Why didn’t Douglas get Sam any weapons?

Rhg1084

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD is building through the draft and avoiding giving out bad contracts.  But he also appears, like Idzik, to have no urgency to be competitive if it means tying up longer term FA money that could bust.   Sign Adams to a long term deal, or two first round picks in the future?  Take the picks.  Darnold's rookie contract and experience, and Gase, appear to be potential collateral damage for this 2021 and beyond strategy.  

He's not tying up FA money because he knows we're not going anywhere this year. People tend to forget we almost didn't get JD because Dumb and Dumber didn't want to give him the six year contract. JD knew coming in that this garbage dump of a team was a multi-year project, and he wanted a long term contract so he would be here long enough to implement his plan (at least he appears to have a plan, which is more than we can say about anyone under the Johnson regime prior to JD). An expensive FA signing this year wouldn't get us to the playoffs, but saving the money for next year or '22 may get us not only to the playoffs, but hopefully deep into the playoffs.

That said, I'm beginning to think he may be "tanking for Trevor."

• Post of the Week 3

Build from the inside out.  First order of business was the offensive line.  It was the worst in the league.  He drafted a LT with 1st over all and replaced C, RT and G as well.  Line before skill. 

I do still think JD should have paid Robbie Anderson.  It was a mistake not to do so.  Robbie has the tools and they had the cash.

Foolish...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, viffer said:

He's not tying up FA money because he knows we're not going anywhere this year. People tend to forget we almost didn't get JD because Dumb and Dumber didn't want to give him the six year contract. JD knew coming in that this garbage dump of a team was a multi-year project, and he wanted a long term contract so he would be here long enough to implement his plan (at least he appears to have a plan, which is more than we can say about anyone under the Johnson regime prior to JD). An expensive FA signing this year wouldn't get us to the playoffs, but saving the money for next year or '22 may get us not only to the playoffs, but hopefully deep into the playoffs.

That said, I'm beginning to think he may be "tanking for Trevor."

He couldn’t say this publicly but now you have to entertain the theory.  He’s got major draft capital next year.  Look at the nfl, how many teams are going to suck who also are set to replace qbs, not many.  Jax, wash, colts and panthers seem to be the top teams looking for qbs this offseason.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

It's simple.

Joe does not believe Sam is the future.  

Darnold is a placeholder while he rebuilds the offense through the draft. He is the proverbial Sacrificial lamb.

JD seems to be doing what smart GM's have figured out.  Build your offense first, then bring in your young QB.

If this weren’t the jets and you were watching another team, say, Jacksonville do this, this would be the logical conclusion.

I dont think we can keep turning the blame away from Sam.

A good QB can make mediocre WRs look great.

JD focused on the O-Line to give Darnold the protection he needed to do his job. O-Line is vastly improved yet Darnold is still average at best. Plus JD brought in some proven weapons.

Chris Hogan has had success in this league

Perriman looked like an All Pro in the last few games of the previous season.

Drafted a WR that many ppl had pegged as a 1st round talent.

Add to the fact that Herndon and Crowder have both been productive.

This says more about the QB than the Front office.  I know the thought of restarting the long search for a franchise QB hurts... but it may be reality.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

What’s the problem this is what a plurality of fans wanted. Don’t waste money on an OL until you have a QB worth protecting. Don’t spent money on skill positions until you have a protected QB to throw to them. Don’t waste money on a defense until you have an offense that can win games. 

JD is doing sequential team building because apparently the concept of improving pieces whenever you have the opportunity regardless of the order is a foreign concept.

• Upvote 1

JD signed a 6 year deal for a reason. The state of the roster was a disaster. This is a complete teardown, rebuild operation but we have a QB on his rookie deal so it makes things awkward since we are still "evaluating him", but at this rate that evaluation is pretty obvious that he won't be the guy long term.

JD isn't handing out longer term bad contracts like Mac, and is trying to build a foundation for the team's long term success.

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this is a great question 

either 

1) what Manish said about the Johnson's pulling the purse strings tight this year is true 

2) JD is purposefully hanging Gase and Darnold out to dry, as he picked neither of them and has no interest in extending either 

it's that simple 

option 3) JD is dumb and doesn't understand football.  I don't think is a real choice. JD is smart. There's no way he realistically  believed Chris Hogan would be enough to win games. 

I think it’s 2. He’s giving enough rope to Gase to hang himself. If jets go 4-12 and this sh!tshow continues, Gase will be gone. JD can then get his coach with plenty of cap space and draft picks. Would be an attractive job I think, relatively.

He knew he was not going to have the 2nd coming of Mike Martz Rams but the plan was to have 3 guys that know the system, Crowder, Berrios, V Smith, he added Perriman, was getting Herndon back, also had Bell who catches out of the backfield. 

