Tale of two halves

Phillyjet

Good level headed realistic post.  I was pretty emotional yesterday but I'm trying to remember today is "Overreaction Monday" for a reason.  As you mentioned, the Pats have been written off multiple times because of early season losses to Buffalo only to go onto to the Super Bowl.  I'm not saying that is the Jets destiny but I dont think they're as bad as they looked.  Pretty new team, no preseason vs. a team with a ton of stability.  They were doing things you see normally see in week 1 even with a preseason; penalties, missed tackles, ball security, timing, missed opportunities, etc.  The better team was better prepared.  It was ugly and embarrassing but also probably a good wake up call to put on film and see what they look ike vs. live bullets for the first time.

All that said, there were a ton of missed opportunities yesterday that if capitalized on, could have change the game.  Maybe not the outcome but at the least the complexion. ie; missed throws by Sam, drops by WR's, the fumbles, miss tackles (tons specifically on Josh Allen), etc. 

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

Good level headed realistic post.  I was pretty emotional yesterday but I'm trying to remember today is "Overreaction Monday" for a reason.  As you mentioned, the Pats have been written off multiple times because of early season losses to Buffalo only to go onto to the Super Bowl.  I'm not saying that is the Jets destiny but I dont think they're as bad as they looked.  Pretty new team, no preseason vs. a team with a ton of stability.  They were doing things you see normally see in week 1 even with a preseason; penalties, missed tackles, ball security, timing, missed opportunities, etc.  The better team was better prepared.  It was ugly and embarrassing but also probably a good wake up call to put on film and see what they look ike vs. live bullets for the first time.

All that said, there were a ton of missed opportunities yesterday that if capitalized on, could have change the game.  Maybe not the outcome but at the least the complexion. ie; missed throws by Sam, drops by WR's, the fumbles, miss tackles (tons specifically on Josh Allen), etc. 

JIF I think your a good poster, but who really do we have playing yesterday, was going to capitalise on anything?

We fail to perform because the players  are unable to capitalise, simply because they aren’t capable of doing so. 

They drop the ball, throw bad passes not because they mearly missed a ton of opportunities. They simply put are just bad players.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Nice, a touch of class.

classy vince vaughn GIF

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

Not going to be an apologist here, but yesterday I had difficulty getting the Jet game with it blacked out on the Ticket and with the Patriot game in the local market.  I was pissed.

So I finally figured out how to use VPN to get the local market game, and turned it on in the second quarter down 21-0.  Had heard that the team sucked from friends who had texted me.  But from the Allen fumble on (nice hit Bless), the team wasn’t that bad.  Granted, I hadn’t seen the sh*t show before hand, and the Darnold scramble was mind-boggling but here is what I saw:

1) Acceptable bookend tackles for the first time in a long time

2) I saw rhythm and sticks moving with Darnold and 1 receiver, and half a tight end.  And a beautiful pass down the sideline to Leveon when I first turned the game on.  A couple of years ago, with Geno on the team, we would have been satisfied with 2 offensive TD’s.  There were many weeks we saw none.  The offense is not dreadful, regardless of what people say.  They’re just not in sync, and are still lacking playmakers.

3) A better than average secondary and a decent run support; Maye looked great.  Bless, if he can stay healthy, is a great find.

Now to the bad:

1) Not one receiver beyond Jamison able to create separation; not sure Leveon, even when not injured was that good. Hoping Perine is decent.

2) Meh linebackers (weakness); no pass rush.

3) Lack of urgency in the 4th; not believing enough they could win (lack of leadership).

So, my eyes were not colored by coming into Buffalo and being outclassed by a SB contending team in the first quarter.  Not making excuses, but it’s one game. It happens.

I, for one, will judge the season in its entirety.  Wishing for new QBs and coaches every year or two has grown old.  I remember a couple of years back when NE came into Buffalo week 1 and got hosed.  It’s one week.  Patterns develop over a season.

Let it play out.

I don't want to be a downer, but the Jets were lucky the Bills didn't score at least 40.

1. The Bills were robbed of a FG, and the kicker missed another.

2. Josh Allen missed a wide open TD.

3. The Bills kicked a FG on the goal line. If the game was close the Bills probably use a QB run which seems to be automatic for them to score.

4. Props to Crowder, but that screen pass was a bad call and if the tackle wasn't missed would have led to a punt.

5. The Jets were unable to create any pressure without sending extra heat.

6. The Bills WR completely outclassed the Jets DBs in coverage. Even Maye got beat by the Bills TE.

7. The only time the Jets had rhythm and stick movement was when the Bills were playing prevent D.

The Bills easily could have scored another 17 points.

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

Not going to be an apologist here, but yesterday I had difficulty getting the Jet game with it blacked out on the Ticket and with the Patriot game in the local market.  I was pissed.

So I finally figured out how to use VPN to get the local market game, and turned it on in the second quarter down 21-0.  Had heard that the team sucked from friends who had texted me.  But from the Allen fumble on (nice hit Bless), the team wasn’t that bad.  Granted, I hadn’t seen the sh*t show before hand, and the Darnold scramble was mind-boggling but here is what I saw:

1) Acceptable bookend tackles for the first time in a long time

2) I saw rhythm and sticks moving with Darnold and 1 receiver, and half a tight end.  And a beautiful pass down the sideline to Leveon when I first turned the game on.  A couple of years ago, with Geno on the team, we would have been satisfied with 2 offensive TD’s.  There were many weeks we saw none.  The offense is not dreadful, regardless of what people say.  They’re just not in sync, and are still lacking playmakers.

3) A better than average secondary and a decent run support; Maye looked great.  Bless, if he can stay healthy, is a great find.

Now to the bad:

1) Not one receiver beyond Jamison able to create separation; not sure Leveon, even when not injured was that good. Hoping Perine is decent.

2) Meh linebackers (weakness); no pass rush.

3) Lack of urgency in the 4th; not believing enough they could win (lack of leadership).

So, my eyes were not colored by coming into Buffalo and being outclassed by a SB contending team in the first quarter.  Not making excuses, but it’s one game. It happens.

I, for one, will judge the season in its entirety.  Wishing for new QBs and coaches every year or two has grown old.  I remember a couple of years back when NE came into Buffalo week 1 and got hosed.  It’s one week.  Patterns develop over a season.

Let it play out.

I have heard a few on this forum too quickly call the Bills a SB contender. Allen is wildly inaccurate and only has an easy time with many passes since Diggs, Brown, and Beasley catch anything near them.