Christopher Johnson addresses the media...

BROOKLYN JET

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's the key right there.

I think if we're being honest and see the Jets the way the league sees the Jets, we will never attract top talent at GM and HC and in the FA market unless we stop all the "dysfunction" that has become our reputation.

If you know you're in for a very tough 3-5 year rebuild, you hire the best candidates you can to flush out the old culture, bad contracts, and bad players, and you stick to your guns, you stick to the new front office and new sidelines that you've built because you know you are in for some dark times for a few years.

And if you flip head coaches again, and if you knee-jerk overreact to media and fan pressure again, and if you don't change your ways as an owner and buy-in to a master plan that you yourself have created, then you are right back to square one again.  Settling for the HC that isn't even a coordinator and the other 9 teams passed on.  Settling for the GM whose claim to fame was ordering toilet paper for the Seattle Seahawks or recommended by a headhunter.  Jumping on big name players who take $20M and suddenly call in sick, lawyer-up, and force their way out of town.

Christopher Johnson is trying to do it right this time and that's why I'm behind it 100% percent.  It just may work this time.  Gase and Douglas aren't going anywhere.  They are here for years.  If there are JN members who find that thought repulsive, suggest they find another team to root for for awhile.  If you don't have the stomach for CJ's master plan any longer, its completely understandable.

SAR I

Sar is Chris Johnson. It all makes sense!!

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's worthwhile noting that Bills fans wanted to fire HC Sean McDermott after his second season when they went 6-10.  

That is simply not true. 

The man ended the Bills playoff drought in his first year of a rebuild after losing several good players from the previous regime.

I'm not sure what Bills fans you know, but anyone who wanted him fired should be ignored.

• Upvote 1

An out and out disgrace and the fact the owner is talking to the media speaks volumes about the state of the Jets. Johnson’s words are pathetic! He’s too cheap to fire the moron HC and hire a legit coach. He is lucky the stadium is fanless because it would reflect the disgust fans have over him and especially the loser HC on the sidelines. If he had any guts, then he would fire Gase and tell Douglas to find the right guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Why isn’t Douglas doing this? Zero chain of command. Mess as usual.

This was my first thought. When the hell are the johnsons going to get their noses out of the football operations?
I can see JD tiring of the meddling at some point.
Like does JD have to ask CJ if he can do some things such as fire the coach?

I hate it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Sar is Chris Johnson. It all makes sense!!

No, just that most of you are foolish, impatient children looking for the quick fix and then demanding the new guy get fired after 4 games. 

The Jets problem isn’t anyone in Florham Park.  It’s you.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This was my first thought. When the hell are the johnsons going to get their noses out of the football operations?

If Christopher is silent, you call him aloof.  If Christopher speaks up, you call him meddling.  Fans create this lose lose scenario to support their preconceived bias. 

I can see JD tiring of the meddling at some point.
Like does JD have to ask CJ if he can do some things such as fire the coach

I can see JD appreciating an owner who keeps the heat and the tough questions off of the rookie GM and deliberately puts it on himself.  Most owners wouldn’t say a word for months and then show up at a press with a pink slip looking like a fan hero. 

I’m tired of seeing this on all your posts. Please delete it. 

SAR I

6 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I mean I don’t think CJ said anything wrong, but why do this now? After week 1? This is something that’s done later in the season no? Weird...

It’s very strange. It could be as simple as it being a scenario where CJ caught wind of the negativity surrounding his this week and felt the need to publicly support/endorse. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't profess to understand human psyche and behavior, or why people sometimes do what they do.  But, CJ seems like a decent human being and an honorable man.  He also stepped into a situation where his brother, the primary owner of the team, had just left the country and handed him the ownership keys to the franchise.  It likely wasn't an easy move to undo what his brother, who had hired so-called "experts" like Charlie Casserly, etc. to assist, had done in terms of executing a search to get Maccagnan and Bowles.

CJ was late on the decision to fire Macc and he has now admitted as much.  My guess is that he held on a little too long because he didn't want to completely sh!t on the time, the process and the decision-making that his brother had recently completed.  It's unfortunate but it's understandable.

