Draft Capital invested in QB position since 2009

GreekJet

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

It said better than Logan Mankins.  Why don't you quote the thing? 

It quoted the player he was being compared to, I pasted "Walter Football had this Player Comparison: Logan Mankins. "  I copied and pasted it.  Word for word.  Was it not the player comparisson?

Dont get your balls trend in a knot, its not that big of a big deal.  

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

This I disagree with.  Quenton Nelson was considered, ignoring his position, the best player in the entire Draft.  Very easy to scout and difficult to find many things he had to work on.  Plug and play OG

Yes, but the comment by bit was he was the chalk pick if we stayed at 6.  I said not over QB.  No one was talking a G over a QB.  

Of course it gets blown out for something more.  Funny we shouldnt have taken the best player in the draft, twice when it was a DT or a S, but with the G we didnt take, yes 

I love after the draft debates, lol

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, GreekJet said:

2009-1st and 2nd round pick (Sanchez)

2011- 7th round pick (McElroy)

2012-4th round pick (Tebow)

2013-2nd round pick (Geno)

2014-7th round pick (Boyd)

2016-2nd round pick (Hackenberg)

2018-1st and (2) 2nd round picks (Darnold)

2019-2nd round pick (Darnold)

2020-4th round pick (Morgan)

And you want to know why this roster is in terrible shape? Last five years alone the Jets have spent the 6th overall pick, (4) seconds, and a fourth on Sam Darnold, Christian Hackenberg, and James Morgan. 

They haven’t spent enough, actually. Keep drafting them every freaking year until you hit. We will just have to live with the risk of having two good ones on the team at the same time—YEAH RIGHT!!!!

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sam has prototypical hight at just under 6' 4"..  He has an arm that puts him in the top 15%.  Sam can make any throw.  Sam can throw on the run.  

Her was the top QB prospect for a reason.  If you dont understand the position, just stop.  

What the is your point?  There was no consensus #1 pick.  The Browns, with Dorsey and McCloughan were very much linked to Allen and then Mayfield.  Darnold's arm isn't in the top 15% unless Bridgewater really degraded the pool.  I'm not arguing Darnold wasn't a top prospect, but the idea that he was some kind of unanimous #1 overall is over the moon wrong.  That was a projection after his 2016 season.  He didn't blow up.  You know who everybody was touting as a super pick the year before he came out?  Connor Cook.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the is your point?  There was no consensus #1 pick.  The Browns, with Dorsey and McCloughan were very much linked to Allen and then Mayfield.  Darnold's arm isn't in the top 15% unless Bridgewater really degraded the pool.  I'm not arguing Darnold wasn't a top prospect, but the idea that he was some kind of unanimous #1 overall is over the moon wrong.  That was a projection after his 2016 season.  He didn't blow up.  You know who everybody was touting as a super pick the year before he came out?  Connor Cook.

Bit said that Nelson was the consensus pick if we didnt move up in the draft, I said not over a QB and it needs to be explained?  Thats the point.  I'm not arguing the rest, I've heard college broadcasts where they talked about him having a top NFL arm, I've heard a Tiki Barber rave about his elite arm talent, I've heard the same from Romo.  It makes no difference there isnt a throw he cant make.  

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Bit said that Nelson was the consensus pick if we didnt move up in the draft, I said not over a QB and it needs to be explained?  Thats the point.  I'm not arguing the rest, I've heard college broadcasts where they talked about him having a top NFL arm, I've heard a Tiki Barber rave about his elite arm talent, I've heard the same from Romo.  It makes no difference there isnt a throw he cant make.  

Nelson went before 2 of the 3 guys you are talking about.  The very sites you are quoting had him top 5.  He went 6.  That's not consensus? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Every time I look at darnold I see Quenton Nelson and 3 2nd Rd picks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Even if Darnold ends up being a bust, I still was very happy the Jets took a chance on him.  I still think that, in today's NFL, your best chance of winning a Superbowl is with a FQB.  It's pretty rare that they're available in free-agency so your best bet is to pick at the top of the draft.  It was worth trying and I hope we try again if Sam doesn't work out.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nelson went before 2 of the 3 guys you are talking about.  The very sites you are quoting had him top 5.  He went 6.  That's not consensus? 

Are you just not reading on purpose or in the mood to argue.  I said Nelson isn’t going before a G 

Argue away. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Are you just not reading on purpose or in the mood to argue.  I said Nelson isn’t going before a G 

Argue away. 

It is funny that you think this is so cut and dried in your favor.  Nelson isn't going to go before a QB?  He did.  He went before Allen, Rosen and Jackson.  Now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying?

I am happy enough the Jets took a swing on a QB.  Plenty of people had Allen rated higher than anybody.  He had the highest ceiling in the class.  I initially liked the idea of Rosen as pro ready, but the more that came out about his personality and attitude I ended up not wanting any part of him.  Neither Rosen or Darnold has a particularly convincing final year which is what pushed Mayfield ahead of them.

