Dead Last in the Power Rankings

TMAC

With the exception of a few flashes, over the last few decades the Jets have been consistently mediocre.  It did not help that they played in the same Division as the greatest dynasty in NFL history. (Of course, the Jets did have their coach for one day but blew that, too).  Under the stewardship of Chris Johnson, the Jets have now sunk to the very bottom of the league.  If it was possible to go lower, they would.  This is beyond shameful.  I'm sure that there are fools who think this is a good thing because of the draft, but for those of us who only care about wins and losses, this is unbearably disgusting.  The Johnsons have to go.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TMAC said:

I'm sure that there are fools who think this is a good thing because of the draft, but for those of us who only care about wins and losses, this is unbearably disgusting.  The Johnsons have to go.

jetshistory.jpg

In the 20 years they have owned the team, the Johnson's have delivered 11 non-losing seasons, 9 winning seasons, 6 playoff seasons, 12 playoff games, and 6 playoff wins.  That is a successful stretch by any measure, any Jets fan would take being in the playoffs or in the playoff conversation 50% of the time.

Every team that loads up and goes for Championships crashes and burns shortly thereafter.  It's how the salary cap works.  The Bills and Dolphins are in the midst of 30 year rebuilds trying to get back to their 90's glory.  The 49ers had a long down period, the Broncos too, the Raiders aren't close to their 00's level, it's just how the NFL is.  We are paying the price today for the Rex Ryan runs and its aftermath.

The road to sustained success is to get a GM and HC that can work together for many years, tear down what's there, and rebuild from the ground up.  That's where we are.  And if Darnold is the franchise quarterback we think he is, we are on the cusp of winning right now, certainly in a few years.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Anyone who would call the last 20 years a "successful stretch" has extremely low standards, is a paid lobbyist of the Johnsons, or is insane.

It’s the Sar talking points.  We haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years and won’t for another 10 but but 20 years ago Parcells left us a good roster!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

jetshistory.jpg

In the 20 years they have owned the team, the Johnson's have delivered 11 non-losing seasons, 9 winning seasons, 6 playoff seasons, 12 playoff games, and 6 playoff wins.  That is a successful stretch by any measure, any Jets fan would take being in the playoffs or in the playoff conversation 50% of the time.

Every team that loads up and goes for Championships crashes and burns shortly thereafter.  It's how the salary cap works.  The Bills and Dolphins are in the midst of 30 year rebuilds trying to get back to their 90's glory.  The 49ers had a long down period, the Broncos too, the Raiders aren't close to their 00's level, it's just how the NFL is.  We are paying the price today for the Rex Ryan runs and its aftermath.

The road to sustained success is to get a GM and HC that can work together for many years, tear down what's there, and rebuild from the ground up.  That's where we are.  And if Darnold is the franchise quarterback we think he is, we are on the cusp of winning right now, certainly in a few years.

SAR I

Shake week 1 off @SAR I

We will eat week 2.

Go Jets!

Just now, TMAC said:

Anyone who would call the last 20 years a "successful stretch" has extremely low standards, is a paid lobbyist of the Johnsons, or is insane.

Anyone who doesn't understand that the NFL is all about decades of mediocrity followed by one explosive Championship season isn't paying attention.  Since the Johnson's owned the Jets, look at the Ravens, Bucs, Seahawks, Giants, and Eagles.  Blips on the landscape.  Lots of mediocrity, a peak, and a fade.

Then you have teams like the Indianapolis Colts who had 13 years of Peyton Manning and 11 playoff appearances and only won 1 Super Bowl.

Then you have teams like the Green Bay Packers who had 16 years of Brett Favre and 11 playoff appearances and only won 1 Super Bowl. 

Then you have teams like the New Orleans Saints who had 15 years of Drew Brees and only 8 years of playoff appearances and only won 1 Super Bowl.

I could go on.  The list is endless.  The Jets didn't win a Super Bowl, but for that 20 year stretch from a playoff perspective we were akin to the Saints and we didn't have Drew Brees or Sean Payton.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm good.  The OL will gel, Darnold will get a wakeup call, Perine and Mims will materialize, and things will correct themselves.  2-2 by Week 4 feels attainable if that happens.

SAR I

One day you will be right. Keep at it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TMAC said:

With the exception of a few flashes, over the last few decades the Jets have been consistently mediocre.  It did not help that they played in the same Division as the greatest dynasty in NFL history. (Of course, the Jets did have their coach for one day but blew that, too).  Under the stewardship of Chris Johnson, the Jets have now sunk to the very bottom of the league.  If it was possible to go lower, they would.  This is beyond shameful.  I'm sure that there are fools who think this is a good thing because of the draft, but for those of us who only care about wins and losses, this is unbearably disgusting.  The Johnsons have to go.

Pretty sure it was 2 days (not consecutively).

Agreed that the Johnsons are terrible owners and need to go.

Just now, SAR I said:

If Sam Darnold played on Sunday like he did last year during the 6-2 finish, we beat Buffalo.

I'm not throwing in the towel.  Neither should you.  

SAR I

So then, you're counting this game as a mental win just like week 1 last year against Buffalo?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Pretty sure it was 2 days (not consecutively).

Agreed that the Johnsons are terrible owners and need to go.

Woody had a perfect opportunity to hand the reigns over to a real football person while he was in England. Instead he brings in his brother, who no one knew existed, with zero business experience to run a billion dollar professional football team. This is not a franchise trying to win games.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Really. Have you seen Lawrence play against NFL defenses? Sam looked every bit as good on USC. 

It's an opinion obviously. But I'd bet anyone right now  that Lawrence will go to more pro bowls (or any other measure of traditional QB success) than Darnold by the end of his career.

PS: Darnold did not look "every bit as good" as Lawrence, anyway. 

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

jetshistory.jpg

SAR I

There's no such thing as climate change either!

• Sympathy 1