Drain the swamp! MetLife Stadium ranked among worst NFL venues

joewilly12

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets were never moving to Queens.  In fact, they never wanted to move at all.  When the Manhattan brass ring fell through the Jets felt obliged to appease New York and Long Island fans who were rumbling in the papers, so they scheduled a meeting and held a "pep rally", remember that?  Some big fan outpouring of support for a move back 'home'?   I do.  3 people showed up!  And one was a hot dog vendor!

SAR I

There are no Jets fans in queens.

Also, where the hell would they build this? Flushing meadows?

• WTF? 1

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

So even when Woody fails it’s all just part of his master plan. Get off the old boy’s nozzle, bro.

WSS wasn't a Woody failure.  It had zero chance of succeeding because the Olympics was never coming to Manhattan.  He spent a few million on a longshot.  When it went belly-up, as expected, he went to Plan B with the Giants and stayed put. 

If there were no WSS longshot, he never would have spoken to New York because there wasn't any place in New York to go to and New York didn't want the Jets.  In the end it all worked out.  We upgraded Giants Stadium and got rid of the Giants.

SAR I

The Jets will suck as long as they play in New Jersey. No identity. Terrible location in relation to where fan base lies (Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island) not to mention having currently the worst Uniforms in the sport. Wanna fix the Jets???

Johnson's sell the team to an Owner who loves the Jets and knows their History.  New Owner builds new Stadium in the Jets RIGHTFUL HOME of Beautiful Queens,,NY. Emphasis on NEW.....YORK.....!!!

New Stadium sits adjacent to Citi Field. New Stadium is built with unique personality features (Seattle, Minnesota,  Los Angeles) that make it DIFFERENT from every other Stadium.

New Stadium,  is a JETS ONLY Stadium. Green Seats, Green Facades. Green EVERYTHING. Rejuvenated fan base becomes new latest "12th Man" that every team needs.

Uniforms are changed. First up as primary Uniforms: The Sack Exchange era uni's with the "Namath's as the Alternate. These uni's NEVER to be seen again.

Fans flock to Stadium via Subway and LIRR. 

Sundays are LOUUUUUUUUD.

Fixed

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If you're arguing that for an extra 700 to a thousand Jets fans its worth having a giant stadium where more than half the fans are a very long way from the action and parking and driving in and out can be a nightmare I think you're nuts.  

No, I'm just rebutting those who feel that Seattle is some well-supported football team and the Jets have fewer attending fans.  It's simply untrue.  We built a bigger stadium because it supports a metro area of 20M not the puny 4M in their region.  We are a high-tourist destination, especially in the fall, so we will always have more enemy fans as a percentage than they do, but because the building is bigger it ensures the same amount of Jets fans are present.  60,000 voices screaming on 3rd down in Centrylink, 60,000 voices screaming on 3rd down in MetLife, same thing.

I've been to small in-city NFL stadiums and haven't been impressed by them.  I guess if I lived in Seattle and could walk over to Centrylink it would be convenient, but when I went to Indianapolis nothing about their stadium struck me as anything different than MetLife.  They have brick on the facade in a nod to the Indanapolis 500, we have aluminum on our facade in a nod to skyscrapers, makes no difference.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

sheags.jpg

Amazes me that fans used to a dusty baseball diamond and red and blue seats for 40 years would complain about a stadium we actually own.  Whining for the sake of whining.  SOJF's, always looking for the dark cloud instead of the silver lining.

SAR I

Pic one.  Great football team, full of fans in the seats.  Pic 2 sh*t football team Sar 1 in the seats.  

5 minutes ago, Shea Jet said:

The Jets will suck as long as they play in New Jersey. No identity.

Yes, because the Giants, in the same exact circumstance, have suffered so much 'identity' problems with their 4 Super Bowl trophies in the 35 years they've been in New Jersey.

7 minutes ago, Shea Jet said:

Terrible location in relation to where fan base lies (Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)

Am I in a time warp?  Is it 1983?

I don't want to get morbid, but any 50 year old season ticket holder from Shea Stadium in 1983 is either in assisted living or is no longer with us.  The Jets have now been in New Jersey (37 years) far longer than they have been in New York (23 years) and you're in your third generation of New Jersey fans in the stadium.  Just glancing at the license plates in MetLife, I'd estimate that 75% of the fans are Garden Staters.  Makes complete sense.  No doubt there are still Jets fans on Long Island, but they don't go to games.  If they did, they'd just drive to Jersey.

