Damien Woody on Gase

AFJF

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But, can we really say he got worse from year 1 to year 2 if he was better in almost all passing categories in year 2 compared to year 1? 

No great leap statistically.  Games vs GB and HOU were when he looked his best IMO.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Most important part of his critique is Darnold's regression.  Go back and watch him late in year 1 against Green Bay and Houston.  You saw him doing the things that great young QB's do.  Since Gase arrived, he has only gotten worse.

Just shut the hell up! Look at the team that was around Sanchez in 2010. Oline- Dbrick-Slauson- Mangold- Moore- Woody. Even Woody knows you can't win without players! Sam supposedly worked with Palmer all offseason, maybe he's the damn problem? Sam couldn't hit the side of a barn last week! High School sh*t! 

LT- Tony Rich- Greene

WRS & TE- Braylon Edwards/ Santonio Holmes/Jericho Cotchery- Dustin Keller

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The eye test tells me Darnold was better in that final 2018 stretch than he was at any point last year. sh*t, even in the first Lions game he looked better.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

No great leap statistically.  Games vs GB and HOU were when he looked his best IMO.

Hmm, maybe.

I'd have to add the Raiders and Cowboys games from 2019 to the mix. 

Woody is wrong about Darnold. He improved in every measurable way vs his rookie year. 

He looked just as good or better than vs. GB/HOU in the Dallas, Raiders, Redskins, Giants, Ravens games last year. And again, this was despite MONO and the worst OL in NFL history. 

Talking about a "regression" after 1 game vs. the #1 passing D in the NFL is laughable media speak. 

Now, I do 100% AGREE  that he is doing this all by himself, Gase is leaving this kid on an island. 

Just now, Jetster said:

Just shut the hell up! Look at the team that was around Sanchez in 2010. Oline- Dbrick-Slauson- Mangold- Moore- Woody. Even Woody knows you can't win without players! Sam supposedly worked with Palmer all offseason, maybe he's the damn problem? Sam couldn't hit the side of a barn last week! High School sh*t! 

LT- Tony Rich- Greene

So you're saying he looks worse now than he did as a rookie? I agree.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

LT- Tony Rich- Greene

Yeah, if Woody has some thoughts on how a head coach should be held responsible for screwing up USC QB prospects who show early promise, you’d think he might be able to produce a more glaring example. 

• Haha 1

Just now, AFJF said:

So you're saying he looks worse now than he did as a rookie? I agree.

How is that Gase fault? He's a f*cking NFL QB, you want Gase to throw it for him? He won 6 out of eight games last year WITH GASE. Sam needs to get his head out of his azz & buckle down & be a damn NFL QB, he plays like a pussy & thats not the Coaches fault when plays are there to be made! No different then a Defensive player whiffing on a sack, is that the Coaches fault? 3 times guys were open on those 1st 3 drives & 3 times he missed them.

SAM DARNOLD- QB  thats what it say next to his name everywhere I look. QB. You know what I say? Hey Sam, complete the f*cking EASY PASS like 31 other QBs did last Sunday!

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

DW calls is correctly.  Gase is a team killer and a QB killer.  Only a total fool like CJ or WJ could be DUPED by Gase, the ultimate charlatan... 

I mean, I don’t think Gase is the ‘ultimate’ charlatan. Mac was here 6 years. Rex convinced Woody to fire Tanny and keep him, then fire his OC every year, then tried it again with Idzik... and thats just the Jets.

Im sure if we look around, we can find another grifter or two that trump Gase.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Eh... Dallas, Raiders, Redskins, Giants, Ravens games last year he looked just as good. 

Talking about a "regression" after 1 game vs. the #1 passing D in the NFL is laughable media speak. 

16-39- 150 yards- 1 interception 

Tom Brady vs Bills in Buffalo last year. How many times do I have to post this? 

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I mean, I don’t think Gase is the ‘ultimate’ charlatan. Mac was here 6 years. Rex convinced Woody to fir Tammy and keep him, the fire his OC every year, then tried it again with Idzuk... and that just the Jets.

Im sure if we look around, we can find another grifter or two that trump Gase.

Rex didnt have any push in getting Tanny fired.  Woody wanted a head and he chopped off Tanny's.  If Woody wanted to keep Rex he should have kept him coupled with Tanny until he wanted both of them gone.  That was all Woody's mess.  And then Idzik sabotaged Rex... An even bigger mess.  

