What a Hard Core Giants Fan Told Me

More Cowbell

they were discussing Sam on the kay show yesterday.  everyone seems to be so high on sam, yet they rank guys like allen, jones and even burrow ahead of him.  you never really here a pundit down on sam - everyone is down on gase.  look at tannehill - dude was mediocre at best in miami and a year in tennessee the guy is a top 10 qb.  while i'm not completely sold on tannehill, it's gotta be something that the guy has improved under a different coach.  the list of those guys go on and on - devante parker, geseicki, etc.  

i'm whatever with sam.  of course i want him to succeed but if we're drafting 1st overall, trade sam for a 3 or 4 and use the picks to take lawrence and some god damn receivers. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Doesn't take an improved line to make dumb decisions on the field.  Like it or not, Darnold is a turnover machine.   It's what he is now and always will be in his short time in the NFL before he dons the baseball cap and holds the clipboard. 

Wasn't tannehil a turnover machine and insert whatever critism you have of darnold ?

No, darnold is just a qb with no nfl quality coaching. If he left here he is awesome. Mariotta is terrible but tenn got some good game out of him, but the dude sucked. Darnold has never had really good game with gase. Never happened. Its coaching

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Hey guys have you heard? There's  15 games left. Lets not replace everyone associated with the team just yet. Not to make excuses but l saw a lot of teams look sloppy and unprepared this week due to no preseason work etc. We went 6-2 the last 8 games of last season, we can turn things around. But Gase, and Sam better get busy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Change that name to Trevor and you can re-use that post in a few years after we draft him as well. Then the next and the next and the next...  Only the apocalypse can save us. 

Well, that actually might be coming. Though I’m not as optimistic as you that it’ll save us. :)

• Haha 3

I’m not sure if Darnold is going to work out here or not (I’m the most skeptical I’ve even been), but the one thing I am extremely confident about is that, if Darnold fails here, he will turn up down the road with another team and have success - that is obviously the most Jetsy outcome 

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Was at Rosh Hashanah dinner last night with my family who are all Giants fans.

I asked my brother do you think the Jets should tank for Lawrence. He started to crack up. His answer was, boy, you Jets fans must really love being miserable.  Do you actually want to see Darnold become a good QB for another team the same way Miami is looking at Tanny? The guy is realistically  playing his second season after having mono last season and your WR all suck. Who is supposed to make a play for him? I mean the Giants WR's aren't  that good either but at least Shepard makes plays every once in a while and we can throw to Barkley. 

I explained to him that after the last game, Sam might not be the guy. To that he said, please trade him to the Giants.  We would take him in a heart beat over Mr turnover. 

This is from my brother who has relentlessly  teased me about being Jets fan.

Happy Rosh Hashana! I guess you missed my post about a long running joke between a friend of mine and I that the Jets season is usually over by Yom Kippur. They're almost over the hump!

That's crazy having a Jets fan and a Giants fan growing up in the same household. My first cousins, there's 8 of us altogether (I'm the baby), and we're all Jets fans, except for one (my favorite cousin), who's a Giants fan. That happened because his Dad was a actually New York Giants BASEBALL fan and also a New York Giants FB fan, so of course your loyalties USUALLY follow your Dad's. 

We razz each other all the time, but unlike some Jets fans, I really HATE the Giants. He doesn't HATE the Jets, but he craps all over them, who doesn't. I almost always go for the AFC in the SB, but I had to be a slight turncoat when the Giants played the Cheats. What a pyrrhic choice that was; but I wasn't actually ROOTING for the Giants to win, I was rooting for the Cheats to lose. Oh, God, imagine what it would've been like had the Giants not persevered, I can feel the chunks rising just thinking about it. Anyway, I agree with your level-headed brother. Mazel tov! 

The throw that Sam did not make to Crowder is honestly the biggest indictment in my opinion. On top of not throwing to the wide open receiver he was staring right at, he ran out of bounds to lose yards. Every single QB in the NFL ever who is rolling to his strong sid le with only one receiver option who is 5 steps behind the DB makes that throw. Opting not to let that one fly is the result of a kid who’s guts and confidence is completely shot. I can live with young players who make stupid mistakes due to overconfidence, but that kind of chicken sh*t play doesn’t get better.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He's been in the league two seasons. What three years are you talking about? Are you including USC? 

This year, genius.   You see how he looked outvhere Sunday?   He looked like a 1957 version of one of those saccharin Tammy films.  Only with less conifidence, toughness and balls.  Maybe he has a role in a new series of films, The Cal Boy Who Choked.

EDIT:   Episode One:  "Mom, Doc Sys I Got Mono".

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Darnold has never had really good game with gase. Never happened. Its coaching

Not making excuses, because seems like whatever Gase is preaching isnt getting through right now but Darnold hasn't played a full season with the HC.  And the Dallas game was really good.  Redskins game was.  Raider game.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

This year, genius.   You see how he looked outvhere Sunday?   He looked like a 1957 version of one of those saccharin Tammy films.  Only with less conifidence, toughness and balls.  Maybe he has a role in a new series of films, The Cal Boy Who Choked.

Genius?

You said three years.  And your comeback was this year?  You mean one game?  

Arent toughness and balls kind of the same?

LOL Jets fans

16 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

The throw that Sam did not make to Crowder is honestly the biggest indictment in my opinion. On top of not throwing to the wide open receiver he was staring right at, he ran out of bounds to lose yards. Every single QB in the NFL ever who is rolling to his strong sid le with only one receiver option who is 5 steps behind the DB makes that throw. Opting not to let that one fly is the result of a kid who’s guts and confidence is completely shot. I can live with young players who make stupid mistakes due to overconfidence, but that kind of chicken sh*t play doesn’t get better.

