Is Joe Douglas a good gm?

hamat711

Just now, Larz said:

He traded away the best player and has huge amounts of cap room

he’s positioning himself for a 4 year rebuild 

Fresh Prince Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

He ain’t wrong. This season has 3 or 4 wins written all over it. He could’ve went bongo and maybe squeeze out 6 wins tops. Where does that get us?

• Sympathy 1

Just my opinion....Joe Douglass seems like a smart football guy.  Wonder what he had Sam Darnold rated when he was with the Eagles?  Everything he is doing seems to point to hes not trying to give Sam his best shot to earn that 5th year extension.  Seems to me he is building the team for a Top 2 pick this year...and he knows Gase sucks and will be gone and he can bring in his own coach with a new young QB....thats the only way to lure a top coach here.

• Upvote 1

I am very hopeful.  

That being said, with the entire draft class injured, how can we get any idea?  Is that just bad luck or did they do a bad job? Becton looks good so far.  He didn't sign any free agents of real consequence.

Saying he hasn't been aggressive and talking about the deal of Adams seems borderline insane to me.  Sure they had the cap space to sign him, but he didn't want to be here.  He is a good player, but wouldn't you rather have the money to give flexibility to sign what is required when the team is close?  Makes more sense than locking up money in a safety that we know isn't bringing us a super bowl this year?  It positions them nicely for 2021.

For the OP, cutting Osemele was kind of a no brainer.  Maybe it was a mistake to get on such bad terms with the guy, but his contract was up for 2020 anyway.  I think the fines saved some of the money they gave Kalil, but last I heard that was in grievance.  They dumped a 31 year old G with a questionable back, and bad shoulder that wasn't likely to ever see time in a Jets jersey again.  They would have had to sign him to a new contract in any event.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hamat711 said:

He made all the easy and easy moves, but I haven't seen him take any risks. 

He started a rebuild during a pivotal year for his young QB.

Joe Douglas was unable to attract any A tier or B tier Free agents. Instead of getting known commodities to make the roster better now, he made a bunch of gambles on less proven players.

He is now responsible for the worst skill group in the NFL. This was likely true even before the injuries.

Joe Douglas' job is player management. Under Douglas' management, Jamal Adams became discontent. Even if the haul for Adams was amazing, the circumstances that lead to the trade just can't be ignored.

Kelechi Osemele paved the way for a huge day for the KC RB. He might still be a good player who was injured. He would be a clear upgrade over Roten or Lewis. Cutting Osemele might be a mistake.

The Kalil signing was awful.

Just looking at the contracts and players he signed this year, it seems like he is preparing for life after Gase and Darnold are gone.

Jesus Christ. 

The guy took over a team with one of the worst rosters in all of football. He’s only had one draft. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

For the OP, cutting Osemele was kind of a no brainer.  Maybe it was a mistake to get on such bad terms with the guy, but his contract was up for 2020 anyway.  I think the fines saved some of the money they gave Kalil, but last I heard that was in grievance.  They dumped a 31 year old G with a questionable back, and bad shoulder that wasn't likely to ever see time in a Jets jersey again.  They would have had to sign him to a new contract in any event.

Osemele had two years on his contract. If Osemele was telling the truth, its a bad look for the Jets.

It also doesn't help that Luke Falk also filed a grievance vs the Jets.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Osemele had two years on his contract. If Osemele was telling the truth, its a bad look for the Jets.

It also doesn't help that Luke Falk also filed a grievance vs the Jets.

You are correct.  I forgot he had two years left.  Still he was due $11.35M non-guaranteed for 2020.  Even if he had a good 2019, they were going to cut him.  He signed for under $2M.  The Jets weren't going to give him almost $10M more than his worth on the open market.  Would it have better to wait until the league year was going to start to cut him loose? That part was actually a favor.

I agree it is a bad look, and I generally side with the players, but it sends a message to a guy that got surgery when team doctors said he was good to play.  Sort of like moving Adams and the sh*t with Enunwa.  It isn't nice and I don't like it, but sometimes it pays to be cutthroat in the NFL.   Hasn't really hurt the Steelers or Patriots.

He has had 1 draft and 1 off-season can the guy get a little more time.  He brought in 2 free agent wrs, one opted out.  Offered Robby a contract but he went to play for his college coach.  Drafted a lt, wr and rb, once all healthy will see how that goes but becton looked good 

We haven't drafted well in 10 years and over paid free agents what do you people want.   It's going to take time we will see.  

Finally gase needs to go, if he doesn't fire him at the end of the year then he is destined to fail no matter what

4 hours ago, JiF said:

My feel right now is, he's testing Sam to see if he can overcome adversity, stay healthy an entire year and convince JD he's the guy.  Otherwise, JD is taking a QB, hopefully Fields and using his an abundance of picks to build around him.  

