One area where the Jets have really excelled

TuscanyTile2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet people have used garbage time performance to suggest Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold are actually good.

By Tuesday we'll be hearing how Darnold was gutsy and didn't shrivel up and die but showed balls and made some plays even with game out of reach.

• Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

But why?

He's shown flashes here and there and he's been dealt a crappy hand so far.  Again, if we're in position to draft Trevor Lawrence then, by all means, we should take him.  But other than something like that, I don't think he's been given a fair chance.

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He's shown flashes here and there and he's been dealt a crappy hand so far.  Again, if we're in position to draft Trevor Lawrence then, by all means, we should take him.  But other than something like that, I don't think he's been given a fair chance.

Kelly Holcomb showed flashes. That doesn't cut it. Again, pointing out that he has been dealt a crappy hand is an argument that he might not suck, not that he is good. Only good performance can prove that. And good QBs don't need laboratory conditions with every other variable controlled to identify. His body of work is a corpse. A fetid, bloated NJ mafia swamp corpse.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

He is in his 3 rd year and still the 2 Nd youngest QB in the game. What he needs are legitimate healthy WRs to throw to that can get separation. And to audible out of bad play calls. Like these fuken 5 and out patterns. Try calling some slants. It’s like Gase is allergic to the middle of the field. Need some YAC man

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

And yet people have used garbage time performance to suggest Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold are actually good.
One could argue a habitually good team trading multiple first round picks to aquire a player who plays a position which is not super hard to fill would lean toward the idea of that player being special?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

21 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

One could argue a habitually good team trading multiple first round picks to aquire a player who plays a position which is not super hard to fill would lean toward the idea of that player being special?

My argument would be a usually solid organization made a big mistake.  It happens.  

My argument would be a usually solid organization made a big mistake.  It happens.  
Organizations who have been successful for as long as we have been unsuccessful do not make those kind of mistakes. They did their research and decided that player is going to change their culture and help bring them into Superbowl contention.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Organizations who have been successful for as long as we have been unsuccessful do not make those kind of mistakes. They did their research and decided that player is going to change their culture and help bring them into Superbowl contention.

Well it was a mistake.  I don't know what to tell ya.  No SS is worth two 1sts and a 3rd, plus the $18M+ per season they're going to have to pay him now that he has leverage.

They gave up 450 passing yards last week and people are saying Adams had a great game.  Both of those things can actually be true, because SS's don't impact the game much.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Other QBs, like Minshew, have terrible teams around them and are way out playing Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Kelly Holcomb showed flashes. That doesn't cut it. Again, pointing out that he has been dealt a crappy hand is an argument that he might not suck, not that he is good. Only good performance can prove that. And good QBs don't need laboratory conditions with every other variable controlled to identify. His body of work is a corpse. A fetid, bloated NJ mafia swamp corpse.

The last 2 years he has played behind the worst OLine in football, arguably with the worst weapons in football(he was throwing to Malone and Berrios today), and two of the worst HC's in football. Tell me 1 young QB that would have success with that clusterf@ck. 

Well it was a mistake.  I don't know what to tell ya.  No SS is worth two 1sts and a 3rd, plus the $18M+ per season they're going to have to pay him now that he has leverage.
They gave up 450 passing yards last week and people are saying Adams had a great game.  Both of those things can actually be true, because SS's don't impact the game much.
Could be that they value winning now over drafting players who might not be good

3 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

The last 2 years he has played behind the worst OLine in football, arguably with the worst weapons in football(he was throwing to Malone and Berrios today), and two of the worst HC's in football. Tell me 1 young QB that would have success with that clusterf@ck. 

Again, all these arguments are--at best--an argument that he might not be as god awful as his performance to date demonstrates. It is not an argument that he is a good QB in disguise. Most QBs who suck in bad situations also happen to just be sucky football players.

5 hours ago, greengeek said:

We do well in garbage time at the end of each game and garbage time at the end of each season. We then extrapolate garbage time performance into expectations for the next game or season

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Geno Smith was always great for us in that GARBAGE last game of the season in Miami. 

14 hours ago, southtown24th said:

OL looks solid, I think

Becton missed out on the chance to go up against Nick Bosa for four quarters when the Niners edge rusher injured his knee in the first quarter, but he turned in another standout performance nonetheless.

The Louisville product was arguably the Jets’ best offensive player in Week 2, recording multiple pancakes and keeping Sam Darnold clean throughout the afternoon, not allowing a single sack against the 49ers.

It’s still early, but Becton looks like one of New York’s top talents in 2020. He’ll be tested throughout his rookie year, but he has not shown many signs of weakness so far in his career.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/new-york-jets-san-francisco-49ers-week-2-rookie-power-rankings-mekhi-becton/

They do not need Trevor Lawrence. They need to build a team that can compete around James Morgan or whoever.

It's like the red line in the Sand it keeps getting drawn a foot closer to its author. Every new generational QB becomes the target of the Jets... It's tradition why should we break it now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app