11 minutes ago, Shea Jet said:

New Stadium,  is a JETS ONLY Stadium. Green Seats, Green Facades. Green EVERYTHING. Rejuvenated fan base becomes new latest "12th Man" that every team needs.

This is truly funny.  Jets fans are incredibly cheap and cheer for NOTHING.  They actually like losing.  That's the "12th Man" of the Jets.  Our mascot should be Eeyore.

SAR I

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

The only people against this were people from New Jersey and/or those who like to sit in a parking lot and drink for 6 hours before a game.

Oh and Sheldon Silver.

In truth that is why Sheldon Silver just went to jail last month because he in part was using his influence to steer business in certain directions....

Look at what the WSS was going to do...

“The speaker wanted us to (not build) about 24 million square feet (of new retail space) that are scheduled to be built over the next 20 or 30 years on the West Side, and I could not in good conscience take away people’s rights to build there,” Bloomberg said.

Pataki said last night, “This would have been tremendous for New York City.”

This man was bought and paid for and I am quite sure former Mayor Bloomberg made sure that his nonsense came out, hence his recent incarceration.

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, because the Giants, in the same exact circumstance, have suffered so much 'identity' problems with their 4 Super Bowl trophies in the 35 years they've been in New Jersey.

I don't want to get morbid, but any 50 year old season ticket holder from Shea Stadium in 1983 is either in assisted living or is no longer with us.  The Jets have now been in New Jersey (37 years) far longer than they have been in New York (23 years) and you're in your third generation of New Jersey fans in the stadium.  Just glancing at the license plates in MetLife, I'd estimate that 75% of the fans are Garden Staters.  Makes complete sense.  No doubt there are still Jets fans on Long Island, but they don't go to games.  If they did, they'd just drive to Jersey.

This is truly funny.  Jets fans are incredibly cheap and cheer for NOTHING.  They actually like losing.  That's the "12th Man" of the Jets.  Our mascot should be Eeyore.

SAR I

The Giants identity,  UNLIKE the Jets, IS New Jersey. Its amazingly ignorant of you to not recognize that. The Giants WENT to New Jersey, on their own, by CHOICE. The Jets went with their tails between their legs, no pride, HOMELESS. Big Difference. Super Bowl Titles, in New Jersey, Giants 4 Jets 0. Does it have to become 8-0 before you get the picture Einstein?

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Every time you say this I think of this...

Enjoy....

Hmmmmmmmmm remind you of anyone saying branding doesn't matter..

:) 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Giant fans moved from Yankee stadium to the Yale Bowl to a year at Shea before they moved to Giant stadium.  Jets fans moved from Shea stadium to Giant stadium.  

The Giants circumstances weren't remotely like the Jets.  Before the merger the NFL had divided the league TV and radio broadcast rights into regional areas.  The Giants area ran from Central NJ to Maine.  Most of New England, New York and NJ were Giant fans.  The Jets and the Pats fan were insignificant compared to the army of Giant fans but the team was dependent on this small but tight nit group of hard core fans.   The Jets were a local NYC/LI team who's local games were blacked out.  The merger changed everything including the regional TV and radio rights which are now shared.  

When the Jets moved to Giant Stadium they were absolutely dependent on Jets fans renewing and buying tickets to Giant stadium to fill it.   The Giants could have put their stadium in Hartford and filled it for every game.   The Jets are now part of the NFL conglomerate that shares revenue and as a consequence ownership is an automatic ticket to fantastic return on investment.  

Woody no question tried to steal some great NYC real estate.  He also could have kept his promise to the base of hard core Jets fans to do something unique to brand the Jets to their history and fans.  Instead he choose to untie the Jets from its history and throw in with the Giants.  They created something that doesn't do justice too either teams fans or history.  

I'm also a long time Mets fan.  I give credit to the Steinbrenner's for building the new Yankee Stadium in the Bronx and while making it modern and beautiful maintained some of the beauty of the old stadium.  In contrast the Mets built a tribute to the Brooklyn Dodgers and practically ignored the history of the Mets.  It's a crappy place to watch a ball game and was mostly built as an edifice to the owners love of a team that left for LA.   Woody could have done a lot better.  It is what it is.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And the Giants are in their 45TH YEAR in New Jersey.

