Why were some of you so ready to panic?

Y3k

It’s because he’s in year 3 and is still making rookie mistakes.  Also, we all know the coaching staff isn’t equipped or good enough to develop him properly.  There’s no weapons for him and time is running out on his rookie deal.  Sure, he’s shown glimpses.  But that doesn’t cut it in the NFL.  He needs to turn it around ASAP.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He needs to be great for sixteen games this year or we’re shopping for a new QB in January. He just absolutely sucked for the first of those 16. 

Floor Sanchez, Ceiling Romo. When I expressed that opinion at the draft I was a "SOJF pessimist." Since I still hold that opinion, do I get my Optimistic Jets Fan merit badge now?

I said before and ill say it again .,.. I am giving Darnold a full 16 games this year ... Here is what he needs to do.

1. Command the Offense : He cannot appear or be unsure.
  2. Show poise under pressure
  3. Display good decision making : Throwing to the deepest open receiver.  Note i did not say first available open receiver.
  4. Employ improved mechanics and show velocity on some throws.
  5. Accomplish at least 2-3 4th quarter comebacks. I want to see him rally the team to victories.
  6. Hold guys accountable : I wan him in the face of guys making bonehead errors. You cannot always be mister softy.
  7. Make adjustments at the line of scrimmage ... if Gase calls a sh*tty ass play .. audible out of it.
  8. 2-1 TD/Int ratio.

I want th epressure to be on the D because of Darnold ... not on our O. How often did teams fear Brady as a Pat ?

That is all. I could give two sh*ts about winning games this year.

If he cannot do this in year three .. he will never be able to do this.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

His age is meaningless. If that were an issue he should have stayed in college another season. You are on the clock once you are drafted. 

That's irrational fan speak. Experience, coaching, and the team around you matters. 

• Upvote 1

People are freaking out because all we heard all off season was how much better Darnold is, how much more prepared he is going to be and how he's taken more control of the offense. Then we see that week 1. The sad reality we all need to accept is that our chances of drafting a QB just rose and is going to continue to rise unless Darnold can play better and that's a tough task given this schedule and our teams lack of play makers on either side of the ball. Noone on here, except for a few trolls want Darnold to be bad man but when he is you gotta call it how it is.   

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Y3k said:

That's irrational fan speak. Experience, coaching, and the team around you matters. 

The problem with this logic is that it is circular and never leads to accountability. QB performs poorly? "Bad supporting cast." Supporting cast performs poorly? "Bad QB."

QBs make their own weapons. Darnold elevates no one.

Darnold just doesn’t have the mojo... don’t know how else to explain it.

I feel like 60yo Brett Favre would show up on Sunday and accomplish more without reading a playbook.

Reminds me of when they fixated on Sanchez learning the offense in and out instead of just letting him play naturally with some mistakes.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I said before and ill say it again .,.. I am giving Darnold a full 16 games this year ... Here is what he needs to do.

1. Command the Offense : He cannot appear or be unsure.
  2. Show poise under pressure
  3. Display good decision making : Throwing to the deepest open receiver.  Note i did not say first available open receiver.
  4. Employ improved mechanics and show velocity on some throws.
  5. Accomplish at least 2-3 4th quarter comebacks. I want to see him rally the team to victories.
  6. Hold guys accountable : I wan him in the face of guys making bonehead errors. You cannot always be mister softy.
  7. Make adjustments at the line of scrimmage ... if Gase calls a sh*tty ass play .. audible out of it.
  8. 2-1 TD/Int ratio.

That is all. I could give two sh*ts about winning games this year.

If he cannot do this in year three .. he will never be able to do this.

This is a very good list. You seem to include it by implication, but I would add that he must become the "leader" of the offense. I am somewhat taken aback that I've never seen Darnold do or say anything as a pro that makes him even appear to be a leader. He looked like he was a leader when he was at USC --- his teammates seemed to gravitate to him. Perhaps his personal failures have made him not feel he is worthy of the mantle of leadership? I'm not really sure. But, someone, needs to take him aside and tell him that this is HIS team, and if he does not start acting like it is HIS team, it won't be his team for long.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He needs to be great for sixteen games this year or we’re shopping for a new QB in January. He just absolutely sucked for the first of those 16. 