Fans.  Whine if a player tries to make something happen and gets picked, whine if he tucks the ball and eats it.  

I'm going to assume he didnt see Crowder.  Complain that he didnt, thats cool, saying he lost guts is kind of off 

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You said three years. As if he's been in the league for three years when he's clearly played two, this being one game into his third. He's 23. I'm not making excuses I'm just stating simple facts. He may be a bust. But he's a young QB who's only been in the league for 2 seasons. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

That conversation sums up NFL fans in a nutshell.  Giant fan says Sam is still young and a victim of circumstance and don’t give up on him, all the while saying he would get rid of his young QB who’s turned the ball over a few times, but he needs to go.   Unless you have an Aaron Rodgers type at QB, NFL fans will always want the “other” guy.  

Then you've got Greenbay fans who have the Aaron Rodgers and have relatively little to show for the career of the QB who could arguably be the best of all time ??‍♂️

• Upvote 1

Fans.  Whine if a player tries to make something happen and gets picked, whine if he tucks the ball and eats it.  
I'm going to assume he didnt see Crowder.  Complain that he didnt, thats cool, saying he lost guts is kind of off 

The video shows him staring right at him. He’s literally the only receiver on the side of the field he scrambled to. Not knowing he was there is probably an even worse indictment of Sam, but Sam clearly knew he was there and instead of throwing the ball to him, or at least throwing it away, he ran straight out of bounds for a loss. That’s chicken sh*t football and I have defended and rooted for this kid from day one but I have no defense for that play. It was every bit as bad as anything Geno had done as QB for us.

Gase has a much more complete body of work to reference than Darnold. Every game spent with Gase is wasted opportunity to see what we have in Darnold. I'm not sold on Sam either way, but I think the most prudent course of action is to give him an effective offensive coach. He hasn't had that here.

Gase makes Bates look competent at this point. That says something. 

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I asked my brother do you think the Jets should tank for Lawrence. He started to crack up. His answer was, boy, you Jets fans must really love being miserable.  Do you actually want to see Darnold become a good QB for another team the same way Miami is looking at Tanny? The guy is realistically  playing his second season after having mono last season and your WR all suck. Who is supposed to make a play for him? I mean the Giants WR's aren't  that good either but at least Shepard makes plays every once in a while and we can throw to Barkley. 

I explained to him that after the last game, Sam might not be the guy. To that he said, please trade him to the Giants.  We would take him in a heart beat over Mr turnover. 

I don't know. One thing I know for sure is Darnolds performance last weekend was shockingly bad. I think he's a franchise QB in development. Trouble is, I just DID NOT think he could look as poor as he did against Buffalo. It was IMO so shockingly out of character that it makes me question if he really is a franchise QB? There's a part of me that thinks Mike Macagnan neglected his supporting cast so much that Darnold has suffered irreparable damage? That he's no longer capable of being what a lot of us think he is. The fact is, Darnold was running for his life all of last season. There's also another part of me that thinks Adam Gase is complicit in Darnolds poor play. His play selection, his plan of attack, his desertion of the running game so early, were so awful that no one could have succeeded. But also I'm thinking why didn't Sam call more audibles? Buffalo knew the plays we were running. I think that was obvious. So why didn't Sam call an audible and get us out of those expected plays. All I can say at this point is I'm scared that Sam may not be the franchise guy. He needs to improve IMMEDIATELY.

35 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

The video shows him staring right at him. He’s literally the only receiver on the side of the field he scrambled to. Not knowing he was there is probably an even worse indictment of Sam, but Sam clearly knew he was there and instead of throwing the ball to him, or at least throwing it away, he ran straight out of bounds for a loss. That’s chicken sh*t football and I have defended and rooted for this kid from day one but I have no defense for that play. It was every bit as bad as anything Geno had done as QB for us.

You can see his eyes, where hes looking?  I cant.  Should he have seen him, probably.  Do I think he saw him and decided not to throw it to an open WR?  No, I dont.  

We bitch that he tried to squeeze one in that gets picked and then complain when he plays it too safe.  Its easy playing QB watching from home on TV sometimes.  Anyone claiming Sam plays chicken shlt football is just complaining to complain.  Its never been his game to play chicken

So all fan bases are paranoid that if you let a player go he becomes great with the next team 

there is no doubt that gase sucks, the offense in general sucks, but Sanchez and Tebow sometimes are just Sanchez and Tebow 

What I want to see from Sam is decisiveness and fundamentals 

no more late throws off the back foot into double coverage 

nobody is coaching him to do that 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I would chalk it up to "The Grass is usually greener" but in the case of the Jets and Giants the grass died years ago.  

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I’m not sure if Darnold is going to work out here or not (I’m the most skeptical I’ve even been), but the one thing I am extremely confident about is that, if Darnold fails here, he will turn up down the road with another team and have success - that is obviously the most Jetsy outcome 

Yep, If we get Sunshine? Ditto , just the way it is. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, heymangold said:

they were discussing Sam on the kay show yesterday.  everyone seems to be so high on sam, yet they rank guys like allen, jones and even burrow ahead of him.  you never really here a pundit down on sam - everyone is down on gase.  look at tannehill - dude was mediocre at best in miami and a year in tennessee the guy is a top 10 qb.  while i'm not completely sold on tannehill, it's gotta be something that the guy has improved under a different coach.  the list of those guys go on and on - devante parker, geseicki, etc.  

i'm whatever with sam.  of course i want him to succeed but if we're drafting 1st overall, trade sam for a 3 or 4 and use the picks to take lawrence and some god damn receivers. 

It’s a myth that Tannehill sucked eggs in MIA. His performance last year was totally predictable and in fact expected based on his career up to that point. The only question mark was whether he could stay healthy for an entire season.