playtowinthegame

THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL: Burrow vs Baker

Burrow was not bad against the Chargers in his debut, though he did a fair bit of dinking and dunking in that one, and did a lot of his damage on the ground (8 carries, 46 yds, rushing TD).

Now he has a road game 4 days later.  I think he'll look pretty good once again but the Browns will win.  I'll go with 24-17 Browns.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Love how Baker’s sophomore slump is used the day he’s a bum around here. Gase>Kitchens.

Baker has more upside than Darnold at this point from what I’ve seen.

Well sophomore slumps aren't supposed to be a thing for QB's.  They're supposed to take major leaps forward in year 2.  

It's pretty much a wash between Mayfield and Darnold for me.  Darnold is more likable so I'd rather have him.

But of course I'd rather have Burrow over both.  Easily.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

I still have to give Baker the edge for his rookie year. Just funny how creative we are for excuses for Darnold when Baker had an outrageously unqualified and incompetent HC last year and saw his production dive.

Agree with you on Burrow, though.

Right, but its not the coaching people bring up when comparing the 2.  It's the enviable supporting cast Mayfield has to throw and hand off to.  Regardless of who our QB is, I'd salivate over the possibility of having a skill group that includes Beckham, Landry, Chubb, Kareem Hunt and Austin Hooper. 

Purely from a skills standpoint, at least.  I don't like Beckham, Landry or Hunt's personalities/off the field stuff.

Just now, DLJ said:

They just let burrow play

Lots of 4 and 5 WR sets.  Spread em out and let Burrow do damage.  Since he's a very effective runner, teams will always have to make a tough choice on what to try to stop.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Exactly what Mayfield needed coming off that Ravens game:  A cupcake defense to feast on.  

He still probably won't come close to taking full advantage, however.

• Upvote 1

Browns going run-heavy.  Cincy doesn't have anyone really capable of stopping it.

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

The guy that walked to the LOS like a total badass was Marino.  Just an arrogance about him that I am gonna do my thing and nuttin' you can do about it.  Burrow is as close to that as anyone can be in their 2nd NFL start.

Burrow has already had a couple of seriously negative plays.  Watch how he rebounds.   There are no "ghosts" in this kid.

RoadFan is killing it.  

@Y3k:  Hush. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Y3k said:

Playing against no defense will have that effect on people.

Shhhhhhhh

1 minute ago, Y3k said:

Yes he is, football against the browns is a totally different sport.

Shhhh Shut Up GIF by swerk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Y3k said:

Did you see his complete lack of arm strength and frail build? I did 

be quiet the rock GIF by HBO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jonah Williams having a rough game so far.  Allowed a sack in the 1st Quarter and now a holding penalty.

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is kind of funny because outside of one throw, I would say Burrow looks every bit of a rookie

At least there's hope there.  Our QB looks like a rookie in Year 3.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DLJ said:

That dude has to be a troll

I thought it was Nico.  But I've doubted it of late.  Nico would be throwing a lot more childish insults at people.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I know he wont have the luxury of playing the Bengals at home on a short week but I really hope that Darnold has a bounce back performance similar to how Mayfield has had in this half. 

I'd settle for him not figuratively vomiting on the field.

• Haha 4

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Why didn’t the Jets pickup Hunt?

We didn't need a kicker.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, DLJ said:

We’re going to get destroyed on Sunday just wait...

I have little doubt.  I don't care how many injuries the 49ers have.  They still have a terrific defense and enough talent on offense (Kittle or not) to get by.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Choir boys is the environment the NY Jets want. While other teams improve roster for less than nothing. 

Ehhh, in this particular situation I wouldn't really want to be emulating the Browns.  John Dorsey brought him over from KC, and then ended up getting fired after just 3 years with the org.  They've brought in too many questionable guys, a big reason why it hasn't really worked out in the W-L column to this point.

Plenty of other organizations out there doing great work that we can wish the Jets were.  

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

OBJ's dream match up.

Actually his # 2 matchup.

• Haha 2

A lot more positives than negatives out of that half for Burrow.  Very promising.  

• Upvote 2

O/U on this game was 44.5.  Both teams would have to work very hard not to get to the Over tonight.  

1 minute ago, Y3k said:

Burrow 2 min drive zero passes passed the 1st down marker. 

Got the ball with 1:25 left in the half.  Got 3 points.  That's a successful drive.

Shhhhhhhhh

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What I would give for the Jets to have AJ Green, Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins running around this coming weekend.

Looks like we will have Perriman, Chris Hogan, Braxton Berrios as our top three.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Y3k said:

28 pass attempts...do the math 

6.0 YPA.  Not very impressive.  But he has the 2nd half to boost that. 

Meanwhile, Darnold has failed to reach 6.0 YPA in 10 of his 27 career starts.  Yikes.

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah,  he almost cost his team that last FG. I'm sure everyone would have just loved him had that DB stayed in bounds.  

You're right, we are watching different games. 

Yes.  He's focusing on the forest.  You're nitpicking with the trees.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Man, we need to play against a defense like the Bengals. 

That didn't work out too well last time...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912010cin.htm

1 2 3 4 Final
2019 New York Jets Logo
New York Jets 3 3 0 0 6
2019 Cincinnati Bengals Logo
Cincinnati Bengals 7 10 5 0 22

Darnold:  28/48, 239 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT (71.4 QB Rating), 4 Sacks taken

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Big goalline stand for Cincy.  Wouldn't it be something if Burrow can drive them 99 yards to tie it up.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Not calling a QB sneak from the 1 there on 1st down with Baker will cost them the game.  

If Burrow gets off the goal line, he can take it from them.

Cincy hadn't stopped Chubb all night to this point, and the D had to be totally gassed.  I don't blame the Browns for leaning on Chubb to get the score.  

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

You want to tell me about trees again

I mean, if you're just going to sit on the bad plays without acknowledging the positives, you're going to find them without much trouble.  The celebration is adorable, however.  A rookie has rookie moments, film at 11!

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Burrow RUNNING for a 1st down.

Shhhhh....  The kid has balls. 

Darnold is a cotton ball. 

This is how you respond to adversity.  No excuses, no pathetic body language, no going into a shell.  Just drive right back down the field.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What is wrong with you. I have said he has talent but he is getting his ass kicked. All of you are just dying for him to be this thing Sam is not. He is a rookie. He will get better but he is a rookie playing like a rookie

No, he isn't.  

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Did you just watch that goal line sequence? They went backwards  10 yards.  They only other team that I see do that is the Jets.  

Ok Mr Trees.  I never said the Bengals were any good.  You said Burrow is getting his a$$ kicked.  No, he really isn't.

Tee Higgins sighting!  I believe that's his first career catch?

EDIT:  Nope, 2nd (both this game and career)

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company