Is Darnold, Matt Stafford 2.0

More Cowbell

I have been a big Darnold supporter and I still am. I believe he will be a FQB for this team but I have been thinking, we might be looking at a Matt Stafford situation where we have a very talented QB that just doesn't have what it takes to pull the team up. Now Stafford did ave Megatron and now has Gallowday and Sam has not had anyone that approaches the talent level so it is difficult to make a fair comparison but I was wondering what the rest of you think. Are we in a position like Detroit where we have a QB that should be able to lead this team higher but just doesn't. 

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

This is a funny topic because I was thinking about what teams might potentially trade for Sam if we ended up drafting Trevor Lawrence, and replacing Stafford in Detroit was the best fit I came up with due to mechanics and demeanor. 

We’ll trade him to the Bucs for a middle round pick and Arians will make him a star

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm going to put this out as a general rebuttal to all the glowing Stafford stats being put out here. 

No playoff wins, no SB appearances. If Sam becomes better than Stafford stat wise and we have the same kind of post season success, I will consider him a disaster. We aren't playing fantasy football here. 

Never won a playoff game and had the greatest WR not named Jerry Rice to throw to almost his entire career 

Oh and Stafford got outplayed at home by Mitch Trubisky yesterday

14 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Irrelevant. If you're going to invite the comparison you better be prepared to compare their production. What else is there to compare? Haircuts?

No, comparisons that prove their point are OK. Comparisons that don't are explained away as not being related to the compared players but rather are due to "coaching," "supporting cast," or the phases of the moon during game time.

Matt Stafford btw has the type of natural arm strength that he can throw a football through a piece of plywood 

darnold's arm is OK but they are not in the same neighborhood in terms of velocity 

Stafford is closer to Favre or Allen he's got a rare arm could have made millions as a pitcher in MLB probably 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Matt Stafford btw has the type of natural arm strength that he can throw a football through a piece of plywood 

darnold's arm is OK but they are not in the same neighborhood in terms of velocity 

Stafford is closer to Favre or Allen he's got a rare arm could have made millions as a pitcher in MLB probably 

Darnold has elite arm talent, don't take it from me, take it from the haters

3 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Darnold has elite arm talent, don't take it from me, take it from the haters

this tweet is from last november btw

Look at the game vs Buffalo this week it doesn't exactly scream "rare arm talent" 

certainly not in the Matt Stafford category

i never said Stafford was super accurate by the way 

that was supposed to be Darnold's thing 

In his 3rd season (second full year as a starter), Matt Stafford threw 41TDs (16 picks) and 5,000+ yards and a QB rating of 97.  I would love to see Darnold with numbers like that.

In fairness, that was also Stafford's best season, and he has not come close to producing those numbers again.  Byt at this stage of his career, Darnold has some catching up to do to be considered in a similar category to Stafford.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this tweet is from last november btw

Look at the game vs Buffalo this week it doesn't exactly scream "rare arm talent" 

certainly not in the Matt Stafford category

i never said Stafford was super accurate by the way 

that was supposed to be Darnold's thing 

You think his arm got weaker since november? 

I didnt see a single throw missed because of arm strength. 

Darnold was unusually inaccurate. 

What is your motivation for spreading negative false naratives?

34 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

This is a funny topic because I was thinking about what teams might potentially trade for Sam if we ended up drafting Trevor Lawrence, and replacing Stafford in Detroit was the best fit I came up with due to mechanics and demeanor. 

Belichick will figure out how to get Sam if we give up on him too early.

Just now, Y3k said:

You think his arm got weaker since november? 

I didnt see a single throw missed because of arm strength. 

Darnold was unusually inaccurate. 

What is your motivation for spreading negative false naratives?

Equating Darnold's with Stafford's arm strength is a very uninformed opinion.