Is it child abuse to introduce your kid to the Jets?

jgb

Jets and kids  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Child abuse to introduce your kids to the Jets?

• Yes but so what it’ll toughen them up
    • Yes and you’re a suck parent if you do it
    • Yes but if the kid is dumb enough to go along with it s/he deserves it
    • Yes but who wants to fetch their own beer at tailgates?
    • No because if you don’t force a kid to watch sports clockwork orange style they’ll just spend more time on those infernal iPads

22 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i'm not forcing my son to like the jets.  i only told him he can't like the giants and patriots.  i'm trying to find a way out of liking this team so maybe he'll help me.

So many options now. When I was a kid growing up the only televised game was usually Atlanta or Washington.  Spent Sundays driving around town with @SouthernJetbegging bartenders in places with satellite dishes to put the Jets game on. We usually got lucky on the 3rd or 4th stop—spent a lot of time with my dad in hotel bars or dive bars surrounded by degenerates getting loaded alone at noon. After the NC Jets fan club was formed, at least the degenerates that surrounded us were unified by a common purpose.

• Upvote 3

This isn’t something you can force. I moved to the Philly area where my son grew up. He watched me watch the Jets, I took him to Jet games, Jet training camp. He became an Eagles fan like his friends. Other NY transplant kids loved their father’s team instead. At least my son has his Super Bowl. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, docdhc said:

This isn’t something you can force. I moved to the Philly area where my son grew up. He watched me watch the Jets, I took him to Jet games, Jet training camp. He became an Eagles fan like his friends. Other NY transplant kids loved their father’s team instead. At least my son has his Super Bowl. 

Smart son

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

My son is a Jet fan.  and it is my fault.  And I have absolutely no regrets.  And now, he is a grown man, about to become a father himself, and I will do everything in my power to make sure that my grandson is a Jet fan as well. 

Mostly miserable Sunday afternoons in the fall have become a Lith family tradition that I will proudly pass on to the new generation.  3 generations of Lith men, bitching and maoning together over the Jets.  Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

You're a f*cking lunatic....

• Haha 1

If you live in NY, let them decide who to like (Jets/Giants).

If you don't live in NY, there is no real reason to like/follow either as new-to-the-NFL-kid.

Just because we all were dumb enough to choose the Green team with the cooler logo, doesn't mean we should force that on our kids.

Let them come to it (or not) themselves.

• Upvote 1

Outside of my NY cousins (who stupidly introduced me to the Coslet era Jets.)  I grew up a fan of Oregon sports teams.  That's the worst kind of domestic youth horror imaginable from a sports entertainment standpoint.  Your teams are never good enough to be relevant to the rest of the country.  And when they are, they can't even pronounce the f-ing state in the correct manner!  So it could be a lot worse.

My kids have no interest in the Jets or sports in general. I couldn't be happier for them. 

The Jets are the last thing sports related that I'm interested in. Getting the games on here live in Mexico has proven to be a bit of a challenge and, if the team is gonna suck anyway, I'm not sure I should be going thru more effort to get them on the TV than they put in on the field. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If you live in NY, let them decide who to like (Jets/Giants).

If you don't live in NY, there is no real reason to like/follow either as new-to-the-NFL-kid.

Just because we all were dumb enough to choose the Green team with the cooler logo, doesn't mean we should force that on our kids.

Let them come to it (or not) themselves.

Living in dallas/fort worth, I should have made them cowboys fans.   

They dont like football now, why should they?   They've never seen their team be decent, at least if the local team has a bad year, they can complain with their friends.  Now, my boys don tlike the nfl at all, dont care about it, since their team always sucks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Need advice from the old timers

thanks again @SouthernJet for this “birthright.”

Well I tried to brain wash my boy since he was 4.  He is 8 now, and because the Jets have been super awesomely turrible he laughs at me when ever I mention anything about the Jets.  I guess he is a lot smarter then me.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

My kids have no interest in the Jets or sports in general. I couldn't be happier for them. 

