Why didn’t Douglas get Sam any weapons?

Rhg1084

On 9/18/2020 at 11:49 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

I like Douglas and I think he knows what he's doing. But this is an indictment on him. He's building up draft picks for the future but his inability to help Sam in the present is a mistake. He added lineman but he needed to give him receivers.

It's classic Jets. Take a position of weakness, add 1 guy to it, and then act like you've fixed it. The Jets should have spent two picks in the first 4 rounds of this draft on receivers, or signed an additional free agent. You have teams like the Rams and Saints who can never add enough receivers. I wonder why...they get it.

They do stuff like this all the time. 

I have been saying more or less the same since the draft.  With the receivers available, I still can't believe we only came away with one.  As if injuries are not a thing.  If ever there was a time to double dip it was the 2020 draft.  There was still quality wr talent as late as the 6th round.  I wanted Robby resigned but he apparently didn't want to be here so I can't be too upset.  I'm okay with the Perriman signing but as you mentioned, he should have been more aggressive in getting Sam additional weapons, btw Josh Doctson, doesn't count.    

On 9/18/2020 at 11:58 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

Because he wants to build through the draft and not give out a bunch of bad contracts like the Leveon Bell and CJ Mosley deals.

There's a reason why everyone was on one year deals. He's not commiting to anyone.

The only real question worth asking is "does Douglas really like/believe in Darnold." Because it sure feels like he punted on being competitive in 2020 while looking at the long term full well knowing this was a big sink or swim year for Darnold.

So why didn't he take more than one receiver in this receiver rich draft?  Any way you slice it, this is Sams's third season, we really need to see him take that next step so you give him weapons to help him do it.  It really isn't that complicated.      

On 9/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, bitonti said:

this is a great question 

either 

1) what Manish said about the Johnson's pulling the purse strings tight this year is true 

2) JD is purposefully hanging Gase and Darnold out to dry, as he picked neither of them and has no interest in extending either 

it's that simple 

option 3) JD is dumb and doesn't understand football.  I don't think is a real choice. JD is smart. There's no way he realistically  believed Chris Hogan would be enough to win games. 

Leaning a little towards option 1, leaning hard on option 2 but on Gase only. 

I understand your logic on option 2, that's a viable sentiment; but I can't see how wanting to see the Darnold part of the equation, meaning JD hoping he outright fails, when the QB is the success hub of any team, could do anything positive for Joe Douglas' future continued employment here.

I'm just gonna say it. Unless Sam fails - I mean fails so badly as in David Carr/Ryan Leaf/Heath Schuler level fail with not one scintilla or glimmer of hope ever materializing - I will be really pissed off if Sam is on the trading block anytime soon. That is just lunacy to me. He will make it elsewhere. It's just this stupid fckning franchise, and it needs to change 50 years ago.

I think this falls just as much on Douglas as on Darnold at this juncture, but a good portion felt the fear, in the dark, in the night, staring into the blackness at the bedroom ceiling, that the Jets would ruin Sam, which is not unfounded. Sam has to shake off what's ailing him like he shook off Bates and start showing up in blocks instead of in flashes. I'm not faithless yet, like I am in almost every other area of my personal and spiritual life, lol. 

I already know this season is a yawning, gaping, bottomless sh*thole. It's up to Joe Douglas to show me the money in 2021, and if he starts shifting blame where it doesn't belong, fck him, too. 

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

So why didn't he take more than one receiver in this receiver rich draft?  Any way you slice it, this is Sams's third season, we really need to see him take that next step so you give him weapons to help him do it.  It really isn't that complicated.      

Well that plays to my last point -- it makes you wonder how much Douglas believes in Sam and thinks supporting him at all costs is really the first priority of the franchise.

I think it's possible he's not a huge believer in Sam and doesn't want to tie up assets propping up a QB he doesn't see as the long term guy.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nope.  I "slagged" Anderlols, and will continue to.  He's very very average.  He's a #2, not a #1.  He wasn't and isn't worth what he was asking for. 

