Things have gotten so bad with the Jets...

jetstream23

I don’t even know that he’s a bust.  He was never going to be anything more than a space occupier and he does that pretty well actually.  So he is actually playing exactly how I expected.

Stupid pick of an over hyped player.  It was ridiculous.  The reports of his explosion. Lol he just walked around people because that line was loaded and scout be like - look at that explosion, it’s AarronDurnoldblahblah 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

It has been frustrating with Q. I’ve been pulling for him and still hope he clicks at some point soon. Any thoughts on why the NFL transition has been tough for him so far? He seemed to have the right stuff coming in. 

Not a tremendous athlete (especially when compared to fellow 2019 draftees Ed Oliver or Josh Allen), which is almost always needed to be an effective pass rusher.  Played for a loaded defense at Alabama.  Might not have a "killer instinct" needed to be a great DT.  Fat.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Not the worst player we’ve ever drafted but one of our worst draft picks, and we’ve had a lot of blunders. We desperately needed that 3rd overall pick to a be a contributor, preferably on offense. Literally any offensive linemen or receiver would’ve put us in a better position. 

Sadly there was no one there worth taking at 3.  Jonah Williams sucks; he'll be a G in the NFL.  The proper move would have been to trade down and/or take Josh Allen/Ed Oliver. 

I suppose if you wanted to stretch things a bit, trading down into the teens and taking Marquise Brown or C Garrett Bradbury would have been a good call in hindsight.

But yes.  Literally almost anything would have been better than taking Quinnen Williams.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

...that Quinnen Williams looking like a bust who may be worse than Leo is like the 5th or 6th thing on the list of things we're worried about right now.  Seriously?  Not one thread on the first page or two talking about last year's #3 pick because we're so worried about the previous year's #3 pick?

I simply cannot believe that after all the hype of this past summer, the weight loss, the talk of "being dominant", etc. Quinnen had almost zero impact on the game last week.  Josh Allen ran, he threw, he stood back in the pocket reading the newspaper, etc.  There was no interior pass rush and no outside pass rush.

If not for Gase, Darnold, the wide receivers, the injuries, a Christopher Johnson press conference, etc. I think we'd be talking more about the what should be the best player on the defense right now with no CJ or Jamal Adams playing.  Sheesh!

Objectively speaking IMO, it WAS bad. We should be seeing much better from Williams. However, I don't think it was as bad as you're making it out to be? I saw on a few occasions where Williams penetrated the backfield and ruined the running play. The Jets D gave up next to nothing in the running game. It looks like, at least right now, that Quinnen Williams will never be a pass rushing terror. Just a really sound run defender...

On 9/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, jetstream23 said:

...that Quinnen Williams looking like a bust who may be worse than Leo is like the 5th or 6th thing on the list of things we're worried about right now.  Seriously?  Not one thread on the first page or two talking about last year's #3 pick because we're so worried about the previous year's #3 pick?

I simply cannot believe that after all the hype of this past summer, the weight loss, the talk of "being dominant", etc. Quinnen had almost zero impact on the game last week.  Josh Allen ran, he threw, he stood back in the pocket reading the newspaper, etc.  There was no interior pass rush and no outside pass rush.

If not for Gase, Darnold, the wide receivers, the injuries, a Christopher Johnson press conference, etc. I think we'd be talking more about the what should be the best player on the defense right now with no CJ or Jamal Adams playing.  Sheesh!

Actually White Castle stock went through the roof on the stock market so there’s you’re impact. 

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Objectively speaking IMO, it WAS bad. We should be seeing much better from Williams. However, I don't think it was as bad as you're making it out to be? I saw on a few occasions where Williams penetrated the backfield and ruined the running play. The Jets D gave up next to nothing in the running game. It looks like, at least right now, that Quinnen Williams will never be a pass rushing terror. Just a really sound run defender...

AD>? QW 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

He may defend eating Travis Scotts, that's about it.

McDonald's Is Dropping the $6 'Travis Scott Meal' Deal ...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How about not drafting Quinnen AND trading Leo, since highly drafted, non pass-rushing DT's aren't a necessity to a defense?

You're right. They're not. Ends and corners are and we don't have those. We have Gregg Williams, mediocre coordinator and contemptible swine, facing down NFL offenses every week with an empty clip, working under Adam Gase and above the guy who narced him in New Orleans, which seems more like Maccagnan trying to engineer a Ryan/Gilbride debacle than an actual plan. What's wrong here is fairly obvious. How on earth it has worked as well as it has seems like the question worth asking.

The Jets were in goal line for one snap against the Bills and played vanilla base nickel the whole game otherwise. They rotated five guys (Basham/Phillips, Willis/Jenkins/Luvu) on the edge. McLendon/Fatukasi (nose) and Anderson/Shepard (tackle) each played about 35% of the snaps. Williams played 60%. The defensive line rotation was structured to keep literally everybody besides Quinnen Williams off the field as much as possible.

The big picture is that you need to be able to consistently generate pass rush with four guys and he's basically the only player on the roster who can be part of the solution.

• Upvote 1