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Rex didnt have any push in getting Tanny fired.  Woody wanted a head and he chopped off Tanny's.  If Woody wanted to keep Rex he should have kept him coupled with Tanny until he wanted both of them gone.  That was all Woody's mess.  And then Idzik sabotaged Rex... An even bigger mess.  

Rex went to Buffalo and pulled the same sh*t he did here and now he’s exiled from the league

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I hate to say it, but Sam has a lot of Ryan Fitzpatrick in him.

When he's "on", he looks like he can be an elite QB but when he's "off" boy oh boy is it bad (and then he presses even more to compound his mistakes).

Like Fitz - there's just enough of the "on" games to make you think there is hope, but when all is said and done, there are just way to many "off" games.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How is that Gase fault? He's a f*cking NFL QB, you want Gase to throw it for him? He won 6 out of eight games last year WITH GASE. Sam needs to get his head out of his azz & buckle down & be a damn NFL QB, he plays like a pussy & thats not the Coaches fault when plays are there to be made! No different then a Defensive player whiffing on a sack, is that the Coaches fault? 3 times guys were open on those 1st 3 drives & 3 times he missed them.

SAM DARNOLD- QB  thats what it say next to his name everywhere I look. QB. You know what I say? Hey Sam, complete the f*cking EASY PASS like 31 other QBs did last Sunday!

Good point.  The reason behind brining in a brilliant offensive mind with a young franchise QB on the roster is so he can say "**** off, kid.  You're on your own".

Let's see how this works out over the long haul.

9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Hey, I'm having this argument over on another forums. These idiots just don't get Gase's greatness. Help me out and let's make a list of all the year's Gase had a top offense and all the QBs he's taken to the top of the league. This is what I've got so far:

Peyton Manning

Dude, he was single-handedly responsible for the development of Luke Falk and David Fales.  Back off.

• Haha 1

What a QB needs to WIN in the NFL not compete, WIN. Because isn’t that all that matters? 
#1- Protection (Oline Continuity)

#2- A semblance of a running game

#3- WRs that can separate 

#4- Make all the easy throws 

#5- Defense to make stops to get more offensive series. 

Before Gase can have any success coaching this team, Sam needs to make those easy completions Sunday. I mean it’s ridiculous to blame a coach when players are open & the QB throws short, long or over the WRs head. When you get to this level it’s not the coaches job to get the ball from your hand to an open WR. That’s like basic elementary stuff like hitting freaking free throws. 
So far Covid offseason doesn’t look good for Darnold & Palmer. 

• Upvote 1

Do any of the talking head "experts" (i.e. ex players and coaches) take a contrary position to the general idea that Gase is doing a bad job and there is no reason to believe it will get any better.

Gase is once again mired in the same issues that chased him out of town in Miami — he seems unable to relate to his players, his team picked up hollow wins against the NFL’s worst teams to rebound from a 1-7 start to the season and now his best players are hoping to get out of town and avoid playing for him any longer. If it sounds familiar, Miami, it should. We’ve seen this song and dance before — and unless the Jets ownership wisens up, we know how this story ends, too.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/25/former-coach-adam-gase-proving-dolphins-right-in-new-york/

18 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I hate to say it, but Sam has a lot of Ryan Fitzpatrick in him.

When he's "on", he looks like he can be an elite QB but when he's "off" boy oh boy is it bad (and then he presses even more to compound his mistakes).

Like Fitz - there's just enough of the "on" games to make you think there is hope, but when all is said and done, there are just way to many "off" games.

Sam has 2 games with more than 1 INT since week 9 2018, Fitzpatrick has 7 in fewer games since then. 

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Browning Nagle went 21-37, 366 yards, 2 TDs and no picks in his first career start

Garrison Hearst!!

<shakes fist at sky>

Then returns to reality and remembers that was Glenn Foley that Hearst spoiled.  Nagle just flourished in garbage time after being down by an insurmountable lead in the first quarter.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

What a QB needs to WIN in the NFL not compete, WIN. Because isn’t that all that matters? 
#1- Protection (Oline Continuity)

#2- A semblance of a running game

#3- WRs that can separate 

#4- Make all the easy throws 

#5- Defense to make stops to get more offensive series. 

Before Gase can have any success coaching this team, Sam needs to make those easy completions Sunday. I mean it’s ridiculous to blame a coach when players are open & the QB throws short, long or over the WRs head. When you get to this level it’s not the coaches job to get the ball from your hand to an open WR. That’s like basic elementary stuff like hitting freaking free throws. 
So far Covid offseason doesn’t look good for Darnold & Palmer. 