Edited by Shea Jet
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No, I'm just rebutting those who feel that Seattle is some well-supported football team and the Jets have fewer attending fans.  It's simply untrue.  We built a bigger stadium because it supports a metro area of 20M not the puny 4M in their region.  We are a high-tourist destination, especially in the fall, so we will always have more enemy fans as a percentage than they do, but because the building is bigger it ensures the same amount of Jets fans are present.  60,000 voices screaming on 3rd down in Centrylink, 60,000 voices screaming on 3rd down in MetLife, same thing.

I've been to small in-city NFL stadiums and haven't been impressed by them.  I guess if I lived in Seattle and could walk over to Centrylink it would be convenient, but when I went to Indianapolis nothing about their stadium struck me as anything different than MetLife.  They have brick on the facade in a nod to the Indanapolis 500, we have aluminum on our facade in a nod to skyscrapers, makes no difference.

SAR I

What would an urbane Bergen county guy like you be doing in Indianapolis?  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's like complaining 2x a month for the better part of 10 years about the design of the Beverly Hills Hotel when you have never stayed there.

MetLife Stadium is designed to please PSL holders.  And it does.

SAR I

I have. And that hotel is old AF. Frank Sinatra’s man stains are still on the carpet.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shea Jet said:

The Giants identity,  UNLIKE the Jets, IS New Jersey.

You make this stuff up or what?  The Giants preceded the Jets in NEW YORK by 40 years, Frank Gifford was as big a star in this town as Mickey Mantle.  "The Giants are New Jersey" is ridiculous, there are still easily 2x as many Giants fans in NYC Metro as there are Jets fans.

Its amazingly ignorant of you to not recognize that. The Giants WENT to New Jersey, on their own, by CHOICE. The Jets went with their tails between their legs, no pride, HOMELESS. Big Difference. Super Bowl Titles, in New Jersey, Giants 4 Jets 0. Does it have to become 8-0 before you get the picture Einstein?

The Jets WENT to New Jersey on their own by CHOICE as well.  The Mets didn't throw us out, they were more than happy to have us as their lapdog as long as we wished to stay.  Leon Hess wanted more for his fans so he called the Giants and there you go, by CHOICE off to New Jersey.  In fact, New York tried to negotiate the Jets return in 1986 and Hess rejected the proposal as it was going to cost fans way too much money.

One doesn't need a PHD to know how to read a newspaper.  The Jets are a New Jersey team now.  Time to deal with it.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/07/sports/jets-will-remain-in-new-jersey.html

SAR I

And did the Jets win that Supee Bowl while playing their Home Games in New York or New Jersey, Champ?

New York was so good to the Jets that they didn't give us a tickertape parade and the Mets were so good to the Jets that they made the World Champions play the first 5 games of the 1969 season on the road.

New York has sh*t on the Jets from the beginning.  Why you think we should play there is absurd.  

SAR I

And the Giants are in their 45TH YEAR in New Jersey.

So what?  Any Shea Stadium Jets season ticket holder who was 55 years old in 1983 is now 92 years old.  That fan's teen offspring are now the very 55 year olds at the heart of the MetLife season ticket base, and have been attending games in New Jersey since they were in junior high school.

Your argument would have been very interesting 40 years ago.  Right now, it is rather peculiar.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

What would an urbane Bergen county guy like you be doing in Indianapolis?  

2009 AFC Championship Game. 

A few hours after my plane landed I went to a recommended steakhouse called St. Elmo's the night before the game.  The hostess was rather off-putting and my friend and I were taken down to the lower level, we were the only ones there, us two and about 50 empty seats and tables, I thought they were being rude because we were wearing Jets jerseys. 

My anger lasted about 10 minutes until the entire Jets defense came down the steps and were seated all around us and Woody Johnson gave a passionate pregame speech.  LOL.  Great night.  The next day, not so much.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetswin said:

Has anyone said it yet, I haven't read thread?

PSL Gold

In 14 weeks when the Jets clinch the division and PSL owners are granted the only tickets available for our first home playoff game in 18 years, you'll say those words and actually mean it.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In 14 weeks when the Jets clinch the division and PSL owners are granted the only tickets available for our first home playoff game in 18 years, you'll say those words and actually mean it.

SAR I

I love the cut of your jib. Please don’t ever change. We need you here.

