Football Outsiders QBASE: The most effective predictive tool for QB's?

Jetsfan80

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Also Michael Vick was a huge miss. Not sure why he’s bolded.

In his prime he was elite. Made 4 pro-bowls. Certainly outperformed his Hackenberg territory.

It only looks at passing. They accurately predicted his passing stats in years 3-5. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Also Michael Vick was a huge miss. Not sure why he’s bolded.

In his prime he was elite. Made 4 pro-bowls. Certainly outperformed his Hackenberg territory.

His Year 3-5 DYAR, which QBASE is intended to predict, was very accurate.  He was not a good QB.  Just an incredible runner.  QBASE only looks at how a QB does as a passer, which is appropriate.

Just go back and look at his numbers.  He had 1 good season as a passer, and it was much later in his career, on his 2nd team.  The most TD passes he ever had in a season was 21, and he paired that with 5 seasons with 10+ INTs.  He only went over 60 % completions once.  His career Yards per Attempt was a paltry 7.0.

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2020 QBASE, btw:

1. Joe Burrow (759)
  2. Justin Herbert (689)
  3. Tua Tagovailoa (654)
  4. Jake Fromm (439)
  5. Jalen Hurts (410)
  6. Jordan Love (57)
  7. Jacob Eason (-98)
  8. Anthony Gordon (-234)

QBASE gave Burrow and Herbert higher scores than Mahomes and Jackson.

I assume there's no QBASE for Trevor Lawrence yet?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2020 QBASE, btw:

1. Joe Burrow (759)
  2. Justin Herbert (689)
  3. Tua Tagovailoa (654)
  4. Jake Fromm (439)
  5. Jalen Hurts (410)
  6. Jordan Love (57)
  7. Jacob Eason (-98)
  8. Anthony Gordon (-234)

QBASE gave Burrow and Herbert higher scores than Mahomes and Jackson.

Where is James Morgan?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dinamite said:

Where is James Morgan?

He didn't receive a grade, unfortunately.  They only grade QB's they believe are expected to be taken in the top 100 picks or so.  Where QB's are expected to go impacts their formula.  Because the idea is to project what a potential STARTING QB will be doing in Years 3-5. 

If James Morgan was expected by FO to be a QB2, then it makes no sense to try to project his performance.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

@Jetsfan80 you didn't bold McNabb?  He wasn't good enough for you?  Seems odd.  Especially when you consider he went after Couch.  The disparity there should be a plus for QBase.  The fact that they tweak the formula to fit results is good and bad.  It's good that they correct mistakes, but it kind of makes it a moving target to review.

He was a hit as a prospect, but they were sizably off in their projection.  They had him at 1946 DYAR in years 3-5.  He ended up at about 1000.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ah.  What are Darnold, Mayfield and Allen at now? 

Both are only entering Year 3 of their careers this season, so that's not available yet in terms of compare how close QBASE was.

I can give you their DYAR thru 2 years (+ 1 start in Year 3) but it wouldn't be meaningful for QBASE.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ah.  What are Darnold, Mayfield and Allen at now? 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Both are only entering Year 3 of their careers this season, so that's not available yet in terms of compare how close QBASE was.

I can give you their DYAR thru 2 years (+ 1 start in Year 3) but it wouldn't be meaningful for QBASE.

Mayfield, Darnold and Allen DYAR, 2018-present (does not include last night's game):

• Mayfield:  591
  • Allen:  -438
  • Darnold:  -463

Mayfield was barely above replacement level in 2019 and had a -85 DYAR in his Week 1 game against Baltimore, so of course he's trending down.  He finished with 628 DYAR in his rookie season.

Allen scored a 117 in his Week 1 game of 2020.  Darnold was -63.  

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mayfield, Darnold and Allen DYAR, 2018-present (does not include last night's game):

Mayfield was barely above replacement level in 2019 and had a -85 DYAR in his Week 1 game against Baltimore, so of course he's trending down.  He finished with 628 DYAR in his rookie season.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its a disaster....

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

looks like a stupid garbage made up bullsh*t metric. don't ever quote this sh*t on this board to evaluate a qb ever again

Again.  Find me a scout or front office that nails their evaluations of QB prospects 50+ % of the time, and can sniff out an eventual bust 75+ % of the time.

QBASE would have steered us away from Mark Sanchez (-184), Bryce Petty (-292) and Christian Hackenberg (-414), and absolutely pushed the Jets to draft Russell Wilson (1561) in 2012.  It also would have told us Pat Mahomes (656) would be the best QB in the 2017 class, and worth taking at 6th overall.  It also would have also told the Jets to draft Lamar Jackson (656) over Sam Darnold (412) in 2018.

But yeah, numbers are stupid and stuff.  I, and others, will be using QBASE on this board plenty of times going forward.  You're just going to have to deal with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Neat tool and if you want to rank this type of stuff sure, it's the most effective I guess (not sure of other similar types of tools) but it's still bogus.  The "data" they use in their equation is completely subjective and often totally wrong.  Cool to look at, definitely not a deciding factor in any fashion. 

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If that is the best metic we have, then my primary conclusion from this list is that no one metric is particularly useful - which makes sense and what I would expect 

Exactly.  It's a tool that helps with evaluations.  Not the be-all-end-all. 

And this tool is available publicly.  I'm sure NFL front offices, who are investing millions of dollars and putting careers on the line every time they draft a QB, certainly must have their own teams of analytics guys with more complex metrics than these at their disposal.  Well, except for Mike Maccagnan.  He never used analytics at all, and it showed.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Neat tool and if you want to rank this type of stuff sure, it's the most effective I guess (not sure of other similar types of tools) but it's still bogus.  The "data" they use in their equation is completely subjective and often totally wrong.  Cool to look at, definitely not a deciding factor in any fashion. 

I just demonstrated that they're right over 50 % of the time.  Aside from perhaps a panel of JN scouts, I fail to see anyone with a better hit rate out there.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just demonstrated that they're right over 50 % of the time.  Aside from a panel of JN scouts, I fail to see anyone with a better hit rate out there.

No, not that, I'm talking about the subjective criteria they use to make judgement calls on talent and competition are often wrong.  Not the overall results. 

What are you comparing this to?  I dont know of anything similar.  If you're just comparing it to the scouts or GM community or drat results, etc, then it's not really that much different than what they have to say sans Russell Wilson. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

No, not that, I'm talking about the subjective criteria they use to make judgement calls on talent and competition are often wrong.  Not the overall results. 

What are you comparing this to?  I dont know of anything similar.  If you're just comparing it to the scouts or GM community or drat results, etc, then it's not really that much different than what they have to say sans Russell Wilson. 

That doesn't play out in the actual results/picks.  If it did, Mahomes would have been taken over Trubisky, Lamar Jackson would have been the 2nd QB off the board in 2018, and no one would have invested high picks in the likes of Ryan Leaf, Sanchez, Josh Freeman, J.P. Losman, Jake Locker, or Rex Grossman.  Listening to this model would have steered teams away from those guys.  

If your argument is consensus is basically = to QBASE, that's dead wrong.