If he is doing that, he is a fuc#ng #sshole. Why not instead surround with talent to your current #3 pick to make sure he succeeds? 

Only a fuc#ng #sshole would do that. 

• Post of the Week 3

Just now, Ecuadorian Jet said:

If he is doing that, he is a fuc#ng #sshole. Why not instead surround with talent to your current #3 pick to make sure he succeeds? 

Only a fuc#ng #sshole would do that. 

yesh I mean damn already saddled with the worst coach and worst offensive supporting case in football, how much more adversity to do want to give the guy lol 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

I think it's quite clear he sees this as a 2-3 year plan and is fine with losing and moving on from Gase and Darnold.  1 year contracts, trading Jamal,  1 WR in the draft, etc.  We're trotting out Hogan, Perriman and Berrios on Sat. and there is no sign of a veteran coming in or a trade, etc.  It's very reminiscent of being fine with Luke Faulk.  He's good with losing.

My feel right now is, he's testing Sam to see if he can overcome adversity, stay healthy an entire year and convince JD he's the guy.  Otherwise, JD is taking a QB, hopefully Fields and using his an abundance of picks to build around him.  

The one thing that is looking very promising is, Becton looks to be the best player on this team.  

Good point on Darnold and Douglas. Makes sense. Douglas knows Darnold needs to prove himself before even contemplating a huge contract.  IMO Darnold can be the guy but I’m from Missouri show me.

Not one person here did not clamor for a GM who would prioritize the o line and it appears he has started the process.  He has exiled a talented malcontent and got a return above what most thought here. He is clearing out some of the old vets who were more expensive (our left guard and center) and replaced with guys who have the potential to be better. Will they, I don't know but can't be much worse. Resigning Crowder was a steal in my opinion and as far as taking chances I think Becton was a risk.  Many here, in fact quite a few including me thought Wirfs was the pick and stay away from someone so massive but it remains to be seen but I think Douglas won that choice.  Gettin Mims and playing the draft was something not many can associate with the draft as Jets fans and whether you like the picks or not you appreciate his chess moves.  I have some belief in Perrine and Davis and think Mims will be a defensive nightmare dependent on health, we shall see. Gambled on Zuninga. 

Douglas sure looks like a good GM to me.
OP said he didn’t do anything risky yet. I beg to differ. NOT giving the top FAs the big money with a stock pile of cash IS the risky move. Especially for the NY Jets who are traditionally the offseason champions.
He is tasked with changing the entire outlook on the Jets from other GM’s, agents and players looking to grab the cash and take it easy for a while.
The easiest thing in the world would have been to give Conklin, Cooper and/or Clowney the most money.
Add to that Adams, who would have been the priority of the last 3 GM’s. Paying him whatever he wanted to stop saying mean things would have been the order of the day quickly. That’s why CJ told Jamal we’d extend him when jamal went around JD and Gase to cry. CJ never thought in a million years that we wouldn’t be re signing him.
Hell, we would have paid Jenkins $9 mil a year if macc was still here. Poole, Robbie, Beachum all of em would be overpaid right now. And we would still be 0-1.
JD’s job is much much bigger and more difficult than acquiring players. He’s breaking a mold. All under the microscope of the NY media and intense fan base.

Here’s the truth about our week 1 suck fest. If Sam could have hit his open receivers we had a game. And that’s with all of the injuries.
And I’m a huge Sam supporter.

I have differences of opinion with some things JD has done but at no time have I considered that he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It reeks of a plan around the Jets. Whether we know what it is or not.

Even the reports of JDs dealing during FA told us that things are different around the Jets and that we would no longer be the leverage piece for agents to use to their advantage.

Give it time guys. We have the first real GM we’ve had since steinberg. And JD is better. Well, he sure as sh*t better be. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

I’m super cynical and believe most first GMs fail because it’s a hard job, not because these guys are morons. But, JD is a real candidate not Korn Ferry detritus. We are bound to him now and we need to let this one bake.

Like a soufflé baby. Like a soufflé.

75% of the reason I suppprted macc was because I knew we’d go out and hire another first time GM. We’d have to watch him bang his head all around the nfl while he learned the ropes.
I feel different with JD. He will make his mistakes but he has an air of confidence about him. And his staff is top notch.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

This is by far your finest post on JN!! Thanks for breaking it down so brilliantly!

That’s right. I called you brilliant!! emoji1319.pngemoji1319.pngemoji1319.png

friggin Beaner...   btw, i have been following ur vids....   mebbe one o these days i'll join ur goofy arse?

we all bleed a nasty shade o green....