Alarming Breakdown from Baldinger

SR24

35 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

People are deluded, Sam is broken, Gase helped ruin the kid. David Carr shell shocked.

If he was drafted by another team. I think he’d be ok? - The Johnson’s are the root of everything.

That's funny, I don't recall you saying that Rex Ryan "ruined" Mark Sanchez or Todd Bowles "ruined" Geno Smith.

Oh, but Adam Gase, tsk tsk, no he's the type who could ruin Sam Darnold.  You know, by designing an offense around him that could produce a 6-2 record, 14 TD's, 4 INT's and a rating of 93.3 good for Top 10 in the NFL the second-half of last season.

And Adam did all this "ruining" in a handful of weeks of in-person training camp in a pandemic.  LOL.

How about the truth:  Sam is regressing because Sam isn't very good right now and it has nothing to do with how he is coached unless you want to point the finger at the guy who personally lived with him for 4 months, Jordan Palmer.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Many fans here won't agree but Danny boy is right on this one.

Darnold played bad and many mistakes were on him.  But this kid is in a bit of a tough spot.  We can only hope that, like last year, the Jets figure out a way to do the best with the limited weapons they have.

And again, while this is true.  He was missing plays.  Straight up.  Easy plays, he missed them.   You cant blame that on weaponz and Buffalo's D.  That was all Sam.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

It’s been 3 years and we’re seeing the same mistakes at what point is it ok to raise concerns??? You can’t just “missed play” this one lol that’s a game changing play! We spent a 1st and 3 2nds on him to make those plays we’re well passed the give him more time stage man. He’s not playing his own game right now  and that’s a big problem for us if he’s not there mentally.  

Same mistakes? I’ve seen Darnold be basically perfect on the move for 2 years, same with scramble drills. The mistakes yesterday were out of character. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He's not scared and he's not ruined.  He's just not very good.  At least right now.

As for his precious 'feelings' and his 'development', under this same staff and same playbook he finished the year 6-2 with 14 TD's and 4 INT's and a rating of 93.3.  There is nothing Adam Gase could have done in the few weeks of 2020 in-person training camp to "ruin" Sam or his confidence.  Sam spend 4 months with Jordan Palmer, Quarterback Whisperer.  Perhaps he should be taking some heat.

SAR I

He's not a quarterback. And Gase is going to get fired for it. And while you're right that it is in a certain sense unfair, again, that was literally the job description.

35 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Not a single person on this forum was saying that Darnold regressed after last year. He improved in every category despite chaos around him... At some point in camp the media turned negative on the entire offense and then after week 1 there is absolute panic. Pretty fascinating actually. 

Required reading.

I'm willing to bet that the gameplan for Buffalo was ground and pound and short passing to the TE's in the face of a 20 mph wind.  And then the defense let the Bills hang 21 on us in the time it takes to drink a beer and, well, so much for that.  It was 3 quarters of a frantic offensive scramble to get back into the game, Darnold forced to do things with a new OL and a set of receivers that aren't up to speed due to preseason injury.

Either way, it's not evidence of "Sam regressing due to coaching".  

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"It was just one play."

"It was just one game."

Except plays like these and games like those are piling up for Darnold.  Very unfortunate.  

True but let’s be realistic. 1st year was so so. Lacked talent all around, bad GM, bad coaching. 2nd year DISASTER forget the final surge- it was overhyped. This year, it’s evident this team lacks overall talent and their draft picks have been horrendous and jd’s picks now all injured. No way this is going to get better for awhile. It will take time and radical moves by JD. To begin with GASE MUST GO BYE BYE ?

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I never said it was a well designed play by Gase.  But still, Darnold needs to make that throw.  Gase may be a bad head coach.  Darnold may be a bad QB.  These statements are not mutually exclusive, nor are they completely independent observations.

Look, I hope we rebound next week, play a strong game, win or lose, and make this past week look like an aberration.  I want Sam to be great.  I want Gase to prove he is a good head coach.  The alternative is another lost season by October and at least 2 - 3 more years of rebuild.  Which is an incredibly depressing thought.  Venting a bit, as many others are, but that was one depressing and demoralizing loss yesterday.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm rooting for Gase, Darnold, the water boy, and everyone else in between to be great this season. I would love nothing more than to have to eat my words about Gase, but IMO, Gase has already shown what he is very clearly and I have zero confidence that he will magically turn into a good coach this season.  I have way more confidence in Darnold to figure it out, with or without the help of his coach.

• Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

There's enough blame to go around.  The media is not part of it.

The media, and their gullible savant fans, are the entire problem.

They give Rex Ryan 8 years because they like how he talks.  The give Adam Gase 4 games because he's aloof.  It's a popularity contest and it feeds SOJF's where they need it the most-  right in their insecure breadbaskets.

SAR I

Some perspective -

Preseason ranking of all 32 NFL teams' offensive weapons....

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29446061/ranking-offensive-weapons-all-32-nfl-teams-2020-barnwell-picks-best-worst

610185051_ScreenShot2020-09-14at2_37_13PM.thumb.png.6d9060da45d9d0898294725ce8ec752c.png

Preseason ranking of all 32 NFL team defenses....

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-top-nine-defenses-in-2020-chargers-bills-49ers-all-loaded-but-who-s-no-1

1868512423_ScreenShot2020-09-14at2_42_11PM.png.6adc90ac21494f646b4977bfa22926a1.png

I'm not too surprised that out of 28 quarterbacks Darnold was 21st in QB passing yards, 24th in QBR and 19th in Completion % in the NFL this week.  We certainly hoped for better but this was a somewhat predictable outcome.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Lol 1 play and the guy is considered a bust. So if joewillie12 makes  that throw he’s the next coming of Johnny Unitas. 

Where did I say he’s a bust? People have been talking about this play all day on here and before this angle of the play came out. Now we see this and it’s even worse, I’m sorry that Darnolds playing bad and people are talking about it. If I had it my way he would have thrown for 600 yards and 7 touchdowns and all of my draftkings lineups would have cashed too. Yet this is where we are and this is the territory this incompetent organization has dragged us and our #3 pick to it’s the sad reality. There’s still time to turn it around but Darnold needs to start playing better. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Let's be honest:  Peyton Manning was nothing before Adam Gase.

Peyton Manning was coming off of career-threatening neck surgery and 100% credits Adam Gase for designing a new offense that suited his reduced skillset.

Peyton Manning might have been nothing if he had the wrong offensive coordinator when he needed one the most.

And I'll take Peyton Manning's referral from the field over your opinion from your armchair, pretzels, and laptop, I'm sure you'll understand.

SAR I

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He showed up reckless, but with a lot of confidence. His first NFL pass was a pick 6 and then came back from it to bitch slap Detroit that first game. Now, he looks like he's just waiting to get off the field and go home. 

Single handedly took a garbage heap of an Offensive Unit, put them on his shoulders, and took apart JJ Watt’s #4 Ranked Houston D.  Took the game over and led what should have been a game winning TD drive until Bowles D blew the game as usual.

That performance had Watt tell Darnold after the game “you’re going to be a Great Pro”....no he is Not.....he has been RUINED, been David Carr’ed like someone else said.

Exactly what I feared the Jets would do to him the second he was drafted.

Now in his 3rd year he still has less than zilch for a running game.  D’s can pin their ears back on him the rest of the year.

Just dissolve the team or move it to Canada.  Probably some teams up there that can beat the Jets.

You Draft Trevor Lawrence next year the SAME cycle will repeat itself...because....Johnsons.

Put the Jets next to the NY Knicks they have much in common.  The ownership is looked at as such a joke that no one with anyone with any past credentials refuse to come on board.

Douglas had some, and outside the money he’ll regret coming.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

And again, while this is true.  He was missing plays.  Straight up.  Easy plays, he missed them.   You cant blame that on weaponz and Buffalo's D.  That was all Sam.

Agree 100%.  He played a bad game.  Trying to figure out why is the hard part.  Is he now a bad QB and suddenly can't throw the ball in the same situations he completed passes in during his rookie season and last year?  Is Gase trying to "coach the mistakes out of him" to the point of Darnold not pulling the trigger in situations with good risk/reward ratios?  Was the timing so off early in the game (think about the first 5-10 passes off target or dropped) that Darnold simply didn't trust himself, his WR's route-running accuracy, his timing with the receivers in order to make a throw that last year was 90% completable? I have no idea.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Single handedly took a garbage heap of an Offensive Unit, put them on his shoulders, and took apart JJ Watt’s #4 Ranked Houston D.  Took the game over and led what should have been a game winning TD drive until Bowles D blew the game as usual.

