Why were some of you so ready to panic?

Y3k

8 hours ago, Y3k said:

I'm talking specifically about Darnold here... just trying to understand WTF is going on. 

This is a young player, the youngest player start at QB 2 years ago, and still younger than the #1 pick in the draft this year.  He was also an inexperienced player, he played basically 1 season of high school football and less than 2 years at USC. He wasn't one of those groomed since birth QBs that attended 20k QB camps every year in high school. He's raw. 

I've been a Jets fan for a decent amount of time, im 35 now, have probably been watching the Jets every Sunday for 20+ years. I've suffered through dozens of QBs that I knew were dead on arrival. No special talent, no ability. Darnold is the only QB I've ever seen in a Jets uniform, other than Farve for a couple of weeks, that I thought has the potential to be really special.

Yes, he's been inconsistent, but he's put together many games that I haven't seen other QBs in this uniform put together before. Hes had long stretches of success to end each of his first two seasons. He improved in EVERY single category last year vs. his rookie year, even though we all know he had the worst OL any of us have ever seen, the worst group of receives in the NFL, a back up TE, and had freaking mono. Without Darnold last year this was the worst offense in NFL history, with Darnold they were a respectable unit, able to put up 30+ points a few times- unbelievable really. 

We all agree that Adam Gase is clueless, is not using Darnold to the best of his ability, and is potentially stunting faster growth. If we all agree on these things, why not WANT to give him as much opportunity as possible to see if he can survive this ******* mess? We are asking this kid to put a terrible team on his back and carry us, by himself. When he ****s up, he has Dowell Friggin Loggains to talk to. Lamar Jackson and Mahomes are great players, but they have incredible support systems around them. Its unbelievable. Every game, about half the plays I see are ones that you and I could make... they create systems around these players that lift them up. They build their confidence up, and then they let their talents take over. 

So it really saddens me to see a significant chunk of  you guys so ready to be out for blood. The kid struggles against the #1 pass D on a windy day and you're ready to crucify him. We need to be his support system until he either fails or succeeds. 

All of those things may be true. But the pick he threw on Sunday and running out of bounds for a 5 yard loss instead of throwing it into the 5th row were inexcusable. Those were the dictionary definition of rookie mistakes. He is in his third year.

If Josh Allen made that throw, or that decision to run out of bounds for a 5-yard loss/sack, we would be laughing saying that this guy is an absolute bust if he's still making those kinds of mistakes in year three.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

I have given Darnold every benefit of every doubt, from youth to mono to weapons, I've been extremely lenient.

What happened in Buffalo is alarming.  We're allowed to lose on the road to a playoff team.  We are not allowed to have a quarterback making high school mistakes like throwing across the middle while running to the sidelines, missing wide open receivers, running out of bounds and taking a loss instead of throwing the ball away, misreading blitzes, throwing underneath with no timeouts in a two minute drill, and daydreaming during a TV timeout.  That's not coaching, that's not personnel, that's just a sh*t quarterback.

Darnold saw ghosts on Sunday, and that wasn't Bill Belichick on the opposing sidelines.  It's Year 3.  Time to grow up and act like a professional.

SAR I

This sums it up perfectly, from one of the more optimistic posters on the board.

This wasn't a hard fought loss on the road to a good team. This was an awful performance full of rookie mistakes from a guy who looked like he didn't want to be there.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Biggs said:

Blake Bortles was fantastic compared to Sam.  He's basically relegated to be a back up for the rest of his career. 

You are probably right.  But he is our QB for the rest of the season.  I want to see him play welll and prove the doubters (including myself) wrong.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This sums it up perfectly, from one of the more optimistic posters on the board.

This wasn't a hard fought loss on the road to a good team. This was an awful performance full of rookie mistakes from a guy who looked like he didn't want to be there.

Keep in mind he's a Gase-first guy (or at least that's his sctick). 

He's throwing Darnold under the bus to protect Gase, and he's said as much since Sunday.  If you still agree with him, that's cool, but don't think there isn't an agenda behind his sudden total reversal on Darnold (who he described all off-season as amazing, great, just look at those last 8 games, best QB in the AFC, etc, etc, etc,).

Also, keep in mind he thinks Matt Leinart was the best QB ever coming out of college, and his second favorite QB is Mark Sanchez, whom he thinks was a HOF'er if only, if only.

