### NY Jets 2020 Week 2 Jets vs. 49ers ### - The Official Game Thread

Maxman

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

It doesn’t - but I’d like to put an NFL roster around our 23 year old QB 

that seems like a good idea to me 

Me too.  But you don't get to have that luxury in the NFL.  At least not right away.  The Bengals didn't.  They went ahead and took Burrow in spite of their many problems.  And Lawrence is probably a better prospect than Burrow.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His ceiling is Andy Dalton.  He's not going to be "uber successful" anywhere or with any coach.  He isn't the guy.  

And that shouldn't be a surprise, either.  He was a Macc pick, after all.  The same guy who drafted Christian Hackenberg coveted Sam Darnold.  

You have lofty goals my friend Dalton put up some very impressive years. I would be happy to see him throw the ball right for Christs sake for a guy with such a strong arm as some say he certainly throws a lot of floaters due to sh*tty mechanics. So what's a strong arm worth if you cant find the open guy and when you do you don't use your strong arm ?

Just now, Smashmouth said:

You have lofty goals my friend Dalton put up some very impressive years. I would be happy to see him throw the ball right for Christs sake for a guy with such a strong arm as some say he certainly throws a lot of floaters due to sh*tty mechanics. So what's a strong arm worth if you cant find the open guy and when you do you don't use your strong arm ?

That's why I said "ceiling".  As in there's no guarantee he reaches that.  It's more likely that he ends up a QB2 after his time with the Jets is over.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His ceiling is Andy Dalton.  He's not going to be "uber successful" anywhere or with any coach.  He isn't the guy.  

And that shouldn't be a surprise, either.  He was a Macc pick, after all.  The same guy who drafted Christian Hackenberg coveted Sam Darnold.  

Again, I respectfully disagree.

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

when Andy had a good team he put up some good years i THINK thats the point. 

thatthe QB isnt DRIVING the team, but can be a be elevated by his surroundings....

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Again, I respectfully disagree.

Mogglez the Niners have just as many injuries on offense as we do yet their back up QB proceeded to out play Sam Darnold today and he actually had some zip on the ball and stepped into his passes. Sam Darnold was the 3rd over all pick where was Nick Mullens taken ?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

My answer would be, absolutely no player on offense has improved under Gase. Hard to evaluate anyone under such a terrible system, let alone the captain of that system. 

But he wasn't particularly impressive as a rookie, pre-Gase, either.  His college resume had plenty of red flags, too.

Gase being terrible does not mean Darnold is good.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Me too.  But you don't get to have that luxury in the NFL.  At least not right away.  The Bengals didn't.  They went ahead and took Burrow in spite of their many problems.  And Lawrence is probably a better prospect than Burrow.

Maybe. 

but it doesn’t matter.

we are the Jets, after all. 

if we get the number 1 pick, one of three things will happen:

1) Trevor will stay in school.

2) Trevor will suffer a career ending injury. Darnold will shine elsewhere.

3) Trevor will somehow not be as good as everyone is saying - it’s not like he’ll get overhyped early or anything like that. Darnold will shine elsewhere.

Bonus (just in case you were wondering): 

If we keep Darnold, he will bust. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, good point. Totally wouldn't trade our RB's for the Bengals, or their WR's, or their OL. The only group that MIGHT be a wash is their TE's. Sorry but that's a garbage take.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

But he wasn't particularly impressive as a rookie, pre-Gase, either.  His college resume had plenty of red flags, too.

Gase being terrible does not mean Darnold is good.

He was better his rookie season and has gone downward. I blame both of them. And Mac for providing terrible support. 

It’s a fn mess. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

I just a believe it.  He was a far better prospect than Tannehill, who was given plenty to start his career off.  Ryan's success says a lot about how awful everything around Sam is and how impossible it is to get a read on him right now.

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Yeah, good point. Totally wouldn't trade our RB's for the Bengals, or their WR's, or their OL. The only group that MIGHT be a wash is their TE's. Sorry but that's a garbage take.

They picked 1st for a reason last year.  

And their OL blows.  Hence why they reached on a G like Jonah Williams, hoping he'd be an OT.  Did you watch their game against Cleveland?  Penalties galore.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I just a believe it.  He was a far better prospect than Tannehill, who was given plenty to start his career off.  Ryan's success says a lot about how awful everything around Sam is and how impossible it is to get a read on him right now.

Being a far better prospect than Tannehill does not mean much to me.  It wasn't until Year 8, on his 2nd team, that the lightbulb truly went on for Tannehill.  No one has that kind of time to wait.  

And for every Tannehill that develops late, there's 10 QB's who mostly suck early and then continue to suck.  

We can, and must, do better than Tannehill.

28 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Clown take. He's the only one who even showed up today. Admittedly a very low bar to hurdle

So lauughably beyond dumb it's not worth responding.   The only stud who showed up today--like he does every f*cking game he plays is Frank Gore.  If it were judged on garbage time, no doubt Darnold is HOF material.   Bafore the end of the game, the putz had put up a whopping 108 against SF's third and fourth stringers.   HE SICKS.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1