You can't fix 10 bad years in 1 year

Jetster

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You cannot fix everything in one off-season.

But you absolutely should make material incremental improvements each off-season.

We haven't.

The jury is still out, but I think JD did make incremental improvements to the roster this off season but that certainly didn't translate to the field for last week's game.  Time will tell if the right moves and draft picks were made.  Mac on the other hand, set this franchise back 10 years and that is what JD is trying to dig his way out of.  Trading Adams was an overt indicator to the fan base as to where the GM thinks this roster is at currently. Like it or not, we are now in year one of yet another rebuild, and if Darnold proves he's not a franchise QB this year, we are literally back to square 1 in 2021.  Let's hope JD has the chops to navigate this mess and pull it off.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, bitonti said:

that's not who he is, Robby either

for all their off the field antics, both played like every down all year 

33 missed 1 game in 2 years with an ankle sprain or whatever 

SunRa played 91% of offensive snaps last year 

meanwhile guys like CJ mosely get the big bucks 1 half of football in 2 years 

they should just pay the players they find 

At this point it's the Groucho Marx joke because the Jets can't pay anybody who wants their money right now. Everything aligned in favor of just taking the two years to sunset Maccagnan right away. Yes, the Johnsons are cheap. Yes, Douglas is primarily concerned with keeping the gig. I just don't see those things as having kept us from doing anything by now that wouldn't have just gotten us into a deeper hole for 2021 anyway.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's where we are! Name one draft pick starter who other teams fans can name? We don't have a TJ Watt, in fact we don't have a handful of players starting in this league that were available to us over the last 9 years. Right now everyone knows Sam Darnold for all the wrong reasons. Most fans outside of NY think of him as a bust, as are many Jet fans. Starting in 2015 we were all excited that the Redskins took Brandon Scherff & we were the benefiaries of having Leonard Williams drop in our laps. Well, Scherff is still in Washington & we know how it turned out for Williams here. In 2016 Chris Jones went 37th. We picked Darron Lee at #20. 

In 2017 we didn't even have a QB & we picked a safety at #6. A very good SAFETY mind you, but still a safety with Christian McCaffery, Deshaun Watson, Marshon Lattimore & Patrick Mahomes all going right after that choice. 

Then to get Darnold we had to trade away a boatload of picks. Then 2018 season we win one more game where our RB stumbles & trips into the endzone for a win that means nothing in Buffalo & instead of having stud pass rusher Nick Bosa we end up with Leonard Williams Part II in QW. The jury is still out but it's again not a promising pick to be a future HOFer. 

And here we are. 10 years later after our last great playoff win on the road in New England. It's all about the next 3 years really. Joe Douglas had 1 draft, so far its successful if only Becton becomes a stud (that's better than the last 9 drafts combined). We haven't been able to see Mims, Zuniga, Perine or Clark but Davis looks the part as a contributor. 

The Oline looks to be improved, tough sledding starting out facing a top 3 defense. But we all know the holes that need to be filled at CB, (Bless looked awesome by the way, that's great news), Edge Rusher, (We still haven't seen Zuniga or Huff), and we all know we're razor thin at WR right now. Those will be the next emphasis by Joe Douglas. He really was left a smoldering dumpster fire ? and leaping off ledges every week isnt the answer for fans. This season is just another year to find a few more guys to trudge forward with into 2021 & 2022 where we have to put our faith in JD & his scouts to have another great draft & fruitful free agent finds that instead of being mercenaries collecting retirement checks are actually part of our success & proud to be New York Jets. 

Everything rides on Joe Douglas. I'm just happy he has 6 years because he's going to need them & we need stability at least in the GM & scouting departments even if their is a coaching change at some point. Looking forward to some these guys getting healthy so we can see what we've got. They're all getting a lot of time when we're already looking at next year. 

Based on what we've seen so far, we should be so lucky.

6 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

I just don't see those things as having kept us from doing anything by now that wouldn't have just gotten us into a deeper hole for 2021 anyway.

the first step to getting out of a deep hole is to stop digging

the team got worse this summer, and the fans saw it as sound financial management 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Based on what we've seen so far, we should be so lucky.

Quinnen Williams played 60% of the snaps between both tackle spots. The rest of the reps went to nine other guys platooning four positions. People like to use the he's great and everybody else is terrible theorem with Darnold but that is what our coaching staff demonstrably thinks about the defensive line.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the first step to getting out of a deep hole is to stop digging

the team got worse this summer, and the fans saw it as sound financial management 

Those things are not why the Adams trade happened. That's money Woody will spend. On a dancing mascot with a jersey number? Please. That's how you conspicuously hit the floor. And for Douglas it's like Maccagnan coming in and finally getting the Wilkerson extension done. Cheap does usually equal worse because reasons. Just not here.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You cannot fix everything in one off-season.