It's also inexcusable.

He let the guy draft and sign free agents as a dead man walking. That's management malpractice.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Owning the Jets is a cute little asterisk next to their name for the Johnson's to boast about on their Yacht when they're hosting cocktail parties. At the end of the day, this entire ownership group could care less about winning and what's on the field. The books are in the black ....because owning a NFL franchise is a license to print money. I've said it for years. Show me the last NFL franchise to bleed money?

The culture within the organization starts from the top and the culture has been all about apathy through both the Hess and Johnson Administrations. Terrible financial decisions + Terrible personnel decisions = The product on the field. The product on the field has been garbage for a majority of the Hess and Johnson year and it will never change.

Have to agree with this. 

I don't think they give a f*ck.

I'll re-post what i wrote earlier about good owners and bad owners:

You have 2 different types of owners in the NFL:

1. Owners who live and breathe the franchise, and are involved in every aspect of it. Much in the same way that a committed entrepreneur would familiarize himself with all the different aspects of his business. They build and maintain strong relationships with competent people, without letting ego get in the way (too often). They don't think highly of themselves for owning the franchise, they see it as their future. they work hard to maintain and improve their team's brand value and on-field product. They celebrate wins, lament losses and enjoy the game. I can imagine somebody like kraft or jerry jones taking out the trash as they leave the facility. Examples: kraft, kroenke, blank, even jerry jones. 

2. Owners who use the franchise to enhance their personal reputation in social circles and burn money. For these guys, results are secondary. Involvement is minimal, decision-making is less strategic and more political; primarily aimed at 'maintaining order'. These owners, not surprisingly, see more turnover and fail to create strong bonds with competent people. They often work through others, and disassociate from poor results. They have very little respect for the game or the fans. I cannot imagine a person like woody johnson discussing football in any great detail, does he even know his players names? Examples: snyder, spanos, brown, and our own woody johnson. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, y2k8 said:

It's also inexcusable.

He let the guy draft and sign free agents as a dead man walking. That's management malpractice.

Remember when those of us who pointed this out at the time were told that this was actually the perfect time to axe a GM? 

4 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

I'm about to be 46, I've been a fan since my Dad got me a Richard Todd jersey which I wore in my 1st grade class photo.

In that time, the same consistent element of this organization is the ownership and their true lack of care in what the organization puts on the field. I would go so far to say that Sonny Werblin and the Werblin group were the last set of owners to make a concerted effort to win. Hess could have cared less. The Johnson's could care less. Every year their books are in the black and no matter the disaster, every year the fans, the season tickets, the advertising, and the PSLs come back.

Owning the Jets is a cute little asterisk next to their name for the Johnson's to boast about on their Yacht when they're hosting cocktail parties. At the end of the day, this entire ownership group could care less about winning and what's on the field. The books are in the black ....because owning a NFL franchise is a license to print money. I've said it for years. Show me the last NFL franchise to bleed money?

The culture within the organization starts from the top and the culture has been all about apathy through both the Hess and Johnson Administrations. Terrible financial decisions + Terrible personnel decisions = The product on the field. The product on the field has been garbage for a majority of the Hess and Johnson year and it will never change.

Johnsons figured out long ago easier to make money in this business with a cheap loser than an expensive winner.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

If Christopher is silent, you call him aloof.  If Christopher speaks up, you call him meddling.  Fans create this lose lose scenario to support their preconceived bias. 

I can see JD appreciating an owner who keeps the heat and the tough questions off of the rookie GM and deliberately puts it on himself.  Most owners wouldn’t say a word for months and then show up at a press with a pink slip looking like a fan hero. 

I’m tired of seeing this on all your posts. Please delete it. 

SAR I

Chris doesn't need to say anything.  JD is one of 32 NFL team GM's.  He doesn't need the owner covering his ass.  It makes him look like a tool.   Chris decided to separate the GM from the HC.   Looking at who the Jets owner has hired in the past to build the team, you would have to say he hasn't been good or lucky.  While you may appreciate him, I see a flailing ownership that hasn't gotten results continually setting up the football operation to fail.

