Jump to content
hamat711

Is Joe Douglas a good gm?

Recommended Posts

He made all the easy and easy moves, but I haven't seen him take any risks. 

 

He started a rebuild during a pivotal year for his young QB.

Joe Douglas was unable to attract any A tier or B tier Free agents. Instead of getting known commodities to make the roster better now, he made a bunch of gambles on less proven players.

He is now responsible for the worst skill group in the NFL. This was likely true even before the injuries.

Joe Douglas' job is player management. Under Douglas' management, Jamal Adams became discontent. Even if the haul for Adams was amazing, the circumstances that lead to the trade just can't be ignored.

Kelechi Osemele paved the way for a huge day for the KC RB. He might still be a good player who was injured. He would be a clear upgrade over Roten or Lewis. Cutting Osemele might be a mistake.

The Kalil signing was awful.

 

Just looking at the contracts and players he signed this year, it seems like he is preparing for life after Gase and Darnold are gone.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 7
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from a matter of self preservation it is genius -you set it all up by saying it is a process that will take a few years-then your team can sh*t the bed and you get a pass

I would like to see progress each year with the talent on the roster getting better each year not worse-

It is too early to judge him in totality but we lost guys and replaced them with worse guys and the roster is worse than last year(who knew that would be possible)

If he does not hit a home run on the picks from the Adams trade he will prove to be just another bad gm in the line of other bad gms-a trade like that you need to hit home runs. 

So far there is not one contact or fa that he has done that has given me that warm fuzzy feeling

the only plus about corona is I am not paying to see this garbage 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Time will tell.

I feel good about him as our GM.  After years of neglect he finally attmpted to rebuild the OL in one offseason.  I would have liked to see him do more at the WR position, but his first two draf tpicks were OT & WR, two biggest areas of need on the offense.  He got great value in trades of Jamal and last year Leo.  He has made some missteps but he seems to have a long term vision for the team,  This year may be rough, but I think we have a solid professional in charge.

But considering that his first draft class has only played one game, and many of his draftees are hurt.  I think it is premaute to make a defnitive statement.  But I am optimistic.

 

Agreed with your positive points.  And if his biggest gafs are missing on FA he signs for 1 year and/or not reaching for need, I can live with it even though my approach would have differed.  Becton looks outstanding in a very small sample size but no real reason to think that's not him.  If Mims and Perrine hit, that's huge for our offense.  We just havent be able to see them.If by somehow Davis and Zuniga hit, then we're really have a little something going, even if just one of them hit, that's a big injection on his first draft. 

 

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody he’s picked up or drafted is basically hurt.

Doctson opted out for no reason, he’d probably be on the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Douglas has done a horrible job with the WR's. Why not bring back DT who is familiar with Darnold? Should of paid Robbie and kept him - maybe that was out of his control not sure. Should of drafted 2 or more WR's. Should of brought in a free agent this week. He's brings in Montcrief who's injured before he sees the field. Should of brought in a whole new training crew - but we promoted a trainer from a horrible training crew. He has done a few good things but Douglas has not put us in a position to win games. I give him a "C" rating as GM so far.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed with your positive points.  And if his biggest gafs are missing on FA he signs for 1 year and/or not reaching for need, I can live with it even though my approach would have differed.  Becton looks outstanding in a very small sample size but no real reason to think that's not him.  If Mims and Perrine hit, that's huge for our offense.  We just havent be able to see them.If by somehow Davis and Zuniga hit, then we're really have a little something going, even if just one of them hit, that's a big injection on his first draft. 

 

 

Bowles always played the veterans. This season has got to be about the youngsters. Too bad 4 of them are injured but luckily none are long term. 
We need to find out if Mims, Perine. Clark & Zuniga can play. Add Huff & Hall, maybe even Barrios in the slot? If Mims turns out to be a stud & we sign Robinson or Juju, we can even move on from Crowder? 
This season for me is all about watching these young guys develop & see what we got filled heading into 2021. My biggest disappointment was Sam & the defense Sunday. Josh Allen was having way too much fun & looked like the fastest kid playing tag. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More plausible: the entire team is hurt to the point they can’t play or the Jets are susceptible to being taken advantage of by their own personnel?
Gase is obviously taking advantage of clueless ownership. Players are probably doing the same. The entire draft class not playing aside from Becton is insane. What was the scouting process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He didn't spend money on big F/As and half of his draft class is on the IR. It's too early to tell what he is. If he's trotting this offense out there to see if Darnold can overcome adversity like @JiF suggested, then he's a shmuck. We're not going to be a competitive team until at least 2022 at this rate so let's all buckle up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

He made all the easy and easy moves, but I haven't seen him take any risks. 