Sunday was the first game since Darnold became a starter that he missed throws like that. And there were 3 missed throws in that game... still ended with a 60% completion. And to say those were EASY throws? Lol they were all on the run throws that are anything but easy- Darnold makes them look easy most of the time though.

https://fansided.com/2020/09/15/bad-nfl-coaches-adam-gase-bill-obrien/

Adam Gase should not be fired by the Jets. Firing is too good for him.

You know how the NCAA obliterates all records of a team’s existence from world history if a player gets a free pack of gum or utters a word that rhymes with “agent?” (There was once something called the Fab Five … but saying any more would be double-plus ungood). Or how ancient pharaohs would chisel away the cartouches of hated predecessors from the obelisks?

That’s what the NFL should do to Gase’s entire head-coaching record. He never existed. It was all a fever dream.

Gase leads through belligerent incompetence, compensating for his inability to do anything right by treating everyone who questions him like they’re the stupid ones. It’s a popular and (sadly) prevalent management technique in 2020.

But after Sunday’s 27-17 Jets loss to the Bills, Gase may finally be losing the few remaining undecided voters.

Let’s briefly recap the first half of the game:

The first Jets possession on Sunday started at the 10-yard line due to a penalty on the opening kickoff. It consisted of a scrambling Sam Darnold incompletion, a three-yard Le’Veon Bell run up the gut, a Darnold sideline wobbler out of bounds, and a punt.
Their second possession, coming after a Josh Allen fumble to kill a Bills drive, consisted of a short run by Frank Gore, a Bell stuff for a loss by about three Bills defenders, a wide receiver screen to Chris Hogan on 3rd-and-9 (think about that for a moment), and a punt.
Their third possession, with the Bills leading 7-0, consisted of three straight off-target incomplete passes, with Darnold flushed from the pocket on two of them.
Their fourth drive, with the Bills leading 14-0, started with two Bell plunges for a first down. (Yay!) A third-straight Bell run set the Jets up with 2nd-and-12; a Darnold pass over the middle was then broken up, and he shot-putted a throw as he was getting devoured by a defender on third down. Punt.
Their fifth possession, with the Bills leading 21-0, started with a delay of game penalty on first down. Then came a sack (holding, declined), a short completion, and Darnold throwing an interception away from his body into the middle of the field as if he was a JV quarterback making his first start under the Friday night lights.
Finally, after a Josh Allen fumble to kill a Bills drive (“Josh Allen fumble to kill a Bills drive” is ctrl-shift-A in the C’mon Coach autofill), the Jets showed some signs of interest in playing football. But even after a few cobbled together drives and lots of missed Bills field goals and munch-the-clock tactics, the Jets never really made things interesting.

They stunk in all phases. Their defense jumped offside, committed playground pass interference and got pushed around at the line of scrimmage. Their punt coverage teams were shoddy. It was embarrassing.

In the back of his over-caffeinated, sleep-deprived mind, Gase likely knew his Jets were unprepared but guessed that play would be sloppy all across the NFL due to COVID restrictions, giving him safe harbor to field a preseason-caliber team. In fact, the Jets were the only team in the league that looked like it rolled off the couch and out of quarantine last Tuesday.

Adam Gase makes football worse. If the Men in Black purged all memories of his existence, we would all be happier people. Until such technology exists, you may want to avoid Jets football altogether and hope ownership figures out what a huge mistake they made by hiring him so they can take steps toward making their next huge mistake.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Good point.  The reason behind brining in a brilliant offensive mind with a young franchise QB on the roster is so he can say "**** off, kid.  You're on your own".

Let's see how this works out over the long haul.

Stop! Parcells did that sh*t all the time. Him & Simms were always going at it cause Bill was like HE’S OPEN get the god damn ball there Phil! Sam needs tough love man, he’s a soft Cally boy who’s not taking this sh*t serious enough! How many times has he had a chance to run for an easy 1st down & he chokes? It’s been like that since he hurt his foot. Right now he’s playing soft like a mommas boy, no fire, no leading the way! Guys won’t keep blocking for weaklings who can’t throw an out when it’s there. That game was on Sam & GWs defense that was awful! This Gase bashing after 1 game vs what might be a top 2 defense from what I’ve seen so far is dumb.