And yet JD still offered as much as Carolina (reportedly), and he choose to walk.  Just like Kirk Cousins, we tried, he choose elsewhere.  HE CHOSE.

fair dinkum

On 9/18/2020 at 11:45 AM, Rhg1084 said:

He made a “lateral” move I guess in replacing Robby with Perriman. Then was he really counting on a 2nd round rookie to come in and produce right away. Then he signs 100 year old Frank Gore. 

there were other guys available at running back and wide receiver he could’ve added. 

The league is laughing at us right now at the roster we’re trotting out there on Sunday.

I don’t think anyone is taking the trouble to bother laughing at us. 

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well that plays to my last point -- it makes you wonder how much Douglas believes in Sam and thinks supporting him at all costs is really the first priority of the franchise.

I think it's possible he's not a huge believer in Sam and doesn't want to tie up assets propping up a QB he doesn't see as the long term guy.

“Irregardless” - we’d then have good receivers in the rosters. Such an illogical thought process. The QB comes along much less frequently. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Because the Jets has almost 50MM of cap space tied up to Enunwa, Bellamy, Mosley, Bell, and Henry Anderson?

Because the 2019 draft was a disaster?

The 2019 offseason set the rebuild back a few years. You can’t blame JD for that. 

We have $35 million in cap space currently

• Upvote 1

Leading up to the season the Jets were actually tight on cap, and weapons were overpriced.  JD plays the value game hard. 

cutting Winters, Mosley and Doctson opting out and trading Adams opened space.  Injuries really hurt the talent base  

if JD signed a Robby and drafted a Wr instead of Morgan we would feel better off. 

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

A1951080-4B1E-4A4D-880E-738DC4B48C63.jpeg

Prediction (and it doesn't require an IQ over 80)....when all is said and done they will be more hated than the Wilpons.

I'll say it again, initially when I heard "someone from the Johnson & Johnson family" was buying the Jets I was ecstatic because I thought that now no expense would be spared to bring in the "best".  I just didn't know that the Jets were getting the "Black Sheep" of the family, the rest with their Harvard diplomas wanted them as far away from their corporation as possible, and for good reason, as you now see season after miserable Jet season.

I realize that no one with any real NFL credibility wants to work for the Jets, can't blame them, Douglas is the first in awhile and he wouldn't have come without 6 years, and I get it.  The guys who sign the checks are idiots, the roster is almost always bottom of the barrel, you could uproot your family and have to do it again sooner than you want.

But the worst part, to me at least, is these guys are f**kin cheap, same as the Wilpons, and at least the Wilpons had somewhat of an excuse getting mixed up with Madoff.  But these guys will keep severely incompetent FO people around for multiple years after all the fans know they have to go for the simple reason that they don't want to pay 2 contracts simultaneously.

Darnold, if he is not ruined already is about to be, he is going to take some more vicious beatings this years even if his OL is somewhat improved from 2019's 3rd Worst in NFL History....he has the worst group of "skill" position players in the NFL.

You'd think that when the Johnson's count their pennies they'd have a problem paying Gase's flunky the little King of Queens guy his salary.  Are they serious? THAT is one of the guy's "coaching up" Sam?  The whole organization makes so little sense I sometimes think the owners are really just Sadists...."we'll have this little King of Queens guy be a coach hahahaha....and we won't give the young QB an OL, a running  game or a WR that can get any separation hahhaha...what's that? Anderson can get separation? Get rid of him hahahhaha"

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Prediction (and it doesn't require an IQ over 80)....when all is said and done they will be more hated than the Wilpons.

I'll say it again, initially when I heard "someone from the Johnson & Johnson family" was buying the Jets I was ecstatic because I thought that now no expense would be spared to bring in the "best".  I just didn't know that the Jets were getting the "Black Sheep" of the family, the rest with their Harvard diplomas wanted them as far away from their corporation as possible, and for good reason, as you now see season after miserable Jet season.

I realize that no one with any real NFL credibility wants to work for the Jets, can't blame them, Douglas is the first in awhile and he wouldn't have come without 6 years, and I get it.  The guys who sign the checks are idiots, the roster is almost always bottom of the barrel, you could uproot your family and have to do it again sooner than you want.