 

He started a rebuild during a pivotal year for his young QB.

Joe Douglas was unable to attract any A tier or B tier Free agents. Instead of getting known commodities to make the roster better now, he made a bunch of gambles on less proven players.

He is now responsible for the worst skill group in the NFL. This was likely true even before the injuries.

Joe Douglas' job is player management. Under Douglas' management, Jamal Adams became discontent. Even if the haul for Adams was amazing, the circumstances that lead to the trade just can't be ignored.

Kelechi Osemele paved the way for a huge day for the KC RB. He might still be a good player who was injured. He would be a clear upgrade over Roten or Lewis. Cutting Osemele might be a mistake.

The Kalil signing was awful.

 

Just looking at the contracts and players he signed this year, it seems like he is preparing for life after Gase and Darnold are gone.

He's already had 1 game where he's had (some of his) draft picks play. Plus trading Jamal Adams was easy.

It's time to fire him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really have no idea if he's a good GM or not. 

What we know about him is...

1) He can tear down a team

2) He has a plan

What we don't know is...

1) Can he build a team

2) Can he properly evaluate talent

We know he can do is the easy part - we'll soon find out if he can do the hard part.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think his plan is to accumulate draft picks and build a core of players through the draft. While he's doing that he'll sign some lower level FA's to try and help Sam in the present and maybe they'll stick around if they perform.

Once he builds that core, I think you'll see him then be more aggressive in spending on Free Agents.

My issue is I now have serious concerns about the QB. Becton looks like a good pick and it would be nice to see Mims and Perrine get on the field ASAP. 

I think he knows what he's doing and how to build a team. But I think he's given his QB little to work with in the short term.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Douglas, and do not want him fired, but I’m beyond pissed off over the skill position players he put out there this season, and said so before the season started. Completely unacceptable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 Years Ago, Apollo 11 Launched to the Moon: A Look Back at the Epic Day |  Space

 

do yo think this moon landing is going well?

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been 1 game already and he hasn't won the Superbowl yet. 

Fire the bum!

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

- He made it very clear that his primary objective was to rebuild the offensive line, and he took meaningful steps to do so.  As to the OP's claim that he doesn't take risks, Becton was a risk.  Wirfs was the chalk pick, and who most of the board wanted.

- He traded Adams.  Which means, he didn't pay a 15M+ SS, and he didn't do what was best for the Jets marketing dept.  He also got a good return for it.

- He didn't sign any bad contracts.  No Trumaines, No Bells, No Moselys.  He didn't give anyone a golden parachute.

I certainly understand the frustration of some fans that more wasn't done.  But, I don't know how many good moves he left on the table.  Maybe another WR over Morgan?  Sure, but how much would that player really be contributing year 1?

- I don't think choosing between two top tackles is that risky.

- I understand positional value and not signing Adams, but who are the Jets saving all this cap space for anyway? Adams might be a luxury piece, but the Jets could afford that luxury because they have nobody else to pay.

- For the most part I agree with you except for Fant, but Fant could still pan out. He gave C Tier players C Tier salaries. The problem is, most of those players will likely need to be replaced in the next two years such as Perriman, Roten and Lewis. It seems like those players are just placeholders for when he blows it up again when he gets a new Coach. Not a bad plan since he was stuck with Gase, but it doesn't seem fair to Darnold.

- As I said before, I think he made the easy moves, but he failed to make aggressive decisions. He has had the job for over a year, and the WR position went from bottom 5 to worst in the league under his watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" Is Joe Douglas a good gm ? "..

