How much does Darnold busting delay the rebuild?

GreekJet

If Darnold was even an average QB the Jets would be well positioned to build around him with draft picks and cap space. 

If the Jets finish with a top 5 pick and Darnold continues to look like a bust the Jets will likely be forced to draft his replacement instead of another Stud Oline or WR.

Drafting another QB means we start the merry go round over again and likely looking at 2022-23 before competitive (if that QB hits and isn’t Darnold/Sanchez/Geno 4.0).

Personally I am done with these young QBs. Give me Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton and let them battle it out with James Morgan next year. 

• Thumb Down 2

Depends....

I hope he doesn't go full bust but I'm less confident in him today than ever before.

If he goes full supernova and we get the first pick in the draft than I think we could argue it accelerates the rebuild.

164389962_hqdefault(1).jpg.6b89960346dbc61c3038fd23bf55ba83.jpg

Even when I think cool this is the bottom the Jets can't disappoint me any more than the current level I still find myself more disappointed. 

Just now, Lurker89 said:

Depends....

I hope he doesn't go full bust but I'm less confident in him today than ever before.

If he goes full supernova and we get the first pick in the draft than I think we could argue it accelerates the rebuild.

164389962_hqdefault(1).jpg.6b89960346dbc61c3038fd23bf55ba83.jpg

Even when I think cool this is the bottom the Jets can't disappoint me any more than the current level I still find myself more disappointed. 

It will speed the rebuilt along if he busts so badly that they draft 1st.  Enter Trevor Lawrence.  Of course, all of this is predicated that Gase gets sh*tcanned.  We dont need another destroyed QB

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

It will speed the rebuilt along if he busts so badly that they draft 1st.  Enter Trevor Lawrence.  Of course, all of this is predicated that Gase gets sh*tcanned.  We dont need another destroyed QB

I don’t see them getting the number 1 pick. My guess is at some point Flacco comes in and wins a few games. 

This team is not as terrible as it looks with Mr Happy Feet behind center. 

• Thumb Down 1

if u are any kind of football fan u know that Darnold isnt the problem here, and if you think he is....well then you havent watched enough football. all that being said...have the jets already ****ed him up? its possible...but if thats the case...no way i want them to draft another QB top 5 and ruin him too.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

If Darnold was even an average QB the Jets would be well positioned to build around him with draft picks and cap space. 

If the Jets finish with a top 5 pick and Darnold continues to look like a bust the Jets will likely be forced to draft his replacement instead of another Stud Oline or WR.

Drafting another QB means we start the merry go round over again and likely looking at 2022-23 before competitive (if that QB hits and isn’t Darnold/Sanchez/Geno 4.0).

Personally I am done with these young QBs. Give me Jameis Winston and Andy Dalton and let them battle it out with James Morgan next year. 

I think it just depends on if the next QB busts or not. If Darnold busts but the next guy we draft Fields, Lawrence, Lance end up being a stud, then we've only sacrificed a premium 1st round pick. Which sucks, but in the big picture, knowing you have a Franchise QB isn't that bad, I don't think it delays the rebuild THAT much. There's a lot of young QBs that make an immediate impact and/or (in the right system and with the right team around them) can push for the playoffs within a couple of seasons- Mahomes, Allen, L.Jackson.

JD has set the team up in such a way that there is a ton of flexibility to fill holes via FA and bring in young talent via the draft. 

If the next QB busts and the Jets are once again stuck searching for a Franchise QB year after year then, well, thats a whole different story. 

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

if u are any kind of football fan u know that Darnold isnt the problem here, and if you think he is....well then you havent watched enough football. all that being said...have the jets already ****ed him up? its possible...but if thats the case...no way i want them to draft another QB top 5 and ruin him too.

he ruined him at USC? your dontg know wtf you are talking about. Sam bad habots cant be coached out of him.

ignore list.

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

he ruined him at USC? your dontg know wtf you are talking about. Sam bad habots cant be coached out of him.

ignore list.

Whatever Gase did, Sam certainly looked more comfortable as rookie. Those athletic plays we saw him make in college and in his first year haven’t been there since Gase took over. 

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I pretty much agree. 

And to be clear- Gase is the TOP problem (along with ownership- but thats an aside)

And I would blame JD for the roster deficiencies except I believe he has a clear plan for this team and the plan does not nec. include them winning as many games as possible this year. It's clear he has a long term vision of success for this team and Darnold may or may not even be a part of it. To be fair, he did rebuild the O-line to PROTECT Sam, something the Jets should have done as soon as  they drafted him.  

18 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

One year.

We have two first rounders next year to work our way up for a QB if necessary.

Then, we have an extra third and another first that will help get either playmakers and another pass rusher.

• Upvote 1

Probably 2-3 years. There’s still hope for him, but the problems are:

- He/we won’t show any progression this year because of Gase.

- We won’t have the draft amount of picks or draft as highly as we are going to in future years. It’s also a good QB class. So next draft is the perfect year to draft a new QB. 

- If we hold onto Sam next year after continuing to suck this year (projected hypothetical) with a new coaching staff, then he’s not tradable, he’s cuttable. Other gms/coaches will still look at him and blame Gase/Jets for him not developing and might trade a 2nd or 3rd for him in the offseason.

