THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Burrow vs Baker

The Battle of Ohio!

What we've been waiting all day for!

Storylines:

How many times will Jets fans post, "If we only had a quarterback like (INSERT Burrow or Baker HERE)!"

How many times will announcers say something like, "You know, Cleveland is actually a really nice city!"

How many times will someone here post, "The 1st that Seattle gave us for Baker right now!  Pick up the phone Joe."

How many times will announcers say LeBron James?

11 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Can't wait for game tonight. I expect the Bengals to win because Burrow is a real franchise quarterback, Baker is not. 

What about the debut makes you think he’s a “ for real franchise QB”? Was the 0 TDs Or the 1 INT or the 150 yards passing or 66 rating or the loss? 

• Upvote 1

Burrow was not bad against the Chargers in his debut, though he did a fair bit of dinking and dunking in that one, and did a lot of his damage on the ground (8 carries, 46 yds, rushing TD).

Now he has a road game 4 days later.  I think he'll look pretty good once again but the Browns will win.  I'll go with 24-17 Browns.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Burrow was not bad against the Chargers in his debut, though he did a fair bit of dinking and dunking in that one, and did a lot of his damage on the ground (8 carries, 46 yds, rushing TD).

Now he has a road game 4 days later.  I think he'll look good but the Browns will win.

had teh go ahead rd taken away and a missed easy FG to tie it as well..

baker is a dick so...i halfroot against him all the time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Love how Baker’s sophomore slump is used the day he’s a bum around here. Gase>Kitchens.

Baker has more upside than Darnold at this point from what I’ve seen.

Well sophomore slumps aren't supposed to be a thing for QB's.  They're supposed to take major leaps forward in year 2.  

It's pretty much a wash between Mayfield and Darnold for me.  Darnold is more likable so I'd rather have him.

But of course I'd rather have Burrow over both.  Easily.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well sophomore slumps aren't supposed to be a thing for QB's.  They're supposed to take major leaps forward in year 2.  

It's pretty much a wash between Mayfield and Darnold for me.  Darnold is more likable so I'd rather have him.

But of course I'd rather have Burrow over both.  Easily.

I still have to give Baker the edge for his rookie year. Just funny how creative we are for excuses for Darnold when Baker had an outrageously unqualified and incompetent HC last year and saw his production dive.

Agree with you on Burrow, though.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

I still have to give Baker the edge for his rookie year. Just funny how creative we are for excuses for Darnold when Baker had an outrageously unqualified and incompetent HC last year and saw his production dive.

Right, but its not the coaching people bring up when comparing the 2.  It's the enviable supporting cast Mayfield has to throw and hand off to.  Regardless of who our QB is, I'd salivate over the possibility of having a skill group that includes Beckham, Landry, Chubb, Kareem Hunt and Austin Hooper. 

Purely from a skills standpoint, at least.  I don't like Beckham, Landry or Hunt's personalities/off the field stuff.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Darnold in THJIS thread too...  *sigh* no comment...

Yes. Burrow.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right, but its not the coaching people bring up when comparing the 2.  It's the enviable supporting cast Mayfield has to throw and hand off to.  Regardless of who our QB is, I'd salivate over the possibility of having a skill group that includes Beckham, Landry, Chubb, Kareem Hunt and Austin Hooper.

Baker gave a glimpse of what he could do before getting the worst NFL coach in a decade calling plays for him. Let’s also not forget, Baker looked good under Hue Jackson—probably the 2nd worst coach in the last decade.

Edit: actually he looked good under Gregg Williams is more accurate. A big reason why I want Gase out and Williams on ASAP this season.

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Love how Baker’s sophomore slump is used to say he’s a bum around here. Gase>Kitchens.

Baker has more upside than Darnold at this point from what I’ve seen.

Ok now you’re just trolling. He’s been worse than Darnold by every measure since week 1 of last year. With maybe the best skill group in the entire leuage.

1 minute ago, Y3k said:

Ok now you’re just trolling. He’s been worse than Darnold by every measure since week 1 of last year. With maybe the best skill group in the entire leuage.

Not trolling. If I had to pick between the two, I’d hold my nose and take Baker. If Darnold produced Baker’s rookie numbers this year the Johnsons would sign him to a massive extension.

Just now, jgb said:

Not trolling. If I had to pick between the two, I’d hold my nose and take Baker. If Darnold produced Baker’s rookie numbers this year the Johnsons would sign him to a massive extension.

Throwing out contrarian opinions without facts to support it is the definition of trolling. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Battle of Ohio!

What we've been waiting all day for!

Storylines:

How many times will Jets fans post, "If we only had a quarterback like (INSERT Burrow or Baker HERE)!"

How many times will announcers say something like, "You know, Cleveland is actually a really nice city!"

How many times will someone here post, "The 1st that Seattle gave us for Baker right now!  Pick up the phone Joe."

How many times will announcers say LeBron James?

I liked the original 'Battle For the Planet of the Apes' much better, but who am I to judge? : /