But you absolutely should make material incremental improvements each off-season.

We haven't.

Based on 1 game? Becton is already a huge improvement. Chosen as rookie of the week vs a top 3 defense. We haven’t seen 4 draft picks due to injury. Davis looks like he can play. 
You can’t put anything in the past on JD, even Adams (he didn’t pick him & he wanted out). 
You guys can’t blame him for the sins of others & you can’t judge anything he’s done until the end of this season. 
Even his mistakes like Khalil were 1 year no impact on the cap deals. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Quinnen Williams played 60% of the snaps between both tackle spots. The rest of the reps went to nine other guys platooning four positions. People like to use the he's great and everybody else is terrible theorem with Darnold but that is what our coaching staff demonstrably thinks about the defensive line.

side note the Jets run defense was the only functional part of the team last week 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I understand the Adams situation. I don't like it but I get it. 

what about not signing SunRa? Inexcusable. He didn't get that much money and the team has plenty of cap space 

they are starting Chris hogan? there was no need

Because the first step is to stop digging. You think you're gonna be able to tell Robby Anderson **** once you give him 30 million dollars guaranteed? This has to stop being a semiretirement destination and Anderson is just the most obvious of the wrong kinds of guys.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

side note the Jets run defense was the only functional part of the team last week 

And that's when the offensive line only has to worry about one guy. And yes, it would have been nice if it was two, but Leonard Williams is a hippie and it probably wouldn't have been a good idea to pay him either.

No one's expecting them to fix it. They're expecting them to improve it.

There's a lot of moves Douglas has made that I've liked - He's clearly seen the importance in the OL that Mac never did. That said I think given this may be the last chance to see what we have in Sam I think we should have invested in more around him. I was very vocal in wanting to bring back Robby, they can sign Perriman as well if they liked him. I'd have shelled out more for Conklin instead of going with Fant - Time will tell if these savings are worth it but for this season we clearly held back in free agency. Loved the Becton pick but would have drafted another WR as well - I'd have liked to see Sam given every chance to succeed. We haven't done that and now he has to perform amidst a sh*t show. 

• Upvote 1

The biggest mistake Douglas has made so far is not EITHER resigning Anderson, bringing in another quality veteran WR, or drafting more than one WR - the bottom line is that he left the WR corps too bare for such a critical year for Darnold. The Mims injury is bad luck - but I think you have to plan for at least one significant injury in every positional group. 

Other than that, I'm not sure what more Douglas could have done in one year. His draft picks all have to get on the field so we can see what they are. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The biggest mistake Douglas has made so far is not EITHER resigning Anderson, bringing in another quality veteran WR, or drafting more than one WR - he left the WR corps too bare. The Mims injury is bad luck - but I think you have to plan for at least one significant injury in every positional group. 

Other than that, I'm not sure what more Douglas could have done in one year. His draft picks all have to get on the field so we can see what they are. 

So far i'm not impressed with JD drafting or signing players. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So far i'm not impressed with JD drafting or signing players. 

Why the draft, though? Becton looks good so far, and unless these guys are all injury prone dudes who never get on the field (which could certainly be the case), then I'm not sure what anyone can definitively say about his first draft at this point. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

so it will be 4 more years after this one until we are "fixed"?

Won't take that long if Douglas nails a lot of his picks.  For all the hand-wringing over the injuries, this was a very unusual offseason to say the least.  There are rookie injuries all across the league. 

Once we get this draft class healthy and then stack up another draft class or 2 we can truly evaluate the future of the franchise.  That process is delayed at the moment.  Tough sh*t, life isn't fair.

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

Why the draft, though? Becton looks good so far, and unless these guys are all injury prone dudes who never get on the field (which could certainly be the case), then I'm not sure what anyone can definitively say about his draft at this point. 

Becton was a no brainer if you needed an OL and Mann the Punter seems legit. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Becton was a no brainer if you needed an OL and Mann the Punter seems legit. 

But Becton wasn't the "no brainer" OT to take there.  Tons of people wanted Wirfs, and were pissed when Becton was the pick.  Some even wanted Douglas to trade up for Andrew Thomas.  JD took the higher ceiling, higher risk guy there and its paying off well already.  

Meanwhile, Macc would have probably taken Jerry Jeudy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1