But the worst part, to me at least, is these guys are f**kin cheap, same as the Wilpons, and at least the Wilpons had somewhat of an excuse getting mixed up with Madoff.  But these guys will keep severely incompetent FO people around for multiple years after all the fans know they have to go for the simple reason that they don't want to pay 2 contracts simultaneously.

Darnold, if he is not ruined already is about to be, he is going to take some more vicious beatings this years even if his OL is somewhat improved from 2019's 3rd Worst in NFL History....he has the worst group of "skill" position players in the NFL.

You'd think that when the Johnson's count their pennies they'd have a problem paying Gase's flunky the little King of Queens guy his salary.  Are they serious? THAT is one of the guy's "coaching up" Sam?  The whole organization makes so little sense I sometimes think the owners are really just Sadists...."we'll have this little King of Queens guy be a coach hahahaha....and we won't give the young QB an OL, a running  game or a WR that can get any separation hahhaha...what's that? Anderson can get separation? Get rid of him hahahhaha"

The Johnsons are worse than the Wilpons.  

What you as jets fans need to understand is WR has not been a priority of this franchise for 25 years.  25 years ago was the last time we used a top 10 draft pick on WR

since then we have literally gone into seasons with Chaz Schilens as the de facto #1 WR

Even during our run with “Mangini’s players” — our 3 starting WRs one was an ok slot receiver (Cotchery) and the other 2 were problem child castoffs we traded for with middle round picks

the jets don’t care about the WR position and it doesn’t matter who the coach and gm are the Johnsons are the real GM

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The Johnsons are worse than the Wilpons.  

I know.  They're very tight with a dollar.

Really a shame that they don't just sell the team, take their couple of billion that the Jets have appreciated to, by mostly just being a franchise that has NY in front of their name.  Pro sports is the ONLY business where you can have pure morons as owners and not only not go out of business but have just the opposite happen.

Take the billions and stick it.  If they care so much about money and that is the be all end all at their age, why even own a team? 

At this point I'm actually rooting for only 2 things.  One is that Sam Darnold plays as well as possible and does not get hurt and that they lose every game so it gets to the point where every back page and the entire internet is lit up and letting the Johnson's know how the Jet fan base feels.  They are ions away from the playoffs, why root for 2-3 wins?

On 9/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, Rhg1084 said:

He made a “lateral” move I guess in replacing Robby with Perriman. Then was he really counting on a 2nd round rookie to come in and produce right away. Then he signs 100 year old Frank Gore. 

there were other guys available at running back and wide receiver he could’ve added. 

The league is laughing at us right now at the roster we’re trotting out there on Sunday.

Not sure we can say Robby to Perriman was a lateral move based on Perriman having five good games last season.  Robby has been a better player from day 1 and is now playing with an up and coming head coach.  Expect Robby to finally go over 1,000 yards this season as long as he and Teddy stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jetophile said:

Leaning a little towards option 1, leaning hard on option 2 but on Gase only. 

I understand your logic on option 2, that's a viable sentiment; but I can't see how wanting to see the Darnold part of the equation, meaning JD hoping he outright fails, when the QB is the success hub of any team, could do anything positive for Joe Douglas' future continued employment here.

I'm just gonna say it. Unless Sam fails - I mean fails so badly as in David Carr/Ryan Leaf/Heath Schuler level fail with not one scintilla or glimmer of hope ever materializing - I will be really pissed off if Sam is on the trading block anytime soon. That is just lunacy to me. He will make it elsewhere. It's just this stupid fckning franchise, and it needs to change 50 years ago.

I think this falls just as much on Douglas as on Darnold at this juncture, but a good portion felt the fear, in the dark, in the night, staring into the blackness at the bedroom ceiling, that the Jets would ruin Sam, which is not unfounded. Sam has to shake off what's ailing him like he shook off Bates and start showing up in blocks instead of in flashes. I'm not faithless yet, like I am in almost every other area of my personal and spiritual life, lol. 

I already know this season is a yawning, gaping, bottomless sh*thole. It's up to Joe Douglas to show me the money in 2021, and if he starts shifting blame where it doesn't belong, fck him, too. 

We wont trade Sam ...

... before we know what we have in Trevor.

smart the simpsons GIF