Game Observations (SF)

KRL

The 49ers gave us every opportunity and we still lost by three scores.

Our next game is the Colts who have just held Kirk Cousins to a 15 QB rating.

This team sucks, but I do like a lot of our young guys right now. The signs are pointing to it being a bad season, but an interesting one to say the least. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

You know it’s bad when the 49ers started resting their starters on the Tuesday before the game !

abysmal

I’m sure glad Joe D spent all those resources overhauling our OL!!......to the complete and utter detriment of every other position on the roster, 20 years and we haven’t even remotely addressed the edge rush and WR (and skill positions in general) continues to be a position criminally under valued, but hey we’ve got Alex Lewis and Greg Van Roten!

shockingly poor roster management and coaching 

thanks for the write up as ever KRL 

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is the kind of game that gets a coach fired. It's not going to happen because it's Week 2, but you have to think the clock is ticking.

The roster is bad, the QB was always suspect.  If Trevor Lawrence is really a Manning/Luck type prospect ... let it burn

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is the kind of game that gets a coach fired. It's not going to happen because it's Week 2, but you have to think the clock is ticking.

This is the kind of game that should get a coach fired.

I have no confidence in this team pulling the trigger when we should after seeing the 4 and 5 season tenures of Macc/Bowles that should have been terminated years before that.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Earliest you could hope for would be the bye, and even that would be way out of character for this organization. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Earliest you could hope for would be the bye, and even that would be way out of character for this organization. 

I'm actually not hoping for it. This year is shot no matter what, so you may as well ride Gase to the #1 pick. Plus firing Gase midstream probably puts Williams in the big chair, and Williams is precisely the kind of redassy football lifer that could con the Johnsons into taking the "interim" tag off his title come January.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Agreed.  As much as he Gase never should've been hired in the first place, should have been fired repeatedly since then, and still should be endlessly from here on out, everything about this team says odds are extraordinarily high that it won't even be considered until the offseason, and even then could be influenced if this team continues it's long-standing trend of meaningless late-season wins.

Hurts to be the worst team in the NFL.  Hurts to be a joke.  Hurts to see a once promising QB destroyed.  Hurts to see a coach so completely out of touch with reality you begin to question his sanity.  Hurts to know that your quasi-owner is the biggest fool in sports.  I was hoping that Covid would force the NFL to cancel the season.  Don't care now.  I don't care how many draft picks they have, this garbage organization is not getting any better as long as the Johnsons own the team.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree with you, but the bye week is week 11.  8 more weeks of this.  Not sure I could take that much.  It is just like last September.  Losing football games is one thing, but being completely incompetent in all phases of the game and being embarrassed by another team with just as many injuries.  2 seasons with Gase at the helm that are likely to be over for all intents and purposes by the beginning of October. 

I am becoming numb to it all.  

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Well you know how fragile the Johnson’s boys are. This is a 100% bonafide disaster.

The media and Fan Base are going to have a field day. They are going to rag on Chris silver spoon Johnson. He’s going to panic and save his hide by giving Gase the bullet. 

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I agree with you, but the bye week is week 11.  8 more weeks of this.  Not sure I could take that much.  It is just like last September.  Losing football games is one thing, but being completely incompetent in all phases of the game and being embarrassed by another team with just as many injuries.  2 seasons with Gase at the helm that are likely to be over for all intents and purposes by the beginning of October. 

I am becoming numb to it all.  

The upside is if the performance is so bad they are less likely to just sweep it under the rug and keep him on for another year. 

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I'm actually not hoping for it. This year is shot no matter what, so you may as well ride Gase to the #1 pick. Plus firing Gase midstream probably puts Williams in the big chair, and Williams is precisely the kind of redassy football lifer that could con the Johnsons into taking the "interim" tag off his title come January.

Normally, I would agree with you.  But the last thing I would want to see is another season like last year, where we win a few games down the stretch and it saves Gase's job.  I don't see them firing him before the bye, but if we are 2-8 or something like that, which seem entirely possible, then get rid of him so he can't save his job by winning a few meaningless games down the stretch.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah but as bad as they’ve both been, I think it’s just more evidence that its time for a house cleaning. Gase may not have a job by Week 8

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

What about Cooter? He has been an OC in this league.

At this point, I’ll go with “whoever.” Bottom line is that the #1 priority for this year was Darnold not sucking and he’s awful, so whatev.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2