I wouldn't take his QB views terribly seriously, personally.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He's throwing Darnold under the bus to protect Gase, and he's said as much since Sunday.  If you still agree with him, that's cool, but don't think there isn't an agenda behind his sudden total reversal on Darnold (who he described all off-season as amazing, great, just look at those last 8 games, etc, etc, etc,).

Also, keep in mind he thinks Matt Leinart was the best QB ever coming out of college, and his second favorite QB is Mark Sanchez, whom he thinks was a HOF'er if only, if only.

I can't speak to his larger schtick -- don't have time to pay attention to those sorts of things. But I think everything in hist post was accurate.

I've been a pretty big Darnold supporter myself -- that performance was alarming.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He's throwing Darnold under the bus to protect Gase, and he's said as much since Sunday.  If you still agree with him, that's cool, but don't think there isn't an agenda behind his sudden total reversal on Darnold (who he described all off-season as amazing, great, just look at those last 8 games, etc, etc, etc,).

Agreed.  And I would add that Adam Gase was brought in here to help the young QB develop.  Along with Mr. Gase's handpicked offensive coordinator.  If the young QB fails to develop, the QB takes some of the blame.  As does the HC and OC.  All 3 are in this together.

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You think SAR is one of the most optimistic posters on the board? lol how times have changed 

13 hours ago, TeddEY said:

If Sam Darnold were on an AFC rival, we'd be laughing our asses off at that team while hoping they signed him to a 35MM extension.

Josh Allen has had a better career thus far + was drafted after Dahnald and we laugh at the Bill's now 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I've been a pretty big Darnold supporter myself -- that performance was alarming.

Yes, but I don't think you were starting threads like this one all offseason:

It's Official - Sam Darnold Is The Best Quarterback In The AFC East
By SAR I, January 4 in New York Jets Message Board

From Best in AFC (or AFC East depending on day), to "not good enough to play for Gase" after one game.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacarter220 said:

All of those things may be true. But the pick he threw on Sunday and running out of bounds for a 5 yard loss instead of throwing it into the 5th row were inexcusable. Those were the dictionary definition of rookie mistakes. He is in his third year.

If Josh Allen made that throw, or that decision to run out of bounds for a 5-yard loss/sack, we would be laughing saying that this guy is an absolute bust if he's still making those kinds of mistakes in year three.

That’s a great point. He has regressed to literally making worse decisions that he made when he started. Like his brain has gone blank on how to play the position. Terribly sign in year three. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That’s a great point. He has regressed to literally making worse decisions that he made when he started. Like his brain has gone blank on how to play the position. Terribly sign in year three. 

Or maybe he had a really bad game. Did Tom Brady regress on Sunday too?

9 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I said before and ill say it again .,.. I am giving Darnold a full 16 games this year ... Here is what he needs to do.

1. Command the Offense : He cannot appear or be unsure.
  2. Show poise under pressure
  3. Display good decision making : Throwing to the deepest open receiver.  Note i did not say first available open receiver.
  4. Employ improved mechanics and show velocity on some throws.
  5. Accomplish at least 2-3 4th quarter comebacks. I want to see him rally the team to victories.
  6. Hold guys accountable : I wan him in the face of guys making bonehead errors. You cannot always be mister softy.
  7. Make adjustments at the line of scrimmage ... if Gase calls a sh*tty ass play .. audible out of it.
  8. 2-1 TD/Int ratio.

I want th epressure to be on the D because of Darnold ... not on our O. How often did teams fear Brady as a Pat ?

That is all. I could give two sh*ts about winning games this year.

If he cannot do this in year three .. he will never be able to do this.

Shame he couldn’t check off just one of those in week 1. 

• Sympathy 1

I posted this before he needs to be more consistent.  His mechanics at the end of his rookie year were better - and they were not great - than what we saw Sunday.  

my hope is that he will improve... we shall see BUT,  I suspect this week he will get  his ass kicked by the 49nrs D because this OL will not be able to handle the stunts and physicality.   Plus, the GP will be a repeat of pass AG s*** shows  as well as, PCing.    

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I just remembered the delay of game he took coming out of a TV timeout, too. How is that possible from a third-year NFL QB?

