Selected PFF grades for our team

Hael

PFF scores for our team.  I won't go over everything, just list the ones that are interesting.  They grade players by film and analyze what they think their assignments were and how they perform (so eg do they win 1-1 battles).  Obviously imperfect, but well it's something..

Scale is roughly as follows 60-70 is avg for an NFL starter, 70-80 is good but not great, 80-85 is very good, 85+ is elite, 50-60 is bad, below 50 is garbage
-qb Darnold 37.2
-Not a single one of our WRs scored above a 56.  Perriman was the highest at 55.4.
-Herndon was 50, Ryan was 64.
-Our Oline:  Fant was 58, Lewis was 82 (surprise), Van Roten was 69, Becton was 77, McGovern was 58.
-Rbs:  Bell scored 74 (surprise)
On D:
CBs: Hairston:47, Desir (30), Austin (60), Poole (59)
S: Maye: 84.6
LB: Cashman 64, Langi 45, Hewitt 48,
DL: QW (56), FAtu (81), Anderson(59), Shepherd(50) and McLendon(50)
Edge: Jordan Jenkins was the best at 56.  (everyone else was garbage tier).  (Basham, Luvu, Willis, Phillips)

Couple observations that challenge what people were saying:  Our WRs and TEs were not getting open.  Bell played better than people give him credit for.  Oline was a mixed bag but some good things there. Our CBs played much worse than what we thought, even Austin had a mediocre game according to PFF.  Lbs were mostly garbage other than Cashman.
DL was atrocious other than Fatu (who I think deserves to be first string at this point, after outplaying QW in pretty much every game of his career).  Maye is elite.  Zero edge presence.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I wonder if playing next to Becton could have influenced Lewis' grade? Since I do nto know how they score OI linemen, I do not know. But, to my surprise the Bills did not throw a lot Becton's way in the form of stunts or overload rushes. Instead they overloaded on the opposite side and middle. Regardless, Lewis, like any O lineman, must derive benefit from playing next to someone who is an upgrade over last year, and he is now situated between upgrades at LT and C. 

Look for other teams to ignore Becton and the left side of the Jets O line putting all of the blitz/stunt eggs in the basket from C to RT.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I wonder if playing next to Becton could have influenced Lewis' grade? Since I do nto know how they score OI linemen, I do not know. But, to my surprise the Bills did not throw a lot Becton's way in the form of stunts or overload rushes. Instead they overloaded on the opposite side and middle. Regardless, Lewis, like any O lineman, must derive benefit from playing next to someone who is an upgrade over last year, and he is now situated between upgrades at LT and C. 

Look for other teams to ignore Becton and the left side of the Jets O line putting all of the blitz/stunt eggs in the basket from C to RT.

Good post.  Becton deserves a ton of credit for what he did Sunday but your point about Lewis is very, very interesting.  He's a player that should be good when surrounded by players that are at least good around him (and they were on Sunday).  Looks like a big difference playing between McGovern and Becton than between Harrison/Khalil and Beachum.  I think Lewis was trying to assist on either side of him last year.  Sunday he may have been much more focused on his specific task because he trusted those around him to do their own jobs well.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

McGovern better not be another JAG center or so help me.

I honestly don't expect McGovern to be great.  But he'll be good...and that's what we need right now.  We didn't sign him to be Mawae or Mangold.  We signed him to keep Center from being a liability and to stabilize the position for a couple years.  Tough tasks the first couple weeks against good defensive opponents.

I think that C and potentially OG are still high on the list for the Jets in next year's Draft.  With the Jets having two 1st round picks I wouldn't be shocked at all if they went to a "non-premium" position like interior OL in Round 2 next year.  I like they like Lewis and GVR but they'd love to upgrade one to a difference maker.  I think they like McGovern but he's a placeholder for a couple years.

Influencing the approach to the line will be the development of Cam Clark this season.  Let's see him get healthy and get a month or two of practices under his belt.  If we see Clark playing some games towards the end of this year (by choice, not due to injury) and perhaps stepping over someone like Josh Andrews on the depth chart then that would be a very good thing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hael said:

PFF scores for our team.  I won't go over everything, just list the ones that are interesting.  They grade players by film and analyze what they think their assignments were and how they perform (so eg do they win 1-1 battles).  Obviously imperfect, but well it's something..

