering.  That is what gets him fired.  

He is.  The sh*tter.

• Haha 2

He won 6 of his last 9 games.  That's progress.
The Jets are expected to have a 6 win ceiling and were 6 point underdogs.  They lost to a playoff team on the road by 10 points.  I don't remember you having the Jets as a 10-6 playoff team this year.  I don't remember you predicting a Jets win yesterday.
Gase is meeting your expectations until he loses his 11th game.  Then you can talk about how much he is letting you down.  Savvy?
SAR I

You’re the most delusional poster on this board. You don’t really believe any of the sh*t you typed do you?
Gase is the worst coach I’ve seen in a long time
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

Rex Ryan came to Buffalo and turned a #2 ranked defense under Jim Schwarz into the 26th ranked defense with only two starting personnel changes. Bills fans rejoiced when that clown show left town.

What a nightmare of a head coach up in Buffalo.  Just ask any Bills fan.
He destroyed the Bills D.  His Jets defense was best known for not being able to get off the field on 3rd and long.  

Rex was temporarily a good head coach for the Jets...until he had a heavy hand in picking his players.   They had to get rid of him. 

it’s hard to believe there are Jets fans who actually would welcome him back. There’s a good reason he will never be hired again to coach an NFL team...  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

There isn't any question Rex is a better head coach than Gase.

The Gase Jets have only showed up ready to play around 50% of the time.  Like noncompetitive.  The losses are mostly bad, bad losses.

At least with Rex I was confident they'd put up a fight.

This is just awful.  The Johnson Brothers and in over their head.  They can't even hire the right consultant.

Christopher and Woody Johnson better step back and let Joe Douglas pick the next head coach.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, y2k8 said:

They extended Sanchez.

Rex even got a tattoo of his wife wearing his jersey.

If Rex didn't think the kid was his problem, why should we?

Sanchez lead the team to two deep playoff runs. Sanchez and the Holmes contract was the downfall for Tannenbaum, our best GM this century. 

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Oh, so then Mark Sanchez was the greatest quarterback in Jets history, one who carried the old defense and old offense to Manning-like heights?

They had a few lucky bounces, I’d give you that. 

LOL.  You can't have it both ways.  Can't say Sanchez sucked and was carried by the defense without being able to say that if the defense didn't carry Sanchez then Sanchez carried the D.

Nice try though.

SAR I

1. Sanchez did carry the team on a few occasions. 

2. Can we say Rex got the best out of Sanchez, however that may be?

7 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

1. Sanchez did carry the team on a few occasions. 

2. Can we say Rex got the best out of Sanchez, however that may be?

1.  Thank you.

2.  No, we cannot.  Rex didn't do a thing on offense, he was 100% focused on defense and left the offense to his coordinator.  Brian Schottenheimer got the best out of Mark Sanchez, just like he's getting the best out of Russell Wilson.

Keeping Rex Ryan instead of Mark Sanchez + Brian Schottenheimer goes down as the worst decision in recent franchise history.  The odds were greater that Schotty could develop Mark than they were that Rex could succeed with Sporano developing Geno.  Just a colossal mistake, we've been chasing offense ever since they both left town.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A HC who can only succeed with Pro Bowlers across the roster, including at QB, is not a good HC at all.  He failed in two different spots where he had excellent circumstances.  Meanwhile the defense was significantly better in Buffalo under Jim Schwartz than it was under Rex Ryan. 

He had a losing record for his career and can't find a HC job anymore, after getting fired by Buffalo in just 2 years.

Reconcile all of that and still try to explain Rex Ryan was a good HC.  I'm excited for the mental gymnastics!

There weren't pro-bowlers "across the roster". The skill positions and defensive linemen were mediocre at best - The depth in the secondary was piss poor throughout. The only good safety they had was a poor fit for Ryan's scheme. They had a very good offensive line, an all time great CB and some stud linebackers but let's not act like it was the 2008 Patriots in terms of talent - Calling it near perfect is absolutely laughable. @T0mShane's beloved guru Mangini had just overseen a draft that was as bad anything MacCagnan or Idzik would produce - Pure garbage. But hey Mangini was only responsible for the good picks, Tanny the bad ones.

Also the most hilarious part of your statement was "aside from the QB" in a completely QB driven league. The most important position in sports. What a ridiculous disclaimer. Any coach having success with the trash he had at QB was incredible. Never had an even average one in his whole HC career. Sanchez is by far the worst QB in the last 20 years to play in two AFC title games. There's not another one who comes even close. 