I'm willing to give Gase a chance because I think the roster sucks and Sam may not have had the football background or mental makeup to be thrown into the fire by either Bowles or Gase?  Hard to tell we need more games.  Sam did sh*t the bed on opening day.  It's one game.  Regardless Gase's future with the Jets is tied at the hip to Sam's play this year and maybe next.  They may both be gone at the end of this year.  That would be an indictment of Johnson.  Allowing an idiot to draft Sam based on future development and allowing two HC that he hired directly to throw him in the fire when he wasn't ready and/or they couldn't get him ready, is not a good look.

Johnson allowed Mac to pick the groceries and I have no doubt Douglas wouldn't be here without Gase.  It's pretty hard to see how Johnson isn't responsible for the current state of the Jets.  It's also pretty obvious that Douglas probably can't fire Gase.  

Regardless of whether you appreciate Johnson or not.  He owns the current state of the Jets.  

I do appreciate our mutual dilemma.   We believe in Sam and Gase.  Others don't believe in Gase but believe in Sam.  Others don't believe in either of them.  Johnsons patience or lack of patience won't make anyone right or wrong.  Either the team improves and Sam steps up or they don't.  Nothing wrong with eating a little crow.  Eventually everyone does.  

I can't get mad at anyone who disagrees about Gase, Sam or Johnson.  It either gets better or it doesn't. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Chris doesn't need to say anything.  JD is one of 32 NFL team GM's.  He doesn't need the owner covering his ass.  It makes him look like a tool.   Chris decided to separate the GM from the HC.   Looking at who the Jets owner has hired in the past to build the team, you would have to say he hasn't been good or lucky.  While you may appreciate him, I see a flailing ownership that hasn't gotten results continually setting up the football operation to fail.

I'm willing to give Gase a chance because I think the roster sucks and Sam may not have had the football background or mental makeup to be thrown into the fire by either Bowles or Gase?  Hard to tell we need more games.  Sam did sh*t the bed on opening day.  It's one game.  Regardless Gase's future with the Jets is tied at the hip to Sam's play this year and maybe next.  They may both be gone at the end of this year.  That would be an indictment of Johnson.  Allowing an idiot to draft Sam based on future development and allowing two HC that he hired directly to throw him in the fire when he wasn't ready and/or they couldn't get him ready, is not a good look.

Johnson allowed Mac to pick the groceries and I have no doubt Douglas wouldn't be here without Gase.  It's pretty hard to see how Johnson isn't responsible for the current state of the Jets.  It's also pretty obvious that Douglas probably can't fire Gase.  

Regardless of whether you appreciate Johnson or not.  He owns the current state of the Jets.  

I do appreciate our mutual dilemma.   We believe in Sam and Gase.  Others don't believe in Gase but believe in Sam.  Others don't believe in either of them.  Johnsons patience or lack of patience won't make anyone right or wrong.  Either the team improves and Sam steps up or they don't.  Nothing wrong with eating a little crow.  Eventually everyone does.  

I can't get mad at anyone who disagrees about Gase, Sam or Johnson.  It either gets better or it doesn't. 

He admitted he should have fired McCagnan, but in addition to allowing him to run the draft/free agency he also allowed him to run the coaching search. Gase was recommended to CJ by a guy who had proven over the years to be incompetent. 

I don’t believe in either coach and QB anymore, but my blame for the QBs failure points directly at the organization. I firmly believe is Sam was drafted into a different situation (Denver for example) he would have been successful. 

• Upvote 1

It is very apparent that despite the show of confidence, CJ intends to fire Gase if the Jets do not see real progress this season.

“I’m going to want to see this team progress,” Johnson said. “Hopefully, that won’t be too hard from that first game, but I’m looking for real progression over this season. I’m confident that we’ll see that.“

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

He admitted he should have fired McCagnan, but in addition to allowing him to run the draft/free agency he also allowed him to run the coaching search. Gase was recommended to CJ by a guy who had proven over the years to be incompetent. 

I don’t believe in either coach and QB anymore, but my blame for the QBs failure points directly at the organization. I firmly believe is Sam was drafted into a different situation (Denver for example) he would have been successful. 

