The Joe Douglas Honeymoon

sec101row23

Just now, slimjasi said:

Honeymoon is over.

He’s going to take his lumps this year - no way around that.

it would be nice if some of his draft picks could . . . you know, get on the field. 

Yes because we all know the injuries fall on Douglas.

Denzel Mims didn't miss a single game in college due to injury.  I'll give you the Zuniga one though, if you'd like.  He had an injury history.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, GreekJet said:

I’ve been a JD defender, but he absolutely has egg on his face. 

Week 2 and the Jets are trotting out Chris Hogan, Josh Malone, and Braxton Berrios?

Top 3 WRs injured. How many WRs did you expect JD to chase this off season?

1 minute ago, GreekJet said:

I’ve been a JD defender, but he absolutely has egg on his face. 

Week 2 and the Jets are trotting out Chris Hogan, Josh Malone, and Braxton Berrios?

What is it about the Jets, that we cannot field any offensive skill position players? Actually they are pretty offensive

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

The team got worse from last year to this year. Undisputed fact. Mike Maccagnan gets the majority blame for this team but Douglas deserves plenty as well. 

Things were always going to get worse before they got better.  Macc came in his first year and spent like a coke whore, winning GM of the year for the effort.  How did that work out later on?

Any opinion on Mekhi Becton you'd like to share?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I hope JD enjoys the remainder of his honeymoon.  The question is just how much longer that will be?   He will have the chance to fire Gase and get his guy, but this honeymoon definitly has an expiration date.  There is deserved criticism thus far, but it’s early.   I’ll reserve judgement on him for now.  

His first draft class just played their second game. I'm willing to give him some more rope, especially with the injuries and the whole Covid stuff throwing a monkey wrench into this season.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I hope JD enjoys the remainder of his honeymoon.  The question is just how much longer that will be?   He will have the chance to fire Gase and get his guy, but this honeymoon definitly has an expiration date.  There is deserved criticism thus far, but it’s early.   I’ll reserve judgement on him for now.  

I think it's already over. Remember, Joe Douglas went on national radio and television and said that he is NOT giving up on the season. That REQUIRES something better than getting destroyed in your first two games of the season. That's the only that can appear to be truthful. Joe Douglas WILL be the guy firing Adam Gase if need be. Joe Douglas WILL be selecting the Jets next HC.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Top 3 WRs injured. How many WRs did you expect JD to chase this off season?

But like, isn’t this the jetsiest thing ever?

if you polled people before the season and asked them which positional group can least afford to sustain injuries the first two weeks - everyone would have said WR & OL. 

And now, we are starting Chris Hogan and (Josh Malone?) next week, with Berrios in the slot?

And we won’t see Mims until we are, what . . . 0-4? 0-5?

I think Douglas planned to be bad. I think he wanted to clean up the cap and position himself to draft a new QB. I think he's erred because if they are this bad all season, he will have no honeymoon even with a new QB/Coach which will make the Jets coaching job unattractive...because nobody wants to come into a buzzsaw where the GM is on thin ice.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s fair to reserve judgement and he didn’t inherit much, on top of that he does appear to have played the draft process better than anyone we’ve had in a long time but having all that cap space and all those draft picks is only ever any good if you actually use it to procure better players than you previously had.
So far we have regressed in terms of talent. That is troubling 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Things were always going to get worse before they got better.  Macc came in his first year and spent like a coke whore, winning GM of the year for the effort.  How did that work out later on?

Any opinion on Mekhi Becton you'd like to share?

Love Becton. That’s been Douglas’ only good move. No other player on the entire roster qualifies as “good”, not a single one. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But like, isn’t this the jetsiest thing ever?

if you polled people before the season and asked them which positional group can least afford to sustain injuries the first two weeks - everyone would have said WR & OL. 

And now, we are starting Chris Hogan and (Josh Malone?) next week, with Berrios in the slot?

And we won’t see Mims until we are, what . . . 0-4? 0-5?

JD may be Idziking his old buddy Gase. The power of being in year 1 of a 6 year deal. No way Cheapodee and Cheapodumb cut JD before year 4. Idzik was a dummy to try this move on the backend of his contract.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Translation:  You really, really badly want to blame him, but are trying to crowd source opinions on when you think it would be safe to do so?

Not really, but you can’t ignore the complete lack of players on this roster.  I’m not going to blindly defend everything this guy does.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

The team got worse from last year to this year. Undisputed fact.

Mike Maccagnan gets the majority blame for this team but Douglas deserves plenty as well. 

I don't know if it's an undisputed fact as of yet, but if they are in fact worse than last year, it shouldn't come as any surprise. The Jets are a BAD team. They were already BAD before this season. They lost their TWO best players on the team. There's NO team in the NFL that can have that happen and still be a good team. The Jets were already BAD and they lost their two best players???? You do the math....

The honeymoon ends this offseason. He's getting a free shot with Darnold and Gase right now but if he picks up the fifth year option and/or doesn't fire Gase then he's married. Trying to get away with another wait and see year would be a disaster. They'd ride the easy schedule, improved roster, and lowered expectations to extensions of their own and regress and get him fired the next season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Not really, but you can’t ignore the complete lack of players on this roster.  I’m not going to blindly defend everything this guy does.   

The complete lack of players on the roster falls 99 % on Mike Maccagnan. 

I would have liked to add Demarcus Robinson as a cheap WR4.  That's the 1 % on Douglas.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1