I didn't say he's a great head coach but to downplay his two first seasons here is just asinine. He overachieved - No one expected us to win those games late in the season but we did all the same. You're just trying to rewrite history. That team was considered a joke when he walked in, certainly up until we got guys like Scott and Leonhard who came because of Rex - If you can find me any mainstream source that was predicting any level of success for the Jets in 2009 then by all means show it to me. The team was coming off an absolutely historic collapse and had lost their Hall of Fame QB.

When Rex arrived there was a debate over whether or not Kellen Clemens or Brett f*cking Ratliff would be the starting the season. It was a shambles. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I didn't say he's a great head coach but to downplay his two first seasons here is just asinine. He overachieved - No one expected us to win those games late in the season but we did all the same. You're just trying to rewrite history. That team was considered a joke when he walked in, certainly up until we got guys like Scott and Leonhard who came because of Rex - If you can find me any mainstream source that was predicting any level of success for the Jets in 2009 then by all means show it to me. The team was coming off an absolutely historic collapse and had lost their Hall of Fame QB.

When Rex arrived there was a debate over whether or not Kellen Clemens or Brett f*cking Ratliff would be the starting the season. It was a shambles. 

nice. Rex wasn't all that, and holding your beath evey time the QB drops back isn;t fun, but that 2 yr stretch was the most fun I had as a Jet fan since 1998. A ******* blast. And I'll always appreciate Rex for that. 

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

LOL, Mark Sanchez is 10x the quarterback Sam Darnold is right now, and we saw Rex Ryan with a bad roster in 2012, 2013, and 2014 and it didn't end well.

Rex inherited some nice players.  Adam didn't.

SAR I

He had 10x the running game, 10x the offensive line and 10x the receivers but other than that he's 10x better than Darnold.

16 hours ago, Viermoo said:

Say what you want about him. He took a team with a terrible QB to two AFC championships in a row. Not only that but, players loved giving their all for him. 

Rex was HC of NYJ for 6 seasons with a 46-50 record.  

If we're going to daydream, can we at least daydream better than .500?  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, pointman said:

Damn.
Also, why do you sign off each post with your username?

Pick any multiple you like, talk about his support system any way you like, but in the end you arrive at the same conclusion:  Mark Sanchez starting Year 3 is a better quarterback than Sam Darnold.  We hope that changes, of course, but right now that's where it's at.

Mark Sanchez always signed his fanmail responses "Mark" at the end.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

He had 10x the running game, 10x the offensive line and 10x the receivers but other than that he's 10x better than Darnold.

And that's my point about Mark Sanchez, always has been.

A great quarterback matters when you're ready to be a consistent winner.  At that time, with the right defense, with the right offensive coordinator, Mark Sanchez was the perfect quarterback.  Low on the cap, able to take orders, no ego, a beast in 4th quarter comebacks, unbelievable knack for raising his level of play in the postseason, he was just great and a perfect fit for that particular team.

If the goal is to win a Super Bowl, you need a great 4th quarter comeback player and you need a clutch fearless playoff player.  Mark was those things.  In fact, if Darnold doesn't show those traits it's time to move on from him; we don't need another wimp like Pennington.

SAR I

9 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

There isn't any question Rex is a better head coach than Gase.

The Gase Jets have only showed up ready to play around 50% of the time.  Like noncompetitive.  The losses are mostly bad, bad losses.

At least with Rex I was confident they'd put up a fight.

This is just awful.  The Johnson Brothers and in over their head.  They can't even hire the right consultant.

Christopher and Woody Johnson better step back and let Joe Douglas pick the next head coach.

Jets only have 40 more punts than tds last 2 years under the offensive coach Gase

19 hours ago, SAR I said:

LOL, Mark Sanchez is 10x the quarterback Sam Darnold is right now, and we saw Rex Ryan with a bad roster in 2012, 2013, and 2014 and it didn't end well.

Rex inherited some nice players.  Adam didn't.

SAR I

Yeah man he got stuck with a much more talented qb and literally one of the best RB s to ever play in the nfl.

Gase is just a bad coach man.

How many loses is it going to take for you to admit it. All gase has done is shown he can make any team unprepared for any opponent.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

And that's my point about Mark Sanchez, always has been.

A great quarterback matters when you're ready to be a consistent winner.  At that time, with the right defense, with the right offensive coordinator, Mark Sanchez was the perfect quarterback.  Low on the cap, able to take orders, no ego, a beast in 4th quarter comebacks, unbelievable knack for raising his level of play in the postseason, he was just great and a perfect fit for that particular team.

If the goal is to win a Super Bowl, you need a great 4th quarter comeback player and you need a clutch fearless playoff player.  Mark was those things.  In fact, if Darnold doesn't show those traits it's time to move on from him; we don't need another wimp like Pennington.

SAR I

You don't understand football at all. Mark is now some sort of good qb? Are you serious?

This world you live in, mark never elevated anyone, the team and game plan carried him a long.