That performance had Watt tell Darnold after the game “you’re going to be a Great Pro”....no he is Not.....he has been RUINED, been David Carr’ed like someone else said.

Exactly what I feared the Jets would do to him the second he was drafted.

Now in his 3rd year he still has less than zilch for a running game.  D’s can pin their ears back on him the rest of the year.

Just dissolve the team or move it to Canada.  Probably some teams up there that can beat the Jets.

You Draft Trevor Lawrence next year the SAME cycle will repeat itself...because....Johnsons.

Put the Jets next to the NY Knicks they have much in common.  The ownership is looked at as such a joke that no one with anyone with any past credentials refuse to come on board.

Douglas had some, and outside the money he’ll regret coming.

Cowboys, Raiders, Redskins, Giants, Ravens

stop acting like he hasn’t played well since his rookie year... 

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe this sh*thead should concentrate on the unbroken plays.  

The point is, I can see all sorts of evidence of "bad coaching" on the defensive side of the ball yesterday and no threads on the topic.

And I can't see much evidence of "bad coaching" on the offensive side of the ball yesterday and there are a dozen threads on the topic.

If you're looking for a villain, Gregg Williams cost us yesterday's game.  If the D shows up in the first quarter, it's 7-0 at worst, not 21-0.  The D is far more intact from last season, the O a complete teardown.  If you don't buy that, okay, Sam Darnold had a much superior OL and set of receivers yesterday than he did at any time last season and if he played like December/January Sam we'd have won the game.

Gase isn't blameless.  But he's not why we lost yesterday.  Darnold and Gregg had far worse games.  

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's funny, I don't recall you saying that Rex Ryan "ruined" Mark Sanchez or Todd Bowles "ruined" Geno Smith.

Oh, but Adam Gase, tsk tsk, no he's the type who could ruin Sam Darnold.  You know, by designing an offense around him that could produce a 6-2 record, 14 TD's, 4 INT's and a rating of 93.3 good for Top 10 in the NFL the second-half of last season.

And Adam did all this "ruining" in a handful of weeks of in-person training camp in a pandemic.  LOL.

How about the truth:  Sam is regressing because Sam isn't very good right now and it has nothing to do with how he is coached unless you want to point the finger at the guy who personally lived with him for 4 months, Jordan Palmer.

SAR I

SAR1

“We are making the playoffs.“

“We lost because Darnold had mono.”

“2020 going to be great..“

Gase is a wack job, who’s got no idea how to run a modern NFL offence. He was so arrogant that he won’t change a single  play call week one.

Darnold makes bone head plays, his Head coach doesn’t help him.

I did notice that was your new Shtick, “Jordan Palmer”.

Personally I wouldn’t let Gase loose on a pee-wee football team. Let alone an NFL one.

Dude you have all but no credibility, you make preprosperous statements, which never come to pass.

I get you want the Jets to Win, we all do, but this franchise is broken, and will take another two years of Douglas to just right the ship.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Peyton Manning was coming off of career-threatening neck surgery and 100% credits Adam Gase for designing a new offense that suited his reduced skillset.

Peyton Manning might have been nothing if he had the wrong offensive coordinator when he needed one the most.

And I'll take Peyton Manning's referral from the field over your opinion from your armchair, pretzels, and laptop, I'm sure you'll understand.

SAR I

It's obvious to anyone who has ever watched football that Adam Gase is the secret behind Peyton's success.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Many fans here won't agree but Danny boy is right on this one.

Darnold played bad and many mistakes were on him.  But this kid is in a bit of a tough spot.  We can only hope that, like last year, the Jets figure out a way to do the best with the limited weapons they have.

I will respectfully disagree, J23:

Sam finished last year 6-2 with 14 TD's, 4 INT's, and a rating of 93.3, Top 10 in the NFL the last half of the season.

Sam had an entire offseason to polish off the things in the playbook he wasn't comfortable with or didn't understand.

Sam was quarantined in a football-only camp for 3+ months with Jordan Palmer, his trusted quarterback coach.

Sam had the entire offensive coaching staff return to Florham Park, same group as last year.