I can't argue the point.  The reality is Sam was a very raw immature kid who was thrown into the fire by Mac and Bowles.  He was put into a new system with a new coach and is still a raw immature kid.  I can't argue that the Jets haven't ruined him.  That also doesn't mean Sam was ever going to get it.  Lots of hugely talented guys don't make it at the NFL level particularly QB's.  

It's also one game and it's not a normal season.  Things can get better.  They can also get worse.  It's going to play out.  

23 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

It is very apparent that despite the show of confidence, CJ intends to fire Gase if the Jets do not see real progress this season.

“I’m going to want to see this team progress,” Johnson said. “Hopefully, that won’t be too hard from that first game, but I’m looking for real progression over this season. I’m confident that we’ll see that.“

I do think you're right. It's not specifically about wins and losses but it is related.

If the injuries pile, the team is giving effort in every game and look like they at least know what they are doing... Gase will survive.

If the team looks like it did Sunday, where Sam Darnold looks inept, and the team looks directionless in penalty filled games, Gase will be fired.

If they continue to struggle Gase at least needs to be able to string some wins together towards the end of the season.

What blew me away was Chris Johnson's statement that there was enough talent on this team to win. That is the single disconnect in logic and it's not just Johnson touting that line, Joe Douglas has implied as much when he said the team was angry about the low expectations this season.

17 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I still think this quote is the topline takeaway from that interview. It acknowledges the root cause of where the team is right now, and also signals a change in philosophy about hanging on to dead weight for too long out of a misplaced sense of loyalty. Really, an amazing admission by him.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I do think you're right. It's not specifically about wins and losses but it is related.

If the injuries pile, the team is giving effort in every game and look like they at least know what they are doing... Gase will survive.

If the team looks like it did Sunday, where Sam Darnold looks inept, and the team looks directionless in penalty filled games, Gase will be fired.

If they continue to struggle Gase at least needs to be able to string some wins together towards the end of the season.

What blew me away was Chris Johnson's statement that there was enough talent on this team to win. That is the single disconnect in logic and it's not just Johnson touting that line, Joe Douglas has implied as much when he said the team was angry about the low expectations this season.

If you compare the Jets roster to the rest of the league it’s hard to argue it’s not bottom 3-5. That said there is a fine line in the NFL between the best teams and worst teams. On most days even the worst team in the NFL should be competitive. It’s incredibly alarming that any team would put forth a performance in week 1 that the Jets did. 

This is the NFL! Teams aren’t supposed to be down 21-0 in a blink of an eye. For a while there it looked like Ohio State was playing Rutgers. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Half the roster being hurt tells you about any chance of progress. The entire rookie class has done nothing besides Becton. Most haven’t even practiced. This isn’t progress- this is getting worse.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I still think this quote is the topline takeaway from that interview. It acknowledges the root cause of where the team is right now, and also signals a change in philosophy about hanging on to dead weight for too long out of a misplaced sense of loyalty. Really, an amazing admission by him.

He not only hired the HC and GM separately, he set the parameters of their employment with contracts.  Its way more than a sense of loyalty.  It goes directly to his competency and judgement in the hiring process.  

If the guy lacks competency and judgement when hiring people to run the team, adding impatience to the mix won't solve the issue. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He not only hired the HC and GM separately, he set the parameters of their employment with contracts.  Its way more than a sense of loyalty.  It goes directly to his competency and judgement in the hiring process.  

If the guy lacks competency and judgement when hiring people to run the team, adding impatience to the mix won't solve the issue. 

Purportedly, Gase is the one who pulled Douglas in from Philly, and they worked together with the Bears. This isn’t a Charlie Casserly or Korn Ferry situation where they had an outside entity staple two losers together to fulfill a contract. Gase showed CJ how dysfunctional and bad Maccagnan was, and Johnson saw the light. We can hate Gase on the field, but he’s the one who rubbed the owner’s nose in his own sh*t and set the org on a brighter path. The team isn’t good right now, but it’d be the Lusitania without Gase. At least there’s a plan in effect and the owner is letting them execute it

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1