In a perfect world you get a franchise QB with 4 years of a rookie contract, already have a decent OL, not give up any draft picks to get him, and develop him right.

Mac HAD to draft a QB in 2017.  Everyone knew that.  He should have been building the team for that, signing FA OL long term and drafting them.  The team was not ready for Darnold, and then Mac drafted an old DL and other players that did not help him.  JD did better but not good enough.

The Jets will likely spend three years of Darnold being uncompetitive, and Darnold looks like he is being ruined.

So, as much as I actually like Darnold as a player and person, if I am JD and can draft a FQB, I am doing that and getting what I can for Darnold and wishing him the best.  In 2022 and beyond, that will make the Jets a contender-not paying Darnold $25mm on a fifth year option.

Sad, but true. 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you guys completely lose your memories?  J

I don't even understand the point of this.  Allen was quite often expected to go #1 overall.  Are you guys trying to say that Maccagnan would have been crazy to draft him over Rosen? 

You never did give me the brand name of that Kool Aid. 

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Every time I look at darnold I see Quenton Nelson and 3 2nd Rd picks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

I’d still take Sam

to the OP’s point- that’s why the Morgan pick really pissed me off. I’m fine with Flacco or Simian and want to stop throwing draft capital away of developmental guys. We SHOULD be done with this for the next 4 years 

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

You never did give me the brand name of that Kool Aid. 

ESPN/Mel Kiper

ESPN/Ian O'Connor/Peter King

dam Schefter said: "There was one personnel director who told me this week that you can put in the books, Josh Allen will be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft next year."

The Browns need a franchise quarterback, so Allen could be in play at picks No. 1 and No. 4.  The Giants could be a fit for Allen with the No. 2-overall pick.

I projected Allen to Cleveland in my previous mock and was lambasted for it. Now, it appears others are coming around that this is a possibility.

I don't see why this is even a ******* discussion and I don't know what Kool Aid drinking has to do with simply remembering the guy was considered likely to go #1 overall for most of the lead up to the 2018 draft.  I wasn't a huge fan, but that is what happened.  If you can't remember it, the internet can help.  There is this thing called google.  Truth be told, I was scared of all of them, but that is my nature..  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is funny that you think this is so cut and dried in your favor.  Nelson isn't going to go before a QB?  He did.  He went before Allen, Rosen and Jackson.  Now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying?

I am happy enough the Jets took a swing on a QB.  Plenty of people had Allen rated higher than anybody.  He had the highest ceiling in the class.  I initially liked the idea of Rosen as pro ready, but the more that came out about his personality and attitude I ended up not wanting any part of him.  Neither Rosen or Darnold has a particularly convincing final year which is what pushed Mayfield ahead of them.

Youre not going to even attempt to make the argument that a G would have been taken if the Jets didnt move out of the 6th spot are you?

And are you really trying to make the argument that because Nelson went before Rosen so therefore he would have went to the Jets before a Rosen or Jackson?  You really are spinning your wheels here.  The Jets wanted a QB, that Nelson went after the Jets moved up is irrelevant and a bad argument.  

Yes, it was cut and dried.  If the Jets stayed at 6 they were takin g a QB, they had to

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

ESPN/Mel Kiper

ESPN/Ian O'Connor/Peter King

dam Schefter said: "There was one personnel director who told me this week that you can put in the books, Josh Allen will be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft next year."

The Browns need a franchise quarterback, so Allen could be in play at picks No. 1 and No. 4.  The Giants could be a fit for Allen with the No. 2-overall pick.

I projected Allen to Cleveland in my previous mock and was lambasted for it. Now, it appears others are coming around that this is a possibility.

I don't see why this is even a ******* discussion and I don't know what Kool Aid drinking has to do with simply remembering the guy was considered likely to go #1 overall for most of the lead up to the 2018 draft.  I wasn't a huge fan, but that is what happened.  If you can't remember it, the internet can help.  There is this thing called google.  Truth be told, I was scared of all of them, but that is my nature..  

Oh, wait, Adam Schefter said one personnel directer told him that Allen would go 1?  So that throws the whole Allen was 3rd all along out the window.  Because you know, that one could be put in the books.  

Nothing better than disproving almost every ranking list or mock drafts for leaked inside info.  

Oh, wait, Adam Schefter said one personnel directer told him that Allen would go 1?  So that throws the whole Allen was 3rd all along out the window.  Because you know, that one could be put in the books.  

Nothing better than disproving almost every ranking list or mock drafts for leaked inside info.  

I have asked you this a few times, but what the **** are you even talking about?  

You said Nelson was not that hot a prospect.  I said he was.  Provided proof to back it up, some cited by you.  You and the other genius said that nobody had Allen over Rosen.  Many had Allen #1 overall.  I proved that, and you come up with some weird sh*t about disproving mock drafts?  Many had Allen #1.  That is all I said. 