Scale is roughly as follows 60-70 is avg for an NFL starter, 70-80 is good but not great, 80-85 is very good, 85+ is elite, 50-60 is bad, below 50 is garbage
-qb Darnold 37.2
-Not a single one of our WRs scored above a 56.  Perriman was the highest at 55.4.
-Herndon was 50, Ryan was 64.
-Our Oline:  Fant was 58, Lewis was 82 (surprise), Van Roten was 69, Becton was 77, McGovern was 58.
-Rbs:  Bell scored 74 (surprise)
On ?
CBs: Hairston:47, Desir (30), Austin (60), Poole (59)
S: Maye: 84.6
LB: Cashman 64, Langi 45, Hewitt 48,
DL: QW (56), FAtu (81), Anderson(59), Shepherd(50) and McLendon(50)
Edge: Jordan Jenkins was the best at 56.  (everyone else was garbage tier).  (Basham, Luvu, Willis, Phillips)

Couple observations that challenge what people were saying:  Our WRs and TEs were not getting open.  Bell played better than people give him credit for.  Oline was a mixed bag but some good things there. Our CBs played much worse than what we thought, even Austin had a mediocre game according to PFF.  Lbs were mostly garbage other than Cashman.
DL was atrocious other than Fatu (who I think deserves to be first string at this point, after outplaying QW in pretty much every game of his career).  Maye is elite.  Zero edge presence.

Cashman was garbage too. Hurt after 2 plays.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Two firsts and a third for 1.2 points, based on pressures. Totally killed our team tho

If we use Maye like we used Adams, the production will be similar, but Maye will not last 10 games this season.  Likely less.  

Maye is two years older than Adams, FWIW.  

Maye will likely not be a Jet next year.  If he can play more than 10 games, someone will pay him $8-$10mm.

Good for Maye.  Seems like a good guy. 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think that PFF is interesting for a data point but sometimes they don't really mesh with the eye test. Seemed like the middle of the OL was weaker than their grades. Bell's rating is ludicrous

I've noticed that PFF tends to grade situations where there are easy 1-1s to diagnose.  So eg its sometimes hard to grade a rb on a specific play, b/c they're supposed to be patient while things develop (and thus look awful when nothing develops and they get stuffed), hence they likely ignore those situations in their grade.  However when you have 1-1 situations like on those wheel routes, its very clear whether Bell beats or doesn't beat his man.  

So my guess is that there were a lot of plays where Bell didn't have much of a chance b/c of stacked boxes, or bad blocking, and thus his score was largely about his passing down plays (and he was shredding their lbers all game before he was hurt).

7 hours ago, Hael said:

Our Oline:  Fant was 58, Lewis was 82 (surprise), Van Roten was 69, Becton was 77, McGovern was 58.

Overall, this is very encouraging. Everyone's playing at an NFL level, at least. Turning over 4/5's of a team's OL is a difficult thing to do. Doing it without an offseason or preseason is really hard. This is the main reason why I always expected a slow start this year. If they can get it together and start to play as a unit sooner rather than later, everything else on offense should start to fall into place a little better. 

Next up, the team needs Mims and Perine. 

9 minutes ago, victorjets said:

Sam Darnold played well considering what he was asked to do. He threw a ton of short passes that he executed for the most part, threw a TD that was dropped by Herndon, and threw a beautiful TD pass to Berrios in garbage time.

Alex Lewis is developing into a good guard and Becton looks like a player. McGovern and GVR have been disappointing. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, victorjets said:

Oh boy.... so here we go.  Half the Jets fans will say, "Whoa!  Darnold made lemonade out of lemons and is one of the only 3 or 4 good things on the team.  Build around him!"  The other half will say, "Run that PFF score in a commercial on MNF and dangle him as trade bait!  Trevor Lawrence would have gotten a grade of 95 with the same supporting cast and we would have beaten the 49ers yesterday."

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Sam Darnold played well considering what he was asked to do. He threw a ton of short passes that he executed for the most part, threw a TD that was dropped by Herndon, and threw a beautiful TD pass to Berrios in garbage time.

Alex Lewis is developing into a good guard and Becton looks like a player. McGovern and GVR have been disappointing. 

The Fant signing has been mostly a bust btw

the pressure that was coming on Sam was over that RT spot 

as for Sam Darnold "playing well" he had less than 100 yards passing going into the 4th quarter

if this is him doing what Gase asked him to do then he needs to stop listening to Gase before he puts both of them out of a job 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1