A "brilliant" defensive mind... Gregg Williams: Jets defense was almost dominant in Week 1

BROOKLYN JET

September 19, 2020 | 7:11am

Gregg Williams saw the potential for domination on Sunday — not of his defense, but by it.

Where others witnessed the Jets unit getting overwhelmed most of the afternoon, allowing 404 yards of total offense, getting gashed by Josh Allen for a career-high 312 yards through the air, being unable to get off the field on third down, the team’s defensive coordinator saw promise in the lopsided loss to the Bills.

“What could have been a dominant game — had we controlled the pocket — what could have been a dominant game, turned into production by the other team,” he said Friday following practice, forgetting the two gift fumbles by Allen and two missed field goals by the Bills. “[It] turned into extended plays, and if you go back and take a look at those things, it would have been a very dominant game could we have finished the pocket on the quarterback.”

Of course, you can throw an “if” in front of a lot of statements and that could change the result. If the Mets had more pitching, they would be a playoff team. If the Knicks had better luck, they wouldn’t be in this drought of one playoff series victory across the last two decades. If Mike Maccagnan had drafted better, he still would be the Jets’ general manager.

Gregg Williams APGregg-Williams-1.jpg

Williams said he felt his players were prepared for everything the Bills threw at them, but they just didn’t execute at key junctures. By missing Allen on a number of blitzes and rushes, it led to several big plays.

“That was it,” he said, of his unit’s shortcomings.

But that doesn’t account for the Jets being unable to cover Bills receivers John Brown and Stefon Diggs, who combined to catch 14 passes for 156 yards and a touchdown. It doesn’t account for a lack of a pass rush — Allen had an average of 3.08 seconds per throw, the longest of any quarterback per NFL Next Gen Stats. It doesn’t account for starting No. 1 cornerback Pierre Desir getting benched for poor play. The tackling was shoddy, which even Williams admitted was a focus this week.

“We were very critical on our tackling and we have to do a better job of that, especially at that position,” Williams said, referring to the quarterback.

Now, there were bright spots in the performance. Safety Marcus Maye turned in the best effort of his career, registering 12 tackles, two sacks, two tackles for loss, two passes defensed and a forced fumble. The defense allowed just 10 points in the second half after getting soundly outplayed over the final 30 minutes. Cornerback Nate Hairston held up fairly well in place of Desir.

“I definitely feel like we played better than the numbers showed,” defensive lineman Quinnen Williams said. “It could’ve been a lot better and it would’ve been a lot better if we finished plays.

“We were there. We wrap them up and tackle them, the play would’ve been made.”

This week will present a very different challenge. 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo won’t run nearly as frequently as Allen, and he won’t have his top target, tight end George Kittle (knee), available either. Instead, San Francisco will rely upon running backs Raheem Mostert, Jerick McKinnon and Tevin Coleman through the air and on the ground.

But, according to the Jets’ two Williamses, Gregg and Quinnen, it will come down to the same basic principle for the defense: Finishing off plays.

If they can do that, Gregg Williams sees big possibilities for this defense. Then again, that’s no small feat.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/19/gregg-williams-jets-defense-was-almost-dominant-in-week-1/

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Last week they played a bad QB but one that was an elite runner who also had really good weapons at WR. 

This week they play a slightly better QB but one that can't run, has marginal talent at RB and no pass catching weapons.

If this defense is in fact good, this week should be an easy one for them to prove it.

Yes but it was like we were surprised after time he did run. His new receiver really helped his passing game. Yes, that's a thing. 

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes but it was like we were surprised after time he did run. His new receiver really helped his passing game. Yes, that's a thing. 

We don't have dynamic LBers and we don't have dynamic edge rushers so we will continue to look stupid against mobile QBs.

If we can't contain Jimmy G, then it's time to panic about the defense.

• Upvote 4

Just where is Williams saying anything that wrong? They forced 2 fumbles and if the players didn’t miss some tfls on Allen the bills would not have gained so many yards.  Their run game besides Allen gained around 40 yards or so. If the jet offense did something the whole game would’ve been much different.

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Williams said he felt his players were prepared for everything the Bills threw at them, but they just didn’t execute at key junctures. By missing Allen on a number of blitzes and rushes, it led to several big plays.

They are who we thought they were.  But we let 'em off the hook.

• Haha 2

"Almost dominant", LMFAO. Is that like I almost won Powerball when I only got one number? "I WAS ALMOST DOMINANT ON THAT $280 MILLION JACKPOT WITH MY $2 QUICKPICK! Look at me being almost dominant (drives away in 2004 Ford Ranger with 295K miles on it, muffler dragging across the Quickie Mart parking lot)!" Points because it sounds like a Harley . . . ?

More potential for domination this Sunday! That's when I'm gonna check my numbers after tonight's drawing!

7 minutes ago, jetophile said:

"Almost dominant", LMFAO. Is that like I almost won Powerball when I only got one number? "I WAS ALMOST DOMINANT ON THAT $280 MILLION JACKPOT WITH MY $2 QUICKPICK! Look at me being almost dominant (drives away in 2004 Ford Ranger with 295K miles on it, muffler dragging across the Quickie Mart parking lot)!" Points because it sounds like a Harley . . . ?

Yes, I would imagine so.

Lottery.thumb.jpg.aa7d9d2d3d579f64e54444a7e4e303d5.jpg

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Lottery.thumb.jpg.aa7d9d2d3d579f64e54444a7e4e303d5.jpg

I went to visit a friend of mine five years ago and played a Powerball Quick Pick in DTW while waiting around for my flight. I got three numbers. I don't know what this means, but I don't know anyone in Detroit to help me out so I continue to carry it around in my wallet like a Meercat in the wild carrying around its deceased young, mourning. I could be $12 richer right now yet walk through life oblivious yet somehow vaguely upset. : /

EDIT:  I just found out that the statute of limitations has run out. FML. I'll continue to carry it around just because. 

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Last week they played a bad QB but one that was an elite runner who also had really good weapons at WR. 

This week they play a slightly better QB but one that can't run, has marginal talent at RB and no pass catching weapons.

If this defense is in fact good, this week should be an easy one for them to prove it.

Yeah but that team has a very good defense.  What makes you think our offense can score enough points to win this game? 

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Just to be clear: That bad QB has been statistically better and won more games, than our QB.