Would the Jets have taken a G if they had sat at 6?  What the **** do I know?  If you asked me if they would take a S with Mahomes and Watson on the board in 2017 I'd have said that is impossible, yet they did it.  Nelson was certainly highly rated and the kind of high floor guy Maccgnan kept picking.  You said nobody would take a G over QB but the Colts took Nelson with Allen, Rosen and Jackson sitting there.  If they didn't want him they could have traded down.  The Cards and Bills both traded up.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have asked you this a few times, but what the **** are you even talking about?  

You said Nelson was not that hot a prospect.  I said he was.  Provided proof to back it up, some cited by you.  You and the other genius said that nobody had Allen over Rosen.  Many had Allen #1 overall.  I proved that, and you come up with some weird sh*t about disproving mock drafts?  Many had Allen #1.  That is all I said. 

Would the Jets have taken a G if they had sat at 6?  What the **** do I know?  If you asked me if they would take a S with Mahomes and Watson on the board in 2017 I'd have said that is impossible, yet they did it.  Nelson was certainly highly rated and the kind of high floor guy Maccgnan kept picking.  You said nobody would take a G over QB but the Colts took Nelson with Allen, Rosen and Jackson sitting there.  If they didn't want him they could have traded down.  The Cards and Bills both traded up.

You think cursing makes your statement?  No one of consequence had Allen over Darnold, I'm saying it again.  And I don't care that you think it.  You can take you're someone told Shefter or whoever that Allen would go first, and yes TAKE IT TO THE BANK and whatever other smokescreen they got Shefter to provide and believe it.  I hope you didn't put money on that take it to the bank promise.  

Of course the Colts didn't take a QB, they had Luck, didnt need a QB.  WTF does that have to do with me saying the Jets weren't taking a G at 6.  Is that your brilliant argument or is that the i just feel like arguing and think I just dropped a mike line?  The Colts line was pointless to what I said the first two times you said it and still is.  No shlt, the Colts aren't the Jets, I get that.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You think cursing makes your statement?  No one of consequence had Allen over Darnold, I'm saying it again.  And I don't care that you think it.  You can take you're someone told Shefter or whoever that Allen would go first, and yes TAKE IT TO THE BANK and whatever other smokescreen they got Shefter to provide and believe it.  I hope you didn't put money on that take it to the bank promise.  

Of course the Colts didn't take a QB, they had Luck, didnt need a QB.  WTF does that have to do with me saying the Jets weren't taking a G at 6.  Is that your brilliant argument or is that the i just feel like arguing and think I just dropped a mike line?  The Colts line was pointless to what I said the first two times you said it and still is.  No shlt, the Colts aren't the Jets, I get that.  

From everything I read the Jets had Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen as their top 3 QBs, and were comfortable drafting any of them third overall. Had they not made the trade up and stayed at 6 Darnold is likely a Bronco and Rosen is a Jet. 

There is zero chance the Jets weren’t coming away with a first round QB that night. 

• Upvote 2

From everything I read the Jets had Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen as their top 3 QBs, and were comfortable drafting any of them third overall. Had they not made the trade up and stayed at 6 Darnold is likely a Bronco and Rosen is a Jet. 

There is zero chance the Jets weren’t coming away with a first round QB that night. 

On April 26th, 2018 I would have been ecstatic if we got Rosen.

No one knows this, a guess at best.  I've also heard fans say it was Darnold, Rosen and Allen.  At another time it was Allen they wanted, then it was Rosen. 

But the one thing we all knew, every expert, every commentator, every article, YouTube video, every piece of media you can think of predicted, with confidence, the Jets were taking a QB.  NOT a G

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You literally stated that two things that happened would/could never happen. You also complain about my cursing.  Do you actually believe that *** is worse than WTF?  

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You literally stated that two things that happened would/could never happen. You also complain about my cursing.  Do you actually believe that *** is worse than WTF?  

Goi argue with someone else.  I know what I said, I said he wasn't a done deal at 6 if we were there.  I said he wasn't chalk over a QB and you gave me the Cots.  OK, brilliant. 'Argue away but you sound pretty silly at this point  

I added WTF for a reason.  Youre angry and ranting, bye

Goi argue with someone else.  I know what I said, I said he wasn't a done deal at 6 if we were there.  I said he wasn't chalk over a QB and you gave me the Cots.  OK, brilliant. 'Argue away but you sound pretty silly at this point  

I added WTF for a reason.  Youre angry and ranting, bye

You are a very amusing person.  I quoted you in all my posts, so maybe you should re-read what you said.  I can agree with many of the things you say.  I can't agree that you know what you said.  If you think I am angry and ranting, you really would hate to see me angry and ranting.  I am quite capable and this is not even close.