Y3k

Darnold positives from Sunday

1 hour ago, Y3k said:

- I have to say, nothing is easy in this offense. Yes, “plays were there to be made” but they were all high degree of difficulty plays that required Sam to buy time and make accurate throws on the move. 

This is the biggest problem with this offense.  

5 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

They need to have more basic plays at least to start the game and some confidence/momentum and then mix in these other players later was there is a rhythm established. We are not good enough with a new Oline and the level of WRs we have to start out games with these intermediate i.e 15 yards or so complex crossing patterns that requires a serious amount of precision between the QB/WRs that we do not have right now. I sometimes wonder if the most on this forum can coach this Jets offense better than what we have seen the last 10 years. Heck I long for Brian S. who even though we didn't like him at OC he was better than anything I have seen in a decade and at least he was able to guide young QBs through the flames here against NFL defenses. Heck, he all made us think Sanchez was actually pretty good while Brian was running the O. 

This offense needs an early boost to get confidence and help the jets stay in the game.  Last year they had a fair amount of opening drive scores that changed the complexion of the game.  If gase can’t do this it’s yet another indictment on him.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I'm starting to wonder if JD is less sold on Darnold then we all think.  I mean looking at the evidence, he didn't draft Darnold, he hasn't exactly gone out of his way to give Darnold weapons in a really important year evaluation year, he drafted a QB in the 4th rd.  That's not to say JD is tanking for Trevor Lawrence but just maybe he's looking at this as a major evaluation year for Darnold as apposed to putting all the chips on the table this season to build around him (And Gase for that matter).  I'm assuming Darnold will be better than he was on Sunday but I'm starting to be of the belief that Darnold may really be playing for his job.

Jd hedged.  He took a job with a good prospect in darnold, but he also got a long contract.  And every gm gets to draft his own qb.  So from jd’s perspective, if darnold pans out, great, he’s got his qb and can build an offense around him.  If darnold doesn’t improve, well, the jets are destined to have a top 5 if not a top 3 or better pick this year, and he’s got 2 1st, a 2nd and 2 3rds as ammo to move up (not to mention 2 1sts in 2022) to get a qb.  I think jd’s preference is that darnold pans out, obviously, since that means the jets will be that much closer to contending.  But if we see a few more weeks of this, most here will be rooting for a full tank and getting Trevor, who looks to be a pure stud.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UnknownJetFan said:

Once we started at the end of the half we were doing fine and likely would have controlled the rest if the game had Herndon held the ball(controversial call). So, Sam was doing a lot of work on what amounted to 3 scoring drives and 2 TDs, which would have been 3 TD drives had the Bills defender not hurt Bell when he got that penalty since that throw would have been a TD, The one thing I hate about this sport is you do something illegal, get the penalty(which is just a 5yard 1st down penalty i.e big deal), and hurt a plyer that is ineffective or out the rest of the game and now on short term IR so we lose the guy for 4 games which included the game we were in. That should at least get that player ejected from the current game they are in.  

It would have been fun to see how the game unfolded if herndon didn’t do that.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like part of what’s missing in this “does Darnold suck?” conversation is the fact that Leveon Bell has had 251 carries as a Jets and has averaged 3.2 ypc, which is a problem for any offense, and QB 

The offense functioned better last year with Powell and i thought it was easy to see this.  Also the OL got no push last year, there are early signs that the push should be better now.  Unfortunately i don’t think we’re going to see a glimpse of the best offense until perine returns, and at least one of the speed wrs in v smith or mims.  The offense is simply too easy to defend with very little deep speed (perriman was a non factor vs bills) and no elusiveness at rb.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Darnold's performance in Buffalo was the first and only time I've doubted his qualifications as a franchise quarterback.

I am still a believer, but I am stunned about how unprepared he was considering:

1.  The 1-7 start from last year and consuming himself to avoid that same disaster.

2.  The 6-2 finish and how that should have left him supremely confident.

3.  Covid which, while tragic, allowed him to have 3+ months of quarantined specialized training time with his personal quarterback coach.

4.  A full year in the same playbook with 100% of the coaching staff returning.

5.  5 weeks of live training camp and no preseason games which should have left him fresh and feeling great.

6.  Better OL, better RB's, better WR's than he had at any time during last year's injury-riddled campaign.

7.  The media trying to humiliate him and his teammates at every opportunity since May.

You add all that up, Darnold should have come out like a man possessed on Sunday.  He should have been in total control, he should have had that eye of the tiger, he should have been screaming at teammates on the sidelines, he shouldn't have taken a loss instead of an incompletion, he shouldn't have been daydreaming during a TV timeout, he wasn't exactly facing Bill Belichick's ghosts.  In other words, he should have looked like a grown up professional in complete command and not a timid boy making Pop Warner mistakes.

SAR I 

I’d like to chalk this up to nerves and how he’s wanted revenge on the Bills from the opening day game last year when he knew he wasn’t healthy.  At some point the big boy qbs step it up and get over the hump, while others languish in this one up one down thing and can’t really get into the top half of ranked qbs.

• Upvote 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company