Becton top 5 Performing Rookie, Week One

JetBlue

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

PFF gave Alex Lewis an elite grade against Buffalo. GVR graded out well as well. Not sure why they are saying Becton was the only lineman who wasn't a liability. 

I was most disappointed in GVR. He looked no better than Winters, turned around backwards multiple times.

23 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I like how a few days before the draft people were calling him the most likely to bust. Many here including myself wanted Thomas or Wirfs over Becton. He looks better than both so far.

I'm glad we didn't get Thomas, he was brutal on monday night, looked like a revolving door that Bud Dupree had his way with. 

14 hours ago, JetBlue said:

5. T MEKHI BECTON, NEW YORK JETS

Becton was the only Jets offensive lineman who wasn't a liability on Sunday. He was a people-mover in the run game and made several impressive blocks, which helped him to a 77.4 run-blocking grade for the game.

However, it was Becton's pass protection that was perhaps the biggest surprise of the week. We were worried about how he would fare on NFL true pass sets after seeing very few of those reps at Louisville, but he ended up earning the third-highest grade on true pass sets on Sunday. All told, he allowed just two pressures from 41 pass-blocking snaps and ended the game with a 77.2 overall grade, the 11th-best grade of the week.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rookie-rankings-highest-graded-rookies-through-week-1-2020

It's only one week but maybe actually got this pick right.   

Cool.

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

PFF gave Alex Lewis an elite grade against Buffalo. GVR graded out well as well. Not sure why they are saying Becton was the only lineman who wasn't a liability. 

if you notice it was about "rookie" performance, not specifically lineman either, but all positions. 

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Not sure how this thread about our awesome new LT turned into a sh*t fest on another player entirely. There are literally an infinite amount of threads that can be started.

Actually the thread was about how good Becton looked and also how another rookie looked better than our second year player at a similar position.   

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

I like how a few days before the draft people were calling him the most likely to bust. Many here including myself wanted Thomas or Wirfs over Becton. He looks better than both so far.

You can be the most likely to bust but also have the highest upside. I think everyone acknowledged the sky was the limit with Becton.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JetBlue said:

We were worried about how he would fare on NFL true pass sets after seeing very few of those reps at Louisville, but he ended up earning the third-highest grade on true pass sets on Sunday.

This was absolutely the biggest concern with Becton coming out of college.  His weight was the second thing.  But make no mistake, a lack of college film that showed how he performs in NFL-style passing protection was a concern amongst scouts and probably the only thing that allowed him to slip outside the Top 10.  Had he showed the kind of awareness, mirroring, etc. that he showed on Sunday while pass blocking I think it's very likely he would have gone Top 5.

14 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

The GM is proving to know his sh*t.  It's the coach using his players that sucks.

Very likely.   But even going 1 for 2 on GM and HC would be a huge improvement for the Jets.

We can easily swap a coach at some point.  Turning over an entire roster takes 2-3 years minimum.  If Joe D is the right guy then that bodes very well for the next 5-10 years.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Nixhead said:

No other rookie O lineman mentioned in the top 10.  Looks like the Jets are gonna hit a home run with The Big Ticket. Wish Gase knew how to take advantage of it. My bad I guess some Miami 4th rounder guard made the list. Must be nice to have a 4th rounder even contribute. 

I watched Andrew Thomas for the Giants Monday night (I was a big fan of him in the draft). He played ok but definitely lacked the athleticism,strength and movement skills displayed by Becton on Sunday.