The buzzards are circling for Darnold and Mayfield, with this interesting bonus nug

T0mShane

8 hours ago, TMAC said:

This does not surprise me at all.  When Woody left to work his magic in the United Kingdom, I was hopeful.  Once again reminded that things can always get worse.  As long as the Johnsons own this franchise, this organization will stink.

I just read England has decided to fight the USA over that whole revolution thing after all, citing "unfortunate conversations with the US Ambassador"

• Haha 2

I think There’s something to be said about the fact that the traditional QBs from the last few years of all struggled; Rosen, Darnold, Trubisky, Mayfield etc. Meanwhile the traditionally high risk spread/option/scramble types have taken over. Lamar, Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Murray…

Tells me QBs are coming out of school not knowing how to play the position... RPO has destroyed it.

Brees, Brady, Ryan and Rogers put up the numbers without much of an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Matt Miller article citing a few personnel guys talking about the 2018 draft, wherein those nameless personnel guys say that “of course we knew Darnold and Baker would suck.” Nonetheless, guess who Chris Johnson preferred?

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2909216-nfl-insiders-on-baker-mayfield-sam-darnolds-struggles-as-seats-get-hotter.amp.html

“The Jets, fearing the Browns would select their top-ranked quarterback, had focused on UCLA's Rosen in the lead-up to the draft. But one former member of the front office said the organization was split at the time.

"Darnold was our guy," he said, "but there were a lot of people in the building who liked Baker because of his leadership skills and athleticism. And of course the owner wanted Rosen, so we were really divided, but it came down to what the GM and head coach wanted, and that would have been Darnold, then Rosen."

This alone should tell CJ to shut his mouth and leave football to the men in the room 

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I admit my preference was Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield. To be honest they all stink, but we’d currently ruin anyone.

To much to over come with the worse H.C in football, a team in total flux and million injuries.

We will win enough to draft 3-5 range. 

Whats interesting to me is how I routinely asked people why Lamar Jackson wasn't in the top QB talk of the time.  I just figured all of the draftniks and analyst types knew Better so I chilled on it.  not to say I would have take Jackson over Darnold. I wouldn't have, but I think I would have really considered him over Rosen, Baker and Allen. 

As an aside I am in Washington State and I have seen in numerous stores the oddest shirts about Minishew. Him flipping his hair around..on a shirt. Minishew Madness. Things like that. He was an absolute legend up here and some people think he is the best QB to come into the NFL in a decade.  lol 

Who knows? He looked pretty good last week. 

23 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I too wanted Rosen and I was completely against drafting Josh Allen.

However

I wanted Deshaun Watson and was extremely upset when Mac passed on him. We probably would have ruined him anyways and he'd be on the Geno Smith career trajectory.

I don’t think anyone could be a Geno smith trajectory.  Watson isn’t a punk.

22 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Mayfield while not perfect is nowhere near the bust Darnold is. At this point Sam is Mitch Trubisky 2.0

Mayfield sucks.  He was beyond horrible week 1 and would have lost to a bengals team that just went 1-15 but got bailed out by a great running game

Funny, nameless people coming out of the wood work to say "I knew it all along".  The piling on will continue until it can't.  Also, if Chris Johnson is GM as some seem to think he makes picks then how come we didn't take Rosen? Back then I thought it was Sam, Baker, Lamar, then Rosen only because I didn't think Rosen could move as much as the rest.  Also didn't want any part of Allen because I did not think you can teach inaccuracy.  We shall see, still think it a bit early on all except Rosen to make a definitive and final decision.

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Whats interesting to me is how I routinely asked people why Lamar Jackson wasn't in the top QB talk of the time.  I just figured all of the draftniks and analyst types knew Better so I chilled on it.  not to say I would have take Jackson over Darnold. I wouldn't have, but I think I would have really considered him over Rosen, Baker and Allen. 

As an aside I am in Washington State and I have seen in numerous stores the oddest shirts about Minishew. Him flipping his hair around..on a shirt. Minishew Madness. Things like that. He was an absolute legend up here and some people think he is the best QB to come into the NFL in a decade.  lol 

Lots of factors, I think Darnold would have flourished if he’d gone to the Ravens. I also think Jackson would have failed here.

We have no core to the team, looks like we may have a left tackle? - That’s about it, and a bunch of Jags.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

619 completions vs. 655 rush attempts, never cracked 60% completion as a passer, only averaged 2 yards more per completion than he did per rush attempt.  I legit, didnt not see it translating in the NFL.  

Pac 10, multiple teams, Mike Leach QB's.  

On 9/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I find the whole draft class interesting.

Darnold may have been the consensus #1, but it was far from unanimous.  It is obvious that McCloughan had Mayfield higher, and a bunch of other guys did too.  There was a bunch of chatter about his arm at one of the QB camps before his final year.  I can't remember names, but they were guys we have heard of and they were saying he should be ahead of Allen, Darnold and Rosen before his Heisman year.  There was the Shronka, former NFL scout at ourlads, that correctly stated that Darnold's footwork as a mess and described him as a "cow on ice."  Everybody didn't love Darnold.

Everybody sh*ts on Allen, but IMO he was the guy that people expected to go #1 overall. He was consistently compared to Wentz and had the same coaches who said he was better.  The issue was his accuracy did not take the expected leap so people were wildly split on him.  The Bills obviously loved him, though they were rumored to like Barkley even better.  Allen was going to have a pretty wide split of guys that loved him and guys that were afraid to go near him.  Boom/bust.

Rosen seemed to be the most pro ready.  A top guy for a long time, but he had a rough year and the more you looked, the less you liked.  Seemed douche-y and entitled and I don't think anybody liked him.  His game wasn't good enough to deal with all that.  Had some arm injuries IIRC and not a cannon that puts guys like Stafford at #1.

Jackson was a guy that everybody was interested in, but nobody wanted to pick him that high because you had to tailor so much to him.  I find it interesting that a solid team with a decent QB rolled the dice on him and were willing to change things up.  Meanwhile, teams that were going 3-13, 5-11 or 0-16, were going to stay away because they were afraid Jackson wouldn't fit their "system."  Those systems worked so great, eh? 

Hue Jackson was supposed to be this QB whisperer that was going to develop Mayfield.  Did he even last half the season?  The two running QBs that were supposed to be coach killers are the only two that are still where they were drafted with the same coaching staff.  Did anybody see that coming?

Great analysis. As much as I’m not bailing on Darnold just yet I was never that sold on him in the lead up to the draft. The mechanics were so blindingly obviously terrible that I’m baffled that only now are people seeing this, it was all there on his college tape but despite all that he did make some incredible throws and won some big games. It feels like Jeremy Bates actually did a great job of smoothing out Darnold from a mechanical point of view although most can’t see past how poor he was as an OC to give him any credit.

It feels like Sam’s regressed somewhat although that may be more schematic and that, as others have mentioned before, he’s a ‘gunslinger’ who needs to be coached a certain way, it may also be that he’s the type of QB who will throw in those boneheaded days from time time ...he’s basically ‘sh*t or bust’ ...in fact the fanbase are so down on him I wouldn’t be shocked if he pulls out a performance on Sunday, he is still a relatively young and still developing player.

Back to that draft, I wanted us to go Mayfield, thought Rosen was next best, loved Jackson and couldn’t see how he was any less than a much better version of Michael Vick and was really hoping Allen would prove the ‘experts’ spectacularly wrong. I’m enjoying seeing Jackson and Allen cause much foaming at the mouth and anxiety amongst those who confidently  predicted that neither was an NFL QB