...i hope so. too early to tell. good question.. 2 or 3 yrs from now  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s certainly not under any pressure yet- I can tell you that. Everyone around the league seems to think he has the pedigree. So he can live off that for quite awhile. I’m happy he addressed the line- not so happy he didn’t do more to help his young quarterback with players who can actually contribute a little. Time will tell. 
 

Chances are....... he’s probably not. Historically that’s been the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiF said:

I think it's quite clear he sees this as a 2-3 year plan and is fine with losing and moving on from Gase and Darnold.  1 year contracts, trading Jamal,  1 WR in the draft, etc.  We're trotting out Hogan, Perriman and Berrios on Sat. and there is no sign of a veteran coming in or a trade, etc.  It's very reminiscent of being fine with Luke Faulk.  He's good with losing.

My feel right now is, he's testing Sam to see if he can overcome adversity, stay healthy an entire year and convince JD he's the guy.  Otherwise, JD is taking a QB, hopefully Fields and using his an abundance of picks to build around him.  

The one thing that is looking very promising is, Becton looks to be the best player on this team.  

Becton produces pancakes and pancakes produce smiles! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

- I don't think choosing between two top tackles is that risky.

- I understand positional value and not signing Adams, but who are the Jets saving all this cap space for anyway? Adams might be a luxury piece, but the Jets could afford that luxury because they have nobody else to pay.

- For the most part I agree with you except for Fant, but Fant could still pan out. He gave C Tier players C Tier salaries. The problem is, most of those players will likely need to be replaced in the next two years such as Perriman, Roten and Lewis. It seems like those players are just placeholders for when he blows it up again when he gets a new Coach. Not a bad plan since he was stuck with Gase, but it doesn't seem fair to Darnold.

- As I said before, I think he made the easy moves, but he failed to make aggressive decisions. He has had the job for over a year, and the WR position went from bottom 5 to worst in the league under his watch. 

- I don't know how much risk you wanted him to take?  Is it just risk for risk's sake?  Or is there something you think he should have done?

- In part, you wanted to save money to pay Darnold, but that's looking like not such a good idea.  Also, the hope is, with the team being as bad as it is, the return for Adams can contribute more towards a championship than Adams himself will.  In 3 years, he hasn't moved the needle an inch.

- I think the short term, inexpensive deals are exactly what the team needs.  We want to replace all these players in the next two years.  With draft picks.  Not with other overpriced free agents.  We're building a team from the ground up.  Macc left the cupboards completely bare, so there's a ton of work to be done.  But, lets not lock ourselves into things we don't actually want because we have holes.  I don't think anything needs to be re-blown-up.  You just need to draft well going forwards.  Don't care about what's "fair" to Darnold.  Darnold needs to prove himself.  This isn't the Packers not taking a WR for Rodgers.  Darnold hasn't proven he's not a bottom 25% QB to date.

- I don't think many of these "aggressive decisions" would be in the teams long term best interest.  We also don't know about hte WR position, as we're only seeing the injured version.  On paper, it isn't any worse.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Becton produces pancakes and pancakes produce smiles! 

Joe Douglas is obviously a waffle guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Joe Douglas is obviously a waffle guy.

Why pick one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the good GMs make lots of mistakes.  JD has already made obvious mistakes (like Kalil).

A GM should be judged on their record, ultimately.  Maybe All Pros, etc. if the coach is no good.

JD inherited a poop pile.  

I would judge JD on his record, starting next year.  He basically gets 2 off seasons to turn the roster around.   I think now is too early.  I think that is the deal he has with the Johnsons.  Do your best in the draft and filling holes cheaply, short term, and see how Gase and Darnold do with that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hamat711 said:

He made all the easy and easy moves, but I haven't seen him take any risks. 

 

He started a rebuild during a pivotal year for his young QB.

Joe Douglas was unable to attract any A tier or B tier Free agents. Instead of getting known commodities to make the roster better now, he made a bunch of gambles on less proven players.

He is now responsible for the worst skill group in the NFL. This was likely true even before the injuries.

Joe Douglas' job is player management. Under Douglas' management, Jamal Adams became discontent. Even if the haul for Adams was amazing, the circumstances that lead to the trade just can't be ignored.

