Is Joe Douglas a good gm?

hamat711

4 hours ago, ageingjetfan said:

I think Becton was a risk.  Many here, in fact quite a few including me thought Wirfs was the pick and stay away

i'll be keeping my eye on this one cos i prefrred wirrfs as well. not to try to be mr. smarty arse....   just to see how my "instincts" are doing.

any peeps who know me know i am no draftnik. i have very few opinions re: draft. usually maybe 2-4 per year and thats it.

the last 3 were watson-LJ-josh allen (edge)       shrug... i didnt like d lee...but i had no vibe that year

22 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Who the **** knows at this point?

So far, I like what I see.

- He made it very clear that his primary objective was to rebuild the offensive line, and he took meaningful steps to do so.  As to the OP's claim that he doesn't take risks, Becton was a risk.  Wirfs was the chalk pick, and who most of the board wanted.

- He traded Adams.  Which means, he didn't pay a 15M+ SS, and he didn't do what was best for the Jets marketing dept.  He also got a good return for it.

- He didn't sign any bad contracts.  No Trumaines, No Bells, No Moselys.  He didn't give anyone a golden parachute.

I certainly understand the frustration of some fans that more wasn't done.  But, I don't know how many good moves he left on the table.  Maybe another WR over Morgan?  Sure, but how much would that player really be contributing year 1?

Spot on here. Good post(several in this thread you've made)  I actually think he's taken quite a few risks.  Letting established Jets like Robby, Harrison and Winters go, when they play positions of need, are risky moves.  As it relates to Winters and Harrison, they didn't fit the mold of OL he wants.  So he stuck to his guns when no one would have blinked at either guy being retained.  

He has a vision of how he wants this team built in the long run.  You can see it.  He values athleticism, versatility and leadership.  He has made several moves so far that the easier/safer move would have been stick with the status quo but he didn't do it.  That is calculated risk.

I think he gets it.  No GM will bay 1.000 on moves.  But I think given the proper time, this roster will be good under JD.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

friggin Beaner...   btw, i have been following ur vids....   mebbe one o these days i'll join ur goofy arse?

we all bleed a nasty shade o green....

Join the live stream this Sunday.  I'm gonna have some guys from the board on a special guests.  You down? 

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i'll be keeping my eye on this one cos i prefrred wirrfs as well. not to try to be mr. smarty arse....   just to see how my "instincts" are doing.

any peeps who know me know i am no draftnik. i have very few opinions re: draft. usually maybe 2-4 per year and thats it.

the last 3 were watson-LJ-josh allen (edge)       shrug... i didnt like d lee...but i had no vibe that year

It's funny. As much as I really liked Wirfs, I wished the Jets had the balls to take the big guy because of what he could be.  But at the moment we were picking I was convinced it would be Wirfs. It was the safer pick by most accounts.  I was blown away when JD took the risk and went big (pun partially intended).  That took guts man. Becton was JD's first ever pick as a GM.  That says a lot about the guy. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

JD’s job is much much bigger and more difficult than acquiring players. He’s breaking a mold. All under the microscope of the NY media and intense fan base.

Here’s the truth about our week 1 suck fest. If Sam could have hit his open receivers we had a game. And that’s with all of the injuries.
And I’m a huge Sam supporter.

I have differences of opinion with some things JD has done but at no time have I considered that he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It reeks of a plan around the Jets. Whether we know what it is or not.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I buy into all that. I do. The problem is that as much as I believe, I also have to believe that JD would not have chosen Gase as HC if given a choice. Why? Because Gase is an example of inflexibility, uncooperativeness and unintelligence.

I'm coming to the realization that Sam Darnold would be the sacrificial lamb in all this. Fire Gase, which is the right thing to do, would put Darnold at further disadvantage. So, you sacrifice Darnold and start all over new QB and new HC.

• Thumb Down 1

23 hours ago, hamat711 said:

He made all the easy and easy moves, but I haven't seen him take any risks. 

He started a rebuild during a pivotal year for his young QB.

Joe Douglas was unable to attract any A tier or B tier Free agents. Instead of getting known commodities to make the roster better now, he made a bunch of gambles on less proven players.

He is now responsible for the worst skill group in the NFL. This was likely true even before the injuries.

Joe Douglas' job is player management. Under Douglas' management, Jamal Adams became discontent. Even if the haul for Adams was amazing, the circumstances that lead to the trade just can't be ignored.

Kelechi Osemele paved the way for a huge day for the KC RB. He might still be a good player who was injured. He would be a clear upgrade over Roten or Lewis. Cutting Osemele might be a mistake.

The Kalil signing was awful.

Just looking at the contracts and players he signed this year, it seems like he is preparing for life after Gase and Darnold are gone.

NOT right now. I think he handled the draft well and the future will demonstrate that but you're always judged mostly on your last move? Joe's last move was to:

1) Trade our very best player

2) Give up on the season

Whether you believe number 2 is fair or not is not important. The end effect is the Jets are really, really bad right now. Joe had to know the Jets weren't going to be very good considering their overall lack of talent, trading the best player exacerbates an already bad situation. 

We won't know whether the trade was worth it until we see what Joe does with the picks. Simply getting 3 picks and a player only looks good in terms of draft value. There's nothing on the field right now that makes the Jets better in the short term. Douglas is responsible for the poor product we're seeing right now.

• Post of the Week 1

NOT right now. I think he handled the draft well and the future will demonstrate that but you're always judged mostly on your last move? Joe's last move was to:
1) Trade our very best player
2) Give up on the season
Whether you believe number 2 is fair or not is not important. The end effect is the Jets are really, really bad right now. Joe had to know the Jets weren't going to be very good considering their overall lack of talent, trading the best player exacerbates an already bad situation. 
We won't know whether the trade was worth it until we see what Joe does with the picks. Simply getting 3 picks and a player only looks good in terms of draft value. There's nothing on the field right now that makes the Jets better in the short term. Douglas is responsible for the poor product we're seeing right now.
Well ... I think the Tank named Trevor is a real thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Join the live stream this Sunday.  I'm gonna have some guys from the board on a special guests.  You down? 

LIve during game doesn;t work cos you see the play several seconds before I do....

maybe a chat where we talk about a player or a game or some such....  we;ll see..

appreciate teh invite