Blissful Zen Numbness

slats

I was talking about this all during the offseason: this team was going to come out SLOW. They overhauled their entire starting OL from last year. They lost their #1/2 WR and replaced him with a guy who once played four good games in a row. By the second quarter of this game, the Jets were out their top four receivers coming into the season (and Bell!). At that point, Darnold was down to Herndon, Hogan, and Berrios - and then lost Hogan! I don't know what people might've been expecting there...

That said, I share the anger over Adam Gase and his offense. It's not just how bad it is, it's how gutless it is. The play-calling is just about unwatchable chicken****. Adam Gase is talking up his OL? Then put some trust in them and take some shots downfield. As I mentioned above, you're down to just Herndon and Berrios? Then throw downfield to Hernon and Berrios. I hope they learned something with all of those pass interference yards at the end of the game. Why weren't they throwing where Sherman was supposed to be all day? I doubt they learned anything, though. If they fired the guy tonight, I'd be fine with it. 

But it goes against the Jets' history to fire a coach during the season, let alone this early. Woody's never fired a coach mid-season. Might as well strap in, because this is Darnold's first time in the same offense two years in a row, and they are highly unlikely to disrupt that by firing Gase (Loggains would have to go, too, right?) and having him adjust to a new set of coaches on the fly. 

That said, maybe the Jets are aware that Gregg Williams had some success as an interim head coach in a very similar situation not too long ago... ? 

I doubt it. It would be exciting, but I doubt it. 

So I'm watching for the stuff I talked about before the season started. I want to see the OL come together and become more than the sum of its parts. I want Gase to see it and get more aggressive. I want to see Darnold gain confidence as a result, and step into his throws better, and make better decisions.

And I want to see these rookies really show something. Mims needs to get on the field and dazzle me. I want to see more of Perine. Becton is already looking good for such a young guy, himself. 

People who expected this year's team to be good... ? Yeah, I'm sorry. This year was always about next year. Even if next year they're moving on from Gase and starting to with Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

People who expected this year's team to be good... ? Yeah, I'm sorry. This year was always about next year. Even if next year they're moving on from Gase and starting to with Darnold. 

So we're not rebuilding?  We're still in the teardown phase for this year and maybe even next?

If they're not building around Darnold then they need to get him out now.  I'm not kidding.  I'm a Darnold fan and I think he has promise, BUT if he won't be the guy then you can't wait.  You need to know both what kind of HC you'll have and what kind of QB you're going to have to build around (A Kyler Murray type? A Matt Ryan? A Brees?).

This could honestly mean the Jets are at least 3+ years away from having anything worthy of playoff contention on the field.

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

So we're not rebuilding?  We're still in the teardown phase for this year and maybe even next?

If they're not building around Darnold then they need to get him out now.  I'm not kidding.  I'm a Darnold fan and I think he has promise, BUT if he won't be the guy then you can't wait.  You need to know both what kind of HC you'll have and what kind of QB you're going to have to build around (A Kyler Murray type? A Matt Ryan? A Brees?).

This could honestly mean the Jets are at least 3+ years away from having anything worthy of playoff contention on the field.

In my opinion, the Jets are neither bullish nor bearish on Darnold or Gase - they're both a hold, with Gase being much closer to Sell. I think Joe Douglas is hedging his bets with Darnold this year. He's got him next year, and has the fifth year option and/or the franchise tag after that. I think he's holding onto all his draft capital waiting to decide whether he's gonna use it to surround Darnold or replace him next year. Unfortunately, it's up to the second youngest starting QB in the league to do it on his own if he wants to keep his job (and does leaving the Jets cross his mind... ?)

1 minute ago, jgb said:

This is bargaining. Jets are a house fire and sometimes you just gotta let it burn.

This is Joe Douglas' first year at the helm, taking over for probably the worst back-to-back-to-back-to-back set of GMs in NFL history. There's a reason he wouldn't take a job here without six years guaranteed - this team is a long way's away. I think (and hope) that JD is the real deal, so I hope that's true. If he wants Gase out and convinces Johnson & Johnson accordingly, I'd be down for that. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is bargaining. Jets are a house fire and sometimes you just gotta let it burn.

On a team that tried to start Frank Gore, Perriman and Chris Hogan today they called up guys like Josh Malone and Josh Adams....after signing Kalen Ballage last week.   Those aren't fire extinguishers.  Joe Douglas is absolutely letting it burn.  He's clearly not even willing to pay for water at the moment. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

This is Joe Douglas' first year at the helm, taking over for probably the worst back-to-back-to-back-to-back set of GMs in NFL history. There's a reason he wouldn't take a job here without six years guaranteed - this team is a long way's away. I think (and hope) that JD is the real deal, so I hope that's true. If he wants Gase out and convinces Johnson & Johnson accordingly, I'd be down for that. 