How the hell do you plan for injuries to Mims, Smith, Crowder & Bell? Its injuries stupid! This team has been bitten by the injury bug 2 years going now. 

34 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The recent draft was a deep receiver class. They could have drafted an additional receiver in the 3rd or 4th round. 

If you believe in your QB, which the Jets tell us they do, then signing a FA receiver who can play and help the QB out isn't a bad contract in my opinion. The QB needs help in order to develop. If he's your guy, get him help. 

If we're rebuilding and they think they have the QB in place, why did we need Pierre Desir at $5.5 million for 1 year to play CB for example? Go get Sam another receiver. 

Sure.  I probably would have drafted another WR too.  But, I'm not going to pretend like it would have paid dividends in week 2 of year one.

Also, every team believes in their QB, until they don't.

• Upvote 1

Joe D held out for a 6th year because he knew he was tearing it all down. If Sam was Joe D's guy he would be on the phones right now trying to trade for WR help, we've got $30+mil in cap space and a ton of picks it's painfully obvious. We're entering into a complete rebuild with Joe D 

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

I dont think we can keep turning the blame away from Sam.

A good QB can make mediocre WRs look great.

JD focused on the O-Line to give Darnold the protection he needed to do his job. O-Line is vastly improved yet Darnold is still average at best. Plus JD brought in some proven weapons.

Chris Hogan has had success in this league

Perriman looked like an All Pro in the last few games of the previous season.

Drafted a WR that many ppl had pegged as a 1st round talent.

Add to the fact that Herndon and Crowder have both been productive.

This says more about the QB than the Front office.  I know the thought of restarting the long search for a franchise QB hurts... but it may be reality.

Ding ding ding good QBs make their own weapons not the other way around.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Joe D held out for a 6th year because he knew he was tearing it all down. If Sam was Joe D's guy he would be on the phones right now trying to trade for WR help, we've got $30+mil in cap space and a ton of picks it's painfully obvious. We're entering into a complete rebuild with Joe D 

Yeah and we’re getting one of the top 2 qbs also.

it is a joke and how can you evaluate sam with nothing around him

lots of teams engaged in rebuild know you have to give your young qb at least one legit  weapon

look around the league at the young qbs and their team gave them weapons and these are all teams early in rebuilds.

giants-tate slayton engram sheppard to go along with barkely

browns-odell landry to go along with chubb and hunt

cardinals-brought in the god himself in Nuke to go with kirk and old man fitz 

bills-brought in my main man diggs to along with brown and beasley and they have decent young rb too

bengals-their rookie has some nice options aj green boyd tate ross to go with mixon

panthers-brought in robby a to help out bridgewater who has superstar cmac

I could go on but these are all rebuilds and teams know they need to get their qb talent and surround their young qb with talent to build a core in a pass driven league

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Ding ding ding good QBs make their own weapons not the other way around.

that is nonsense with the exception of brady

you take hopkins julio thomas adams and bring them to any team and right way that qb is light  years better

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

that is nonsense with the exception of brady

you take hopkins julio thomas adams and bring them to any team and right way that qb is light  years better

You saying it doesn’t make a so. I just thought of 30 examples. But also not interested in writing them all out. Doesn’t bother me when I hear some drunk in an alley arguing the sky is orange.

It's been one week fellas.

OL and WR (working with QB) are probably the units that are hurt the most with the minimal pre-season work.

The O-line was remarkably better than you'd expect with 5 new starters and a rookie LT - by week 5 I bet we're all very happy with that group.

The WR group could be adequate minus the injuries, but they'd still need time to gel.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

He made a “lateral” move I guess in replacing Robby with Perriman. Then was he really counting on a 2nd round rookie to come in and produce right away. Then he signs 100 year old Frank Gore. 

there were other guys available at running back and wide receiver he could’ve added. 

The league is laughing at us right now at the roster we’re trotting out there on Sunday.

Gore was a good pickup. He is going to show Perrine how to play the game 

I agree they should have gotten someone along with Mims. 

The league has been laughing at us for quite a while now

44 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Yeah I heard the same sh*t when we drafted Sam. We'll ruin whatever poor bastard we draft 

Especially if the front office buys into the preposterous notion espoused by some that your WRs are interchangeable and don't actually matter as long as the QB is good. 

39 minutes ago, jgb said:

You saying it doesn’t make a so. I just thought of 30 examples. But also not interested in writing them all out. Doesn’t bother me when I hear some drunk in an alley arguing the sky is orange.

so why are all of the teams in rebuilds bringing in stud wrs to help their young qbs when the qb makes the wr?

I mean why spend money on Hopkins if you are AZ when Murray could make any qb great

why did the bills bring in diggs?

why did the boys bring in cooper when they did

why did the browns bring in Landry and OBJ

teams that want their qbs to have the best chance to succeed bring in weapons to help him

• Upvote 4