Kelechi Osemele paved the way for a huge day for the KC RB. He might still be a good player who was injured. He would be a clear upgrade over Roten or Lewis. Cutting Osemele might be a mistake.

The Kalil signing was awful.

 

Just looking at the contracts and players he signed this year, it seems like he is preparing for life after Gase and Darnold are gone.

 

 

Its way too early to tell, but most certainly, based on his moves, there is NO desire to win now.  I think its  a shame what he has done to Sam, only signing third-tier FAs for the OL and two castoffs at WR, then only drafting one.  I cannot remember a team having NO WRs for their developing QB, except maybe the Texans who really threw David Carr to the wolves and possibly destroyed a promising career.

After Ernie Acorsi drafted Elisha, even though he already had a WR1 in Toomer and a WR2 in Hillard, he stated he wanted a WR1 who would develop with Eli so let Hillard leave in FA and traded for Plaxico (who worked out great until he shot himself).

I know most of you are adamant that JD has done all the right things - but I am sorry - I firmly disagree - this is NO way to treat a young developing QB, especially one that only had two years of college experience.

Having said all that, the only way you could say JD has done a great job is if his plan all along was to tank this season in order to have a shot at Trevor, otherwise, none of what he did makes a whole lotta sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiF said:

I think it's quite clear he sees this as a 2-3 year plan and is fine with losing and moving on from Gase and Darnold.  1 year contracts, trading Jamal,  1 WR in the draft, etc.  We're trotting out Hogan, Perriman and Berrios on Sat. and there is no sign of a veteran coming in or a trade, etc.  It's very reminiscent of being fine with Luke Faulk.  He's good with losing.

My feel right now is, he's testing Sam to see if he can overcome adversity, stay healthy an entire year and convince JD he's the guy.  Otherwise, JD is taking a QB, hopefully Fields and using his an abundance of picks to build around him.  

The one thing that is looking very promising is, Becton looks to be the best player on this team.  

I hear ya. Makes what Lynch and Shanahan have done with the 49ers even more impressive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maccagnan came here, had a robust first offseason, everyone loved his drafting of Leo Williams and the trade for Bradon Marshall.  Jets win in 2015, Macc is named NFL GM of the Year.   Two or three years later everyone hates him.

Sam Darnold is drafted in 2018, thrown into the fire, has some ups and downs, is counseled by Josh McCown, comes back after a midseason injury to finish the year strong, great games against Green Bay, etc. and everyone is convinced the Jets have found their QB.  Two or three years later there's a sizable group of people who feel it may be time to move on from him.

Joe Douglas is hired in 2019, does his best without having a Draft or FA period in his first year, people love his press conferences and philosophies.  He seems to have a strong 2020 FA period, gets rid of some contractual dead weight, gets more for Jamal Adams than some thought, drafts the positions fans want, etc.  His future looks bright.  I give him two years.  See above.  We'll hate the guy by 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JiF said:

I think it's quite clear he sees this as a 2-3 year plan and is fine with losing and moving on from Gase and Darnold.  1 year contracts, trading Jamal,  1 WR in the draft, etc.  We're trotting out Hogan, Perriman and Berrios on Sat. and there is no sign of a veteran coming in or a trade, etc.  It's very reminiscent of being fine with Luke Faulk.  He's good with losing.

My feel right now is, he's testing Sam to see if he can overcome adversity, stay healthy an entire year and convince JD he's the guy.  Otherwise, JD is taking a QB, hopefully Fields and using his an abundance of picks to build around him.  

The one thing that is looking very promising is, Becton looks to be the best player on this team.  

Agree with all of this, but Marcus Maye is the best player on the team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agree with all of this, but Marcus Maye is the best player on the team

We should wait 8-10 games b4 we go sayin whose best n all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

 

PizzaBurger.jpg.2a52f52e20606eb7755b774d6788bb02.jpg

Whenever I see weird food porn like that I wonder who the weirdo that took a picture of it rather than just eat that bitch . 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Crusher said:

Whenever I see weird food porn like that I wonder who the weirdo that took a picture of it rather than just eat that bitch . 

I don't know where I could get one of those but I want one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...