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You make this stuff up or what?  The Giants preceded the Jets in NEW YORK by 40 years, Frank Gifford was as big a star in this town as Mickey Mantle.  "The Giants are New Jersey" is ridiculous, there are still easily 2x as many Giants fans in NYC Metro as there are Jets fans.

The Jets WENT to New Jersey on their own by CHOICE as well.  The Mets didn't throw us out, they were more than happy to have us as their lapdog as long as we wished to stay.  Leon Hess wanted more for his fans so he called the Giants and there you go, by CHOICE off to New Jersey.  In fact, New York tried to negotiate the Jets return in 1986 and Hess rejected the proposal as it was going to cost fans way too much money.

One doesn't need a PHD to know how to read a newspaper.  The Jets are a New Jersey team now.  Time to deal with it.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/07/sports/jets-will-remain-in-new-jersey.html

SAR I

And you'll "deal with" the fact that as long as they play in Jersey you'll never sniff a Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, jetswin said:

Has anyone said it yet, I haven't read thread?

PSL Gold

Investment Gold 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

animated-laughing-image-0182

I was too young to care about Shea, but I enjoyed the game when I was there. I never cared about Giants Stadium as a young adult. I don't care about Metlife. I care about the team, and I care about winning. The stadium could look like a bowl of diarrhea and be called Bowl of Diarrhea Stadium and I couldn't care less, What bothers me is inept ownership and losing games. The stadium is on the very bottom of things I care about, or care to talk about. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, they don’t, actually. 

They just complain about a stadium they do not patronize and whine about the noise made by enemy fans in the seats they don’t sit in. 

Tell them to “show up or shut up”.  They have no answer for that. 

SAR I

There’s that “scoldy” tone again. Perhaps a softer more conciliatory approach might be considered? 

44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Meanwhile in 2003, I purchased playoff tickets to the Indy game at face value a few days before the game.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Drain the swamp! MetLife Stadium ranked among worst NFL venues

Updated 5:52 PM; Today 4:28 PM 

Giants and Jets fans won’t be able to attend NFL games this season at MetLife Stadium because of the coronavirus.

According to ESPN, they won’t be missing much.

The Worldwide Leader ranked all 28 NFL stadiums, judging them on atmosphere, features, traditions, tailgating, location, cost and history. MetLife Stadium checked in at No. 21. Here’s why:

What’s good: The chants. “J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!” -- famously led for many years by Fireman Ed -- is a true original. “De-Fense!” -- coined by Giants fans at old Yankee Stadium -- no longer wholly belongs to the G-Men but always feels right in Gotham. The stadium’s location isn’t ideal but gets a boost for having a train stop.

What needs work: The aesthetic isn’t great. One NFL Nation writer described it as an “oversized air conditioner with unsightly slats.” Much like Levi’s Stadium in the Bay Area, getting a consistent winner in here would do wonders.

ESPN also noted that MetLife Stadium has hosted two playoff games in the last decade, and one of them was Super Bowl XLVIII.

It’s also worth mentioning the ranking did not include the two new stadiums which opened this year: SoFi Stadium (Rams and Chargers) and Allegiant Stadium (Raiders).

The only stadiums ranking worse than MetLife Stadium are:

22. Soldier Field, Bears

23. Gillette Stadium, Patriots

24. Bank of America Stadium, Panthers

25. Hard Rock Stadium, Dolphins

26. Paul Brown Stadium, Bengals

27. TIAA Bank Field, Jaguars

28. FedEx Field, Washington Football Team

As for the top five:

1. Lambeau Field, Packers

2. CenturyLink Field, Seahawks

3. Arrowhead Stadium, Chiefs

4. Heinz Field, Steelers

5. U.S. Bank Stadium

The Philadelphia Eagles narrowly missed the top five, withLincoln Financial Field coming in at No. 7.

They are figuring this out NOW ????? It's sucked for years .

22 hours ago, SAR I said:

No, they don’t, actually. 

They just complain about a stadium they do not patronize and whine about the noise made by enemy fans in the seats they don’t sit in. 

Tell them to “show up or shut up”.  They have no answer for that. 

SAR I

Would you like some grey poupon with that whine ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jetluv58 said:

There’s that “scoldy” tone again. Perhaps a softer more conciliatory approach might be considered? 

I like cats. You know why? Because you gotta earn that love. And even when you do, they’ll still scratch if you cross them.

This site has plenty of dogs. We need a cat. SAR is that cat. He fulfills a needed role. Don’t run him out.

• Haha 1