Sam has a better OL and better set of WR's yesterday than at any point last season.

Sam was healthier than at any point last season.

Sam faced a Bills team yesterday not much different than the teams he beat while accumulating 7 wins last season.

Yes, the Jets are not a Top 16 offensive roster.  But we are better than last year and Sam isn't.  That's not on the Jets who did everything to make him feel comfortable this season right down to no changes on the coaching staff and the drafting of a stud LT.  Sam lost yesterday because of Sam.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Rex and Bowles were glorified DC's.  Gase was hired as a glorified OC, to help our young QB (potential FQB - and I still think Sam will be one).  

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The point is, I can see all sorts of evidence of "bad coaching" on the defensive side of the ball yesterday and no threads on the topic.

And I can't see much evidence of "bad coaching" on the offensive side of the ball yesterday and there are a dozen threads on the topic.

If you're looking for a villain, Gregg Williams cost us yesterday's game.  If the D shows up in the first quarter, it's 7-0 at worst, not 21-0.  The D is far more intact from last season, the O a complete teardown.  If you don't buy that, okay, Sam Darnold had a much superior OL and set of receivers yesterday than he did at any time last season and if he played like December/January Sam we'd have won the game.

Gase isn't blameless.  But he's not why we lost yesterday.  Darnold and Gregg had far worse games.  

SAR I

I’m going to puke

Gase is the Head Coach! The coaches did not have the team prepared to play yesterday.

-Penalty on opening kickoff 

-Delay of game after TV timeout 

-Missed tackles all over the place 

-WRs and QB not on same page 

What the hell were these guys doing in training camp? I watched a lot of football over the weekend and no team looked as unprepared as the NY Jets. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

The delusion continues for some, their cognitive dissonance doesn’t allow them to yet see the truth.
We suck, have a bottom 3 roster. A broken QB, a Head Coach who’s clueless, not to mention the worst owners in the NFL. 

This years going to be another horror show. Only thing that will save it is a Corvid lock down.

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

It's unfortunate to say the least. At one point he had decent mechanics, he had amazing maneuvering and confidence. It all just got shot. I was so friggin hyped to close out 2018, he was phenomenal down the stretch and showed everything. The moxy, the arm talent, the mobility, and accuracy. 

I still believe that he would be great if he went elsewhere either in the draft or ala Ryan Tannehill, but it's a shame to see his decline due to a complete lack of support on all fronts. We've completely Carr'd him.

you think carr was good.

nuff said

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sam finished last year 6-2 with 14 TD's, 4 INT's, and a rating of 93.3, Top 10 in the NFL the last half of the season.

Sam had an entire offseason to polish off the things in the playbook he wasn't comfortable with or didn't understand.

Sam was quarantined in a football-only camp for 3+ months with Jordan Palmer, his trusted quarterback coach.

Sam had the entire offensive coaching staff return to Florham Park, same group as last year.

Sam has a better OL and better set of WR's yesterday than at any point last season.

Sam faced a Bills team yesterday not much different than the teams he beat while accumulating 7 wins last season.

Yes, the Jets are not a Top 16 offensive roster.  But we are better than last year and Sam isn't.  That's not on the Jets who did everything to make him feel comfortable this season right down to no changes on the coaching staff and the drafting of a stud LT.  Sam lost yesterday because of Sam.

SAR I

If Sam were in New England right now - being coached by BB - do you think he'd doing a lot better than he is right now?

GASE is AMAZING!

He is AMAZING at coming up with reasons/excuses on why his teams never are any good.

I see that same exact quality in his defenders. Grade A+ in coming up with excuses and never being accountable.

You are what you do, not what you say.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I hear you but 8 new starters around him compared to what he played with last season.  Very little practice with WR1 over the past several weeks.  WR2 joined the team in July.  This was a brand new Jets offense who played Preseason Game #1 together yesterday using an offensive gameplan that seemed stunningly unimaginative and simple with little movement, misdirection, etc.  In the 2nd half we were counting guys like Frank Gore and Chris Hogan to help comeback against a Top 2 NFL defense that probably didn't need much training camp since they've largely been together for 3 years

2020 Preseason NFL Defense Rankings

2067641048_ScreenShot2020-09-14at2_42_11PM.png.cc89191aae2bc3a57a4fe8b996bea1f7.png