The Jets are the last thing sports related that I'm interested in. Getting the games on here live in Mexico has proven to be a bit of a challenge and, if the team is gonna suck anyway, I'm not sure I should be going thru more effort to get them on the TV than they put in on the field. 

You work for the Navarro Cartel?

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Need advice from the old timers

thanks again @SouthernJet for this “birthright.”

Have you ever heard of the saying "Misery loves company?"

I wanted my son to share in the joy and misery of my sports teams.

Fortunately for him, he rejected the Jets and is a Giants fan.  Right now, it's about the same misery, but he doesn't have the Johnson's for owners at least.

But unfortunately for him, he is now a Mets fan like myself, so I do feel bad for him in that regard.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking about this very issue late last night when one of our Australian posters used an avatar of him and his kid. I uttered  the words "poor kid, he is going to become a Jets fan". Following the Jets is like fishing decades after the invention of fish detecting radar. All the fish are gone, you will come home empty handed but you might have met some nice people along the way.

Then I thought if I had offspring who would I encourage the kid to follow? A team with a tradition of winning but not a tradition of being obnoxious, cheating or being really, really  boring. A kid needs every little boost in self esteem possible and if your team is winning regularly, you are winning regularly. Winners have a bounce in their step, winners ask for a pay raise...winners get the girl. 

I was thinking if I had a kid, I would encourage him to follow the 49ers, the Packers, or The Chiefs. Every time he would wander into the TV room in his diapers, I would switch channels to fake watch one of these teams so that he could imprint his permanent fandom. As soon as he is truly permanently imprinted onto his forever NFL team, I would then break the news to him that I am in fact a Jets fan and I deceived him into thinking I was a 49'ers fan only to save him the grief of unfulfilled dreams, unrequited Jets love. I could then return to watching the Jets on winter Sundays while his self esteem builds like compound interest with each victory of his favorite team in this odd shaped ball sport.

He might hate me for a month or two but in time he will recognize that his old man did right by him, falling on the Jets grenade to save his kid.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

My son is a Jet fan.  and it is my fault.  And I have absolutely no regrets.  And now, he is a grown man, about to become a father himself, and I will do everything in my power to make sure that my grandson is a Jet fan as well. 

Mostly miserable Sunday afternoons in the fall have become a Lith family tradition that I will proudly pass on to the new generation.  3 generations of Lith men, bitching and maoning together over the Jets.  Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Please invite me to your family’s Festivus celebration this year 

18 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Introduced my daughter to the Jets and she has now become a Browns fan.  

There are no words

8 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I was thinking about this very issue late last night when one of our Australian posters used an avatar of him and his kid. I uttered  the words "poor kid, he is going to become a Jets fan". Following the Jets is like fishing decades after the invention of fish detecting radar. All the fish are gone, you will come home empty handed but you might have met some nice people along the way.

Then I thought if I had offspring who would I encourage the kid to follow? A team with a tradition of winning but not a tradition of being obnoxious, cheating or being really, really  boring. A kid needs every little boost in self esteem possible and if your team is winning regularly, you are winning regularly. Winners have a bounce in their step, winners ask for a pay raise...winners get the girl. 

I was thinking if I had a kid, I would encourage him to follow the 49ers, The Seahawks or The Chiefs. Every time he would wander into the TV room in his diapers, I would switch channels to fake watch one of these teams so that he could imprint his permanent fandom. As soon as he is truly permanently imprinted onto his forever NFL team, I would then break the news to him that I am in fact a Jets fan and I deceived him into thinking I was a 49'ers fan only to save him the grief of unfulfilled dreams, unrequited Jets love. I could then return to watching the Jets on winter Sundays while his self esteem builds like compound interest with each victory of his favorite team in this odd shaped ball sport.

He might hate me for a month or two but in time he will recognize that his old man did right by him, falling on the Jets grenade to save his kid.

It’s like Johnny Cash’s “A Boy Named Sue” in reverse.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

My dad took me to see this game.  THAT'S child abuse.
[/url]  
Imagine if you will... Enjoying an amazing Thanksgiving dinner with your entire family... That's right 18 Patriots fans... With the exception of you and your two godsons .... Only to witness the butt fumble game live.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 4