Rhg1084

Why didn’t Douglas get Sam any weapons?

When you consider we played the Bills twice last season, and neither offensive performance was meaningfully better than last weeks, I'm not sure the backslide is all that dramatic.

The line is better, and guys are hurt.  We're also not playing the 6 worst defenses (one, the Dolphins, twice) in the NFL this season, so odds are they're going to look worse.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I like Douglas and I think he knows what he's doing. But this is an indictment on him. He's building up draft picks for the future but his inability to help Sam in the present is a mistake. He added lineman but he needed to give him receivers.

It's classic Jets. Take a position of weakness, add 1 guy to it, and then act like you've fixed it. The Jets should have spent two picks in the first 4 rounds of this draft on receivers, or signed an additional free agent. You have teams like the Rams and Saints who can never add enough receivers. I wonder why...they get it.

They did something similar in 2014 when our receiving corps was shot. They signed Eric Decker and acted like that was enough. He got hurt and we were left with nothing for a part of the season lol.

They do stuff like this all the time. 

Are they acting like they fixed it?

I think they're acknowledging they can't fix it in one season, and not adding bad contracts that will be a burden down the line.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

You don't have to add bad contracts to fix a position. You could add players on good contracts that produce to fix the position.

Not giving the young QB weapons to throw to is inexcusable. 

Most FA contracts are bad contracts.

They added Perimann and Mims, and my guess is, we'd have been looking WR in the 1st this year if we didn't need to replace the QB.  Two guys got hurt.  It happens.

34 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The recent draft was a deep receiver class. They could have drafted an additional receiver in the 3rd or 4th round. 

If you believe in your QB, which the Jets tell us they do, then signing a FA receiver who can play and help the QB out isn't a bad contract in my opinion. The QB needs help in order to develop. If he's your guy, get him help. 

If we're rebuilding and they think they have the QB in place, why did we need Pierre Desir at $5.5 million for 1 year to play CB for example? Go get Sam another receiver. 

Sure.  I probably would have drafted another WR too.  But, I'm not going to pretend like it would have paid dividends in week 2 of year one.

Also, every team believes in their QB, until they don't.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company