• Upvote 1

It's really quite simple. If you remove the emotional involvement with the team its not hard to see he doesn't pass the eye test. He doesn't elevate his team. 

Josh Allen does. As many mistakes as he makes he drives that offense and did in his first year with horrible cast. 

Lamar Jackson. Russel Wilson. Etc etc. Face it we got the wrong qb again

USC QBs should never be drafted high.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

It's really quite simple. If you remove the emotional involvement with the team its not hard to see he doesn't pass the eye test. He doesn't elevate his team. 

Josh Allen does. As many mistakes as he makes he drives that offense and did in his first year with horrible cast. 

I disagree with everything in this post 

26 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Josh Allen doesnt elevate squat.  That Bills roster carries that wannabe halfback

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You think Sam makes that same mistake with Sean McDermott or John Harbaugh as his head coach?

He may or may not. But at some point, the excuses have to end. Is Gase an absolutely horrible head coach? Of course. But at what point does Sam start taking some responsibility? It's year three now. Getting a delay of game coming out of a TV timeout, in a stadium with no fans?!?!? That's on Sam.

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I've said this a couple times now...     I think he may be in the midst of realzing he came out too early and cannot compete at a high level in the NFL.

he looked pretty ashamed at the presser

10 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

This is such an overreaction. 
16-39 150 yards 1 interception. That was Bradys #s last vs Bills in Buffalo. That’s a guy in the same system for 20 f*cking years! 
Sam needs to have a full compliment of weapons someday, JUST ONCE! 
He needs Mims back! He needs Herndon to get up to speed! He needs the Oline to mesh! 
It’s absolutely ridiculous that we can never have EVERYONE HEALTHY! 
Sam was going against a top 3 defense & Allen was facing a defense with no pass rush, I counted 9 seconds on his short TD pass. 
How long did Favre sit? Rogers? 
like others have said, Sams still younger than Burrows. 
I can’t believe under the circumstances Jet fans are ready to give up on him? 
Ridiculous! 

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, but I don't think you were starting threads like this one all offseason:

From Best in AFC (or AFC East depending on day), to "not good enough to play for Gase" after one game.

sar is clearly not of sound mind....

the qbs in 2018 class were evaluated in inverse relationship to their ability to play qb in the nfl....

What you say about those plays being "inexcusable" is true. However, i see QB's make "inexcusable" plays all the time - and thier teams still win. Allen missed a wide open receiver in the end zone during the game. He had a couple of bone-headed fumbles against the Jets. I also saw him have an "inexcusable" fumble during the playoffs last year.

Is Darnold prone to make more "inexcusable" plays than others? Perhaps I would agree with that assessment. However, those inexcusable plays are rarely the difference between wins and losses. If Darnold doesn't have those rookie mistakes, do the Jets win this game? Hardly.

I will stand by my statement that unless the Jets had nearly perfect QB play on Sunday they would have lost that game. They lost by 10 points and the fact that they didn't lose by 17, 20, or more points is a blessing - and had more to do with errors on the Bills side than anything the Jets did.

The defense sucked and couldn't get off the field. The receivers dropped balls in the first half forcing the Jets to punt. The OL in my opinion did Darnold no favors. He rarely (not never) had a clean pocket. If you looked at what Darnold had to endure in relation to Allen's adversity during the game it was no contest.

Did Darnold miss some throws? Yes. Did he make a few boneheaded decisions? Yes. However, the hysteria over his performance vs. the rest of the team's crappy play is overblown in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G975U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Did Darnold miss some throws? Yes. Did he make a few boneheaded decisions? Yes. However, the hysteria over his performance vs. the rest of the team's crappy play is overblown in my opinion.

Has he been doing this stuff his whole career?  Yes.  Should it be concerning that his dumb plays and bad games are piling up?  Yes.  Is the whole "ask a question and answer it yourself" shtick played out?  Also yes.

• Haha 1

Our wide receiver situation is horrible. I know that Darnold played like a she’ll chocked rookie last week but his surrounding cast is below average. I believe that his performance or lack there of has more to do with a lack of confidence than anything else. He seemed jittery. Maybe playing all last year behind an awful o- line has messed with his mechanics. This year’s line is better but he isn’t trusting them yet. Just give him some weapons and see what’s happen. Am not ready to throw him under the bus yet.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app