Joe Flacco goes in, pulls a Nick Foles, and that's the end of Sam Darnold.

I don't see him getting 16 weeks to figure this out.  Not when we have an ex-Super Bowl MVP collecting dust on the sidelines.  Yeah, he's not great anymore, but he's a professional, he knows how to break a huddle after a TV timeout and how to throw the ball away to avoid a loss. 

Let me ask you, at 75% of his former self, does Joe Flacco win that game on Sunday?  I think he does.  Hell, Darnold almost won it playing like dogsh*t.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Name a few

So, Dak Prescott put up 30/11/65%/99+ rating last year and couldn’t get a long term deal and had to settle for one year at $36mm. Darnold hasn’t even sniffed that kind of production and certainly doesn’t look primed to do it this year. Are you paying him more than Dak if he can’t even produce Dak numbers? Because you’re not paying him $30+ because you think he might be better whenever the talent improves around him.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I have given Darnold every benefit of every doubt, from youth to mono to weapons, I've been extremely lenient.

What happened in Buffalo is alarming.  We're allowed to lose on the road to a playoff team.  We are not allowed to have a quarterback making high school mistakes like throwing across the middle while running to the sidelines, missing wide open receivers, running out of bounds and taking a loss instead of throwing the ball away, misreading blitzes, throwing underneath with no timeouts in a two minute drill, and daydreaming during a TV timeout.  That's not coaching, that's not personnel, that's just a sh*t quarterback.

Darnold saw ghosts on Sunday, and that wasn't Bill Belichick on the opposing sidelines.  It's Year 3.  Time to grow up and act like a professional.

SAR I

I think this is a somewhat fair and well articulated post. But l disagree with a few things. 

Missing receivers - yea I agree he was off. But this is not normal for Darnold, I don't see how this could be treated as anything other than he had a bad day. Hes typically and supremely accurate thrower... especially on the run. This is not a case of making "the same mistakes"

Missing wide open receivers... he missed crowder on a scramble. We are acting like this was happening the entire day. 

Throwing underneath with no TO. There was no other option there, took the gain to at least come home with some points. You wanted him to chuck it into the end zone off his back foot? 

Missreading blitzes.. I guess blitzes fail against every other QB in the NFL 100% of the time. He "miss read" ONE blitz... was thinking that an all out was coming and throwing to Hogan. The crowder TD was also an audible off a blitz.... 

Day dreaming during a time out. So you're making judgments off 2 seconds of camera time? Thats absurd. 

The pick was dumb. But I saw Brett Farve make mistakes like that his entire career. It doesn't make or break guys. We were down 21-0. It was third down, a defender was in his face (Couldn't have ran). Bad play, but the end of the world? It's been weeks since he made a mistake like that. The guy has clearly cut down the rate of the dumb picks... Why not see if we can limit those to say, 3 this year? Maybe then 2 next year? Then 1? Like is that really a hill to die on?

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think what the offense needed in the first quarter, when receivers were letting balls bounce off their facemasks and guys had their heads down walking off the field after another three and out, was for a QB to scream his head off about getting their sh*t together, and Darnold was doing his “whoa bro” bullsh*t and the team was lethargic. 

You're smarter than that 

It was week 1 and overreacting is what everyone does without fail, every single year.

That said, he was that bad.  It was concerning and the reactions are understandable.  Especially when the guy on the other side of the field isnt very good and ultimately the reason why the Bills are pretenders in the AFC and yet he looked 10x better in comparison to the kid we traded up for and passed on him to draft.  Totally justifiable when you put it all together.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree with the OP.  It's ridiculous to give up on Darnold at this point.  He's young and has already shown promise despite trying circumstances.   And let's not forget that we have, by far, the worst coaching staff in the division.

You may not agree, but after 27 starts, I wouldn't say the view that Darnold doesn't have "it" is "ridiculous."

• Sympathy 2

19 minutes ago, Y3k said:

If you don't see it I can't help you. 

See what exactly ? The bad mechanics ? The terrible Awareness ? Throwing across your body while rolling in the opposite direction ? Not seeing wide open WR's directly in front of you and running out of Bounds ? 

Hes goes up against San Fran this week one of the most pressure oriented defensive fronts in the NFL. Lets see how Sam handles that pressure. Or do we have to wait to play a terrible defense before Sam plays well ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1