Tiger-Mets Rumors from ESPN

faba

THE SKINNY

Bobby Higginson

Tigers Hot seat Mar. 23 - Tigers owner Mike Ilitch said earlier in spring training he didn't think Bobby Higginson would be released, but according to the Detroit Free Press, the outfielder is on shaky ground. "Things probably could change at any moment," Higginson told the newspaper.

Higginson, who will make $8.85 million this year, wouldn't be surprised if he gets the boot. "I've played every scenario out in my mind numerous times," he said. "Say, for instance, I got released: I think I'd be able to handle the reasons why. If I end up being an extra outfielder, I'd be prepared for that, too."

Higginson feels he can still play. "I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet," he said. "I feel pretty comfortable I still have some baseball left in me. This is not weighing on me as much as you'd think, to be honest. I've been here a long time now, I've been here 10 years, and there's been a lot of times when I was almost out anyway. So I've been on that roller coaster."

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Ugueth Urbina

Tigers Mets

Cubs

Indians

Giants

Marlins

White Sox Mar. 22 - Reports persist that the Tigers are getting closer to dealing Urbina, possibly to the Mets, but the team also could decide to hold on to him. According to The Sporting News, the Mets are hoping the Tigers drop their price, said to be a top prospect and a willingness to assume at least $3 million of Urbina's $4 million salary.

Monday's injury to Cubs closer Joe Borowski could create a better market for Urbina if the Cubs decide to look outside their organization for a replacement. However, the Tigers are under no pressure to deal Urbina and could opt to wait for a trading partner more willing to meet their price.

With Troy Percival closing in Detroit, Urbina will serve as a set-up man in the near term. But he would prefer to be a closer somewhere. Urbina, 31, was 4-6 with a 4.51 ERA and 21 saves in 2004.

Mets will take Urbina- let him go cheap Guns, Mavrik, Stormshadow

You also may get rid of Higginson - too much money to pay as a backup at that salary

THE SKINNY

Bobby Higginson

Tigers Hot seat Mar. 23 - Tigers owner Mike Ilitch said earlier in spring training he didn't think Bobby Higginson would be released, but according to the Detroit Free Press, the outfielder is on shaky ground. "Things probably could change at any moment," Higginson told the newspaper.

Higginson, who will make $8.85 million this year, wouldn't be surprised if he gets the boot. "I've played every scenario out in my mind numerous times," he said. "Say, for instance, I got released: I think I'd be able to handle the reasons why. If I end up being an extra outfielder, I'd be prepared for that, too."

Higginson feels he can still play. "I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet," he said. "I feel pretty comfortable I still have some baseball left in me. This is not weighing on me as much as you'd think, to be honest. I've been here a long time now, I've been here 10 years, and there's been a lot of times when I was almost out anyway. So I've been on that roller coaster."

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Ugueth Urbina

Tigers Mets

Cubs

Indians

Giants

Marlins

White Sox Mar. 22 - Reports persist that the Tigers are getting closer to dealing Urbina, possibly to the Mets, but the team also could decide to hold on to him. According to The Sporting News, the Mets are hoping the Tigers drop their price, said to be a top prospect and a willingness to assume at least $3 million of Urbina's $4 million salary.

Monday's injury to Cubs closer Joe Borowski could create a better market for Urbina if the Cubs decide to look outside their organization for a replacement. However, the Tigers are under no pressure to deal Urbina and could opt to wait for a trading partner more willing to meet their price.

With Troy Percival closing in Detroit, Urbina will serve as a set-up man in the near term. But he would prefer to be a closer somewhere. Urbina, 31, was 4-6 with a 4.51 ERA and 21 saves in 2004.

Mets will take Urbina- let him go cheap Guns, Mavrik, Stormshadow

You also may get rid of Higginson - too much money to pay as a backup at that salary

Tigers are doing the right thing. Their not going to get rid of Urbina unless we get a solid prospect for him in return, which is exactly what we need. 4 million for a closer is reasonably modest compared to what some other closers in the league are making. Basically comes down to either taking the Tigers up on their offer or realizing that Braden Looper is going to be your closer all year. Someone eventually is going to bite. Like it says, tigers are in no rush to trade him.

As far as Higginson goes, he might be watching the entire season on the bench, as from the stuff I've read, he's going to be projected as possibly the 5th outfielder behind either Marcus Thames or Nook Logan. If we release him, we're still eating up his 8 million dollar salary either way.

To hell with Higginson... if he's cut, that's great. If he's kept, I'll need to get tickets near the dugout. Why? So I can ride his ass like I did last year.

And, the Tigers shouldn't trade Urbina for anything less than above market value. Why? They've got the power. Which is totally awesome.

Archived