Let’s see if Sam can overcome. 

29 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

Jameis Winston is a turnover machine.  Dalton is washed up and was not that great even in his prime.  Better off hoping Darnold makes progress or drafting someone.  We already know those two guys are not good.

32 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

He's not going to bust and veteran QBs are a fast way to mediocrity.

• Upvote 2

This post presumes Sam is a bust.  There are some on this forum who still believe in him (though seemingly a lot fewer than prior to week 1). 

For the record, I am still very much a believer in Sam.  However, if he does end up busting, let's hope it's this year and he's a trainwreck.  If we pick #1 overall then we take Trevor and go from there.  I'd still 100% on-board with trying to draft/develop a young FQB, coaching staff be damned.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I pretty much agree. 

And to be clear- Gase is the TOP problem (along with ownership- but thats an aside)

And I would blame JD for the roster deficiencies except I believe he has a clear plan for this team and the plan does not nec. include them winning as many games as possible this year. It's clear he has a long term vision of success for this team and Darnold may or may not even be a part of it. To be fair, he did rebuild the O-line to PROTECT Sam, something the Jets should have done as soon as  they drafted him.  

Agree.  But they should have built the OL before drafting him.  We supposedly intentionally passed on QBs in the 2017 draft because we like the 2018 class better.  The time to build for a young QB was 2017.  We signed Kelvin Beachum to replace Ryan Clady and re-signed Wesley Johnson to replace Nick Mangold.  And then drafted two safeties.  And no OL.

Then in 2018 when we drafted Darnold, our big OL FA addition was Spencer Long.  And again, we ignored OL in the draft.  Then we sent a 21 year old rookie out there and asked him to succeed.

At least Douglas is making an attempt at rebuilding the OL.  Even if Darnold struggles all year, I wills till feel a lot better heading into next season if it appears that we have at least have a competent OL.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I pretty much agree. 

I think JD and anyone who likes football wants Sam to succeed. Kid is all football all the time (so is Gase)...problem is that sometimes that isnt enough and JD has 6 years to execute his plan...this is year 2.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agree.  But they should have built the OL before drafting him.  We supposedly intentionally passed on QBs in the 2017 draft because we like the 2018 class better.  The time to build for a young QB was 2017.  We signed Kelvin Beachum to replace Ryan Clady and re-signed Wesley Johnson to replace Nick Mangold.  And then drafted two safeties.  And no OL.

Then in 2018 when we drafted Darnold, our big OL FA addition was Spencer Long.  And again, we ignored OL in the draft.  Then we sent a 21 year old rookie out there and asked him to succeed.

At least Douglas is making an attempt at rebuilding the OL.  Even if Darnold struggles all year, I wills till feel a lot better heading into next season if it appears that we have at least have a competent OL.

Maccagnon came from a long line of football people who did not believe in investing high picks or resources into OL. Clearly a theory only working if you can pull out competent G and C's in the late rounds.

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

I think JD and anyone who likes football wants Sam to succeed. Kid is all football all the time (so is Gase)...problem is that sometimes that isnt enough and JD has 6 years to execute his plan...this is year 2.

Is it year 2? When does his contract expire?  He gets five years, plus part of the sixth?  He took over after the draft.  That alone was a reason for him to fight for the extra year on his deal.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is it year 2? When does his contract expire?  He gets five years, plus part of the sixth?  He took over after the draft.  That alone was a reason for him to fight for the extra year on his deal.

i think he got a 6 year deal...i think he will get at least 4 in the worst case...you'd think we would have to be in the playoffs by then. i know its a low bar for 2 years from now, but this is basically year 1 of the rebuild. big question is Gase...if u bring him next year after the jets are sub 500 this year....you are making a statement that he is your guy....and it sounds like most people think JD will not do that.

3 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Sam Darnold’s supporting cast for Sunday:
RB: Frank Gore, Kalen Ballage
WR: Breshad Perriman, Chris Hogan,  Braxton Berrios
TE: Chris Herndon

Darnold is a bust. 

sad michael scott GIF

supporting cast sucks....but u have to put some of the play on Darnold (this coming from a huge darnold fan). you cant look lost, no matter who is out there....in year 3...year 2 in the same offense.

53 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

ignore list.

ok buddy, go watch a game or two. Sam had some outstanding games in college with a team coming off sanctions playing high level competition with a crap OL. lets talk about Aaron Rodgers "bad habots" or Mahomes "bad habots".

I'm constantly amazed at the negativity on this site. It's like people are giddy about it and can't wait to talk about all the negative things after ONE game with a ton of new players, no preseason games, and a bunch of early injuries. Sam is going to be our QB for a long time - book it. He's even younger than Burrow.

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

You say "we" all the time but you don't mean "we", stop pretending, you turd.

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

I will let the mods make a decision on you. But the trolling is old. You are on your 5th user name for a reason I guess.

• Upvote 2

Well if darnold is a bust (which i do not think he is) then it should set back a proper rebuild about 3 years.

The ny jets should not pick trevor lawrence or any other QB high at all.

They should two drafts from now come out of it with a great oline, some great WR's a true number 1 back and a solid defense,

(And a coach who is not the worst coach in the league)

Then and only then should you draft a QB.

drafting a Qb next year will make no difference at all.

• Upvote 1