Sometimes you just got accept the obvious truth: this team doesn't understand football. I'm not convinced JD has as much control as we want to believe. The Johnson brothers have nothing else to do (after Woody returns from UK). They don't work. They don't produce anything. Meddling with their football team is like normal folks pudding around in their garage. This is their hobby. They ain't letting it go.

If the next HC reports to the GM, then I'll be ready to allow the curtains to open and let a little light in. Until then. More of the same is expected.

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets are further away from the playoffs than pretty much any other NFL team right now.   They have no players, they don’t have the coach and it appears they’ve ruined their young QB.   We’re looking at an expansion team right now, the playoffs are definitely more than 3 years away.  

If I am Joe Douglas, I'm very pissed I drafted a total beast LT to have the offensive genius head coach call delayed handoffs up the gut over and over rather than simply run behind the Big Ticket. Not saying that solves all the problems, but there's a tool in the toolbox here that is not being used. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

If the next HC reports to the GM, then I'll be ready to allow the curtains to open and let a little light in. Until then. More of the same is expected.

This is what I'd like to see, too. GMs and HCs have different agendas if they're not tied at the hip. GMs think long term and HCs need to win today. I do think JD agreed to work here because he was willing to (wanted to?) work with Gase, so I see him getting -at least- the full year. If Douglas decides Gase is the problem, each of them will have to plead their cases to the incompetent owners. 

Sorry case of, "it is what it is." 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

This is what I'd like to see, too. GMs and HCs have different agendas if they're not tied at the hip. GMs think long term and HCs need to win today. I do think JD agreed to work here because he was willing to (wanted to?) work with Gase, so I see him getting -at least- the full year. If Douglas decides Gase is the problem, each of them will have to plead their cases to the incompetent owners. 

Sorry case of, "it is what it is." 

Every HC other than Mangini under Woody has been a master back stabber and blame shifter. Gotta get GM and HC aligned for once.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets are further away from the playoffs than pretty much any other NFL team right now.   They have no players, they don’t have the coach and it appears they’ve ruined their young QB.   We’re looking at an expansion team right now, the playoffs are definitely more than 3 years away.  

Carolina and Jacksonville both made it to the championship game in their second year and they were true expansion teams. If this draft pans out and we hit on another draft class next year with a ton of ammo we can turn this around. It happens all of the time in the NFL.

Just get rid of Gase. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

Carolina and Jacksonville both made it to the championship game in their second year and they were true expansion teams. If this draft pans out and we hit on another draft class next year with a ton of ammo we can turn this around. It happens all of the time in the NFL.

Just get rid of Gase. 

But the rules for those expansion teams were extremely friendly to those teams.  The Jets don’t have those rules.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

But the rules for those expansion teams were extremely friendly to those teams.  The Jets don’t have those rules.  

Still, they made it in their second year which was unheard of at the time. Teams go from worst to first in the NFL all of the time. 

If we have the right GM and can bring in a good coach we can turn this around sooner rather than later. Look no further than when we hired Parcells. We were the laughingstock of the NFL....two years later we're in the championship game. It will all start when Gase is shown the door.

29 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That was a CFL team dressed in NFL uniforms today.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Darnold is coming up for an extension and it would be a huge gamble to give it to a guy your GM never drafted. I can't even see them picking up his 5th year option. Unfortunately Jets have to start their rookie window again with another quarterback in the draft. 

8 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Darnold is coming up for an extension and it would be a huge gamble to give it to a guy your GM never drafted. I can't even see them picking up his 5th year option. Unfortunately Jets have to start their rookie window again with another quarterback in the draft. 

They certainly won't extend Darnold until they know for sure if he's the guy.  Worst case scenario is he plays out Year 4 (next year), Year 5 (option) and they're forced to franchise him because they couldn't get a deal done at the price JD would want prior to Year 5.  In that scenario JD would have 3 more Drafts to find a replacement QB.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

They certainly won't extend Darnold until they know for sure if he's the guy.  Worst case scenario is he plays out Year 4 (next year), Year 5 (option) and they're forced to franchise him because they couldn't get a deal done at the price JD would want prior to Year 5.  In that scenario JD would have 3 more Drafts to find a replacement QB.

Based on what I saw today we won't need 3 more drafts. Should have our pick between Lawrence and Fields.

I fully expected this team to be bad. I only care about the right problems being solved. Coaching is a huge problem. Talent is a huge problem. Talent development is a huge problem. Evaluating what we have when Gore gets double-digit carries and Oeribe gets one series. When Sam has been coached into a box. Just badness all around.

This is why I have a fire pit and beer.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

They're not there, yet. And I don't think Joe Douglas really wants to go there. Unless the wheels really fall off, I think Darnold has another year.